The Sketchbook

• 99 replies

Offline iAP

• View Profile
Re: The Sketchbook
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55 PM »
RCTDude, your color and shadows are fantastic! Love Lepidoptera.

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00 PM »
So I'm about to embark on quite an ambitious project.. I'm just working out the placements and such in GIMP. Here's what I've got so far:

The background is more of a placeholder, I'll be merging it much more effectively into the scene once I start on my actual sketch. The perspective just doesn't work.. and a lot of the scenery doesn't really make sense in the context.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The final piece will be in watercolor.

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Here's my first study in line and a bit of color.

Next up is an Elizabeth face..

Offline iAP

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 12:43 PM »
That's looking really cool, Grrt, love the concept. :) Bioshock: Infinite has some fantastic visuals, so you definitely have a wealth of wonderful environments to choose from, haha.

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:55 PM »
It's really hard to find the right environment.. the city has so many different sides! I'm trying to convey everything about the game in one image. Mainly the time period, the architectural style, the fact that Columbia floats, the prophet, the guardian, and the escapee. Utilizing the law of thirds, I think this is a fairly balanced way to get it all in one.

Which direction do you think??

Sorry to spam up! If mods want to merge this into a separate thread then by all means, go ahead!

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:38 PM »
Honestly you might want to try something else with the huge ship in the center. You've placed it right in the center and then with it being dark and red your eye is pulled to it. Then with the other elements being placed on the third your eye is draw to them. That is good but it means your eye is pulled all over the image without much focus. I don't have much for suggestion of what to do with the ship but I just wanted to point that out.

Good luck :) 
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03 AM »
Hmm.. that's a good point..

Here's what happens when I completely remove the ship, as well as reversing Elizabeth.

It still looks very strange.. I think the key problem is that the bird is positioned on the left third, but also faces that way, causing the eye to be completely drawn out of the frame.

And another version.. This time the claw is positioned on the third, with the eye in the top center of that third:

This way feels much more effective to me. Though maybe still a bit off.. The scene lacks that beautiful American triad with the red now. Ugh.

EDIT: Ok, now I think I've settled on a good option.

With the ship in the bottom third it isn't as invasive anymore. Color scheme still needs some tweaking, But I like how the composition looks right now. My eye is glued to Songbird's, which is I think what I want.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:16 AM by Grrt »

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Toofpikk was board,
so he went on facebook, saw something cool, and redesigned it. Now I might (almost certainly wont) win an annual pass to my local park. Once I finish this picture, and 5 others.

Yeah, Im not gonna win.

Offline coasterfreak53

• "Making Custom Scenery, one piece at a time." ~ CF
    • View Profile
    • Coasterfreaks~RCT3~All Things Custom
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00 AM »
These are all pretty good work! Very nice job guys! :D

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Just wanted to show what I have been working on; an Aztec inspired flute. This is my design workflow, the next step is to turn it into a 3D mesh. I may update it later with the notes I have for which elements went into the revisions and then the final.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:38 PM by R-R Ltd. »
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 04:58 AM »

Scene 1 complete. 2 more to go.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:18 AM by toofpikk »

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02 AM »
You might want to know that your img link is broken.

Offline SupremeBordeaux

• Theme Park Studio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 07:34 AM »
R-R Ltd.: Nice flute designs! Very unique man ;)

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Ninja whale:

:mad:up:

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Nice artwork everyone.

An old school project final I did in high school.

Offline dominoes007

• o hai
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 03:49 AM »
My friend who does music videos for various musical artists including Daley asked me to do some concept art/story boarding for him. Mixture of ink and digital.

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18 PM »
BUMB, DA, BUMB!

Its not done but what do you guys think...

Offline SoCalCoasters

• We all Scream For California Sreamin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56 AM »
^You might want to actually scan stuff in so people can get a good view, but honestly it looks like you spent maybe five minutes tops, snapped a picture of, partially creased, it then uploaded it. This is a thread for sketches.  :closedeyes:

Custom Scenery Free Since 2004

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13 AM »
sketch

Noun

A rough drawing or painting

Verb
Make a rough drawing

I believe it is you who doesn't know what a sketch is. SoCal you really ought to be more approachable, your comment was very harsh.

Not everyone has a scanner. I only have mine because my dad's work supplied it.

Its not necessarily Alex's fault the view isn't good, its hard to get a camera to focus on something held up, particularly lead on paper.

Sure you should spend alot of time on a piece of art, but some people get easily satisfied in a short space of time.

If the picture is creased, so what? Does that kill a kitten somewhere? Does it cause a nuclear war? I sure hope it doesn't cause a flame war.

I hope you see your comment is extremely up front and rude, in a threatening and towering manner. I do however agree that the art could be alot better, it doesn't mean you have to speak in such a destructive way.

Alex, I think its a neat Idea however it does look rushed. Maybe try a clean sheet of paper at home, with no lines, and try it again spending time to make attention to detail and maybe 3D kind of things, including shading, and making the text look neat (and fit on the page :P). I hope to see an improvement?

See solcal, it doesn't hurt to be respectable and nice.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:44 PM by toofpikk »

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 01:43 PM »
thanks for the advice. and i will be sure to check it twice ok.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:47 PM by Alexshow Official. »

Offline SoCalCoasters

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I believe it is you who doesn't know what a sketch is. SoCal you really ought to be more approachable, your comment was very harsh.

Not everyone has a scanner. I only have mine because my dad's work supplied it.

Its not necessarily Alex's fault the view isn't good, its hard to get a camera to focus on something held up, particularly lead on paper.

Sure you should spend alot of time on a piece of art, but some people get easily satisfied in a short space of time.

If the picture is creased, so what? Does that kill a kitten somewhere? Does it cause a nuclear war? I sure hope it doesn't cause a flame war.

I hope you see your comment is extremely up front and rude, in a threatening and towering manner. I do however agree that the art could be alot better, it doesn't mean you have to speak in such a destructive way.

Alex, I think its a neat Idea however it does look rushed. Maybe try a clean sheet of paper at home, with no lines, and try it again spending time to make attention to detail and maybe 3D kind of things, including shading, and making the text look neat (and fit on the page :P). I hope to see an improvement?

See solcal, it doesn't hurt to be respectable and nice.

There's a difference between a "rough sketch" and a scribble. And even if he doesn't have a scanner, how long would it take to literally flatten of the piece of paper to take a picture?

I tried being nice to him, back when he pirated nearly a year of my work and proceeded to tarnish everything about it, and all I got back was snarky comments. So he lost my respect long ago, and his behavior hasn't given me any reason to change.

If you look around the forums I'm usually quite amiable and positive in my posts. But if someone messes with my work. They lose my respect. So now he gets my blunt side. And you know what? If you want to work in the industry as a creative individual, you're going to get very blunt comments. So maybe someday the stuff I say will sink in.

Do I come off as harsh? Yes. Just know that it's for a reason. Nothing I said was wrong.

Not sure why you felt like calling me out, but you weren't around when all this went down. I know what a sketch is, don't use your googled wikipedia definition to chastize me. Please.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 03:00 AM »
SoCalCoasters does have a point, and I don't think it's reads overly rude, and certainly not 'extremely'

Toofpikk: I'm sorry, but this is not 'extremely upfront and rude'

^You might want to actually scan stuff in so people can get a good view, but honestly it looks like you spent maybe five minutes tops, snapped a picture of, partially creased, it then uploaded it. This is a thread for sketches.  :closedeyes:

Whilst saying that the image doesn't belong here is not necessarily correct, SCC was not overly rude from what I can see.

Alexshow reacted perfectly well to what was said, so if SoCalCoasters and Toofpikk could please hold the arguments and put this to rest and then we can all reduce the drama here and save this thread for more excellent pictures please. This is the 'quiet' part of the forum, and this is the first bit of mini-drama I've seen here, and I would like it to be the last. Play nice people.

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 06:15 PM »

Been working on my anime drawing. He was supposed to be a nerd but he didn't come out as planned. This sketch is a pleminary and I will probably make a few copies for rendering purposes. Hope you enjoy. Btw please tell me if you can't see the images, I uploaded them using my phone so I don't know if they are showing because I can't see them and I can't get to another device atm.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:18 AM by Hethetheth »

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 12:16 AM »

[snip]

Been working on my anime drawing. He was supposed to be a nerd but he didn't come out as planned. This sketch is a pleminary and I will probably make a few copies for rendering purposes. Hope you enjoy. Btw please tell me if you can't see the images, I uploaded them using my phone so I don't know if they are showing because I can't see them and I can't get to another device atm.

I'm afraid they aren't showing for me.

EDIT: I fixed it. If you right click on the image itself and then select "copy image URL" and use that link then it seems to work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:19 AM by Hethetheth »

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Thanks for the fix Heth, I had uploaded them via my phone and the copy paste functions are a bit glitchy. I guess thats one of the glitches.

Offline Metrea

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10 AM »
all of you guys are very talented and should be proud of it the last time i ever picked up a pencil to draw was back in sophomore year when i used to draw comic strips for my school news paper.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2013, 04:02 PM »
all of you guys are very talented and should be proud of it the last time i ever picked up a pencil to draw was back in sophomore year when i used to draw comic strips for my school news paper.
Oh, why did you stop?

A sketch for the first level/scene of a game I am making. Decided I needed to make smaller games before trying something as large as that art game I had in mind. If you can imagine it in 2D, that is how it will look in the end but I am drawing it in this perspective to get a feeling for the scene.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:04 PM by R-R Ltd. »

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Seems to be a lack of sketching or a lack of sketches uploaded. Everyone should sketch more :P

Did a little study sketch of some hills/canyon. Been a while since I've done a quick sketch. I need to sketch more often, it's quiet messy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:42 AM by R-R Ltd. »

Offline SoCalCoasters

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I did a quick 30 min sketch yesterday.

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 04:57 AM »
Been decorating my friends guitar for her birthday, this is the back.

this is the front
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:09 PM by -vicky-13- »