Coney Island 1950! "Nighthawks" comes to Coney Island

• 131 replies
Re: Coney Island 1950! The Tornado Bobs rolls in!
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Am I attempting a bolt by bolt recreation? Absolutely not. I also did a RCT2 recreation about 15 years ago, and an RCT3 unfinished park about 7 or 8 years ago.

There were four big coasters in 1950, which is why I choses the year to model. The Thunderbolt by Allen with flat turns that ran over a hotel, the Bobsled, which I really can't do yet, the Cyclone, which I have not even begun, and the Tornado Bobs, by Church, which ran over a number of businesses built around its base.

As I mentioned earlier, I am about 50 feet short, but the profile looks pretty accurate to me. The turnarounds are all at the right height.

Perhaps you were thinking of the Cyclone, the only one that is still standing?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:59 PM by citytrader »

Offline robdcx

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Lol no, I know the Tornado quite well. I wasn't trying to be disagreeable, just to offer some constructive feedback. The street-side turn/swoop is fairly different from the original ride, and some of the camelbacks and pullouts could be more rounded. Again, I'm not trying to be nasty. If you're not going for absolute accuracy, that's fine. Overall, it looks great, and I think you've done a great job on everything else so far!

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2018, 02:08 PM »
OK thanks. No offense taken. I'll take another look.

Did you create one for PC or RCT3?

Offline robdcx

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Excellent! I really do like your project, and I love that someone is interested in recreating that specific period in CI history. The Tornado has always intrigued me, and what you've done so far looks great!

Incidentally, and you may already know this, I read an article years ago that talked about the dimensions of the ride. The plot of land it was built on was apparently not rectangular. If I remember correctly, one corner of it was roughly 54 feet wide and the other was only 27, so Fred Church was given a permit for the ride to overhang the narrow end by a foot or so. Like I said, you might already know that, and I'm going from memory. I could probably dig out the article and see if it has any other information about the ride if you're interested and don't already have it.

To answer your question, I recreated mine in PC. I wasn't going for an exact duplicate by any means, just the basic look and feel. It was meant to be the themed main street area of a park that I never got around to finishing. I'll share a shot of the unfinished area just so you can see what it looked like, but I won't clog up your thread otherwise.

Best of luck on your project!  :)

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2018, 02:21 PM »
At the corner of the Bowery and 12th, there stood a Mengel's Looper and a little known ride, the Whirl Away, kind of a cross between a tilt-a-whirl and a tea cups. I substituted the Elixer. It fit well into the area. Behind both is the now correct location for one of the Virginia Reels, created by JPAlmighT.

Here's a shot of the real thing;

Still tweaking the lighting a bit. Hope you all like it!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Looking good!  I love how you hid the brain on the Looper!  Ha ha!

« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2018, 03:02 AM »
VERY nice job adapting those modern rides to a classic theme, especially the Elixir.  You've given me ideas.

And thanks for the shoutout, always an honor to get to be a part of someone else's incredible work.

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2018, 05:01 AM »
Looking good!  I love how you hid the brain on the Looper!  Ha ha!

Thanks! It's just a few circles and an egg. I may add lights.

VERY nice job adapting those modern rides to a classic theme, especially the Elixir.  You've given me ideas.

Thanks. As you can see, the original had a really cheap backdrop. I tried to copy that.

And thanks for the shoutout, always an honor to get to be a part of someone else's incredible work.

Thank you for giving me permission!

Of course, as the signs all say, my version is higher and faster!  ;D

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Finally found a nice use for those brownstone windows;

A nice quiet corner in the hustle and bustle;

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Finally found a nice use for those brownstone windows

Nice.  Makes me want to recreate the painting, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EuTtCNhxoaA/U6n9EEf5_tI/AAAAAAAAaX8/q0cR5SrNNFw/s1600/Boulevard+of+Broken+Dreams,+1984,+Gottfried+Heinwein.jpg
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Always preferred the original Hopper painting;

Dammit, you've done it again! Now I guess I have to recreate this!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2018, 08:25 PM »
quote author=citytrader link=topic=19947.msg462673#msg462673 date=1526180067]Always preferred the original Hopper painting[/quote]

Didn't know that link wasn't the original.  I only see the painting in the various dives I visit, recognize it as an old friend, and go on sinking into my own problems without worrying where the painting came from.  Its message is pretty clear regardless :).

Dammit, you've done it again! Now I guess I have to recreate this!

Better you than me :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Yeah, the original is by Edward Hopper entitled Nighthawks. There are a million ripoffs. My personal favorite is the one with dogs!

A small Roll-O-Plane concession on the corner of the Bowery and Henderson Walk;

Reiben's Arcade, with a carousel and numerous games;

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2018, 07:28 PM »
The Henderson Building on Stillwell housed the World of Wax Musee, that was operated by the same woman for over 50 years!

Pretty creepy looking at night;

The real thing;

The other attractions will be added later!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:33 PM by citytrader »

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2018, 03:56 AM »
Love the source material photos you're using... anxious to see the Hendersons building as that first level fills in, that last photo will be a fun one to re-create.

I agree about the lighting in the 2nd photo...  sets the scene perfectly   :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2018, 04:02 AM »
I love how you really do your research.  Looking great, buddy!  Are you going to try your hotel idea for this one?

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13 AM »
It is nice that you keep your time divided between the park and what surrounds it. I'm sure that helps with burnout as well. Also very well done on the ride skin, brings it back in age excellently.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Love the source material photos you're using... anxious to see the Hendersons building as that first level fills in, that last photo will be a fun one to re-create.

I agree about the lighting in the 2nd photo...  sets the scene perfectly   :up:

Thanks! I didn't recreate the the other shops, but hopefully, it gives off a similar vibe!

I love how you really do your research.  Looking great, buddy!  Are you going to try your hotel idea for this one?

Not the Hotel, I was thinking about creating a queue for another ride with wax displays. Little dioramas all along the queue. Have to see how the lag is before attempting any interiors!

It is nice that you keep your time divided between the park and what surrounds it. I'm sure that helps with burnout as well. Also very well done on the ride skin, brings it back in age excellently.

Thank you! The bench is really a mess, with huge gaps and holes everywhere. When I figure out exactly where a building or ride was located, I then drop it into it's correct spot. Even then, it's a crap shoot as to whether the real Coney Island looked anything like my Coney Island!

Here's the completed Stillwell Avenue side of the Henderson building;

And at night;

Closeup;

Still working on the Surf Avenue end of the building.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:51 PM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01 PM »
It looks so real :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13 PM »
It looks so real :)

Thank you! I tried!

Here is the Henderson Building just before it met the wrecking ball;

And my facade with a couple of Fisherman's game booths, slightly altered;

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2018, 03:16 AM »
That is simple and very beautiful. And it's the perfect home for Derek's games booths.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2018, 03:51 AM »
The game booth tweaks turned out really well, glad you went with the pandas and rabid koalas rather than the rainbow poo's...much classier!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2018, 03:56 AM »
Ha ha!  Looks wonderful, Rich!  I'm always impressed with your architecture skills (and jealous!).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:58 AM by Fisherman »

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Yes to the Fisherman additions...  now the first level has that "busy-ness" from the photos, and the contrast between first level and what's above it. 

I once researched this park for an RCT3 project and what you've already shown exceeds what I learned then by light years.  I love this thread and this project.

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2018, 08:16 PM »
That is simple and very beautiful. And it's the perfect home for Derek's games booths.

Thanks! Glad you like it!

The game booth tweaks turned out really well, glad you went with the pandas and rabid koalas rather than the rainbow poo's...much classier!

Ha! I actually picked those two games because they were around in the 50's!

Ha ha!  Looks wonderful, Rich!  I'm always impressed with your architecture skills (and jealous!).

Thank you Derek! Not sure I agree, especially after drooling over most of your creations!

Yes to the Fisherman additions...  now the first level has that "busy-ness" from the photos, and the contrast between first level and what's above it. 

I once researched this park for an RCT3 project and what you've already shown exceeds what I learned then by light years.  I love this thread and this project.

Thank you so much! I had also done a RCT3 version, but I don't think I ever showed it off. Wagi and Derek might remember my RCT2 version, which showcased Steve Franks coaster creations. I loved that recreation, and am excited to finally be doing what I hope is a more accurate recreation now with PC.

Well, it's a start!

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Argg, with your comparison photos makes me wish Planet Coaster had some more weathered pieces.That Henderson's building at night is lit perfectly. :)

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Well, it's a start!

Yay, the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"  :D  Quite convincing!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Coney Island 1950! "Nighthawks" comes to Coney Island
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2018, 07:45 PM »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Truly iconic. 

Glorious!  Glug-glug-glug-glorious!
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Glory be to God that there are no more of us
As the four of us can drink it all alone
(damn near)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:52 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14 PM »
That's awesome, Rich! What did you end up using for the coffee urns?  Primative shapes?  They look great.