• 56 replies

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
Pendleton Theme park ~ Catawba 6/18
« on: February 11, 2017, 03:19 AM »

Thanks to Sebast for the logo!

Welcome to Pendleton Theme park!
More than 6 years ago I began my "big project" in RCT3. In 2013 I promised in my signature (see here) to post the finished Pendleton in 2017. Now it's 2017 and... it's not finished. I lost interest in RCT3 about two years ago and now the park is about over half finished. However, Planet Coaster was released last year. I started building a new version of Pendleton in PC and now I can at least fulfill my promise to post Pendleton in 2017 :).

I will post pictures of the PC version and the RCT3 version simultaneously in weekly updates. You can see the RCT3 version of this park by clicking the left side of my signature or clicking on the image at the bottom of this post. Because the PC version only has an entrance as of now the updates will likely become more sparse after 10 weeks.

Pendleton Theme park is located in the Piedmont Triangle in North Carolina and is of the same size as Europa park, Efteling and Seaworld Orlando. It celebrates the greatness of the country of the United States of America. Yeah, I know... 'Murica... Pendleton consists of 7 different areas:
  • Heart of America
  • Catawba (after the native American tribe that lived in North Carolina)
  • Los Angeles (in Spanish colonial revival style à la DCA's entrance area)
  • New York City
  • Rocky Mountains (celebrating the great national parks, a lot of "nature")
  • Miami (art-deco)
  • San Fransisco (many land marks)

I'll start by showing Heart of America: an entrance area with an exceptional amount of celebration of the US. The architecture is primarily themed after midwestern buildings, but also has some influences from up-state New York and the architecture in Rocky Mountain states.
Heart of America also features the centerpiece of the park: a recreation of Independence hall which you might have already seen a few weeks ago in another thread.

The park is filling up in the morning (seriously, the inflow won't stop!)

For security reasons your bags have to be checked first. But, what's that? No security?! Oh man, I don't feel safe!

And what's that? People don't want to go to this ticket vendor? Racism?!?!?!?!

Oh... The other one is letting everyone through! Oh well, they'll discover later that they can't come in without a ticket.

A nice entrance sign. In case you didn't know to which park you were going...

Some ride/show advertisement.

The entrance building/train station. It's basically a combination of three train stations: Yonkers, Denver and Lancaster.

What?! They're letting everyone in for free? Man, something's wrong with this park...

Directly after the entrance you can enter the queue for the train. Next to the entrance of the queue there's a real-life locomotive on display which was saved from demolition a few decades ago.

A close-up of the entrance.

See you next week!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:57 AM by FlyingDutchman7 »

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Pendleton Theme park ~ Entrance area
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44 AM »
The architecture in this park is amazing, especially the entrance building.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Miami deco is going to turn out. I'm sure that you'll pull it off great!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53 AM »

I love that all the great RCT3 parks sem to be coming back. I love this park and I like the bit of humour you're putting into the commentary.
Oh, and that entrance building with the relief lettering  :o :love:

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:54 AM »
That entrance is so grand! Making a real statement about the park. I can't wait to see what's inside!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline TOGOFan

• Everyone can be nothing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50 AM »
I had quite a laugh reading through that!  ;D

I must have missed this project back in the RCT3 days (maybe that was around the time I had left), but this is really fantastic work.

On paper, an entrance building such as the one you designed would seem a little too imposing for a park of this scale, but you scaled it out perfectly and designed the surrounding area to fit in with it seamlessly. It's really remarkable how you "made it all work."

Also noteworthy is how you're able to tack on these small details onto your structures (like the ticket booths in particular) to give them this distinct appearance that doesn't seem forced or tacky. When you start experimenting with pieces that "don't belong," it doesn't take much for them to look "off," but you pulled it off brilliantly.

Really looking forward to seeing this already-beautiful park progress. I love these "classic" Americana type of parks and there are surprisingly few of them.

"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:12 AM »
The architecture in this park is amazing, especially the entrance building.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Miami deco is going to turn out. I'm sure that you'll pull it off great!
Thanks! I guess you'll have to wait quite some time to see Miami. I'll probably first build Catawba and Los Angeles, because I still lack some good ideas for the Miami area.

That entrance is so grand! Making a real statement about the park. I can't wait to see what's inside!
Thank you!

I love that all the great RCT3 parks sem to be coming back. I love this park and I like the bit of humour you're putting into the commentary.
Oh, and that entrance building with the relief lettering  :o :love:

I had quite a laugh reading through that!  ;D

I must have missed this project back in the RCT3 days (maybe that was around the time I had left), but this is really fantastic work.

On paper, an entrance building such as the one you designed would seem a little too imposing for a park of this scale, but you scaled it out perfectly and designed the surrounding area to fit in with it seamlessly. It's really remarkable how you "made it all work."

Also noteworthy is how you're able to tack on these small details onto your structures (like the ticket booths in particular) to give them this distinct appearance that doesn't seem forced or tacky. When you start experimenting with pieces that "don't belong," it doesn't take much for them to look "off," but you pulled it off brilliantly.

Really looking forward to seeing this already-beautiful park progress. I love these "classic" Americana type of parks and there are surprisingly few of them.

Thank you very much. It's very likely that you missed the RCT3 version, because I only posted a few pictures in the Best Pics thread. You can view the real updates of the RCT3 version simultaneously with the PC version by clicking on the last image of each update.
I was quite unsure of if the ticket booths looked good, because they were the first buildings I made. I'm glad you like them.

------------------------------------
Let's start our journey through the main street/plaza with the left/southwestern part.

Close to the exit of the park is of course a gift shop to trick out some more money of our guests last-minute.

You might notice that (unlike in RCT3) I don't make any interiors here. That'd be way too hard with all the objects and beams of the facade that stick out 4m to the inside.

To the left of the building is the exit to the train station.

An elephant would remember the first iteration of this building in my RCT3 version: (Click). PC is such an improvement :D

Where would a guest be without information about the park? Probably crying on the toilets next door.

The last building of this update is the theater.

You can access the toilets either through the building or from a back alley.

Instead of information about the show that is currently being shown, we have advertisement for Gulpee and Cosmic Cow... Those damn multinationals have to advertise at every occasion  >:(.

The current show is the President's show. Think of Disney's Hall of Presidents, but better :D

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Love it! It's great seeing all these RCT3 projects translated into PC. That gift shop is absolutely beautiful and I love what you've done with the theater. Really awesome stuff.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Great update! The last shot is incredible!
Feels like a lovely park
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 01:11 AM »
Hey Flyingdutchman very good work.
I like the american style of your park. Very much nice details (im a fan of details, haha).
My most like picture of you last post is the exit of the trainstation.  :drool:
Life is a rollercoaster...

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 08:03 AM »
The amount of detail you put in your buildings is amazing. I mean, look at those cornices!

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
Re: Pendleton Theme park ~ Entrance area 2/18
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01 AM »
Yeah, you have to have been playing this game for a while to fully appreciate the magnitude of details involved in your facades. If I had just first started out, I'd be impressed nonetheless, but I would just assume that a lot of those pieces were "given to you for free," but boy did you have to work hard to get all that cornice work and window detailing in. Just stunning work.  :) And just how dimensional everything is (as in, you have the complete opposite of "boxy buildings" going on here with all the angles, divergent paths, and so on) is noteworthy as well.

"Cosmic Cow" has a nice ring to it though and advertisement for dairy products wouldn't necessarily be my first guess. Maybe there's some kind of weird sci-fi mixed with western type of show playing...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:03 AM by TOGOFan »
"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
Re: Pendleton Theme park ~ Entrance area 2/25
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Love it! It's great seeing all these RCT3 projects translated into PC. That gift shop is absolutely beautiful and I love what you've done with the theater. Really awesome stuff.
Thank you, masked!

Hey Flyingdutchman very good work.
I like the american style of your park. Very much nice details (im a fan of details, haha).
My most like picture of you last post is the exit of the trainstation.  :drool:
Thank you!

Great update! The last shot is incredible!
Feels like a lovely park
Thanks.

The amount of detail you put in your buildings is amazing. I mean, look at those cornices!
Thank you very much! Yeah, I basically made the cornices brick by brick (and then copy paste)

Yeah, you have to have been playing this game for a while to fully appreciate the magnitude of details involved in your facades. If I had just first started out, I'd be impressed nonetheless, but I would just assume that a lot of those pieces were "given to you for free," but boy did you have to work hard to get all that cornice work and window detailing in. Just stunning work.  :) And just how dimensional everything is (as in, you have the complete opposite of "boxy buildings" going on here with all the angles, divergent paths, and so on) is noteworthy as well.

"Cosmic Cow" has a nice ring to it though and advertisement for dairy products wouldn't necessarily be my first guess. Maybe there's some kind of weird sci-fi mixed with western type of show playing...
Thank you! I was worried that the layout of the plaza may come out as a bit too boxy. I'm glad it didn't. I'll look into a replacement for the Cosmic Cow advertisement. I wish I could have my own picture there :(

-----------------------------------

Next to the theater there are two little take-away shops: one for ice-cream and one for wraps. Both are themed regionally. No, Pendleton doesn't want to keep out all Mexicans ;)

The last building on the left/south-west part of the main street/plaza is "The Pointy Fork".

The Pointy Fork is a self-serve sit-down restaurant serving America's best food.

It's quite detailed ;)

The outside seating area.

Due to popular demand they also constructed a seating area across the road. For some reason it's not busy at all today!
On the left you can see part of the gate that should keep guests inside the entrance area when the park isn't open yet. The gates open every day at precisely 9 am. If you don't want to stand in line for an hour for the Freedom Flyer, you'd better be able to touch this fence at 9 am sharp.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 06:35 AM »
That cornice on the Pointy Fork is lovely. Care to share how it was created?

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:34 AM »
It's rare that I find myself looking at PC screenshots for too long, but if I don't do it here, there are so many lovely details I'll miss. There are all these little touches that you're able to sneak in, and not just for the sake of it, like they actually make sense, e.g. the Aztec patterns on that Mexelente building, the multi-color tiles above the entrance of Wiscon Ice Cream perhaps suggesting a rainbow color of choice in ice cream flavors, etc.

One thing I hope we get in future updates are taller and non-obstructive trees to work with, because they can really add to the ambiance of an area. You tried that with that Oak tree, elevating it to the highest point possible (even to where the roots might show but you hid that well with the planter), and it's what really makes that outdoor eating area so pleasant. Beautifully done. I can really see myself retreating there (provided it doesn't get filled with people), as those are the types of places I just love spending time in when I visit theme parks.  B)

Offline G Force

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • New Element Profile Page
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Love what your doing with the atmosphere and colors in this part, foliage is great too.

However I feel you could liven up the buildings a bit and open them up to guests, they look a bit dead right now.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Your facades and planting are the best!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47 PM »
The details on the buildings are amazing! Such great attention to detail. This park never fails to give!

Offline sam_

• I tend to change, that's nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05 PM »
You've made the vegetation so lush and vibrant. I love all of the different style colonial buildings, along with other small details like rest area. Nice work once again :)

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
Re: Pendleton Theme park ~ Entrance area 3/4
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 07:40 AM »
That cornice on the Pointy Fork is lovely. Care to share how it was created?
Thank you very much! Because it's way too intricated to explain, I uploaded it to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=876723558

It's rare that I find myself looking at PC screenshots for too long, but if I don't do it here, there are so many lovely details I'll miss. There are all these little touches that you're able to sneak in, and not just for the sake of it, like they actually make sense, e.g. the Aztec patterns on that Mexelente building, the multi-color tiles above the entrance of Wiscon Ice Cream perhaps suggesting a rainbow color of choice in ice cream flavors, etc.

One thing I hope we get in future updates are taller and non-obstructive trees to work with, because they can really add to the ambiance of an area. You tried that with that Oak tree, elevating it to the highest point possible (even to where the roots might show but you hid that well with the planter), and it's what really makes that outdoor eating area so pleasant. Beautifully done. I can really see myself retreating there (provided it doesn't get filled with people), as those are the types of places I just love spending time in when I visit theme parks.  B)
Thank you very much. I used the oak tree because I wanted a tree that overhangs the seats. I agree that it's slightly too short and that I had to raise it a tad bit too much.

Love what your doing with the atmosphere and colors in this part, foliage is great too.

However I feel you could liven up the buildings a bit and open them up to guests, they look a bit dead right now.
Thanks. I agree that I'd like to have more people entering the buildings. Unfortunately I cannot make any interiors (and thus open the doors), because all the elements of the exterior are in the way. Until we get CS and my primary focus is on the exterior, I won't make any interiors for buildings. However, I put shops inside the buildings in the hope that guests would enter them. Because I took these pictures just after the park had opened (my computer slowed down dramatically and guests are still streaming in), they just aren't hungry enough to enter them.

Your facades and planting are the best!
Thank you very much!

The details on the buildings are amazing! Such great attention to detail. This park never fails to give!
Thank you!

You've made the vegetation so lush and vibrant. I love all of the different style colonial buildings, along with other small details like rest area. Nice work once again :)
Thank you very much!
---------------------------

Next up is the right/north-east side of the main street/plaza.

Next to the big train locomotive is Monsieur Frites.

It's a take-away restaurant with a few seats for the parties with disabled people.

Red Fox Coffee serves the best coffee in the park. It also serves Frappuccinos, Caramel Macchiatos... just tell the foxy barista what you'd like ;)

At the corner you'll find the lockers building.

It's state of the art.

The last building is a shooting gallery. Why? 'cause 'murica!

Toss a quarter to these hot cowgirls and test your aiming skills!

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12 AM »
It's so jarring seeing the RCT3 update first, and then proceeding to the new and drastically improved Planet Coaster version.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 08:21 AM »
This is looking really good. And you're doing interiors too! :up:

Great work.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 10:24 AM »
How far we've come from those "noob RCT3 days" (AND I'M NOT REFERRING TO YOU, BUT JUST TO A GENERAL OBSERVATION) of just littering parks with giant, record-breaking roller coasters all over the place in a Six Flags fashion and it's those types of parks that were the most "appreciated." I'm not saying that those types of parks can't have their own charm either, it's just that they became so overplayed at a certain point that it required more than a little effort to make them stand out from the herd.

Here, we don't even have a roller coaster or a ride yet (will we ever? I don't even care at this point!), yet there is more than enough to keep us entertained. I have to say, I think this is the first time I see a shooting gallery in a section of a park that is not carnival/fair-themed (I mean, they're next to the locker rooms? How's that for weird?), but yeah... 'Murica like you said LOL. You've mixed and matched so many different sets wonderfully and in a way that doesn't seem obvious at all... loved this update as usual.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:26 AM by TOGOFan »

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 12:34 AM »
I like the lockers and the shooting gallery so much.  :up:
Nice work guy!
Life is a rollercoaster...

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 03:20 AM »
It's quite ironic that it took you years to create the park in RCT3, and in Planet Coaster you post a new update about every week. It looks absolutely stunning! All the detail in both the interiors, and exteriors. Very well done.  :up:
Click the banner to visit my thread!

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 04:28 AM »
This looks great. I prefer this version much more then the RCT3 version. I don't know why, but that looks kinda bad compared to this.
The new buildings look great, love the style. One thing I don't really like though are the windows on the round tower. They don't really fit in with the other windows of that building or the style of the street in general.

I can't wait for the first (real) ride to pop up. Very curious to see if you are going to theme those as much as your buildings so far :)

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40 AM »
Stunning architecture work. Sometimes i wish Frontier adds shyguys Mainstreets sets to the game.  :D
I'm glad that i'm in the prime of my health and i spend every single day in front of a glowing rectangle.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 06:51 AM »
What a beautiful park. Really amazing work. I can't believe the detail work.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 12:28 PM »
I absolutely admire your architectural style. I think it looks even better in PC, although we haven't those Mainstreet-set-collection.

It is one of those parks where the balance between details and the realistic look is just perfect. Hope for more.  :up:

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 06:01 AM »
That pendleton park central building is my architectural festish   :drool:

This park looks soooo nice. I compared it tot he one you are making in RCT3 and I like it even more in PC, even if the RCT3 also looks realy good.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 10:01 AM »
The brick arches you have around a lot of your windows are simply perfect. There's a building in my town which has brick like that and it's maybe my favorite. They do such a great job at grounding the building and creating a muted rhythm. You have a great balance between frilly details and building mass, something that can be hard to achieve when it's so tempting to just cram in details. Your color schemes are incredibly balanced and compliment not only the other buildings but the pathways and landscaping. This really does feel like a high definitin version of RCT3, where you've somehow managed to transfer over all the architectural elements despite barely having the pieces to do so. Your cornices especially are really top notch. I can't wait to see how the park behaves as you move off the main street and into more mundane territory, which is something I'm sure you'll be able to handle just as well. Keep it up, I love following both versions of this park!