C.O.A. Dreamland Kingdom - The Confectionery

• 38 replies

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Hello everybody, welcome to Dreamland Kingdom:)

After many years of RCT3 playing, and finally during last year, when I started to play Planet Coaster, built my first parks and learned some first skills on clever and good looking usage of scenery, now that learning experience is flowing into this third park, which will go more into details, but still with the aim to become a full park and FPS friendly... The park is inspired a little by DLP, but not only and the focus is on small scenery pieces, own characters and imagineering tricks like forced perspective, etc... I like to build all the buildings and scenery which I use in my parks all by myself, but of course with lots of inspiration from other creations and reality.

So lets have a look at the first new pictures of the entrance and front plaza area:

The sign in front of the entrance.

The small entrance / exit buildings with gates.

The right one of the two passages below the train station. I assume I will add billboards in the future.

An aerial view of the whole front area with plaza, trainstation, wooden coaster on the right and the avenue and castle in the back.

The train station with the front plaza behind.

The iconic light-house, where the wooden coaster circles around.

It looks almost like a racer, but it's not... it just has two lifthills. But with that feature, the coaster gets more ride / brake sections and can be operated with up to four trains.

The whole coaster is themed with a nice New England style and surrounded by the park train, which also drives through that scenery...

One of the characters of Dreamland Kingdom, but there are many more...

Hope you like what you see! Would really love to read any feedback!
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:37 PM by corkscrewloop »
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: C.O.A. Dreamland Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Wow, that's fantastic!  I love everything but am especially enthralled by the wooden coaster!  That looks like a great ride even without all the gorgeous theming around it.

That custom mascot is GREAT!  Never seen that before.  What's it's name?

I can see that COA still stands for "Corkscrew's Original Awesomeness" :D
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:45 AM »
What a wonderful park!!  It all looks very realistic and the details are amazing!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Superb!!! Looks real. The captures are so clear. Park looks awesome. I love the mascot.
Funny - I actually was thinking of making some mascots early on when this shapes were added, but never got to iy. I was going to use sports mascots as models.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:35 PM »
The lighthouse in the coaster is awesome! Very well done.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Wow! This looks super fun and you did amazing with the wooden coaster. I am looking forward to more updates because this is just phenomenal!

Offline nazmakhan

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:08 AM »
What a lovely realistic park! The park has a nice flow and architectures look good. Keep up the good work. :up:

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Very impressive beginning to this park. And that wooden coaster. :o
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 11:51 PM »
This is looking great so far! The inspiration is obvious, but you gave it a twist which really works out to give it its own feeling.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:07 AM »
Oh wow, thank you all so much for all that great feedback and comments, this is really amazing!!!

That is what I had in mind with the mascots, used all the smallest available pieces:

And it really works well with the vista point in the game, gives a fantastic atmosphere.
I'm not sure on the style of the sign behind, its actually just to show you the names of the three... (guess by color)

I've built more characters for that park and they will be featured then in the attractions.

A lot of greets, corkscrewloop :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Well, you've got three mascots there and there are 3 letters in COA.  So you could name them Charlie, Opie, and Alex, which are kinda gender-neutral.  Especially as there's no telling if these alien beings even have genders ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 04:18 AM »
Well, you've got three mascots there and there are 3 letters in COA.  So you could name them Charlie, Opie, and Alex, which are kinda gender-neutral.  Especially as there's no telling if these alien beings even have genders ;)
Thanks Bullethead, great idea... I might think about that.

Meanwhile I continued work on the main street, which is called "Centuries Avenue"... Lets have a look at the main store there, "The Belle Epoque"...

Standing at the beginning of "Centuries Avenue" on the corner, "The Belle Epoque" is Dreamland Kingdom's first and main souvenir store.

The iconic building, built as lean as possible - unfortunately before the latest update, so there are no glass shopping windows... (yet)

The shopping area is located behind five building facades.

Beatiful lit at night, it invites for a shopping tour... especially before leaving the park at closing time... Who doesn't want to take home a souvenir for a great memory. :)

Ok, lets go for a first shopping tour...

The home and decor department, selling mugs, cups, cookie jars, chef's hats, aprons, etc.

There is a passage into the clothes department...

... The wardrobe - here you find caps, princess dresses, T-shirts, etc. and you can also leave directly into the "Centuries Avenue".

Same room, seen from the opposite direction.

The third and largest department is "The Toy Corner", selling lots of different plush, toys in boxes, etc.

The third entrance seen from the avenue...

And again seen from the rooftop of the opposite side of the street.
Notice the forced perspective on the floor levels and also in the Z-axis... The facade distances gets smaller towards the castle...

Hope you like what you see! Would appreciate your feedback!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 06:25 AM »
That is a gorgeous building inside and out, and the forced perspective came out very well!  Great job!

But shouldn't it be "La Belle Epoque" instead od "The" ? :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 06:26 AM »
looks great - love the interior details

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Fabulous job on the Belle Epoque. It's one of the best shop interiors I've seen.
My only criticism on the last update are the custom trees. Perhaps you could replace the "log" trunk with one of the dead tree trunks instead. Just a thought.

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 01:15 PM »
The shop looks amazing, the interior work is superb, you used a lot of different objects to create a realistic and detailed interior shopping. Well done!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:23 PM »
looks great - love the interior details
Thanks so much wowmanrct!

The shop looks amazing, the interior work is superb, you used a lot of different objects to create a realistic and detailed interior shopping. Well done!
Thank you so much RCT D, yes I tried to use a lot of different objects to give a little variety on the souvenirs, sad is only that Planet Coaster does not offer smaller art shapes.

That is a gorgeous building inside and out, and the forced perspective came out very well!  Great job!

But shouldn't it be "La Belle Epoque" instead od "The" ? :D
Thanks a lot Bullethead! Yes "La belle époque" as we would say in french... I used "THE", because I wanted it with an American or English touch in the name... Let's go for a shopping tour at The Belle Epoque... ;)

Fabulous job on the Belle Epoque. It's one of the best shop interiors I've seen.
My only criticism on the last update are the custom trees. Perhaps you could replace the "log" trunk with one of the dead tree trunks instead. Just a thought.
Thank you so much Shyguy... I got myself inspired by your work of course and also from parks like Nemmie's Lake Euphoria, etc. for the interiors.
Regarding the tree's... You are right, I don't like the log trunk, but its not so easy... I tend to build as real (small) as possible, so there arent too much trunks available:

so I prepared a picture with some examples, these are all dead trunks available...

1 is the current, the others - 2 / 3 / 4 are the new proposals available. The 4 is a mix out of 1 and 3, and then the rest 0, 5 and 6 are just too large... I personally would still choose the log trunk (1), as the others are a little to "wild" in my opinion for an avenue, where I expect perfectly gardened straight trees... But I'm curious on others opinions.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:27 PM by corkscrewloop »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Yes, I had a feeling the dead tree trunks might be too gnarled or too big. 3 is the best, but it's a little short. Have you tried the small beach tree? That's my go-to tree when I need a small, compact tree. Otherwise, your original trees may still work better. Perhaps simply lowering them a bit, so there is not so much of the straight log trunk showing.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Thanks a lot Bullethead! Yes "La belle époque" as we would say in french... I used "THE", because I wanted it with an American or English touch in the name... Let's go for a shopping tour at The Belle Epoque... ;)

I dunno.  Using French direct articles instead of English is très chic in America, n'est pa?  But maybe I think that way because I live in a place where Cajun "French" is commonly spoken and everybody throws French words and phrases into everyday speech (along with Spanish, Italian, German, 7 or 8 Indian languages, and a bit of Algerian, occasionally spiced with some Tagalog or Tok Pisin).  Nobody can understand each other because most of the time, nobody's sure which language they're speaking ;).

BTW, I like the original custom trees the best.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:17 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I am liking how this is looking. I think trees can be swapped out until it finally clicks. I know I am very particular on my style in RCT3, so that often requires landscaping to be refreshed frequently. Just play with it a bit until you fall in love with the look!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 05:21 PM »
You know how much I love this park. I realised I hadn't commented over here yet though.
That shop is drop dead gorgeous. The exterior shots are superb, but the interior is something else. I've not seen anyone try to do this type of shop interior. Little touches like the dresses really made me smile. This had a real boutique vibe about it.
It's like I said over on the PC forums, your building skills just seem to be getting better and better, every time you post something. The forced perspective is very clever.
And thanks for the shoutout. I feel honoured. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:23 PM by Nemmie »

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Thank you all so much, for the great feedback!
I'm still trying on the trees, there are a few new versions which I'm considering to use instead the ones which are currently there...

@Nemmie, thanks for your comment, yes you are right... building skills grow (slowly)... My training was definitely the castle. Almost 4K pieces without interriours, so that was (and still is) weeks and weeks of work, and probably my best building I've ever done.  I hope I can soon show it in detail. The surroundings and interriours are still in work right now.
You know since the release of the DLC's we have much more pieces and its much easier to build things, such as those interriours of the shops...

I'm most amazed on what some people here in the forums are creating, things I'm still far away. I just browsed this morning through the PC best pictures thread... Its fantastic to see what all was built and showed over the last two years... Thanks for inspiring and showing us the way... ;)

Before we go into details of the castle and Centuries Avenue... a few more pics with a little bit of atmosphere!

Hope you like what you see... Would like to read your feedback!
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop! :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19 PM »
I'm most amazed on what some people here in the forums are creating, things I'm still far away. I just browsed this morning through the PC best pictures thread... Its fantastic to see what all was built and showed over the last two years... Thanks for inspiring and showing us the way... ;)

Corkscrew, everything you make is worthy of the "Best Pictures" thread and I doubt I'll get any dissent on that from the others.  You have excellent taste and style, an appreciation of the proper way things in parks should look, and can form a clear mental picture of what you want so you can then work towards it using your evident skill and familiarity with the editors and available parts.

Ever see the moving Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine and Steve Martin?  You're Michael Caine, I'm Steve Martin :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 06:55 PM »
This is becoming one of the best Disney-inspired parks I've seen. I can't wait to see what you do with the other lands.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 11:43 AM »
That castle is gorgeous. It was well worth the time you put into it. Wonderful update all round, I especially love the first and last pics. And I agree with Shyguy. To say that this isn't a Disney rec, it looks better and more authentic than a lot of actual Disney park recreations I've seen.

Offline cody

• View Profile
Re: C.O.A. Dreamland Kingdom - A first look at the castle
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Everything looks spectacular! I am loving how much Disney-inspired this. Amazing castle!

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02 AM »
The castle is looking incredible. I can't wait to see it up close :)

The mainstreet is nice as well, the buildings fit well with each other and the details on them really pop. I do feel like the street could use some more life. As you said, the current trees aren't the best, so you might want to change them. As Shy mentioned; the smallest Beach Tree (I think Beach Tree 3 to be precise) would work best. Custom trees are hard to do, especially at the scale you are going for.
But besides the trees, the street could use maybe some small plants - either hanging from the buildings or on the street - or maybe some flags, lanterns hanging above the street or between buildings and trees.

Either way, the park is looking great so far and I am very curious to see how it develops.

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I love the characters.  Great build, can't wait to see where it goes.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 04:14 PM »
I've had a thought about the trees. Would it work if instead of using the logs, take a tree with a decent trunk and turn it upside down and sink all of it into the ground except the trunk and then make your leafy canopy on top? The roots would act as the branches which would be mostly covered in shrubs anyway.