A A A A Author Topic: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - Teaser for 1983  (Read 5116 times)

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - Teaser for 1983
Post #1     : June 04, 2014, 02:42 PM
Blog Post #1, June 2014

Hello everyone!
My name is Peter Ross, and I'd like to introduce you to Jolly Hills.

Before I get to write about the park, here are some facts about myself, and about why I decided to write this blog.
I was born in Seattle back in 1946. My family and I moved to Portland in the 50s. I was just 12 years old, when Jolly Hills opened. You can guess, I was a fan from the very first day.

In 1964, I founded the Jolly Hills fan club - and I still run it today. But later this year, I will have to retire from presidency, so I want to take the opportunity to share my memories, my photos, my diary posts, my souvenirs from the park with a whole new generation of Jolly Hills fans.

Over all these years and decades, I have collected a lot of stuff. Brochures, maps, photos and other souvenirs from my dear home park. It would be too much of a shame if all this would collect further dust in my drawers, so let me begin to share the history of Jolly Hills with you!

Park guide 1958

First I'd like to show you my scan of the 1958 park guide. I'm lucky to own one, as they are very rare nowadays, and I don't own many Jolly Hills brochures - only from some years!
I didn't bother scanning all the text, but will show you the cover, the official photos, the map and one more thing for the start.

The cover shows the two tallest rides, the ferris wheel and Zephyr, a wooden coaster.

The gate on opening day! I still remember the buzz now, 56 years later. It was a big day for the whole region, and in retrospective knowing the park's history up until today, it was a big day for park enthusiasts from the whole Northwest of the USA. I am somewhere in this crowd. At this point in history, the park had no admission fee yet! So far, the ticket booths only sold ride tickets, the so-called "Jollars".

This must be taken from the roof of the arcade, showing the ferris wheel, the whip and parts of Zephyr.

The ferris wheel...

and again Zephyr (72 ft / 22 m tall). The sign on the bottom left is showing the 1-Jollar-sign, meaning the price for the Merry-Go-Round being 50 cents. Many visitors complained because - based on this photo - they thought it takes 50 cents to ride Zephyr instead...  :facepalm:
For your info, Zephyr costed 5 Jollars that year.

and finally some nighttime aerial shot:

Opening hours and ride ticket fees for 1958:

And finally the map!

That's it for now.
On Friday, the 4th of April, Jolly Hills Amusement Park opened its gates. I was there.
My trip report follows - in my next blog post!

Preview

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:31 PM by Elch »

CGI144

•  
  • :
  • Back up your creations or suffer the consequences
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - Introduction & Map
Post #2     : June 04, 2014, 03:07 PM
Getting a lovely little family of parks on here Elch; I like it!
So far this has all the makings of a classic amusement park. You're off to a great start and look forward to seeing its development.

Grrt

•  
  • :
  • Where's the kaboom?
Post #3     : June 04, 2014, 03:08 PM
Of course! That's such a deceptively simple way to present a park history, and the only way that really makes sense in the context of a forum.. I love Cephyr, it looks like such a great 40's style woodie, with a convincing level of intensity for the region it's in. I see some inklings of hills in the background, you'll wish you had more! Flat parks are so boring to build with haha, something I wish I had learned. I look forward to seeing the park grow, and I hope you put a ton of attention to detail in this. I'm seeing a great ride selection and there's lots of new rides left to add!

Oh, and I guarantee you'll love this page! It helped me through 2 decades of ride selection, though don't limit yourself to what's on here, do some exploring!

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/v/a/vac3/ride1960.html

RTCMAHL

•  
  • :
  • It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Post #4     : June 05, 2014, 09:12 AM
I gotta say I love the details and thought that has gone into the park. The jollars is a cool idea. The park is small and seems realistic enough. Can we get a pov of the zephyr??  :D

Mac

•  
  • :
  • Rebooting...
Post #5     : June 05, 2014, 09:52 AM
I can say this, you've always had a knack for presentation within each and everyone of your projects, no doubt about that. As for the park, I love the early classical theme park vibe, activities amidst each corner, so 'jolly'  ;), love the work mate!

-Mac

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - Grand Opening Day (1958)
Post #6     : June 05, 2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Spoiler (hover to show)

And I have to thank CFH Rides for The Whip, which was the main impulse to inspire me for this park!

Blog Post #2

Hi everyone!

I'm back with my photos from the grand opening day. Actually it was my parents taking most of these. I think I would have spent the whole film on Zephyr, and my parents refused to use more than one film.

For those of you born after 1975:
That means 12 photos. For the whole day. In black and white.

But the time would come one day, that I bought my first color film to spend it on Jolly Hills!

Anyway, for now, here are the photos from the opening day!

Opening Day (1958)

Walking through the gate:

Behind the ticket booths (will be shown in my next update), you are walking straight towards the Jolly Hills Stage. Throughout the day, various music groups were performing there, and in the summers, there were also often more known bands or singers giving smaller gigs there.

Right at the entrance, there's a nice playground, which I was a bit too old for then. However, I still liked that giant slide, and I took a photo from top of it:

The big building houses a caféteria, a small souvenir shop, and service facilities.

The ferris wheel! Clearly one of the top rides in the park around that time.

And the little building on the lower left corner, where you still can see its roof, that's where you can buy more jollars (the ride tickets) without having to walk all the way back to the entrance.

The good old Merry-Go-Round (I was too old for this, and back then I thought it was a waste of space):

I preferred the Ferris Wheel really. I got a great view on Zephyr from it:

I liked Zephyr, but at that time, my favourite ride in the whole park was the Creepy Castle!

I thought it was scaaaary!  :scared:

Over the day, the park became more and more busy. It was probably the best park in the region right from Day 1, and the crowds took the chance to discover this new rising family destination. There was no admission fee, which brought lots and lots of visitors to the park. On the evening, the park was bursting at the seams. The park closed on 9 PM that day, and all the crowds tried to make it out of the park:

I still had some Jollars left, so I returned and went on The Whip one more time.
In the meantime, the park emptied a bit, so the side-effects of such a day finally hit the surface.

On the parking lot, I took dad the camera away (knowing there must have been one picture left on the film), turned around once more to take a final snapshot. You also see the bus stop there!

I still had some Jollars left, but it was too late. We didn't make it to Jolly Hills anymore in that year, so the Jollars  became unvalid. 8 Jollars. That's worth a ride on Zephyr and the Creepy Castle!

You see, I still remember this opening day very well. My whole family enjoyed the stay there, and it was the day I became an amusement park fan. A Jolly Hills fan. I won't have that detailed memories for most years, but there's always gonna be enough other material to share!

And in my next update (1959), we will see a new ride.

FlightToAtlantis

•  
  • :
  • RCT3 Perpetually.
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - Grand Opening Day (1958)
Post #7     : June 06, 2014, 03:16 AM
An unusual and charming concept. 
Why mess with all those clones or imposters when we have the real thing – RCT3.

RCTSpanky

•  
  • :
  • Old RCT fart :)
Post #8     : June 06, 2014, 01:46 PM
I love your concepts, always interesting to read and the timeline is a nice idea ...

BTW: You could add a few smaller trees in your 1956 park. It will look more realistic, if they grow with your park over all the years.  ;)

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #9     : June 06, 2014, 07:59 PM
This is a charming park, and you really captured the 50's feeling in it.  Every picture is like a little time capsule! Excellent job on the brochure as well.

NicoToonZ

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #10     : June 07, 2014, 09:17 AM
It's actually unusual to go back to the past. Everything is 100% fantastic and amazing! Well Done!!!  :w00t:

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1959: Little Highway
Post #11     : June 07, 2014, 01:16 PM

Spoiler (hover to show)

Blog Post #3

Hi again everyone!

Ready for more black & white?

Here we go!

While I still have clear memories from my first visit in 1958, already now I start to get problems to allocate memories to their actual years. That's why I will begin to write less now. Also, the photos might become a bit repetitive, but I can assure you that there will be new things to discover in almost every year.

The new ride for 1959 was a car ride, which I thought was totally exciting. I remember a day in late April, when I  just couldn't wait any longer, and basically forced mum to go to Jolly Hills with me. It was raining cats and dogs on that morning. I still forced her. She had no chance to resist.
One hour later, we arrived on the parking lot:

It was totally empty, which was a nice change compared to my first time at Jolly Hills.

On the opening day, lots of different artists performed on the Jolly Hills stage on the entrance plaza, but now it was just the same Salsa band, all days, always with the same song. It was going to be stuck in my head forever.

Gorgeous weather, wasn't it.

"Little Highway", the new car ride for the 1959 season, which is embedded in a beautiful garden landscape:

The rain finally stopped when we sat in the ferris wheel. Got a great view on Little Highway from it!

At the little pond:

Near round-up and the first drop of Zephyr:

And finally the station of my (still) favourite ride - the Creepy Castle!

That's it for 1959.
See you soon for my next update, with some photos from 1960, when a new coaster came to the park!

CoasterVenturer

•  
  • :
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1959: Little Highway
Post #12     : June 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
I really like your timeline, it's a clever way to update a park with a realistic sense of expansion. I also have to say your terraforming is really wonderful too, it really adds depth to a lot of your pictures!

Your woodie looks like a lot of fun too, and I'm curious what kind of coaster you're gonna add

mb1.0.2

•  
  • :
  • Keepin' it Classy
Post #13     : June 08, 2014, 09:13 AM
I love all your work, but there's something special about Jolly Hills. It's so quaint and simple...it's just right. Can't wait to see this park develop!

sam_

•  
  • :
  • I tend to change, that's nature
Post #14     : June 08, 2014, 10:35 AM
I love that stage you built, looks like something you'd actually see in a real park. Outstanding work in all, can't wait to see more!  :)

Secena

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #15     : June 08, 2014, 01:49 PM
Absolutly amazing ! So perfect ! Your second photo on your first post is fantasticly realistic ! At the beginning I thought it was a real park !

I love everything !

NicoToonZ

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #16     : June 08, 2014, 02:31 PM
WOW! Just, WOW! I think "Little Highway" is too similar to the "Snoopy 500" ride at Kings Island. Very well done indeed!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1960: Wild Mouse
Post #17     : June 09, 2014, 07:41 AM

Spoiler (hover to show)

Blog post #4

The park has closed in winter, but usually reopens on the first Friday in April. Unless that's the 1st of April, then the park opens already a week before. That's what happened in...

1960!

It was another rainy day at Jolly Hills, when we visited in that year, even though it didn't look like it's going to rain when we arrived:

The bumper cars (left) and the arcade (right). Somehow, the bumper cars weren't very popular. I never went on them, either.

The rain set in just as we stood in queue for Zephyr. I hoped to take some onride-photos this time, but that didn't turn out well, apart of the photo I took on the lifthill:

The other photos that I took on Zephyr were a mess, so I won't post them.

Then we spotted the new coaster for 1960: The Wild Mouse!

There's also the old ice cream stand in the photo. The park didn't have enough employees then to always keep the paths clean from rubbish. Somehow things weren't going right with the park, financially, so the addition of a new coaster was a risky, but necessary decision.

The next photo shows us three things. First, the new Wild Mouse. Second, a new planter, on the place where the park ended still a year ago. And third, a new empty area to the left, where there were trees before. The place for next year's addition, maybe?

The Wild Mouse, in a very basic environment:

The new expansion area, as seen from the Ferris Wheel, including the empty area that put question marks all over me.

You also see that they have rotated the Round-Up towards the planter. It's not gonna be that way forever, the Round-Up was the first ride that had to go in the early 60s. But now it still did its turns.

And that was my last visit at Jolly Hills with a B&W film in my camera! From my next update on: Yellowed, but still kinda coloured photos. And a very yummy new addition. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:43 AM by Elch »

Grrt

•  
  • :
  • Where's the kaboom?
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1960: Wild Mouse
Post #18     : June 09, 2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah, there's quite a lot of rides that were doomed to become fair rides after the 60's. The round up is one of them, and unfortunately the wild mouse too. I'm not quite sure if the steel breed were around back then, I prefer the wood mouse ones anyways.

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1960: Wild Mouse
Post #19     : June 10, 2014, 07:18 PM
That's a nice shot of the entrance, I like the way you used the awnings on the diagonal ticket booths. The wooden Wild Mouse is so cool and retro like everything in the park so far.

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1961: Pizza "Le Alpe"
Post #20     : June 11, 2014, 08:22 AM

Spoiler (hover to show)

Blog Post #5

Hey again everyone!
I'm happy to be back to share my pictures from my 1961 visit - in colour! There's a very tasty new addtion as well.
Also, I had bought my first colour film ever, and I have never looked back into the black & white past. Just most of the colour on the photos is gone nowadays, over 50 years later.. ah well. Hope you'll enjoy them anyway!

I'm back to Jolly Hills:

The "main street" of the old park:

And walking past the turn-off to Creepy Castle, I discovered a new building beyond the new planters, where there was still an empty area last year. The new pizzeria "Le Alpe"!

The park did a real good choice with this addition, for all kinds of reasons. The crowds in the park used to be stuck to the self-service Caféteria at the entrance plaza, a reason why large parts of the back-then "far away" area often remained empty.

This new eatery, the park's first á la cárte restaurant, should drag the crowds to the newest part of the park, including the new Wild Mouse. And oh how it did!

Also, Pizza was the new big thing around this time. One more good reason.

Third, the park wasn't doing too well financially around 1960, shortly after its grand opening. The new pizza place should solve that problem with ease, as a pizza costed more than the admission fee to the park!
At least, they have raised that from 1 to 5 Dollars. It inevitably showed by total visitor numbers going down, but at least the park's balance didn't go down anymore since the 1961 season. And Pizza "Le Alpe" went down very well with the visitors!

This - I've been told - was the most popular table at the new pizza place (the one in the "cave" under the stairs).

The park's boss is said to have sit here every evening after the park closed, enjoying a glass of Chianti, and making new plans for Jolly Hills.

I also went up the stairs to see what's on the 2nd floor.
More tables...:

...and a very nice terrace from where you can overlook large parts of the old park:

That's it from "Le Alpe" for now, this place - that can be said already now - quickly became the heart of Jolly Hills.

Unlike the Little Highway further near the entrance... it wasn't well received at all. I had the luck to take a photo with someone actually riding it!

On my way back to the entrance, I also discovered this little new gate that was added over the winter break:

No signs anywhere, but my parkmap suggested that it's the way to the park's new first aid station. I hope I won't ever need that one!

That's it for 1961. In my next update, one of the rides got replaced already.
Stay tuned!

RTCMAHL

•  
  • :
  • It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1961: Pizza "Le Alpe"
Post #21     : June 11, 2014, 04:25 PM

Love this Park! And I'm glad the updates just keep on coming. Hope it makes it to the age of video cameras and steel coasters!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1962: Tilt-a-whirl
Post #22     : June 14, 2014, 02:51 PM
Spoiler (hover to show)

Blog post #6

Hi again! No big words for now, so let's just jump straight into:

Over the past 4 years, the park had gained quite some attention. People began to come from all over Oregon, also visitors from Seattle aren't an exception anymore. Of course, Zephyr is the most popular among the visitors, followed by the Whip and the Wild Mouse.
To my disliking, the Creepy Castle is hardly getting any love. Visitors downright ignored that one. And it was my favourite ride...

anyway, my visit in 1962 began with me spotting something new on the place where the Round-Up has still been a year before:

Indeed, the Round-Up got replaced by a Tilt-A-Whirl. ...as seen from the ferris wheel:

The plans of the park to establish a new centre in the park have totally worked out. At the furthermost area away from the entrance, the new pizza place became the park's point with the second highest density of visitors.

And the Pizza is so good there.

The whole upper floor was reserved for a group when I was there, but they let me take a photo:

I love the terrace. I could have sit here all day, just to watch the Zephyr...

the Wild Mouse...

or to imagine what I would do with the huge pieces of land that still were meant to become parts of Jolly Hills, one day.

That's it already for 1962. There wasn't a lot of development in the 1960s, and the park now had reached some kind of plateau in its addition curve. This means there will soon be less repetitive photos and we'll also be jumping over some years soon, where the park didn't really add anything new. But the time of the big additions will come eventually ;)

Seeya soon for the next update, that's where I'll show you the first nighttime shots of Jolly Hills, as they had this event from 1963 onwards:

Cheers!

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Re: Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1962: Tilt-a-Whirl
Post #23     : June 15, 2014, 07:55 PM
I can't get enough of this park! The pizzeria is a perfect choice for a new restaurant, and the booth under the stairs is a cool touch. I'm looking forward to the nighttime pics!

NicoToonZ

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #24     : June 16, 2014, 12:30 PM
OH YEAH!  ;D It's just like the new nighttime thing down at Disney's Animal Kingdom.  :n00b:

Germs

•  
  • :
  • Respectable Punk
Post #25     : June 16, 2014, 10:29 PM
I love this park's charm. Each new addition is better and better.  :up:

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany

Spoiler (hover to show)

Blog Post #7

Hi again!
I didn't visit the park in 1963, so let's jump right into...

The Jolly Nights of Lights is an event of series on Summer weekends, which had been already introduced in 1963. The park also got rid of the old wooden parkway lamps, as they too often blocked views - both for the visitor's eyes and for photography. They finally got replaced by lower and more fancy lamps.

As I was finally a grown-up, my parents let me visit the park with friends for the first time, and we went there for one of the "Jolly Nights of Lights" events. It was also the day when I founded the Jolly Hills fanclub. It was really low-key in the beginning, with only a handful of members, but it grew from the 1970s onwards.

Now on this summer day in 1964, we spent a great day in the park, and I only got my camera out in the late afternoon to take a photo of the new Paratrooper:

This ride is placed at the end of the park, at a new plaza with four big planters. It looked quite provisory, like there will be more in the future, but for now there was only this plaza, the planters, and the Paratrooper.
You can also see the new lamps!

The park as seen from the new plaza:

As the sun was setting we walked back towards the entrance to attend the "official" opening of the event.

There wasn't anything happening on stage that was worth a photo. So I just took photos of the nice illuminations, as Jolly Hills installed lots of lightbulbs that light up in the dark hours.

The entrance:

The "main street" with the Little Highway and Zephyr:

A view over the little pond towards Pizza "Le Alpe":

The Little Highway, the Whip and the Jollar kiosk:

Zephyr and Tilt-A-Whirl as seen from the ferris wheel:

Creepy Castle:

Pizza "Le Alpe", the Wild Mouse and Tilt-A-Whirl:

Pizza "Le Alpe":

The Wild Mouse still had the old parkway lamps at its sides:

Fireworks!!!

and walking home again...

The big gate at the entrance got a new lamp as well!

The Paratrooper was the last completely new ride until 1972. I visited the park once more in 1965, before I had to take a longer break from it. But I'll tell you more about that in my next blog post!

NicoToonZ

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
FANTASTIC! The Nighttime event was a success!  :w00t:

Grrt

•  
  • :
  • Where's the kaboom?
Egad! Sounds like the park's about to fall into some rough times. I hope you at least get some new buildings! But really the 60's weren't too nice to amusement parks that didn't have a strong local crowdbase for picnics and repeat visits. Thanks a bunch Disney! I hope the park has got some good management.

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
The park looks magical at night, like a step back in time. I like the retro look of your pictures, too.

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Jolly Hills Amusement Park - 1965: Small Update
Post #30     : June 21, 2014, 09:31 AM

Spoiler (hover to show)

One more, before the updates become a bit less frequent (but more filled with new stuff)!

Blog Post #8

Only a few photos from this year. It's the first year with no new ride for a while, and I pretty much had taken photos from everything so far.

The entrance plaza with the stage:

The Whip:

A new souvenir shop next to the pizza place. I hated how it looked like with that flat roof, but there's a reason, as I knew later:

And I also took one more photo of the Paratrooper...

...before I had to say goodbye to the park for the time being.

My friend took over the fan club for some years, and I moved away from Oregon...
to go to University in Cologne, Germany!

I stayed a little longer than I had to, but finally I returned to Oregon and Jolly Hills in 1972.

And the only hint that I can give you for the 1972 addition for now is, that it's not going to be completely dry. ;)

Stay tuned!