Coney Island 1950

• 278 replies
Re: Coney Island 1950!
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Nathans started as a push cart on the Boardwalk in 1916. Today it is an American institution!

I tried, but due to the constraints of the game, I kind of went my own direction with the restaurant.

Anyways, Here is my Coney Island Institution, Nathans Famous Hot Dogs!

Just had to put the hot dog on the roof!

The kitchen is gearing up for the crowds. Nathans claims they serve over 5000 hot dogs an hour during the summer.

Absolutely love this sign!

Looks pretty cool at night!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Oh, Rich I love it!  That painted brick sign is just perfect!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »
The new Nathan's looks great. And I agree with Fisherman, that painted brick sign looks perfect.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I always felt like her name should've been Sheila.   :P

Yes, Sally does, but she's always been a little silly. Her sea shell shop has stupendous sales on Saturdays and Sundays.

Well, the real name of the woman for whom the tongue-twister was composed was Mary :).  Mary Anning, to be precise.  Ichthyosaurs and such.

Still, I've always been partial to girls named Sheila because, as Bobby Bare famously noted, that name rhymes with tequila and I can spot a tequila girl a mile off :D

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:27 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Your structures keep getting better and better.  Although I must admit that real life photo you posted up top was pretty inspiring as well

« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Oh, Rich I love it!  That painted brick sign is just perfect!

Thanks! Yeah, I love it too!

The new Nathan's looks great. And I agree with Fisherman, that painted brick sign looks perfect.

Thank you. I wish we had a better selection of billboards.

Well, the real name of the woman for whom the tongue-twister was composed was Mary :).  Mary Anning, to be precise.  Ichthyosaurs and such.

Still, I've always been partial to girls named Sheila because, as Bobby Bare famously noted, that name rhymes with tequila and I can spot a tequila girl a mile off :D

You always manage to crack me up! Thanks!

Your structures keep getting better and better.  Although I must admit that real life photo you posted up top was pretty inspiring as well

Thanks! Nathans has taken over the entire square block, including indoor and outdoor seating.

Atlantis Bar and Grill was located right on the Boardwalk at Stillwell;

Here's mine. Just enough of an interior so it looks like something is going on there!

At night;

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:20 PM by citytrader »

Offline Crisps

• Posts once a year?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Wow this is beautiful! Never been to Coney before, but it looks like you are nailing it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Really, nice, Rich!  The font is great and the interior looks inviting.  Is it a functional restaurant?

« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Thanks guys!

As you can see, I changed the font to white. It stands out a bit more;

I got the font off of the workshop. It is made with the boxlights. Very clever, and looks great!

Derek, the interior is bare bones nothing. Just wanted there to be something to look at when peeps walked by. The bar is just repeated several times and the bar top is the sawed plank. A little joke is the cop having a drink;

The wrought iron set is from the workshop as well. Very simple and basic.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:05 PM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2018, 07:22 AM »
As a fire code inspector, I prefer your Atlantis to the original.  2 exit doors :)

Also, in 1950, it was probably still OK to have a drink on duty.  We only took the beer coolers off our fire trucks 20 years ago or so, and IIRC in New Orleans firefighters are still allowed 2 beers per day.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I have no information on a place called Moe's Five Star except it was a gaming hall and it sat next near the Atlantis bar and grill and a bumper car ride;

Derek's modified game booths look great, as always!

The boardwalk facade of the Washington Baths on Henderson Walk;

A kid's walk-through fun house, the Kooky Kastle;

It actually houses a hats fantastic!

The boardwalk at night is really shaping up!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Your "Moe's" looks a lot better than the one in The Simpsons :D

Being a redneck, I'm unfamiliar with this whole NYC bath house thing.  Were they public baths like in ancient Rome, bordellos, swimming pools, or what?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Back in the day, almost no one actually owned beach wear. They would rent it when they got out to the beach. Ever notice your grandfather's pictures, they are always in a suit? It's because that's almost all they owned. (Of course, film was expensive, and most people only took pictures on Sundays!)  ;)

So the bath houses served as lockers, dressing rooms, showers, and rental facilities for beach goers.

Many of them had outdoor and indoor salt water pools, rooftop gardens and seun decks with private cabanas, dining rooms, massage rooms, electric steam cabinets for the ladies, etc. Think of them almost like a cruise ship that doesn't go anywhere. After the war, when everyone started driving, they brought their own goods to the beach, and the bath houses just sort of faded away.

Here's the outdoor pool at Ravenhall bath house;

I have waited on doing any of the outdoor bath houses until we see if we get a pool expansion.

Hmmm, it looks like they are assembling a new ride on that vacant lot on 12th street;

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:57 PM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Back in the day, almost no one actually owned beach wear. They would rent it when they got out to the beach. Ever notice your grandfather's pictures, they are always in a suit? It's because that's almost all they owned. (Of course, film was expensive, and most people only took pictures on Sundays!)  ;)

Thanks for the info.  Such an alien world.....

One of my grandfathers was a dairy farmer, the other a refinery worker, so the both work work clothes except for when they were in the army in WW1.  And even into my childhood, going to the "beach" meant a sandbar in one of the local creeks, where we wore cutoffs.  Or went skinny dipping in our own ponds ;).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Looks great, Rich!!

That new ride doesn't look safe... Seems to be missing some parts.  Ha ha

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2018, 10:24 PM »
That ride looks familiar... :whistling:
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2018, 07:56 PM »
That ride looks familiar... :whistling:

Well, I hope everyone recognized one of Derek's rides there. I just thought it might be cool to show one being constructed!

A new business on Surf Avenue;

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:02 PM by citytrader »

Re: Coney Island 1950! "I want to Visit Coney Island!" Contest?
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17 AM »

So I thought it might be fun to "open up" Coney Island a bit to other builders.

Therefore, I am starting the "I want to be a part of Coney Island" contest (even though it's not a contest)! I have built facades for something like 70 different structures, and am getting a little burned out.

So I am opening up a city block for development by the community! The block is 20 x 60 standard wall tiles, so there is plenty of room. I am asking anyone who might be interested to create just one structure or themed ride. The conditions of building are as follows;

1. The average building is 3-6 tiles wide and 8-10 deep. Keep those proportions in mind while building. No giant castles!
2. The time period is 1950, so no steel coasters, but a small kiddie woodie is fine. Modern rides can be rethemed.
3. It's a sand bar, so the terrain is flat. Any terraforming will have to be done with scenery.
4. I have all the DLC, so no worries there.
5. You will, of course, be given full credit for your contribution. You can even name it if you wish!

I thought this little contest might be fun and really shouldn't take up much time, as you are only creating a single structure.

Post below if you are interested in contributing a structure or ride to Coney Island! I am really looking forward to seeing some!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1950! "I want to be a part of Coney Island!" Contest?
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I'll take a whack at a structure or two...

« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I found a more updated version of the post card for you to use

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2018, 05:23 AM »
Thank you.

1205 Surf Avenue;

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Very realistic.  I really like those custom diner-style doors.  I'll have to steal that idea ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2018, 10:02 PM »
They are not custom. They are made with the new commercial walls.

Thompson's Scenic Railway was long gone by 1950, but not in my Coney Island;

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2018, 02:12 AM »
Its such a pleasure to look at all those pics in that thread. It's so atmospheric and lively. The Atlantis is a fantastic beauty and the interior is fantastic looking! :up:
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Just a little fill-in on Surf Avenue;

« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2018, 07:25 AM »
A huge shout-out to Wagi, who has come up with three buildings to go into Coney Island! Thank you, my friend!

He found a picture;

And he created this;

His structure was a facade, and I slid it into position on Surf Avenue and 12th street;

The structure did have an apartment entrance on the side. He also found a beautiful panorama photo that has helped me relocate several structures to their correct places in town.

Once again, thanks buddy! His other two contributions are even more beautiful!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Coney Island 1950! Wagi contributes!
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Awesome work, guys!!!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Thanks for allowing me to contribute in a small way on this project! 

Actually this has been great, not only does it allow me to learn some building skills in PC (limited as they may be...), but it's also a great excuse to take a step back for a couple days from my own mega-project!  Since we both love historical parks it's also been fun to learn a bit more about Coney Island's history in this time period...after the glory days of the early part of the century but before the decay of the 60's and 70's set in.

I know there's others here who also enjoy these sort of park projects, I'd encourage them to take a day or so and try their hand at something to contribute as well!   :)

« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Thanks Wagi!

Here's just a small boardwalk arcade. You also have a tiny sneak peak of one of Wagi's buildings;

At night;

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Awesome!  I love the multi-colored lights on the exterior.  Nice touch.