Coney Island 1950

• 278 replies
Re: Coney Island 1950! "The Spanish Main"
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Love what you came up with based only on what could be seen in that photo.   And I agree with your logic, if this is how that built tunnels of love, that would explain why there aren't many around today.

Totally agree about the swan boats.  THAT was a definite missed opportunity in this new pack.

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Thanks JP! Swans would have been perfect in this vintage pack. Perhaps we'll see Vintage Pack 2 at some point. I'd also love a Spooky 2!!!

The pirates may get us! Look out!

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2018, 06:56 PM »
As was the style, the rest of the ride is just a dark tunnel. Gave couples a little bit of time to canoodle!

Behind the facade, some cast members loiter among discarded ride pieces, including a broken shark!

The facade at night;

A number of people have asked for an overview of the entire bench. Here you go! The Thunderbolt is in the foreground, the Tornado Bobs in the center, and the Cyclone will be on the last block at the top of the picture. To date, there are 74 separate facades, 14 street intersections, a scale quarter mile of boardwalk, and 19 rides;

Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:18 AM by citytrader »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Wow!  You've done so much!

The shark is a nice touch.   ;)

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2018, 10:26 AM »
That's quite a collection there!  This project is amazingly ambitious the results are so cool ;)  Thanks for the overview.  I've been wondering what it all looked like.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

Looks like the terracotta craftsmen have been working overtime on the Child's restaurant facade;

They worked so fast, they bent over that boardwalk street light!

Wagi's at it again! Here is a really cute little shop for Surf Avenue;

Ruby's Clam House was another Coney Island staple, and there were at least three locations in just a dozen or so square blocks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:42 PM by citytrader »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2018, 03:33 AM »
The new friezes on Child's are fantastic.  That building really looks awesome now.   I hadn't noticed before the front wall was all prison bars, and the decor does a good job of making the place NOT look like a prison ;).

And WTG Wagi on the Ruby's restaurant!  Very real!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Coney Island 1950! "Steeplechase Park"
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2018, 11:57 AM »
At the end of the Bowery, on Kensington Walk, we would find ourselves in front of...

George Tilyou's Steeplechase Park!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I love it!

Offline dinoco

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55 AM »
Yep, not that much more to say. Also, that pic with the bended lamp looks so good! Almost mistook it for a photograph for a second:)

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2018, 01:45 PM »
That is gorgeous. I'd love a closer look at that entrance way.

« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I love it!

Thanks Derek!

Yep, not that much more to say. Also, that pic with the bended lamp looks so good! Almost mistook it for a photograph for a second:)

Thank you very much. Still tryng to figure out that bent street light. Must be gremlins in the game!

That is gorgeous. I'd love a closer look at that entrance way.

Thanks Nemmie! Here you go;

I have added a bit here and there, but was lazy about taking another picture!  ;D

A new dark ride opens on the boardwalk;

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:09 PM by citytrader »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21 AM »
The details in that entrance facade really look good.  You're really giving great lessons on how to use some of the new parts :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2018, 11:22 AM »

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2018, 02:33 AM »
The details in that entrance facade really look good.  You're really giving great lessons on how to use some of the new parts :)

Thank you! I think that Steeplechase turned out OK as well, but then I saw Fisherman's new Flying Turns Station, and I am truly humbled!  :)

A couple more of the new Boardwalk attraction;

« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Truly charming.

I remembering researching steeplechase park for RCT3 and trying to build the actual steeplechase attraction.  That would be a neat ride to have back in this game, but I imagine this is one of the few parks that would truly benefit.  Most people never used the one in RCT3 from what I recall.  Do you have any plans to put some sort of ride in place of it?   Is that what this dark ride is?   :up:

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Truly charming.

I remembering researching steeplechase park for RCT3 and trying to build the actual steeplechase attraction.  That would be a neat ride to have back in this game, but I imagine this is one of the few parks that would truly benefit.  Most people never used the one in RCT3 from what I recall.  Do you have any plans to put some sort of ride in place of it?   Is that what this dark ride is?   :up:
Well, yes and no. I am recreating Coney Island from 10th to 16th streets, and the beach to Surf Avenue. It's a huge piece of property, and as I've mentioned, will probably have over 150 structures, five major roller coasters, and a couple dozen flats. If my computer can handle it. To be honest, it starts crawling if I let in peeps. Steeplechase covered the next several blocks, from 16th to 20th, I believe. If I were to continue, that would almost double the size of the park. So I was going to satisfy myself with just the entrance.

As for the Steeplechase ride itself, it was massive, and circled around a structure called the Pavillion of Fun;

What I have been showcasing is a gentle kids dark ride called "Once Upon a Time";

Found a cute fairy tale mural online, and it looks fantastic!

« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I would love to have been able to ride this ride

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2018, 02:57 AM »
I would love to have been able to ride this ride
Thank you so much!

It does seem pretty popular with the peeps;

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2018, 12:49 PM »
I've been MIA - so amazing to see this still going. You're capturing a lot of CI's key highlights so amazingly! Even Steeplechase!  That last shot - with "Once upon a time" - I frigging went on that as a kid. I totally forgot about that ride until I saw that pic. I thought it was called "Fairyland" or something like that?  Looking forward to more of this (quite the mega project)!  :o

« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I've been MIA - so amazing to see this still going. You're capturing a lot of CI's key highlights so amazingly! Even Steeplechase!  That last shot - with "Once upon a time" - I frigging went on that as a kid. I totally forgot about that ride until I saw that pic. I thought it was called "Fairyland" or something like that?  Looking forward to more of this (quite the mega project)!  :o
Nice to see you stop by! It's been a long time!

It may have been Fairyland. I honestly can't remember either, and I think it was only around for a short period.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31 PM »
That's such a charming kiddie ride ;).  And WOW, I never heard of this Steeplechase ride but it looks awesome!  Once again, I feel cheated by history, never having gotten to see such things.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2018, 02:14 AM »
Yes, the Steeplechase was quite a thing! Originally, it had eight tracks, but in the 50's they reduced it to four. This newsreel is one of the only times I have seen the ride actually moving. Jump to about 1:01 and it's pretty cool!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:18 AM by citytrader »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2018, 02:31 AM »
Omg!  I forgot about the Witching Waves!  That thing looked crazy

« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2018, 04:07 AM »
Wow, I'd never seen a steeplechase ride in action either.   In fact, I think this is the only one I've ever heard of.   Really surprising and impressive that RCT3 chose to include it, I'm thinking it was even in the base game.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Blackpool Pleasure Beach still has one (although it's a modern one) ... And Knotts Berry Farm used to have one with little wooden cars instead of horses called Soap Box Derby Racers
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:38 AM by Fisherman »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Ah, geez, Rich, that old video brought a tear to my eye.  Life was so much more enjoyable when nobody minded a few lumps and bumps, maybe a broken bone or 2, all in the name of good, clean fun.  Back when everybody could obviously see that they might get hurt doing these attractions but they accepted the risk.  It's a shame the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned plaintiff lawyers ruined such things for everybody.

I suppose the lack of restraints on the steeplechase isn't surprising given that back then pretty much everybody rode real horses at least once in a while and real horses STILL lack restraints, as do motorcycles.  So why put any on a mechanical version?  The lack of lifejackets on that water coaster, where car physically separated from wheeled chassis and became a true, floating boat that could actually capsize seems a bit harder to figure, though.  I guess the water was probably only knee deep.  But none of that compares to the several attractions that physically hurled riders around  into each other and the walls.  I wonder how many teeth you could pick up from under those things :).

The most insane thing to me, though, by modern safety standards, was that undulating steel sheet with the free-range, user-steerable cars bobbing along on it.  That in itself is no biggie, it's that this required a crowd of expendable operators out in traffic pushing cars that had gotten stuck.  I'm sure those guys suffered many a broken ankle from being run over.  OSHA no doubt put an end to that sort of thing :(.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Nice to see you stop by! It's been a long time!

It may have been Fairyland. I honestly can't remember either, and I think it was only around for a short period.

Thanks! Check it out: Found it on someone's home vid.  At about 0:33 you can see the left side painted wall of the ride with its castle topping. It was called "Wonders of Fairyland". 

« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Comments on the video. First - why jump to 1:01 to see the Steeplechase...the entire video was amazing. So restate what BH said. The lack of restraints, the lack of worrying about bodily harm is amazing.

Also, what everyone was wearing back in the day...Wouldn't it be great if Planco could add a vintage guest pack...where they are all dressed like that?

« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Ah, geez, Rich, that old video brought a tear to my eye.

Well, I hate to break all your hearts, but I did not actually make that film!

JCat, hope you like the new signs;