(TUT) Adjusting Auto Save Function

• 9 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
(TUT) Adjusting Auto Save Function
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Every time the game makes an auto save, it stutters and pauses. The bigger your park, or slower your computer, the worse this gets. It's particularly annoying if you are making a POV video. You can change the amount of time between auto saves as well as change the number of saves.

What you need to do is edit the planet coaster "Save_remote.config.xml" file.
It can be found here...
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\(yoursteamid)\Config

Here's what it looks like...

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Save_remote>
<Autosave preset="Custom" version="1">
<SaveType>
<Name>prk_auto</Name>
<Interval>600.000000</Interval>
<Count>3</Count>
</SaveType>
</Autosave>
</Save_remote>

To change the amount of time between saves, you need to edit the interval number, which is 600.000000 by default. This is the amount in seconds. So 600 seconds = 10 minutes. Just multiply the number of minutes you want to set it to by 60.

Examples...
15 minutes: 15 x 60 = 900
30 minutes: 30 x 60 = 1800
45 minutes: 45 x 60 = 2700
60 minutes: 60 x 60 = 3600

To change the number of auto saves the game makes, simply change the count number from 3 to whatever you want it to be.

I don't know if there are any limits to these numbers, nor do I know if it is possible to disable auto save altogether. Hopefully Frontier will add this to an in-game menu to make adjusting these numbers much easier. But until then, this is how to do it.

Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline cap396

• View Profile
Re: (TUT) Adjusting Auto Save Function
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:12 PM »
The stutter is one of the most annoying things in the game, especially if I want to do a video or ride a coaster.  Thanks for this solution, I will definitely give this a try.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Nice find. Thanks!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 06:43 AM »
Oh thanks, that is very useful!
Click the banner to visit my thread!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 06:29 PM »
The recent fix for the advanced move crash has made this trick extremely relevant.  It seems they opted to lock you out of being able to do any game activity until the auto-save completed.  As my current project grew larger the lengthy auto-save lockouts were becoming more and more intrusive, and often resulted in scenery getting placed somewhere other than where I was trying to put it.

Despite building in my largest park file yet, I have not had this game crash on me for over 2 months now.  So having frequent autosaves is no longer as necessary.  Today I used this "cheat" to move the auto-saves to 30 minutes, which is about how often I'd be saving the game myself, and it worked very well.  I highly recommend this for anyone building a large park (unless you are still having game crash issues, then by all means keep those autosaves firing!)   :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15 AM »
One thing I've noticed, at least on my system, is that the times are inconsistent. Like I'll set it to be 30 minutes but the game saves every 20 minutes.  It's weird.  But at least it's better than every 10 minutes.  Ha ha.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:20 AM »
One thing I've noticed, at least on my system, is that the times are inconsistent. Like I'll set it to be 30 minutes but the game saves every 20 minutes.  It's weird.  But at least it's better than every 10 minutes.  Ha ha.
it on PlanCo time where everything moves faster than real life.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:57 AM »
I still get the occasional advanced move + duplicate crash but otherwise the game is very stable for me.  So thanks for reminding me of this tweak, as the periodic game freeze for autosaves is indeed bothersome.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 03:41 PM »
it on PlanCo time where everything moves faster than real life.

Ha ha probably so.