MTC Merlins Funland (Entry 4: Phase 1 released!)

• 17 replies

Offline 89James89

• Fantasy for the win!
    • View Profile
« on: October 05, 2017, 03:22 AM »
Merlin's Theme Company (MTC)

Merlin's Funland!

Entry 1: First steps!

(OOC: So, with PC being on sale last week I finally took the plunge and bought the game to see what everyone was raving about with it and turns out, its not actually that bad lol. Definitely having some fun with this so thought I would share my first park in game while linking it to my RCT3 park by the same (highly fictional) theme park company MTC. Anyway I hope you all enjoy it as much a I am building it!

Also, I tried to build a park in the hard and harder challenge modes. God damn there difficult, anyway....)

Merlin's Funland!

So, whilst we were working on Merlin's Magic Mountain and trying to get it ready for Phase 3 opening (which will still happen at some point don't panic!) One of my Apprentices approached me with some crazy coaster design idea he'd had. Now, we didn't really have any room in MMM to actually fit it in but, never one to stifle creativity, I set out and used some of MMM's budget to purchase another small realm (OOC: Bear with me, I'm basing my parks in some sort of magical realm type thing, all linked by portals) for a really good price. I mean sure, apparently it came with some crazy old cowboy guy that wouldn't leave his old windmill but I'm sure it can't be that bad!

Anyway, giving my aspiring apprentice the go ahead I sent him off with guys to construct his project (with a very limited budget of course, don't want him getting too carried away) and visited him several months later to find he'd built this compact and slightly questionable coaster called Ol' Rusty around the old cowboys windmill thing (not sure if the old guy objected to this, I seem to remember my Apprentice borrowing a security guard a while back though.....)

Complete with the old cowboy sitting atop his windmill. Apparently he keeps yelling at the riders (wait, why is the park even open?) though, has yet to actually shoot anyone which is nice of him!

So, one thing you may have noticed is that apparently when they connected this here portal to MTC's interchange hub (the area in the real world where the portals to all (2 of them) the parks is located) they forgot to tell guests services and ticketing that the park wasn't actually open and, well, one thing led to another and soon this here portal had too many people spilling through it to actually stop them......

Still, at least the park is making money and so far, the law suits for injuries haven't been that bad, with only a  few guests inclined to try and climb the coaster tracks while they're operating!

Anyway, fairly impressed with my Apprentices work, I decided to increase the funding and put my own stamp on the park, complete with my own, currently under construction, house and smaller cousin of Gargoyle, on top of a similarly smaller mountain. Sure, I may have got a bit carried away with spending and striping the budget for MMM a bit too much (basically stagnating Phase 3 and confusing Old Capitan Longcog), basically having now ran out of cash, but progress requires sacrifice and I like building stuff.

Thought we would take a break though and get some pictures of the park as it currently stands while we wait for funds from both the parks to allow us to continue!

View of the park currently from the portal side of the river.

Here, is the dangerously under supported hold drop lifhthill thing of Gargoyles Revenge or Son of Gargoyle or something (basically we haven't decided yet). Don't worry though, at the moment it's being (expensively) magically supported by a couple of extremely bored low level apprentices while the supports are built. Beside it you can also see my modest new mansion/boarding station.

And, basically that's it for the first look at the park. There is also a rather boring looking carnival ride aeroplane spinning thing that we got for cheap but I didn't want to waste film photographing it for you yet. The huge walls and gates that you can see in the skyline shot are the tasteful limits of phase 1 which, seeing as were running out of money already we've decided to reign in a bit and complete what we have but other than that, its a wrap for the first look!

Hope you all enjoy it anwyay and ignore the mess, I'm sure at some point we'll fix it (or get distracted and start building something else)

Till next time!

Merlin

(OOC: So, props if you actually sat and read all of my rather hashed attempts at linking this and my RCT3 park together. I will try and finish Phase 3 on my RCT3 park as well for anyone who's interested in it, it might just take a bit longer now. Other than that I hope you like it and C&C are welcome as always!

Till next time!

James)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:05 PM by 89James89 »

Offline InfiniteChaos

• InfiniteChaos
    • View Profile
Re: MTC Merlins Funland (Entry 1)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:39 AM »
Looks good so far! I will certainly be checking this thread out as you continue building MTC!

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Welcome to the dark side.  Can't wait to see what you're gonna bring to PC.

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I always enjoyed your RCT3 work, can't wait to see it in PC! Looks like we won't be disappointed! ;)
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:03 AM »
How about Son of Gargoyle's Revenge?  :D

Everything looks great!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Glad you decided to take the PC-Plunge. Your RCT3 skills should translate quite nicely to Planet Coaster. Lookin' forward to more.

Offline Yoshi

• So, I kind of fell off the wagon for a while...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:01 AM »
The idea the guests are walking out of a portal is actually pretty interesting. Forgive me for not being very active, but I think it's an interesting way of disguising the way they just appear out of nowhere.
I suck. Really.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DinoYoshi133

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Some great shots particuarly for your first park! It looks great! Excited for more!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline 89James89

• Fantasy for the win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
Entry 2: Progress!

So, were back in Funland with some progress to show you all, jumping right in with this new view from the mainstreet thingy. As you can see, the drop part of the guest named Son of Gargoyles Revenge! (SOGR) Is finally supported with part of my expanding mansion and some rocks. Don't worry, I've given the guys who were supporting it a couple of days off to recoup, mainly because the union told me I had too but I'm sure we can find them some more overly thrilling things to do when they get back!

So, next up we have the flat ride that I mentioned in the last entry that has had some random theming thrown in to help it fit in and named Busted Boiler!

Continuing on with the relatively small western themed area with have some basic architecture containing some food and toilets with SOGR racing into its second inversion in the background.

(OOC: Also, not entirely all that interesting as a photo but I have my first steam submission here in the form of a skin for the bumper cars.)

Finally, to finish off, we have this look at my mansions WIP courtyard with the queue line for SOGR! Weaving it's way behind it. Also, made it a night photo because why not. Also you can see one of the namesake gargoyles sitting on the fountain and glaring at the worker who's just gone past. Don't worry they don't (normally) bite.

Now, as you may have noticed we've had to close the park while we work on it. Unfortunately we had a bit of a incident where a few (alright, about 30) people fell of a cliff as we were in the process of terraforming it and well, although no one suffered any permanent injuries several H&S officials from various agencies advised us very sternly to not open until we were ready.

On the plus side, we can now work faster on it as we don't have the guests in the way but on the down side, income has dried up so we need to get what we have finished off and tidied up and the park open as soon as possible before we run out of money

Also, that old cowboy has wandered off somewhere since we've closed the park so I might need to get someone to find him before he does something stupid or breaks something.

Till next time!

Merlin

Re: MTC Merlins Funland (Entry 2: Progress!)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04 AM »
So you've had this game for a couple of weeks and you're building like this?  Fast learner!

I really like the bumper car skin and can totally see myself using that in my next rustic park.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:39 AM »
This is FANTASTIC!   :up:  I love the position of the dive coaster!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Great shots of your dive coaster. The mainstreet is looking good too
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:02 AM »
That wooden bumper cars retheme is so amazingly nice. Good job!

Offline 89James89

• Fantasy for the win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Entry 3: Getting there

So, as the title suggests we are getting pretty close to wrapping up the final bits for phase 1 and getting the park back open to the public and actually making some money which would be nice, given how bad the books currently look. So, this is just a little look at some more of the work that we have been carrying out since the last time that you saw a progress update from the park, where, remember we were going to finish up what we had and get ourselves open.

Well as you can see from the following image that didn't exactly go entirely to plan as the small mansion that once stood as my house on top of the hill (and the station for SOGR), might have got a tiny bit bigger and more grand.

Ok, fair enough, we built a bit of a castle up here, I suppose the looks of 'your going bankrupt' is justified but I got a bit carried away and, well, this happened. At least it gives a nice area for the coaster station to sit in and gave us room to put another flat ride and several shops and therefore, more money making thingies, into the park and it didn't cost all that much............honest.

So, other than that here's a couple of shots of SOGR, one of the signature drop and then another of the twisty helix part of the back half of the ride which, currently stands half finished as we need to add more foliage and rock work around it before we open.

So, that's it for what is probably the last update before we open for phase 1, so I hope your all as excited as we are. Also, we still haven't found old Bill though, there has been some strange banging and the occasional explosion coming from one side of the park lately so he might have something to do with that.....

Let's hope he hasn't done anything too stupid....

Till next time!

Merlin

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
Re: MTC Merlins Funland (Entry 3: Getting there!)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Lol, if that dive coaster is the one inspired by Sacrifice from Conifer Slopes way back in '07, you may be remembering my coaster with a bit of rose colored glasses--it was a total train wreck. Lol, this is far superior in every regard and not just b/c it's made in PlanCo. Great stuff, I'm really loving the vibe you're creating.

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 06:08 AM »
i love the castle courtyard idea

Offline 89James89

• Fantasy for the win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Replies:

mb1.0.2: Maybe lol but it still acted as the basis for the predecessor RCT3 so I still love it and am glad for the inspiration you provided!

womanrct: Thanks, it was a complete spur of the moment thing that turned out pretty nicely.

Entry 4: Phase 1 release!

Welcome back to Merlins Funalnd where we've effectively run out of money and ne...... I mean, have a lovely park to let you lot explore! Yep, Merlins Funland is now open to the public, come and join us and explore the varied rides w.... nope can't even finish that sentence. Still we have a couple of fun coasters and some random flats so head on down and enjoy it!

I need to fire the PR team.

Anyway, here we have a few shots from the opening day of Phase 1 where we managed to breath a large sigh of relief as we were flooded with excited guests (and no lawsuits this time). Not much else to say really so here's some pictures

Crowds begin to stampede out of the portal and across the bridge!

Some random archy on the mainstreet as I don't think I've ever actually shown the buildings properly here.

More crowds seen in front of SOGR as they make their way up the mountain towards the coaster!

Speaking of which here's a picture of the queue for SOGR, better get a priority pass!

The bumper cars did quite nicely as well, especially with a lovely view of SOGR from the queue. Were also here for another reason though.

You see we found Bill. Well, ok., I went on holiday for several weeks and when I came back, noticed that there was a lot of noise coming from behind this fence (apparently while I was away no one thought this was worth investigating). Turns out old Bill has had some wild premonition about there being gold or something in the ground and has dug this big hole and set up this temporary camp for him and some of his buddies (and a few of my apprentices apparently). Still, we'll worry about that another day as I have this opening to get on with now and I'm sure he can't break too much stuff!

So, that's all for opening day! I have this map as well to finish this up to go along with free passes for you guys to go check the park out (eg the link to the steam workshop!).

Hope you all enjoy the park!

Steam link!:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202048283

Till next time!

Merlin

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: MTC Merlins Funland (Entry 4: Phase 1 released!)
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50 PM »
This coming along really nicely. I love that dive coaster. It makes quite an imposing view up on the hill above the peeps.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot