A A A A Author Topic: Three Mountains Park - some news and impressions  (Read 25073 times)

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1974 - sad news
Post #31     : July 09, 2011, 03:41 AM
Thank you, Efteling is a big compliment  :blush:
Btw everyone sorry if my english isn't that good, I'm german :)

Johan here. You got to see what was attached to my brochure of 1974:

It indeed was an insane law, and good to see the parties in question don't exist anymore nowadays. However, this affected zoos and parks in the mid 70s a lot. Three Mountains Park had to give up their plans to have a combined
theme and wildlife park (they wanted to expand with new animals in 1975), but so they had the chance to fully concentrate on their development to a massive theme park.
It must have been sad for the animals and the visitors who loved them, but what can you do against the law.
It's good to see that all animals found a new home in normal countries where they got in good hands.

Here's the brochure of 1974 with no new addition and some fotos repeating themselves.
Just the log flume got a small change, you can see it on the cover.
The change doesn't appear on the map though.

By the way, my mum found material from their visit in 1977!

Anyway, here's the new brochure.

Plokoon111

•  
  • :
  • Darkride Master
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1974 - sad news!
Post #32     : July 09, 2011, 11:28 AM
Its very hard to find a park that makes you so excited, and one that uses a great balance of presentation and great ideas into one. Its usually one or the other. The brochure is so simple, I can't believe I never thought of that. All the work to make it look as realistic as possible. The log flume is built so perfectly with the right about of rocks to make it feel as one big boulder with a log flume going out. The hotel is built so well, it almost should belong in the Las Vegas Strip with fountains in the lake. The layout and interaction are perfect. And the one last major thing you do well is not going overboard with your ideas and building material, and you don't make it to bare where there are blank spots. A hard achievement to pass. I'll obviously be following this as this looks to be my favorite park in the forums as of right now. So keep up the great work!
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

RCTDude

•  
  • :
  • God's in his heaven. All is right with the world.
Post #33     : July 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
Ugh what a stupid law! Oh well, the bears are sure to go then, man I'm gonna miss those guys! :(

The park keeps getting better and better (well, this post as an exception, but the way you're presenting is getting better!) :D Do you think you could make some POV's of the rides, like the log flume, Ghost Castle, Enchanted Road, etc? that would be really cool! :yes:

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Post #34     : July 09, 2011, 02:45 PM

Do you think you could make some POV's of the rides, like the log flume, Ghost Castle, Enchanted Road, etc? that would be really cool! :yes:

By the way, my mum found material from their visit in 1977!

... that much info for now ;)

Gello

•  
  • :
  • Waiting in Line...
Post #35     : July 09, 2011, 03:30 PM
^Well then I sure hope he stumbles upon a few old super 8 reels in the attic *hint hint nudge nudge*

Universal Park

•  
  • :
Post #36     : July 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
There is something about this park that is eye-catching. :eek:

TalismenF22

•  
  • :
Post #37     : July 09, 2011, 07:34 PM
Man :eek: this is Amazeing i would sit here and GAWK at this but i have my own park to Finish :closedeyes:

MeadowBrookGardens http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,13701.0.html

Beware Of Raptors With Open Doors

LMB10

Post #38     : July 10, 2011, 04:03 AM
WOW. This park's incredible! Everything makes the park seem really realistic.  :up:
Shame about that stupid law.

One thing I would suggest is perhaps just brighten the maps up, as they look a bit dark. But they're still great!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1975: Park Explorer
Post #39     : July 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Thank you all :-)

Hey it's Johan again.
1975 now, the bears are gone  :'( and the old safari style train got replaced by a "modern" monorail with "modern" colours. Oh well, the seventies.
With the big news about the law in 1974, Three Mountains Park gained a lot of attention in Engmany and in neighbour countries like Germany, England and other european countries. In 1975, the hotel suddenly had a lot more guests from other countries arriving.

Also, "Trimontis", the company behind Three Mountains (founded by the park boss back in 1970 after the park opened), announced a new park in Germany to open next year (Festival Park, http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php?topic=4850.0 - note from Elch: this is an older project of mine, but now the story behind my park company Trimontis is explained)

anyway, back to Three Mountains Park!
The brochure got a small change, there's some more information on the backside. The prices are in engman crowns, the local currency.

I hope you can still read the map, as the park gets bigger and bigger. There will be some big changes to the brochure in general, in a couple of years.

Btw my mum just showed me the POV of the log flume. She indeed found some super 8 films in the attic. I hope I can digitalize them until it's time for the 1977 update!

RCTDude

•  
  • :
  • God's in his heaven. All is right with the world.
Post #40     : July 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
I don't know about you, but I think the new monorail is better! It seems more...magical! :yes:

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Post #42     : July 14, 2011, 03:34 AM
I'm skipping the 1976 brochure, since there are no changes. No new fotos got used for it, and the map didn't change either from 1975. Just the area for the 1978 expansion got on the map... but it will also show on the 1977 update :)
Next update might take a bit longer cos I have to digitalize the super 8 films that we found from mum's and dad's park visit!

cap396

•  
  • :
Post #43     : July 14, 2011, 07:21 AM
Can't wait for '77!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - Brochure 1977
Post #44     : July 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
So it's time for 1977! I am still digitalising my parent's super 8 film, but anyway, it's better to do it all here in several updates instead of 1 big one.
So I already got the brochure for you! Not much changes, not really new fotos or views, but a teaser with artwork for what's to come in 1978!
Will post my parents' memories later :)

SubVoyageFan

•  
  • :
Post #45     : July 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
I really like the park and the flume is definately my favorite ride.  I was wondering though if you replace the other flume with a rapids. Would that work?
Stand By to Dive!
Aye Aye Sir! Diving

The Submarine Voyage!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Post #46     : July 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
The other river ride isn't a flume but a gentle boat cruise.
Rapids weren't invented yet in the mid 1970s and only became popular in Europe in the mid/late 80s and early 90s.

SubVoyageFan

•  
  • :
Post #47     : July 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
The other river ride isn't a flume but a gentle boat cruise.
Rapids weren't invented yet in the mid 1970s and only became popular in Europe in the mid/late 80s and early 90s.
Alright. I was not sure what that was.
Stand By to Dive!
Aye Aye Sir! Diving

The Submarine Voyage!

Plokoon111

•  
  • :
  • Darkride Master
Post #48     : July 14, 2011, 01:51 PM
Still looking great man!
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1977 video!
Post #49     : July 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
Done it!!!
As I said before, my parents visited Three Mountains Park back in 1977 and brought their video camera.
I now have the super 8 film clips digitalised and here it is, my cut of it, and no sound since my parents' camera didnt have an integrated microphone. So don't turn your volume up, it's supposed to be silent.

They have done this new 3-days-offer with 3 nights in a standard room. You can see the view from their room in Hotel Marina Star, their first evening when they just took the Park Explorer to get a first impression of the park.
Then on the next day the POV of Enchanted Road, Wild Mine and the log flume (unfortunately shortly interrupted right at the start of the last lifthill). They spent the 2nd day hiking in the mountains around, the 3rd day they didn't take the camera into the park, so it's just them saying goodbye to the park on the parking lot in the end, before they left home again. Sorry for the awkward camera movements, my dad wasn't really experienced yet by this time.
Unfortunately no video from the Ghost Castle, my dad needed his arms to calm down my mum who was totally freaking out according to their stories. My dad said she behaved totally over the top and other guests gave them an awkward look.

I also have some fotos (not from THAT, from their visit in general ;) ), will add them later!
Enjoy!

Gello

•  
  • :
  • Waiting in Line...
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1977 *video*
Post #50     : July 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
Awesome! Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

cap396

•  
  • :
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1977 *video*
Post #51     : July 15, 2011, 04:15 AM
Nice video.  I like the old-time movie effect.

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1977 photos
Post #52     : July 15, 2011, 04:51 AM
Some photos from my parents in Three Mountains!

In front of the entrance gates:

Now in the park, with Enchanted Road:

View back to the big fountain and Hotel Marina Star:

My mother Debbie near the tunnel under the Merry Go Round:

Mum and dad in front of the Park Explorer:

The big palm in the oriental themed area (mum and dad also walk through the pic which was done by a friend):

Mum at the photo point at the romantic river terrace:

The wave swing Wellenflieger and the big sign that announces the expansion for next year:

...and a final look back to the log flume, as seen from the parking lot:

That's all from my parents' visit at the Three Mountains Park in the 70s.
stay tuned for the big 1978 update in the next days!

-AR12-

•  
  • :
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1977 photos
Post #53     : July 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
Nice updates! It's nice to see some big additions coming now...

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1978: Alpendorf & Alpenblitz
Post #54     : July 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
First big expansion!
Three Mountains Park 1978 features the opening of the first proper themed area, the Alpendorf ("Alpine Village").
With this, the 2nd coaster came into the park, a Schwarzkopf jet themed as a bob rushing through the landscape.
It's name is "Alpenblitz" which means alpine lightning.

But enough talking, here's the new brochure... and a few postcards again!

Postcard with the centre of the village, the Biergarten:

Alpenblitz drives by Wellenflieger:

View from the southern mountain summit:

Overview of the village, without the Minigolf course (entrance on the left edge):

That's it for 1978 :-)

cap396

•  
  • :

Nevada

•  
  • :
I really like the small village,
although I dont really like the coaster,
It doesn't give me the alpen feeling,
I thought it was going to be in the mountains,
not in a valley, but it's your park,
you should do with it what you want, ;)

Nevada

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
yeah, I can see your point Nevada.
Maybe I chose the wrong name, but then again... where there are mountains, there are canyons and valleys ;)

Nevada

•  
  • :
yeah, I can see your point Nevada.
Maybe I chose the wrong name, but then again... where there are mountains, there are canyons and valleys ;)

That's true, and don't get me wrong, I love this park it's so real,
but there's just something about this coaster, It could've been alot better when it was inside a mountain or something. Just saying though, I don't want to be a story killer. :P
Keep up to good work,

Nevada

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1981: Three Mountains Tower
Post #59     : July 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hey again!
Sorry I was a bit busy in the past days, and I just found some postcards - didn't find the brochures from this and the past 2 years.
Unfortunately. But there were no new rides in these years, so you guys didn't miss to much.

But in 1981 the observation tower "Three Mountains Tower" was build on the central plaza, where it replaced the flat ride "Wirbelwind". The latter moved further away, behind the mini golf course.
Now the central plaza was "complete", the axis Hotel > Big Fountain > Merry Go Round > Tower > Big north mountain was completed.

Here I got the promised postcards for you!
I hope I find some more brochures from the 80s.

Central plaza - now with the tower, first aid, toilets and food stands:

Three Mountains Tower as seen from the still relatively new alpine village:

The log flume with the tower in the background:

Central plaza by night:

Hotel Marina Star with the tower in the background:

gcii2011

•  
  • :
Re: Three Mountains Park - 1981: Three Mountains Tower
Post #60     : July 26, 2011, 07:17 PM
Looking amazing as ever!

Streaming LIVE from RCT3: http://www.twitch.tv/gci2011