Disney's Dark Kingdom: updated 6-28-2018 (WIP)

• 73 replies

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Disney's Dark Kingdom: updated 6-28-2018 (WIP)
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Fist time posting a park here.  I have been lurking for a while (since RCT2 actually) and playing Planet Coaster since release; 567 hours so far  :-[ .

So I started this project, meant to showcase the Disney Villains, which will probably eventually cause my computer to slow to a crawl, but I don't care.  I guess I can always delete buildings saved as a blueprint in order to continue.

I started using a blueprint I uploaded myself to the workshop, which is an empty park with a parking lot and a plaza, using a challenge scenario because I do like to play with money on (not that it makes a difference).  If anyone is interested you can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919910664

I filled the parking lot with some buses and cars from the workshop

Then started building the entry plaza:

Guest services on the right, some ticket booths on the left and a center fountain to bring it to life.
A splash of colored lights on the entrances.

Like any "Kingdom" park, it needs a Disney train at the entrance, with some evil eyes lurking underneath to keep it villain friendly.

A mobility center is also available at the entrance to rent EVs and Strollers

On the other side, the station is inspired by Victoria Station, since the main street has a UK theme.

And I have more to show, but I will continue this later.   I expect this park is going to take a while to build.  I have a master plan already for the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:24 AM by Muserato »

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom project (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 04:06 PM »
This is very cool! I love that car park and especially that bus! Such a shame the 4th picture isn't there though  :(

I'm interested to see what you're gonna make of this

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:10 PM »
Welcome aboard!  I really like your architecture!  And yes, anything with the level of detail you've begun with is going to take some time :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline coasterkidjacob

• Coaster creations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I really love the idea of this park!  I really love your entrance train station and I can't wait to see whats in store for this park!

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Welcome to SGW.

So far this looks fabulous. I love all the attention to detail. The only thing that I'm not too crazy about is the station. I think if you lowered the red sections one story, it would look less blocky. But I know that would take a lot of work, but I offer this merely as a suggestion. Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this park evolves.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom project: Update 2 (WIP)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement  ;D .   I see what you mean Shyguy, I was going for closer to Victoria Station, but your suggestion would make it look more theme park-ish.  I might just do it one day if I feel brave enough.  But knowing me, I will redo the entire entry plaza at some point, LOL.

So to the right of the entry plaza I placed the entrance to House of De Vil (hence the UK themed main street and entry plaza).  The building is inspired by Minster Hall, the filming location of the live action 101 Dalmatians with Glenn Close; most of it is actually inspired by the live action movie, unless specified.  The Luna cars run down the main street as you can tell.  I limited the number of places that the peeps can cross to give some piece of mind to the lawyers, although they are still having nightmares about it.  Cruela's Car to the right (OUAT version, can be downloaded from my workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=934032139)

I like to torture my peeps so i made the queue kind of long... but interesting.  After climbing up a level so they can go over the station, they arrive at the runway in Cruela's office.  I am not fully happy with the size of this room, but i don't want to make it taller so it remains mostly hidden from main street.  I wish we had thinner tubes that could work for this, anyone have any suggestions?

A corridor to connect the sections of the queue, featuring The Scream, wonderfully made by SPRidley (Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813945516)

Cruela's office.  Lots of black and white, and I could not find a better way to make the weird contraption in the middle of her office.

Down the other side they walk past her Mansion.

Reaching the end of the line, they turn into the garage, walking past Jasper and Horace's truck (based on the animated movie, link to my workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949732033).  This is where the Fast Pass line merges.  Also, it was about time for a hidden mickey.

And finally they get to ride... "a Luna Car?  really! all that time in line for a Luna Car?..."  Well, yes, this is Disney, you should have gotten a Fast Pass  ;)

Must have a store at the exit, also added a bathroom at the exit of the ride because they have been in that line so long (I'm not THAT mean).

It seemed fitting to have a Hat store for Jasper and a Sandwich shop for Horace.  The Hat store is inspired by Floral hall in London (not related to the movie, just thought it was a cool building).

So that's it for now.   I know Disney doesn't usually put rides in their main street, but i wanted to keep it alive.  Otherwise the peeps will go everywhere in the park and the main street will be empty with stores that keep closing.

If anyone wants any of these buildings or rooms in the workshop, please let me know.  Any suggestions? things I may have missed?

BTW I am not doing an On Ride of this yet because the main street is not finished.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:25 PM by Muserato »

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom project: updated 6-18-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:44 AM »
This is SO GOOD!" Love the station / pre-show for Cruela's ride. And those dalmatian prints outside.... !!! :love:

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Nice of you coming around to this fine forum, thank you for building and sharing in Planet Coaster as well, very much appreciated.

This is a very nice construction indeed, as it seem to have awesome potential tagged over it. Very nice skill at taking picture too. Your imagination with simple shapes used as pattern for wall and floor is a great idea, as well as the vehicules you have created. The runway to Cruela's office is very nice as well. Nice usage of wires, and sugar made pieces(i don't recall the name of the set) to create metallic object too.

Overall very nice, untill next time...

Welcome to this community.
-Imagination at work!

-We are the PC makers. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.

Offline coasterkidjacob

• Coaster creations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:53 AM »
This is phenomenally creative and greatly executed!  I really love this  :love:  and I like Cruela's Office

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Beautiful lighting in the room with the paintings. AND THAT CAR!  :w00t:

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Disney's Dark Kingdom was always a very intriguing idea, so it's going to be interesting to see someone's take on it. I really like what you've done so far, and I think you've taken the "dark" theme to the extent that it's interesting without having an overly foreboding feel to it, so it still feels very Disney! :)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I think I see a hidden Mickey?

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Lots of "wow" on this project, and you're just getting started.  I love the high-concept, and that the concept seems to be in very capable hands.  If all of your attractions get the same attention as the Dalmations tribute, this is truly going to be something spectacular.

Those mirrors... NICE!

And it just occurred to me that there's more to see on this ride, as in, the actual ride itself!   :P  I'm anxious to see what you've done with it.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom: updated 6-24-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  It's keeping me going.

I will go more into the darker side of things with the adult-only roller coasters, but Disney is after all a park for all ages, so I don't want to scare the little ones; they need stuff to ride too.  I will also be going a little more obscure as you will see from this post.  I am not sticking just to the main villains, but going a little further and bringing in older movie references as well.

So here is the other side of main street (opposite to the previous post)

The  information (guest services building) is sponsored by Alonzo Hawk and Sons.  He finally has Herbie, The Love Bug, in a bind (Herbie is in my workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933920144).  He probably has Flubber hidden somewhere out of sight.  Structure inspired by the Bank of England building.

Next to it, just a facade inspired by The George on fleet street (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937778294).  And to the right, the exit building to the ride, coming up in this post.  Inspired by the Baker Street station it has some shops inside.  Note that the Cruella Cars are going in there, and apparently they are about to run someone over,  :no: :whistling:

Following is the entrance to Ratigan's Airdrome, (from The Great Mouse Detective).  Facade inspired by the Sherlock Holmes museum.  To the right, is Fidget's drink shop called The Pegged Leg, which sells fruity drinks as any bat running a pub should.

As you make your way through Basil's office, you discover a not so secret entrance to Ratigan's Lair.

Inside you find Ratigan's death machine with a ballista, an ax, a gun and an anvil ready to get whoever is caught in the mouse trap.  And of course Felicia is waiting in the wings for any escapees.

Eventually you board the Ballons as Ratigan's airship looms high above as you circle around London inspired buildings.  (Modified versions of the ones found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812998112;  Big Ben modified from: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799941459)

I will probably make changes using billboards at some point, we'll see.  I will probably try to modify that awful R in Ratigan's airship, I can't get one that is decent with the fonts that are in-game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:02 PM by Muserato »

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 02:47 PM »
This is becoming one of my favorite projects. The only thing it may be lacking just a bit, is the fantasy look of the Disney films it's portraying. Everything looks very realistic, even the parts from the animated films. Maybe add a little whimsy and some splashes of color. I don't know. I'd probably struggle with that myself. I still love the concept and the unique ideas from the some of the older classics.

Offline sam_

• I tend to change, that's nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 02:14 AM »
I agree with shyguy. The ingame scenery especially fairytale themed work pretty well if you use them carefully. I really like your entrance to the park along with the different rides you have so far. I suggest also maybe adding colored flood lamps or smaller area lamps to bring a little atmosphere to your shots. Looking forward to your next update! :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Wow, look at all that stuff!  Very, very nice architecture and building details.  Excellent work!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom: update 7-16-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Sooooo... No, I did not forget about this park.  I had an previously unforeseen layout issue which forced me to mirror the entire Main street  :o , and we all know how easy it is to mirror stuff in Plant Coaster, right!? right!?

So since I was at it, I took some of the awesome suggestions you guys provided  :up:  and I made some improvements to the preexisting buildings and to the main road, which was originally so narrow that was causing huge clogs at the entrances of the rides.  All this is taking a while.

Just a couple of screenshots for now of the redone main street.  Will post more updated stuff later.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:25 PM by Muserato »

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom: update 7-21-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Ok, some of the rework and some newer things, not quite finished yet.

Why did I have to mirror my main street?   For starters, i realized that this main street was supposed to be UK based, so the Luna Cars were driving in the wrong side of the road.   I also had a replica of the Tower Bridge, which the Luna cars would use to cross over the main street, but I was never happy with it and it was unruly as heck.   I am building one more flat ride accessible from main street, which I originally had on the left side as you enter, but that would put it's back to the "Tomorrowland" side, where it works much better if the back of it faces the Missadventureland side.

Taking advantage of the disaster that was mirroring the main street I redid the train station to give it more depth, and also lower the red sections a tad as Shyguy suggested (although i think he meant to do it by more than what I actually did).  This allowed me to add some additional queue line, and add elevators for handicap access to both sides of the station.  And a couple of hidden mickeys  :P

That also allowed for the addition of lockers and ATM's at the base of the station.  i feel is a little bare down there so it probably needs a second pass.  Any suggestions?

One last look from the front, as you notice i added some metal work at the top to disneyfy it a bit.

In main street, some buildings got a new coat of paint, some others planters, and some lights to add a little more whimsy as some suggested.   It was definitely a little grey before.  The baker street station, exit to the Ratigan ride, got some tables and a few decorations as well as a coat of paint.

Fidget's drink shop got some fairy lights and a coat of paint, some bathrooms were needed as well.

Floral hall also got a similar treatment, I didn't really do much with the Minster Court building.

The queue for the Ratigan Airdrome got a more immersive queue.  I still think it needs one more pass, but it is way better than the one before.   I changed Felicia for a screen instead of the million art pieces, but I need to improve the image, it's too light.

Horace's sandwich shop got expanded from a simple stall with a couple of tables to a full restaurant with tables in the back and front.  It is also connected to some toilets and the exit of the Cruella Cars in the back.   The screens need menus.

The Luna Cars got a better transition from the exit of the station into main street.  Now they go through a courtyard and Cruella's car got moved into that courtyard from the street (now that the entire street is walkable)

NEW THINGS!

Some are not quite finished, but what the heck, suggestions for improvement are requested and appreciated.   The underground station will take the guests from main street using a monorail that will emerge overground going to Sanfransokyo.  The red bus is from the workshop, I did not make that one.

Skinner took over Gusteau's and replaced it with a corndog restaurant, he loves the little winnies  ;D

Skinner's has a little terrace on the side so people could sit and eat.

Club 33 is on the opposite side of the street to Skinners, inspired by the Harrods building.  Still needs a door in the middle, the path internally will go into a store and have access to the entrance and exit of the underground station.  That sign is probably gonna go.

That's it for now.   Please give me feedback, I really like when you guys give me constructive criticism.   It makes me rethink stuff and makes me better at this.  Thanks for all your help so far  :up:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:07 AM by Muserato »

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Disney Dark Kingdom: updated 7-21-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 09:49 AM »
This is turning into a truly amazing park. It feels very Disney-like in terms of execution. I particularly like the purple lighting you have on some of the buildings, particularly Fidget's. It gives it a nice mysterious quality that fits well with the idea of the park. I also love the Skinner's facade and the frites signage.

To answer your question about the locker/ATM area, I think it is just fine. Those areas are usually a bit more utilitarian anyway, even in a Disney park. But, if you're set on adding more to it, some pictures/murals on the walls or perhaps some more elaborate lighting fixtures may do the trick. :)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Really nice work!  I approve of the improvements ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 09:21 AM »
this  is beautiful

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney's Dark Kingdom: updated 7-26-2017 (WIP)
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 08:36 PM »
One more down,

Just past Fidget's Drink shop you will find the Market at Portobello Road, the street where the riches of ages are stowed.

The Bookman's shop is found there, a purveyor of rare books and oddities

Inside the shop are many wonders, books and crates with untold objects, But it looks like all the pages telling about the Substituary Locomotion spell were already gathered by the Bookman.  Hop on the magical bed and tap the knob three times, tell it where you want to go and give the knob a quarter turn.

Welcome to Naboombu, but where could the Star of Astoroth be?

Oh Drats!  where could it be?

Hidden in plain sight the whole time!  "Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee"  Fly!

Only Kings or Better may leave

--------------
OK, so this one is not so "dark", but I wanted one more ride in the main street.   Although I have worked on other stuff off the main street, I don't really want to move on from it until it's finished. 

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Portobello Road is very nice. Although I'd much rather be bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briny sea. ;)

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Portobello Road is very nice. Although I'd much rather be bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briny sea. ;)

Ha!... now I'm thinking I should have made it a dark ride... ;D . maybe one day  ;)

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 05:41 AM »
A classic movie that I had long forgotten... I love that you incorporated it instead of just sticking with the stereotypical animated fare.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37 AM »
This land reminds me very much of Disney World's Adventureland, particularly the area with the tiki room and Aladdin flat. The colors work very well in this area.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 02:20 PM »
This land reminds me very much of Disney World's Adventureland, particularly the area with the tiki room and Aladdin flat. The colors work very well in this area.

Thanks Grrt.  That's exactly why I needed to mirror the main street; the back of the Bedknobs ride with all the palm trees would have been visible from "tomorrowland" so Now it will be facing Misadventureland.  (this park is counterclockwise to the standard DL & MK layout)

Anywho... This next ride is going to take a while... little sneak peak.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:55 PM by Muserato »

Offline Kyote

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 02:52 AM »
Absolutely love this project! Very excited to see how this will continue  :up: