Disney Parks News and Rumors Discussion Thread

• 2609 replies

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Disney Parks News and Rumors Discussion Thread
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Welcome to the Disney News and Rumors Discussion Thread! Here we can discuss the rumors and news about any Disney resort or property. In this thread, you are encouraged to post concept art of new attractions, parks, resorts, or anything else about Disney Parks. You can also post links to videos that talk about Disney rumors and upcoming attractions, or videos of a grand opening ceremony for a new attraction.

New destinations for Star Tours: The Adventure Continues have been confirmed. Guests riding this new attraction will now be able to visit the planets of Kashyyyk, Geonosis (with an assumed surprise visit to the newly created Death Star), Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, and Tatooine. Trips to the planets of Endor, Bespin, or Alderaan have not been confirmed or denied at this point.

As mentioned earlier, these destinations will be combined in more than 50 different story adventures. Due to the large number of flights possible, Disney has revealed a new website, www.startourspassport.com where guests can make they're own Passport complete with a customized photo allowing each individual to keep track of all of their flights. Its has also been confirmed we will be departing from a brand new space port designed jsut for Star Tours.

Shanghai Disneyland groundbreaking has finally taken place!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/04/breaking-ground-on-shanghai-disney-resort/

Official website.

http://en.shanghaidisneyresort.com.cn/en/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:33 PM by Future Imagineer »
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Re: Disney News and Rumors Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Well I guess we can start with the bridge from the Magic kingdom hub to Liberty Square closing. It's today's update on Screamscape. This also means that Spectro Magic will either be detoured or not showing during the bridge re-construction.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:48 PM »
Oh no! not Spectro Magic! no!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ive never sen the parade but it looks pretty cool.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline OrangeWDW

• Universal Studios Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:56 PM »
OK Hey, I asked a Cast Member and They said nothing about The Bridge closing. I dont know so, SpectroMagic is one of the best parade at WDW

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I would believe Screamscape.com, they've been pretty accurate in the past year that ive look at them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:58 PM by snugle_wugle »

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:02 PM »
If they're smart they'll might refurb some of the parade floats at the same time that the bridge is out or possibly re-route it through another area. If it does close it will return when the new bridge is opened.
Any word on the WDW Space Mountain 2009 refurb?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:02 PM by erwinalber »

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Well im pretty sure they can't reroute the parade, they follow special devices hidden in the ground.

I havent heard much about the space maount refurb.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:14 PM »
^ Hmmm I never knew that they followed special devices. They must be down in the underground tunnels.

Disney Dreams Come True Parade also follows that route, same thing for that too I guess.

All I know about Space Mountain 2009, is that its going to be something like Disneyland's. Thats going to be awesome b/c our dome is bigger which means more opportunities, hopefully WDW won't screw it up. If they take advantage of the space they have it could be the best Space Mountain in the world. It deserves to be after all, it is the original.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 06:19 PM »
^
I think the devices are just in the concret/asphalt.

And all they did at Disneyland Space Mountain was replace ALL the track and add a few lighting effects as well as a soundtrack.

I still don't understand how you can get equipment inside a dome to lift track up and put it into place lol.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 06:25 PM »
WDW's dome has a few re-movable roof sections facing away from the park, it has not been opened since the construction of the ride b/c it has never received a real refurb, except for a few new trains over the years. However, it is still the original 1975 version. And yes, it is out-dated.  ;)

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Maybe that's how it was done at DL too.

There are rumors that they may updat DL's version of Star Tours in 2010. They may also bring back the People Mover.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37 PM »
^ bring Back the peoplemover? You mean they got rid of theirs?  :o

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Does anybody know about the new monorails coming to Disneyland. I heard it in person from the man who originally designed them, Bob Gurr. I met him last year and he told me many great stories about the past, and tipped me in on the monorail refurb.

^ bring Back the peoplemover? You mean they got rid of theirs?  :o
Biggest mistake they ever made, imo. They replaced them with the crappy Rocket Rods, which never worked right, were removed, and Tomorrowland was left with an empty People Mover track, just gathering dust and debris.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:42 AM by erwinalber »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I believe the new Monorail Red just opened up for guests last week, the new Monorail Blue should start testing soon.

And I didn't know that Bob Gurr still worked at Imagineering, I guess you learn something new everyday. :)

I always thought it would be cool if they put Star Wars speeder bikes on the people mover track.  [smiley=lolk.gif]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:43 AM by erwinalber »

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Well hopefully they put the peoplemover back or at least have Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which is exactly the same thing.
I saw pics of the new Disneyland monorails, they look really cool. Speaking of monorails, WDW painted the silver one recently and they have removed the classic D next to the front doors. :( But it looks nice and shiny. I have a video of it posted in the Disney Parks section.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 06:51 PM »
The People Mover was a classic attraction, although it may not have been very exciting, they should have kept it and made it safer.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 06:54 PM »
^ agreed. I think Disneyland should also get a copy of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Oh ya, I read this on Screamscape

They are removing MOST of the clubs on Pleasure Island to replace them with stores and restaurants.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03 PM »
^ hmm I guess Universal's City Walk ran them out, I always heard from people that CW's clubs were better. I'm looking forward to a whole bunch of new shops. Hopefully they will be creative ones.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:14 PM »
That might be true but it might also be due to that fact that the clubs are not kid friendly. I hope the shops are creative, but are not outside companys, I hope they are Disney owned and designed shops, that would make it better.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 07:25 PM »
I really enjoy The World of Disney store.  I hope they can come up with a shop as creative as that & also Once upon a Toy.

I heard a rumor about a design your own T shirt store.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Is that supposed to be similar to the "Design your own Mickey Ears" cart in Toontown DL, and the "Build Your Own Lightsaber" in Tomorrowland lol?

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 07:35 PM »
^ Probably.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Here at the things in DL you dont pay for the finished piece, you pay for EACH PIECE so they are even more expensive lol.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56 PM »
^ lol I don't know how this shop will run. Hopefully it won't cost a fortune. We're talking about the place that charges over $400 for an annual pass though.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 07:58 PM »
 [smiley=smiley_up.gif]

I think the custom Mickey Ears were like $20 or $25 maybe a little more or less depending on what you put on. But i think the normal non custome ones are like $15 so not that much more.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 08:09 PM »
And I didn't know that Bob Gurr still worked at Imagineering, I guess you learn something new everyday. :)
No, he's retired. He was just a consultant for the monorail project. He left Disney a long time ago to do other projects like King Kong for Universal studios (the exhibit) and some movie work for Godzilla and Jurassic Park.

I think Disneyland should also get a copy of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.
The Carousel of Progress was originally at Disneyland in the first place. (Well actually, the New York World's Fair) but they moved it to WDW and put in America Sings in the old carousel theatre. Now it's Innoventions.  :-/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:12 PM by admin »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline OrangeWDW

• Universal Studios Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10 PM »
They couldn't do anything about the parade route. They planned that route during its building ages. Magic Kingdom's Lands are very small and would not fit the parade floats. Adventureland, Fantasyland Tomorrowland would be very difficult. As we all know, The Walt Disney Said that the theme parks are film sets and the parade floats enters in the film from Backstage. The only entrance way to go back stage for parade floats would be the Frontierland by Splash Mountain, and Main Street by the Barber Shop and City Hall. If they were to re-route the Parade they would have to do some major construction in Fantasyland or Adventureland To fit the big parade floats.

I also want to give a few interesting fact about the walt disney world Magic Kingdom:

1) In the Jungle Cruise, In the Attack Scene, A Trible man says "I love Disco!"

2) The Main Street is like a movie theater. The Train Station is like the Curtain then you have the attraction posters (like the movie posters outside the movie theater.) and once you pass under main street station you open to the Main attration which is the castle. When you come to the Main Gates look at the Main Street Windows. They act like a Movies Credits.

3) They Pay thousands of dollars for dust in the Haunted Mansion.

4) Main Street is actually going up hill. So When you run and by the time you get to the Statue of Walt and Mickey, You feel Tired? That is the reason why.

If you want to know more please contact me in in pm

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Hmm, I see. He designed most of the vehicles for the attraction at Disneyland when it opened, so he is a Disney legend.

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29 PM »
The Carousel of Progress was originally at Disneyland in the first place. (Well actually, the New York World's Fair) but they moved it to WDW and put in America Sings in the old carousel theatre. Now it's Innoventions.  :-/
I knew it was originally there I think you guys should get a copy so we don't loose it here. lol

I don't know how Innoventions is thre but the one at Epcot is pretty cool.