Balboa Park |UPDATED 8/22/2017 | Casa Del Rey Moro Teaser

• 43 replies

Offline Remnantboy

• i am awesome.
    • View Profile
Hey Everyone!

I feel like I have to re introduce myself haha.  I'm Remnant.  I've been around since the beginning of SGW and was even there during the atari forum days.  I have been wanting to create parks using Planet Coaster for SO. LONG.  I'm happy that I'm finally able to share some stuff!

Balboa Park is actually a real park in my home town of San Diego CA, but this is definitely not a recreation.  I'm super inspired by the look and feel of the actual park and wanted to bring that into PC.  The real balboa park has a lot of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.  If you know any of my RCT3 work, you'll know that this is way different than my normal building style.

This is my Planet Coaster test park.  When I started, I had no idea how to use anything.  But you'll see that the buildings start to look better as I learned how to use stuff!  I'm still super new to this, so if you have any tips and tricks on how I can improve, let me know!

Here's the ticket booth area! 

I need to make turnstyles..

When you walk though the gates, there is an Information center to your right, as well as some restrooms and a lot of shade.

In the center of the entrance plaza is this fountain....I tried.  You can also see the WIP main gate/archway that leads you into the main part of the park.

To the left of the fountain is another info booth and an ATM that you can kind of see to the left.

And here's a little overview from the front that gives a little idea of the layout.

I'll post more detailed shots in the next update!  Just wanted to show you guys what I've been working on.  I really want to know what you guys think and if you dig the vibe that I've created.  I'm not used to creating small charming parks, but Planet Coaster definitely makes it easy (I'm using "easy" ver loosely...)

Thanks guys!

-Remnant
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:31 PM by Remnantboy »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Balboa Park | Entrance Plaza | First Park in Planet Coaster!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 03:56 PM »
As I live within walking distance of the actual Balboa Park in San Diego, I immediately recognize the influence on this park. You've done a great job of capturing the look and feel of the park. It also reminds me a bit of the Plaza Del Pasado in Old Town as well. Really nice work so far.

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18 PM »
This is stunning. So charming...so well-scaled! If you're still figuring things out, I can't wait to see what happens once you're feeling good and comfortable. So nice to see you posting again--you've always been one of my favorite creators! Yay!

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Very nice start and concept!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:10 AM by Muserato »

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11 PM »
That looks great, love the park sign!
Check out my Planet Coaster Steam Workshop 'PixelWess89':
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pixelwess89/myworkshopfiles/?appid=493340

Offline Dutchie

• CEO of Seven Seas
    • View Profile
    • Seven Seas
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 01:42 AM »
Truly charming. Such a relaxing atmosphere..

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 05:30 AM »
well i like your "testproject" :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:39 AM »
very nice, clean looking park so far. The structures and paths look great

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Beautiful!! I really like the style and feel of this park. Awesome job!! While you say you didn't know how to use things you've really seemed to master things quickly.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Love it! Having grown up in San Diego, and lived next to Balboa Park for years, I love the charm you've captured here.....really well done.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:23 AM »
Very nice work!  I, too, have seen the real Balboa Park (used to be based in San Diego) and you've definitely got the vibe of that place going.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 12:44 PM »
So charming. You did a great job capturing the ornate stone work in your architecture.   :)

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 04:45 PM »
It's so great to see you back! I always loved your RCT3 parks and your charming style. I'm glad that this park carries on that distinctive style. It looks really great so far! :)
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Remnantboy

• i am awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Balboa Park |UPDATE 2 Work on Mainstreet has Started!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:00 PM »
As I live within walking distance of the actual Balboa Park in San Diego, I immediately recognize the influence on this park. You've done a great job of capturing the look and feel of the park. It also reminds me a bit of the Plaza Del Pasado in Old Town as well. Really nice work so far.

Love it! Having grown up in San Diego, and lived next to Balboa Park for years, I love the charm you've captured here.....really well done.

Very nice work!  I, too, have seen the real Balboa Park (used to be based in San Diego) and you've definitely got the vibe of that place going.

I'm so glad that there are some fellow San Diegans here!  Balboa Park has a very special place in my heart so it's cool to see that others are able to recognize it's charming vibe.

This is stunning. So charming...so well-scaled! If you're still figuring things out, I can't wait to see what happens once you're feeling good and comfortable. So nice to see you posting again--you've always been one of my favorite creators! Yay!

Thanks SO much, Masked.  I have always been so inspired by your work!  Glad you're enjoying this so far!

So charming. You did a great job capturing the ornate stone work in your architecture.   :)

It's so great to see you back! I always loved your RCT3 parks and your charming style. I'm glad that this park carries on that distinctive style. It looks really great so far! :)

Thanks guys!  Also, can we just talk about our Disneyland collab that we did a million years ago?  haha!

And thank you so much to everyone else for your comments!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm sure I'm not the only one, but LORD am I slow at building in Planet Coaster!  I dont have a very big update today, but definitely wanted to share what I've been working on.  But first let's take a closer look at the entrance plaza.

Here's a closer look at the sitting area right outside of the restrooms. 

Here's a more detailed shot of the right side of the entry plaza.  I dont know why, but I really love this facade.

Work has started on the mainstreet section!  Slowly but surely  :n00b:

And here's an overview to get a better idea of how everything is laid out.

As always, I'd love to know your thoughts!
Thanks!

Offline TMH

• View Profile
Re: Balboa Park |UPDATE 2 Work on Mainstreet has Started!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Hahaha oh yes, I remember our collab alright. We were as ambitious as any other circa-2008 atari forum members who dreamed of creating a virtual Disneyland. We did a lovely Fantasyland, I remember that much.

The entrance plaza is the perfect welcome to the park. Can't wait to see what you do with the circular plaza.

Offline Remnantboy

• i am awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Balboa Park |UPDATE 3| El Prado Street
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 06:21 PM »
More progress on El Prado Street which is the "Main Street" of this park.  More soon!

Really loving this view.  Can't wait to add more!

A lot of fun/super challenging buildings coming up!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Beautiful buildings and you even managed to get an in-game "rainbow" over them in the last pic :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Gah, I really love this style, and you pull it off so perfectly! If everything turns out this great, I'm fine waiting a while between updates, haha.

Our Disneyland collab was great. As TMH said we did make a pretty awesome Fantasyland. If I remember right, we proposed doing a Snow White mine train ride, and then Disney built one! I still have the original park file!
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Love zooming in on the facade in the first picture and seeing which pieces you used. Everything works so well.

Offline Dutchie

• CEO of Seven Seas
    • View Profile
    • Seven Seas
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58 AM »
Beautiful  :love:

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 08:08 AM »
This continues to be amazing. Can't wait to see more!

Offline jaygmoore

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 12:30 PM »
I love the architecture of this park so far! Definitely one to keep an eye on  :)

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 01:07 PM »
The facade of the building on picture number one of the last update is amazing. I love the composition of different objects there. totally mind blowing.

Offline Remnantboy

• i am awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Balboa Park |UPDATE 4 | The Famous Bell Tower Makes Its Debut!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Beautiful buildings and you even managed to get an in-game "rainbow" over them in the last pic :)

Thanks!  I didn't even notice that!

Gah, I really love this style, and you pull it off so perfectly! If everything turns out this great, I'm fine waiting a while between updates, haha.

Our Disneyland collab was great. As TMH said we did make a pretty awesome Fantasyland. If I remember right, we proposed doing a Snow White mine train ride, and then Disney built one! I still have the original park file!

Thank you!  Ah I'd love to see that park again.  We've all gotten so much better!

Love zooming in on the facade in the first picture and seeing which pieces you used. Everything works so well.

Thanks!  It's been SUPER challenging for me working with these pieces and trying to make them do what I need them to do!

Beautiful  :love:

Thanks!

This continues to be amazing. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Masked!  I continue to fan girl whenever you comment on my work haha!  I'm seriously loving everything you're doing on your youtube channel recently and with Mike!
Super glad you like it!  excited for you to see this update :)

I love the architecture of this park so far! Definitely one to keep an eye on  :)

The facade of the building on picture number one of the last update is amazing. I love the composition of different objects there. totally mind blowing.

I really appreciate these comments, guys.  Thanks so much :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 4 | The Famous Bell Tower Makes Its Debut!

Alrighty guys!
It's been a minute since my last update.
I've been super busy, but have managed to put a few hours into Planet Coaster and I'm loving the results.
Though I've learned that I CANNOT play the game if I have no idea what I'm building.  I have to really plan out what I'm going to before building, simply because it takes me SO long to build in this game.  So different from RCT3.  Still learning and growing.

San Diego's famous bell tower has made its debut in the park!  It houses a museum in real life.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make an interior yet TBH.  As I've said before, this is my test park.  Still learning!

This tower isn't completed yet,  It's lacking many things...like the bell.  My roof tiles are kinda wonky too...gah.  That little tunnel on the right will lead to a garden courtyard area in the future :)

I'm really loving this fountain I made.  It's the little things guys.

The layout of El Prado Street is coming along nicely.  Also..I was a little concerned that there's too much stucco..but I'm kind of living for it.  It's how the real balboa park in anyway.  As long as I add a good amount on greenery, I should be good.

Adding these details was a PAIN.  But so so worth it.

Leaving you guys with those photo.  I really love what the bell tower adds to the skyline.  If you've ever been to the real Balboa Park, you'll totally recognize this view :)

That's all for now!  As always, I'd love to know what you all think.  Thanks!

-Remnant

Offline Eaglefan9727

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 12:58 AM »
As for someone who has visited Balboa Park a number of times in my lifetime. I have to say that you nailed the bell tower. Great job.

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 04:08 AM »
Such an incredible looking park so far. I am not familiar with the original park, but it looks stunning. Very curious how you develop this project ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Geez Louise!   :o   That bell tower is both a phenomenal piece of work and a very accurate reproduction.  If you still don't know what you're doing with this game, I can't wait to see what you make once you're competent ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49 AM »
I love that you used wood pieces to simulate glass... very clever and very effective

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Stunning work. The bell tower is gorgeous.

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 11:50 AM »
"Still learning" he says. Yeah, no, I think you've got the hang of it pretty well.  :P

The detail work on that bell tower is amazing, and that last shot of the park skyline is just pure perfection. One of the best shots I've ever seen taken in this game. If you're still learning, I just can't even imagine what you'll be able to do when you master it.