A A A A Author Topic: Duplicating CS sets  (Read 1753 times)

L-33

•  
  • :
  • Tomorrow never comes, yesterday never happened
Duplicating CS sets
Post #1     : May 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
Just wondering if it's possible to duplicate sets, so different textures can be applied?

Eg, with path covers - specifically my alpha paths - is there a way to somehow copy/paste the folder after export, and just rename it? Would make it much easier to use the same path cover models, but with new textures, without having to run through the importer each time. Can get a little tedious.

I have tried copy/pasting but without much look, the textures don't link in - which I'm guessing is related to a path within the ovl somewhere - but maybe there's another way?? Maybe some funky trick in the importer that I'm not aware of??

JG59

•  
  • :
Re: Duplicating CS sets
Post #2     : May 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Easy copy and paste does not work.
You can use a choice of texture (Custom custom wall set), then only one texture simultaneously.
If you want multiple sets with different textures at the same time, then you must take for each set of the importer. The effort is limited, if you are using shared Textures for all, and save (Model XMLs and THM file). Then you need only change a few entries.
With OVLMAKE (good text editor or XML editor and CMD-batch) instead of the importer, you can automate the process.
(Note: Without knowledge of XML formats for OVLMAKE is it not possible.)
Excuse me, I can read English but not speak or write.
The Google translator is not my friend, he translated mostly garbage.

L-33

•  
  • :
Post #3     : May 19, 2012, 05:54 AM

Cool, thanks for that - I do use shared textures and save all the files, but I'm on a Mac, so might have to write my own bash script to automate, but I think I could work it out from that!

Thanks again :D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:33 AM by L-33 »

StationJimJr

•  
  • :
  • There's always money in the Banana stand!!
Post #4     : May 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hi L-33, it's just taken me 10 minutes to duplicate my custom wall set! Not too shabby say I!! I now have 2 custom wall sets working side by side in my game! There were a few minor issues and some things I had to change but it definitely eased importing pain! :)

I took my custom wall set (kept a copy safe obviously!), loaded the thm file and changed the theme name to 'WhatsisfaceWallset2'. Then made new shared texture OVLs and re-made all the OVLs referencing the new texture. Next I changed the set name in text strings to 'Whatsisface Wall Set 2' (which updated the group text in the scenery manager instantly!) and it was all done! - One slight issue here. I clicked detect problems and a couple of objects had errors with their names. I checked them and they were fine and seemed to fix themselves. Not sure why that happened but it's worth mentioning anyway.

This is my CS folder for my custom walls - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?emn4q0bjmqt7jix

It includes the thm file, ASE files, OVL files and an icon sheet. It'll save time should you want to make a wall set! You'll need to change the prefix to your own (you don't want stationjimjr!), which means you'll have to re-set the OVLs in the scenery manager too but it still beats doing everything! :up:

Please don't PM me requests, I don't wanna be rude but I'll ignore you!

L-33

•  
  • :
Post #5     : May 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Wow thanks!!

I do need some walls for my IOA stuff - so ill defo be using them if that's ok :D Might even add to the existing sets - they've always been a bit lacking in the wall department.

I wonder if this could be used as like a generic pool for standard pieces?? Something that could be added to by any CS makers - could save loads of time, as all theyd need is a retexture and some slight tweaking. Would work the same for path covers aswell.

10 mins to duplicate sounds epic tho - it took me like 40 mins doing it manually in the importer. Expect more alpha path variants in the coming weeks!!

L-33

•  
  • :
Post #6     : May 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
Just for future reference, the method I ended up using was this. Credit goes to Station Jim (see post above) -

Requirements:

1. A working thm file, which has been used to successfully install the set you want to duplicate

2. Your set must be using shared textures, or texture OVLs

Method:

1. Make a backup copy of the original working folder. Keep the backup safe, as you'll be changing the original files to make the duplication - this cuts out the need to keep updating the paths to the ovls, in the scenery list

2. Open the original thm file, from the original working folder (not the backup folder)

3. Rename the set, to the new name for your duplicate

4. Click 'Create OVL' and open your texture OVL. From the texture list, highlight the first texture (if more than one) and click 'E' to edit

5. Update the path to the texture file ONLY, using the '...' button - DON'T CHANGE THE NAME OF THE TEXTURE - otherwise it won't link up with your model files. Repeat this for any other textures you need to change.

6. Click 'A' to auto rename your texture OVL - this will use the new name, you specified in step 3, and will make it all link up properly

7. Open the individual xml files for your models > add the new texture ovl reference > delete the old reference and create scenery ovl

8. Rinse and repeat to recreate all your OVLs

9. Install the set

Once I got going with this, the whole process took about 15mins - which I'm sure will get quicker. Additionally, Station Jim initially suggested using the 'switch model file' button, rather than opening up each xml file individually in step 7. This maybe a little quicker if you're familiar with using this option.

StationJimJr

•  
  • :
  • There's always money in the Banana stand!!
Post #7     : May 29, 2012, 02:52 AM
Station Jim initially suggested using the 'switch model file' button, rather than opening up each xml file individually in step 7. This maybe a little quicker if you're familiar with using this option.

This is mainly because I don't save an xml for each individual piece, only the objects I'm expecting to tweak later on!  :)

Great tut Lee! It'll save lots of time!  :up:

Edit - Here's the alternate step 7! :D

So.. we've made an OVL...

Load the model, set the textures and coordinates system (I didn't do that :blush:!) all as normal, and then copy '1hFull' from the name box. Click OK for the next screen, paste the name and press 'A' for the LODs and we'll be here...

Then 'create OVL'

This is where the fun starts! ::) Double click on the model (highlighted blue under static models) to edit and we'll be at the first pic again. Now click the 'switch model file' button and load the next ASE file this way. What this does is keep the mesh settings and textures but changes the model and model name...

So copy the name that's now '1hHalf' and click OK. Back in this window, you'll see the LODs have switched too so all you need to do is paste the name and 'create OVL'!

In short - edit model, switch model, copy, paste, create! (and repeat!)

With a strategically placed pinky on Ctrl and a forefinger hovering between the C and V keys, you can reach speeds of 15 seconds per OVL! Yeah! :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:18 AM by StationJimJr »

Please don't PM me requests, I don't wanna be rude but I'll ignore you!