SGW Screenshot Tournament

SGW Screenshot Tournament
SGW's very first cross-platform, multi-game tournament has begun! Enter in up to 5 different divisions...
 Planet Coaster: Rnd 2,   RCT3: Rnd 2,   Parkitect: Rnd 1,  NoLimits 2: Rnd 1, and Theme Park Photography: Rnd 1.
Click HERE for full details.

Kaleidoscope Piers: Kid's Cove kiddie rides - blueprints included!

• 720 replies

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Western area on West Pier
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Oh that DOES look familiar...I bet I've seen pictures of it somewhere.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 15, 2018, 01:21 AM »
Soooo...I covered the whole wall with a western backdrop

Hey, very nice!  Both the artwork itself and the effect it gives.  But you know, maybe you could work in an ad for Marlboroughs ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #692 on: April 15, 2018, 03:59 AM »
I like your art better than Knotts.  I would hang that on my wall.   :drool:

« Reply #693 on: April 15, 2018, 06:49 AM »
the mural is a great idea

« Reply #694 on: April 15, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Very clever idea! Love the area!

« Reply #695 on: April 15, 2018, 08:29 AM »
As always, it's looking excellent!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 15, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Thanks, guys! 

The rest of the West Pier is filling up nicely!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Should I post some sort of narrated behind-the-scenes videos or live stream build videos for this park?  Would anyone even watch?  I just got some fancy headphones with a mic and I'm dying to test them out.  Ha ha.

I don't know... I feel like everyone has some cool channel or nation or whatnot... Guess I feel behind the times. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:07 AM by Fisherman »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Question for you guys
« Reply #698 on: April 18, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Should I post some sort of narrated behind-the-scenes videos or live stream build videos for this park?  Would anyone even watch?

Well, first of all, I recommend deciding on your form of presentation based entirely on what your own personal goals are for doing it.  Getting into the video business in whatever form entails a fair amount of work editing videos, which is time you presently devote just to building stuff.  So if you're going to be sacrificing building time for video editing and related correspondence, be sure it's for a reason that's important enough to you that you don't begrudge the time.

Another thing to consider is avoiding turning your playtime into work.  IIRC, you're an educator.  And I'm sure most folks, myself included, would consider your videos to be great learning opportunities.  Not only are you a master craftsman, you're also a trained instructor.  Thus, anything you do live with audience interaction runs the risk of becoming a classroom setting and you'll be working instead of playing.  That might cause you to do less PC after a while, and we'd all hate to lose your contributions.

That said, I really enjoyed watching you work live the other day.  But that was mostly because it was a 1-on-1 fun evening with a friend.  It was exactly as if you'd invited me over to your house and, just as in real life, I feel the obligation to return the favor somehow.  It was as much about comaraderie as it was about PC itself.  I don't know if you'd get that same vibe if you opened your doors to the general public---might want to ask established livestreamers.

I would certainly watch videos of you just building stuff and commenting on the parts and editor tricks you're using to make things look so damn good and get the overall look you're going for.  This wouldn't help me get inspiration any more frequently, but when that does happen, I'd be much better equipped to handle it ;).  An issue here, though, is that all such videos are necessarily spoilers, so I'd recommend not releasing such things until after that ride/area/park/whatever is complete.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Coaster Cinema

• Planet Coaster Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 18, 2018, 01:25 PM »
I'd definitely watch a time-lapse style build series like Geekism, Silvarret, and Theme Park Worldwide do.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 18, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Really good points, Bullethead.  I think my goal is to just have fun sharing behind-the-scenes stuff.  I always enjoy seeing other people do that so I think it would be fun to share my stuff too.  I may start with just filming some brief tours around my park and add some narration.  I'd never get the fan base that all the gaming bigshots get so I doubt I'd ever do any sort of fancy channel that everyone loves...I just don't seem to get that kind of feedback even when I post stuff here or on the official forums.  I only recently starting testing the waters on Twitter and the various Discord groups.  Who can say though?  I never know what people like.  Sometimes I'll throw something on the workshop just because I think someone will get a kick out of it and suddenly it's really popular...but then stuff I work super hard on gets lost in the tide of projects pouring in from all the experts.  The point of my rambling I guess is that I suppose it won't hurt to try and see if anyone notices.  I'm always nervous about people watching me build because I am in no way an expert...  BUT...If my goal is just to have fun...Who cares what people think?  Ha ha!  I know this...I had so much fun just having one person watch me build and provide feedback as I worked (you) but I agree...a chatroom full of 5 or 6 people would be challenging navigate.     ???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:29 PM by Fisherman »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16 PM »
... The point of my rambling I guess is that I suppose it won't hurt to try and see if anyone notices. ...

LOL, you haven't noticed how much notice you get?  Take a look at the thread stats just in this one "Planet Coaster Parks" sub-forum here at SGW.  As I count things, on the 1st 2 pages (and the 2nd page includes essentially every thread that's been posted in this year), this thread is #2 in popularity and (24 pages, over 15,000 views).  #1 is Wonderworld but hey, the house always wins ;).  #3 is wowmanrct's Star Wars Land, and nothing else even comes close to these top 3.  Most park threads touched this year have only 1 or 2 pages, and only a handful have as many as 5 or 6, despite most of them having really excellent content.  I think this is pretty much speaks for itself as to how your work is regarded by the community here.

Or you could look at that Galaxi.  The original plain Jane version has 93 subscribers.  The same coaster as pimped by Fisherman has 304 :D.

So if it's more notice you want, I'm sure you'll get it if you increase your visibility.  The Fisherman brand is well-known for quality products.  But with that comes a lot of overhead at the expense of other things (not just producing stuff but running your own community), and no doubt while some folks will become total fans, others will see it as mere self-promotion and tune out.  Can't make everybody happy.  The real question remains:  would this make you happier than you are now, and thus justify the costs?

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #702 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08 AM »
I'm not big on the videos vs forum pictures due to the time commitment (on my part, that doesn't even include the time it would take for you.)   A POV at the end of a project is always fun and in your case sometimes necessary.  And I do kind of like that you've had so much success doing it "the old fashioned way."  I'll add to it that with your work I don't so much need to see you build it, I like the way you surprise us out of nowhere with something we didn't know you were working on.  That little bit of mystery makes it fun.

Having said that, you deserve all the exposure you can get.  And I understand that with enough subscribers there's a monetization aspect to it all (make sure not to cuss or use copyrighted music.  Two [more] reasons I can never be a youtuber.)   :P

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 19, 2018, 04:09 AM »
Ha ha! I guess I meant feedback vs. notice. Real feedback like when I ask for advice or help and hardly anyone responds. It's especially difficult to get feedback on the official forum. I agree... I will probably wait until I'm done with a ride or area of the park before filming a guided tour.  One idea I had would be to do a live stream Q & A /guided tour of my progress so far.  That could be fun if people want to see how I made anything specific I could talk about it.  Or if someone wants to see a different viewpoint or POV. But who knows?

« Reply #704 on: April 19, 2018, 04:20 AM »
Nono, we come to YOU for advice, not the other way around :P     As far as doing tours of the park, I've thought of that.  You can see so much more that way, and sometimes, especially when I post photos, I don't feel like I'm capturing the work well.  I'd absolutely find the time to watch any videos of this park, there's so much in here now that I think it would be cool to see how the individual pieces flow together.

I haven't played in the official forum but interesting that things are slow there as well.   I do miss the lively interactions around here, maybe summer will pick up?   

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Well, thank you for that, JPAlmighT!  If I can figure out how to do a live stream I'll try a Q&A tour of the park so far... Maybe just one Pier at a time?  Live streaming is pretty convoluted so it will take some trial and error at first.  Maybe I'll enlist a couple of you to be my Guinea pigs for a test.  Ha ha!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Ha ha! I guess I meant feedback vs. notice. Real feedback like when I ask for advice or help and hardly anyone responds.
This is something I don't understand. People have hours and hours to watch their favorite Youtube creators, but can't take 5 minutes to respond to a question or give some feedback in a forum. Honestly, there's nothing more boring for me than watching someone build in PC. And I don't have time. I'll take screenshots over video any day. That said, a guided tour of a completed park is something I would enjoy.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #707 on: April 19, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Derek, I've been following your work for quite some time and I know for a fact people would love to watch you build! I think making any kind of media content and sharing it with the public can be nervewracking. I say just do it and play around with it ;)

« Reply #708 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03 PM »
A video series? Yes please. :)

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Kid's Cove kiddie rides - blueprints included!
« Reply #709 on: April 22, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Okee dokee...I think the consensus is that at least some people would watch.  But I won't bore anyone with 30 minutes of me building fences...I'll steer more towards park tours with Q & A live streams and pre-recorded videos.

In the mean time, I made five kiddie rides!

Flying Swings - a mini kiddie swings ride, Dingy Dinghies a boat round-about ride, Ahoy! - a mini swinging ship ride, Swirling Shells - a kiddie tea cups ride, and Lil' Lighthouse a lighthouse themed frog hopper:

The blueprints:
Ahoy!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368256918

Flying Swings:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368257510

Lil' Lighthouse:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368257811

Swirling Shells:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368258094

Dingy Dinghies:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1368257247

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:00 PM by Fisherman »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 22, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Damn, the fake kiddie ride disease is spreading.  Sorry.  I thought I'd used GermX after every time I blew my nose :)

Very nice work individually but grouping them all in an area and blending them into the rest of KP is way better than the sum of the parts :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 22, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Thanks!!!  I had fun making them...   I wish the animatronic people weren't a foot taller than the peeps!  they can barely fit under the umbrellas

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42 AM »
So cute Fisherman. Its all really coming together little by little. I just keep staring at each photo reminiscing of my trips to Santa Cruz beach boardwalk as a child and being in complete awe and thinking how magical it all was. Your giant, theme park style rides placed across the wooden decks of three piers jutting out into the sea creates such a fantastical representation of the tones of boardwalks everywhere and Im just in love. Great stuff as always.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Zurg

• BMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Brilliant work as usual Fisherman! I'm adding all of them to my collection
Check EUROPA GARDENS in the parks section!

« Reply #714 on: April 24, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Wonderful work as always!

Love those rides. I also just noticed the "Pirate Show" against the back of the Ahoy ride. Very clever!

You might want to add balloon vendors, stuffed animal booths, etc. The kind of stuff kids would be drawn to.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Thanks, guys!

So cute Fisherman. Its all really coming together little by little. I just keep staring at each photo reminiscing of my trips to Santa Cruz beach boardwalk as a child and being in complete awe and thinking how magical it all was. Your giant, theme park style rides placed across the wooden decks of three piers jutting out into the sea creates such a fantastical representation of the tones of boardwalks everywhere and Im just in love. Great stuff as always.

Awww thanks!  That's very inspiring!

Wonderful work as always!

Love those rides. I also just noticed the "Pirate Show" against the back of the Ahoy ride. Very clever!

You might want to add balloon vendors, stuffed animal booths, etc. The kind of stuff kids would be drawn to.

Great idea about the vendors!  I'll have to squeeeeeze them in.  Not a lot of room left!  And glad you noticed the pirate show.  The back of it made a great backdrop for the Ahoy! ride.  And thanks for letting me show you around the park last night and for helping me test out my mic!

« Reply #716 on: April 24, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Perhaps the area along the edge of the pier itself? Most piers block off access to the water for liabilities sake. I know it's only a game, but...

And thank you! I loved it, and was inspired enough to go and buy a mike myself!

Offline TheMagician

• A Magician never reveals his tricks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Fantastic work as always Fisherman! These are so cute, and look perfectly scaled, thanks for sharing them.  :D

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #718 on: April 24, 2018, 09:12 AM »
like those kiddie rides ahahah :D
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter!
// !Youtube
 // !Twitch

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 24, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Perhaps the area along the edge of the pier itself? Most piers block off access to the water for liabilities sake. I know it's only a game, but...

And thank you! I loved it, and was inspired enough to go and buy a mike myself!

Neato!  It's certainly easier to talk than type. I wonder if we can hear each other? Oh and I figured out how to get the chat window to move to my second monitor while I'm in the game.