Tutorial: How to improve performance for recording and playing

• 3 replies

Offline CoasterdesignerNo1

• Welcome to the shit show!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Tutorial: How to improve performance for recording and playing

Well, most of us, including me, experienced that their joy with the game is getting lower the less frames we get per second.  Almost anyone uses ParkCleanUp (you'll see it's an useful tool in this tutorial soon), some of us have the option using LAA (Large Adress Aware) , so they can play on big files (~>20 MB) and making such huge parks that these files cause others pcs to crash. But what if you can play in your file, can't record or take screenshots of your project and then you finish it and you're not able to record an acceptable video? If you look at it afterwards and see the way to low frame rate caused often by too dense foliage, or too much stuff to render, you often feel sad, because your project and the hours you put in it don't look the way it could. Sometimes the recorder doesn't even let you actually record since we all know that then if the recording works we get a 1-3 fps, but you see it's still the same fps like you're still in "playing" mode. This is already time-consuming, but so frustrating if you either never get the chance to record or the finished video output file is just horrible because of lag and low fps. Sometimes the "weakness" of the own pc can be frustrating. Of course, you can upgrade your pc and buy the newest hard ware on the market, but I may show you a way that you should definitely try before investing in a new graphic card or processor, because it only costs you time.

But I'll show you now a way that allowed me to record files (from me and others) that I was not even able to open before. It's some work to do but the chances are good to get a better result with a higher fps and less lag than one with a low fps.. or at least an actual video file than none in case the recorder doesn't want you to record.So let's get started!

#0 The idea
The general idea is using only the stuff ingame that we actually need in this file and deleting this what we are not in need of. Some people have "Themed" folders with ~900+ CS-Sets,
but for this park to run and record they only need let's say 150... This difference can improve our fps since the objects that are not required in this specific file are not even loaded in the game, what would happen normally.

#1 creating an back up somewhere on our hard drive.
We go to our programs folder and look up for RCT3. Then we go the "Style/Themed" Folder and copy it to our selected favorite place (for example our Desktop), but not in the folder of RCT3 as this can cause trouble.

#2 Install ParkCleanUp2
if you already using it skip to #3

#3 Is All CS needed for the park installed?
Open ParkCleanUp2 and load the parkfile you want to record.
Then don't clean it and look on the tab labeled "content".
Select "Do a deep check" and watch the progress bar. There should be no errors

#4 Zipping the file
Now get back to the "general" tab and clean up the file.

Then you click on the button "Create ParkZIP" and select a place (for example Desktop) where you can save the .zip.
Wait again till the process is finished and you can find a completed .zip on your chosen place. Afterwards you can save the park file normally.

#5 Deleting
Now go back to the original "Style/Themed" folder and delete anything except the two .ovls, these must remain in this folder in the programs folder of RCT3. The CS are not deleted, but moved out of the game for a better performance

#6 Copying what we only need
Now open your parkZIP and open the folder "Custom objects".

then go to the sub-folder "style", then to "Themed".

Now you will find all CS-Folders required for this park to run.

Select all folders copy them to your normal "Style/Themed" in your RCT3 programs folder.

#7 Checking
Repeat now #3 to make sure everything's on board you need for this file to run.

#8 Run the game as usual

Note: You can extend this method to not only deleting unused CS, which we did, but you can delete unused CFRs, CTRs Cars and CTs and even Particle Effects, if you create a backup in #1 and delete these respective folders in #5 too!

WARNING: I don't guarantee that this will always work and I won't be responsible for any damage (e.g. No;SVD-errors can/may occur) ! But so far I've used this method on ~10 different park files and I didn't experience any damage caused by this method. But if you actually do experience trouble just let me know.

I hope that this might help some people who don't own high-end gaming pcs creating some decent footage of their rides, parks and projects or just finishing these!

Greetings,
CoasterdesignerNo1

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial: How to improve performance for recording and playing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for writing this tutorial. I hope people will find it helpful.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Chromin

• I mostly just lurk nowadays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:14 PM »
This is a great tutorial! I've stumbled upon the problem before; I'll try this method in the future and hopefully it'll make my life easier.
Nothing to see here

Offline CoasterdesignerNo1

• Welcome to the shit show!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Thanks for writing this tutorial. I hope people will find it helpful.
This is a great tutorial! I've stumbled upon the problem before; I'll try this method in the future and hopefully it'll make my life easier.
Thanks to both of you for your kind words!