Expo City: More water stuff

• 107 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City presents "Xtropolis: A short film"
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2018, 06:19 AM »
My version is more a story about low-paid and poorly treated workers (ahem) than it is about robots, but I couldn't resist the chance to work in the album cover.

In the original Astounding cover, it was more of a role-reversal, not a rampage.  The robot had this really sad, fearful expression and was looking up at something taller, presumably a bigger robot.  It was like the robot was a little kid that had accidentally killed its kitten from petting it too hard, didn't truly understand what this meant, and wanted its parent to make things all better, but at the same time knew it had done somebody bad and was about to be punished.

Your interpretation is more like the alternative album cover :)

In fact, your Tetragon almost made the cut in this video

I'm so glad it didn't.  The thought of that freakish accident being placed in this incredible setting is more terrifying than the prospect of Mr. Wonder touring one of my parks :).

Hmm, seems I like talking about my videos even more than my photos, sorry for that.  But thank you all for giving me the chance to do so

Well, you did put the video first, and it was so awesome that nobody had any attention left for the pics ;).  Except our gracious host, apparently.  Congrats on making the front page!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32 AM »
The video was beautiful!  I love the muted colors changing to bright bold colors partway through.

Thanks! I just figured out how to do that yesterday...  I thought I would have to film separate videos and splice them, but you can do it within one piece of footage.  Who knew.  (everyone but me, probably.)  And I'm sure I got the idea from your POV for The Mill and it's awesome intro :)

In the original Astounding cover, it was more of a role-reversal, not a rampage.  The robot had this really sad, fearful expression and was looking up at something taller, presumably a bigger robot.  It was like the robot was a little kid that had accidentally killed its kitten from petting it too hard, didn't truly understand what this meant, and wanted its parent to make things all better, but at the same time knew it had done somebody bad and was about to be punished.

Your interpretation is more like the alternative album cover :)

So you have the vinyl, right?  Is the alternate cover on the inside of the vinyl?  I really liked the idea of him reaching into the auditorium and grabbing up the concert-goers, like something a kid would do to a dollhouse.  (You MUST Youtube last years concert to see how they incorporated that to the opening of the show!)  And I tried to capture his "sad-face," but now I've got a couple other ideas I want to try for that.  Ultimately I suppose it's all irrelevant to this story, we're supposed to focus on the people being worked to death.  Maybe the good jobs are being taken by robots?  Maybe that was the point of the movie, I kind of FF'd through some boring parts.

I'm so glad it didn't.  The thought of that freakish accident being placed in this incredible setting is more terrifying than the prospect of Mr. Wonder touring one of my parks :).

You just made me spit coffee on my keyboard.   >:( ;D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2018, 11:30 AM »
So you have the vinyl, right?  Is the alternate cover on the inside of the vinyl?

I sold all my vinyl a few decades ago so can neither confirm nor deny.  But IIRC, the alternative cover was only available overseas.

Ultimately I suppose it's all irrelevant to this story, we're supposed to focus on the people being worked to death.

But they obviously have great health care benefits.  They're still on the job even though they've been dead for thousands of years ;).

BTW, who was it a while back who made the Janitors' Memorial, a giant broom on a hill overlooking the park?  Was that you?  I can't remember.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2018, 08:03 AM »
BTW, who was it a while back who made the Janitors' Memorial, a giant broom on a hill overlooking the park?  Was that you?  I can't remember.

Not me, but sounds very clever.  Now I want to look for it :)

I guess I'm fairly close to being finished with Bullethead's "TetraSpa", a structure I'm using to enclose the remaining open area around the water resort.  He'll be along shortly to make self-depracating remarks about it, but I'm going to stand by my statement that it's quite beautiful, and a perfect fit for Expo City.

The Trident Hotel is still in progress, another building to close in the area.  Just a facade for now.

A slide complex sits in front of the hotel, separating it from the lazy river.  The bowl slide is a workshop item by Stereo144.

Speaking of self-depracating, (and lazy), here's the world's lamest custom flat, one of those surfing attractions where everybody falls down and hilarity ensues.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City: "TetraSpa"
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Fantastic!  OMG I love the Flow Rider!

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 08:38 AM »
that pool area is beautiful at night

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I guess I'm fairly close to being finished with Bullethead's "TetraSpa", a structure I'm using to enclose the remaining open area around the water resort.  He'll be along shortly to make self-depracating remarks about it, but I'm going to stand by my statement that it's quite beautiful, and a perfect fit for Expo City.

Well, it certainly looks way better now that you've totally rebuilt and extended the lower level, and hidden the remainder behind an awesome swimming pool.  All THAT part of it is definitely beautiful :).

I can't tell you how flattered I am that you've used this building in your incredible park here.  Wow.  I just don't know what else to say about it, other than I hope it's off in a corner somewhere so its light colors don't clash with the rest of your stuff :).

The Trident Hotel is still in progress, another building to close in the area.  Just a facade for now.

Where do you keep coming up with all these awesome building concepts?  That building of mine just happened of its own accord---I set out to build something completely different but the parts said they wanted to do something else, so I can't claim to have had any say in the results.

Speaking of self-depracating, (and lazy), here's the world's lamest custom flat, one of those surfing attractions where everybody falls down and hilarity ensues.

Heheh, that's great!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2018, 02:01 PM »
That looks fantastic, I love the building in the background, such a fresh idea! Wow!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2018, 04:11 PM »
WOW. what a great update. Bullethead's hotel fits so well with the park and looks gorgeous. That 2nd shot is so beautiful.
And I finally saw the video. I loved all the nods to Metropolis and the use of the animatronics was inspired. And some of the overall views, especially the closing scene, were breath-taking. The amount of work and creativity you've put in is incredible.
And also, as there were no vocals on the soundtrack, I found myself singing along to Radio GA GA all the way through Karaoke stylie. And that's your fault ;)

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Fantastic!  OMG I love the Flow Rider!

Is that what they're called?  I should really ask you before I post things.  I should also rename the ride, that's way better than what I came up with.

that pool area is beautiful at night

Thanks Wowman!

I can't tell you how flattered I am that you've used this building in your incredible park here.  Wow.  I just don't know what else to say about it, other than I hope it's off in a corner somewhere so its light colors don't clash with the rest of your stuff :).

I don't think it clashes at all...  it forced me out of my palette for the area and I think it works much better than where I was headed. 

That looks fantastic, I love the building in the background, such a fresh idea! Wow!

I think you guys like that building better than I do... it was just supposed to be a simple facade to fill some space and I had no idea what to do with it.  Another hotel in a Vegas resort can't hurt, I guess.  :)

WOW. what a great update. Bullethead's hotel fits so well with the park and looks gorgeous. That 2nd shot is so beautiful.
And I finally saw the video. I loved all the nods to Metropolis and the use of the animatronics was inspired. And some of the overall views, especially the closing scene, were breath-taking. The amount of work and creativity you've put in is incredible.
And also, as there were no vocals on the soundtrack, I found myself singing along to Radio GA GA all the way through Karaoke stylie. And that's your fault ;)

Mission.  Accomplished.  :P   I was really hoping you'd like that video.

Thanks for all the comments, guys!!

----------------

Well, I grabbed about 20 screenshots this morning and ain't nobody got time for that, so I think I'll split this up into a couple of updates.  The first part focuses on everything else in the water resort you haven't seen.  It's still completely incomplete, but I think I'm done working on that entire area for awhile.

I named it.  And intentionally spelled it wrong to avoid lawsuits from clothing stores.

Fisherman is everywhere these days, and now he's in Expo City.  (sorry I had to remove the feet, they didn't fit well.  Otherwise I didn't change much on this one, can't mess with perfection.)

"Hydra" is a water coaster right out of the in-game blueprint bin.  Still needs some theming, just not sure what.  I do like the splashdown over the path at the end.

I said earlier in this thread that I didn't plan to bring back Peony Park's ballroom structure for this park.  I lied.

I did make some customizations to convert it into a beach club.  Outdoor party area with pool, bar, and stage.  The interior received a floating dancefloor.

Still a couple more updates from the rest of the park, and then I'll probably stick this one back on the shelf again for awhile.  It's time.

Re: Expo City: More water stuff
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Just remarkable. I love how you can so seamlessly integrate other peoples work into your park, and it just works. Beautifully.

The ballroom looks great!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Awwww...that's flattering!   :blush:

I LOVE the architectural juxtapositions in this park!!  Art Deco...Frank Lloyd Wright...spacey...

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Just remarkable. I love how you can so seamlessly integrate other peoples work into your park, and it just works. Beautifully.

The ballroom looks great!

Thanks CT.  I think what makes it work is the lighting by Fisherman... it's why I chose a night shot; I really like the pop of color you get from Wipeout compared to it's surroundings.

Awwww...that's flattering!   :blush:

I LOVE the architectural juxtapositions in this park!!  Art Deco...Frank Lloyd Wright...spacey...

Thanks for the compliment, but the juxtapositions are a little bit of ADD and a little bit me running out of architectural ideas.  There's a LOT of buildings in here and sticking with one style would've been difficult.  This was just supposed to be art deco when I started and I didn't know it was going to get so big.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Damn, JP!  That all looks so gorgeous!  That revamp of the Peony ballroom looks even better than the original, and the setting around it is just fantastic.  Is that the top of a slide coming off the patio next to it?

Also, I'm again quite flattered you put my building at the end of a plaza where folks can't help but see it.  Good thing you made that plaza and its surroundings so well--they really improve the looks of my building ;).  BTW, did you put a pizza shop in it?  The roofs of the extensions kinda remind me of Pizza Huts ;).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Uhh! cool font!  Love the watery color scheme.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2018, 09:48 AM »
I agree with Muserato, I love the color scheme as well and everything looks spectacular!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Yep. Great sign. Wipeout looks really at home there too. And I'm so happy to see Peony Park's ballroom make a surprise guest appearance. It was always such a highlight of the park for me. Makes me miss Peony Park a little more. If you put this one back on the shelf, don't make it too long. I'd miss this one too.

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Just so much eye candy, I seriously don't know where to start. 0.0

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park