Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3353 replies
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3240 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Ok, there is a new DLC(vintage), not an update. What I realise, is that I have not yet bought it, and I'm getting the 4Gb data pack still.

I feel like if my car dealer would store a car in my garage, and they left a notice: oh, by the way, you pay us(again!) to use it, and yeah, it will stay there, you can't remove it. Maybe I should just pretend to be happy and go about my day, everything's all right, because (we) at Frontier just needed to grab another quick 15 million $.

Seriously, this is yet to be AAA premium title, and the bill now stands over 130$ while come another pack of things I did not wish for.

So before I go off on a rant about how much I LOVE DLC(no dark sarcasm here, no! no!), I will just leave a blank line for you to fill it with anything you may think I would be thinking:__________________.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:13 AM by Abbittibbi »
-Imagination at work!

-We are the PC makers. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.

Offline Mikikiwasha

• Aka. SilentMember
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09 AM »
There is a free update today. Has plants and coaster support scenery. EDIT: And a free coaster. Wooden wild mouse.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 10, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Abbittibbi, The price tag for Planet Coaster and all its add-ons is worth every penny to me. I love it. It is my biggest hobby. And paying a few hundred dollars for a hobby that consumes thousands of hours of my time is actually, pretty cheap. If the price tag is too steep for you and you don't receive enough enjoyment to justify that price tag, then do what I do with relatively all other video games...Wait 2 or 3 years when the price drops. And most of the time, you can get a GOTY version that includes ALL the DLC for less than the original vanilla game was when first released. It is quite obvious that there will continue to be DLCs for this game and its getting a bit tiresome to hear you complain about it every single time that happens.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56 AM »
And if you don't get the car you can't use and the free flowers the dealer left for you, you can't see any of that car model on the street, only in videos. Definitely a perfect analogy.

I guess count yourself lucky you don't play any Paradox games or you'd be having constant heart attacks  ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 10, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Ok, there is a new DLC(vintage), not an update. What I realise, is that I have not yet bought it, and I'm getting the 4Gb data pack still.

The 4GB is a combination of 2 things:

1) The free 1.7 update, which includes:
  • A lot of bug fixes
  • A new coaster
  • Vending machines
  • Custom coaster support pieces

2)  The content of the Vintage DLC pack
Every time a game gets DLC, everybody has to download it whether they purchase it or not.  That's just how Steam works, it has nothing to do with PC itself.  For Steam, it keeps every user's checksum the same so it's easier for them to make sure everybody's got the right stuff.  Also, the devs only have to worry about supporting 1 version of the game, which everybody has.  If you buy the DLC, the download is trivial because you already have all the assets on your HD--all that changes is a flag saying you can now use all that stuff.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 10, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Every time a game gets DLC, everybody has to download it whether they purchase it or not.  That's just how Steam works, it has nothing to do with PC itself.  For Steam, it keeps every user's checksum the same so it's easier for them to make sure everybody's got the right stuff.  Also, the devs only have to worry about supporting 1 version of the game, which everybody has.  If you buy the DLC, the download is trivial because you already have all the assets on your HD--all that changes is a flag saying you can now use all that stuff.
Also, even if you don't own the DLC, if you download a park that includes DLC, you will still be able to view the entire park, DLC as well. So it must be stored on your hard drive whether or not you own it.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #3246 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Also, even if you don't own the DLC, if you download a park that includes DLC, you will still be able to view the entire park, DLC as well. So it must be stored on your hard drive whether or not you own it.

Exactly!!!  I found this out recently since I own ZERO DLC's but I am able to view any park/ride on my machine.

« Reply #3247 on: July 10, 2018, 04:33 PM »

I feel like if my car dealer would store a car in my garage, and they left a notice: oh, by the way, you pay us(again!) to use it, and yeah, it will stay there, you can't remove it. Maybe I should just pretend to be happy and go about my day, everything's all right, because (we) at Frontier just needed to grab another quick 15 million $.

Seriously, this is yet to be AAA premium title, and the bill now stands over 130$ while come another pack of things I did not wish for.

So before I go off on a rant about how much I LOVE DLC(no dark sarcasm here, no! no!), I will just leave a blank line for you to fill it with anything you may think I would be thinking:__________________.

This argument has come up before. Two options;

Divide the amount of money spent by the time played. I worked it out once to be less then twenty five cents per hour. Where are you going to get entertainment at that price? A movie coasts about eight dollars an hour around here, a broadway show about ninety dollars an hour. So twenty five cents is cheaper than a dollar cone at McDonald's!!! NO brainer in my mind.

Your second option is to walk away. No harm, no foul. You paid for a game you are unsatisfied with? So did I, and I'm sure everyone else has as well. Just don't play.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Just when I thought my eye-rolling days were behind me...   8|

Offline Grimshadow

• Life, Liberdy and the pursuit of Burger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10 PM »

I mean, I'm no Silvarret or Maylene, but hey, if I can throw this together in an hour or two, it's certainly succeeded.

Don't worry I did put flanges on the supports, somewhere. I may do the rest of the coaster if at all possible, I quite enjoyed doing support work for the first time in the nearly six or so years since I last used Moby's Steel Jungle in RCT3.
Have no fear and Don't look back, the Afterlife Awaits! - Alestorm, Captain Morgans Revenge

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57 PM »
So far, I like the new Flying Turns ride. The limitations feel a bit strict, but not unreasonable.

But does anyone else have trouble with supports sticking through the track in a few places when making a tight layout? Luckily, my layout had just enough room to adjust.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 10, 2018, 11:20 PM »
I just noticed something about the Mouse Hunt coaster...  It works like the Hoax ghost train.  Instead of each 2-seat car being its own train, a train is however many 2-seat cars you want.  Nothing moves until all cars are full, then the individual cars launch in sequence a second or 2 apart until all are gone.  Then the cars return to the station 1 by 1 and nobody unloads until all cars are back and stopped.

The advantage of this is that, because peeps comes in groups of up to 6 and these groups never split up between trains, as long as you have at least 3 cars per train, peep groups of all sizes can go on the ride, even with only 2 seats per car.  The disadvantage is, instead of a steady flow of individual cars evenly spaced around the track, the flow goes in bursts of however many cars are in 1 train, followed by a gap between trains.  Not really a big problem, though.  Just something to keep in mind if you want to run a lot of cars.  Overall ride timing is based on trains, not the individual cars.

Another interesting thing is how the waiting chutes on the station platform work.  It's different from a normal coaster where each chute is for a whole row of seats and each can hold the same number of peeps.  With the mouse hunt, the 1st chute is ONLY for the 1st seat in Car 1, the 2nd chute is for the 2nd seat in Car 1, then the 3rd chute is for BOTH seats in Car 2, repeat.  So the chutes will have 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, etc. peeps in them.  This seems to be necessary to make the width of the chute array equal the length of X numbers of cars in a train.

What I couldn't figure out was what JP said about 2 track options, gridded and not.  Is that a setting somewhere or does it come when you choose a track section, like when picking regular track vs. chain lift track, etc.?

Also, the custom support parts for the Mouse Hunt are named "support" but something else (I forget what).  All the custom steel support parts are named "Coaster Support" so are easy to find, but you have to search for "Mouse" to find the Mouse Hunt supports.  Too bad every single one of them is gridded---no making a Galaxi with them.

HOWEVER, I did notices something VERY cool.  Most of the gridded columns in the Vintage Pack are not only reasonably narrow squares (YAY!) but are also gridded to be IN a corner of a grid square, instead of straddling the intersection of grid lines (double YAY!).  This will be VERY useful :) 
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3252 on: July 11, 2018, 03:08 AM »
What I couldn't figure out was what JP said about 2 track options, gridded and not.  Is that a setting somewhere or does it come when you choose a track section, like when picking regular track vs. chain lift track, etc.?

The latter: When building there are two types of "normal" tracks.  Option 1 is the standard wild mouse layout, where all turns are 90 degrees, no matter what you try to set them to.  It's very limiting but appropriate when building Wild Mice.  [sp?]  I suspect they did this so to make the gridded support system easier.  The "track 2" type gives you all / most of the track freedom you want, but trying to custom support it with the gridded pieces is a nightmare.  You can switch between track types whenever you want, but if you want to go back and smooth later the track 1 supports will stick to their rigid limitations and prevent smoothing.

Too bad every single one of them is gridded---no making a Galaxi with them.

Summer challenge spoiler alert, I just made a Galaxi with them. Had to go with mostly the track 2 obviously, and the supports will be difficult.  I think you just treat each support piece as a single building, so you'll end up with a lot of separate buildings for one coaster.   Not ideal but if you line the tracks up properly there shouldn't need to be too many custom pieces.

My question is this:  I know the Wild Mouse does not support any other car types, but has anybody found if other coasters let you use the Wild Mouse cars?  My guess would be no but I'm still curious.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 11, 2018, 06:41 AM »
The latter: When building there are two types of "normal" tracks.  Option 1 is the standard wild mouse layout, where all turns are 90 degrees, no matter what you try to set them to.

Ah, OK.  Thanks!

Summer challenge spoiler alert, I just made a Galaxi with them. Had to go with mostly the track 2 obviously, and the supports will be difficult.  I think you just treat each support piece as a single building, so you'll end up with a lot of separate buildings for one coaster.   Not ideal but if you line the tracks up properly there shouldn't need to be too many custom pieces.

My question is this:  I know the Wild Mouse does not support any other car types, but has anybody found if other coasters let you use the Wild Mouse cars?  My guess would be no but I'm still curious.

I look forward to seeing your Galaxi.  I'm glad you're saving me the trouble of attempting that experiment myself (besides, I already have a Galaxi) :D.  But anyway, my concern about the Mouse Hunt custom supports is that the horizontal members are gridded.  This means they always have to be perfectly horizontal; you can't tilt them to match the bank of the track.

I'm guessing that if you can swap trains at all with the Mouse Hunt, it would only be with the Hoax ghost train, and any other future coaster that uses the same type of "trains" where the cars flying in loose formation.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Looks like there's a minor update today. Wondered what it was so I checked the notes in Steam:

Hi everyone,
We've updated Planet Coaster this morning to version 1.7.1! This update features a few fixes for newly-reported issues with park staff and facilities. The full details can be found below:

UI Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the text for Camera Effects was incorrect in US English
Staff, Guests and Facilities Bug Fixes
  • Improved the way win probability affects the happiness guests gain from crane machines and Zoltan
  • Fixed an issue where staff would get lost if the path was edited while those staff were in buildings
    - Symptoms of this included staff floating and staff not attending to their job.
  • General stability fixes.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50 AM »
And now we have 1.7.2 as of yesterday.  Among the minor tweaks I noticed this intriguing thing...

Adjusted the way shops connect to paths based on player feedback
- The original design was that shops should always be connected to paths
- This was not fully functional and was fixed in 1.7.0
- Based on player feedback, we have allowed guests to use shops that are very close to a path even if they are not directly connected

Haven't had a chance to play with this yet, though.  What's the skinny?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06 AM »
I'm not sure...I wonder if this will positively affect the way vending machines work?

« Reply #3257 on: July 13, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I tried and experimented with this and I can't figure out what it is. Any rest/shop/vending machine I placed near a path, but wasn't connected to the path...was never used by guests. As soon as I connect it...they used it. So??????

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: July 13, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Hmmm....

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

« Reply #3260 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29 AM »
Anybody noticing a dramatic increase in the advanced-move game crashes since the last update?  I feel like I just went months without one and now 5 in a week, I'm sure I've lost hours of work, (during a competition, no less.)   I even made a huge paging file as Rudi suggests in his video, and then had another crash the next day.  I've got 16G of RAM, this really should not be happening.  This morning I played for an hour, had the crash, and when I reloaded there were NO autosaves from that entire hour.  Ridiculous.

Most frustrating is that most google searches take you to the Frontier forums, where this issue that has plagued the game since day 1 is being reported multiple times in separate threads, and each time they act like it's the first they're hearing about it.   

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: July 15, 2018, 10:10 AM »
NO...BUT...I HAVE noticed paths are more finicky...like horrible for me since 1.7.  Seems everything is obstructed.

REALLY?!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:12 AM by Fisherman »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: July 15, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I haven't noticed either of those problems, but I have noticed that the "lit" versions of the Haunted House windows lose their images every time you reload a saved game.  They all go back to "none" for the image and become dark.

Over on the official forum, there's a bug report on this already.  It seems to affect all billboards, but ONLY if they're using a stock image, NOT custom images.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:35 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: July 15, 2018, 11:46 AM »
I haven't noticed either of those problems, but I have noticed that the "lit" versions of the Haunted House windows lose their images every time you reload a saved game.  They all go back to "none" for the image and become dark.

Over on the official forum, there's a bug report on this already.  It seems to affect all billboards, but ONLY if they're using a stock image, NOT custom images.

Yeah...I saw that too.  It's very annoying

« Reply #3264 on: July 16, 2018, 08:18 PM »
I wonder why turning off the collision doesn't apply to stations. I built a train ride around my park before I started adding the rest of the rides, but only gave it one station. Now I'm having a change of heart and I wanted to add more stations to serve each theme area, but I already built coasters too close to a majority of the train track. If I try to build a station, even with all possible collision detection turned off, the game refuses.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: July 16, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I wonder why turning off the collision doesn't apply to stations. I built a train ride around my park before I started adding the rest of the rides, but only gave it one station. Now I'm having a change of heart and I wanted to add more stations to serve each theme area, but I already built coasters too close to a majority of the train track. If I try to build a station, even with all possible collision detection turned off, the game refuses.

There are several possible reasons, most of which are due to how stations appear when you 1st add them.  Stations default to a certain medium length when you first place them, even though you can usually make them longer or shorter once you've got the 1st section of them down.  But anyway, if the 1st part, which might be longer than you want, is too long to fit in the gap in the track you made, or has another coaster track or path passing too closely above or below it, then you won't be able to place it, no matter what you have in settings.  So you'll probably have to reroute the track away from any potential crossover problems both above and below.  Or delete more of the existing track before trying to place the station.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Actually, you CAN do it...BUT...you must temporarily delete the coaster track sections that will cross the station.  Then place the station AND entrance, exit, and connecting paths.  THEN you can put those track pieces back.  Stations take priority so you have to put them in first.  Even if you just want to change the path style of the station platform, it won't let you if tracks cross over it so you'd need to do this technique for that too.

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #3267 on: July 25, 2018, 04:10 PM »
So I just realized that although you can open a park that uses DLC content, you cannot place a ride or scenery blueprints that use it.  Kind of a bummer.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: July 25, 2018, 04:37 PM »
So I just realized that although you can open a park that uses DLC content, you cannot place a ride or scenery blueprints that use it.  Kind of a bummer.

Clever advertising, actually.  Seriously, the DLCs will make your life SO MUCH happier with the possibilities their parts open up.  Not getting them is really cutting your nose off to spite your face.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline jasontrain

• Runaway Scenery Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48 AM »
It kind of makes sense though, if it was available as blueprints it could be a possible workaround to buying the DLC, I think it's awesome that they let you look at parks that have it though, not many games do things like that. That being said I would definitely recommend the DLC, I've used so many of the random bits and bobs for so many different things, and not to mention the new coasters are kinda fun  :D
Runaway Scenery Train
~JTrain
Feel free to check out my work on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClCZK-73gxPOuWUer2KUyyw