Universal Studios Theme Parks News And Rumors

• 132 replies

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Studios Theme Parks News And Rumors
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 10:35 AM »
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201112/2824/

A source was kind enough to allow me a look at the plans - and they do appear spectacular. Before I get into the details, though, let me clarify a few points.

First, these are labeled "Concept," and dated last month (November 2011). There's no sign that these plans have been revised, or approved by engineers, so I am assuming that they are initial concept plans. Even though they are quite detailed, they are far from final, and anyone who's been involved in attraction development can tell you that much can change in the development process.

Second, I've seen only detailed plans for the main attraction in the new land, which appears to be set in Gringotts Bank. I've seen rough detail of the rest of the new land, though, and picked out a few details here and there.

Third, every page is stamped "Confidential," so I'm not supposed to be looking at them or telling you about them, and I'm certainly not going to tell you where I got access to them, so don't even bother asking.

So let's get to it, shall we?

The plans occupy the space between the Fear Factor Live theater and the Disaster! show building on the northwest corner of the Universal Studios Florida property - basically all the land now occupied by the Jaws attraction and surrounding Amity carnival games and shops. The northernmost section of the plot - almost half the land within it - is planned for a massive show building, which will house the Gringotts ride.

On the southeastern portion of the plot, a second attraction is designated. I can't tell from the plans what this attraction will be, but its position is consistent with the rumor of a Hogwarts Express ride connecting the two Harry Potter land, as this attraction points into the back-of-house access road that runs straight into the rear of Sindbad theater where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is expanding into in Islands of Adventure.

For pedestrians in Universal Studios Florida, there appears to be a single point of entry into the new Harry Potter land, one that requires walking around a center obstacle inside what appears to be an enclosed space. This would fit with being a "secret entrance" to Diagon Alley, from the Harry Potter books and films. There also is what appears to be labeled an 8,900-square-foot restaurant building located immediately to the left of the entrance to the land. Could this be the Leaky Cauldron?

From the entry, there is a street that proceeds straight back to the rounded entrance facade of the Gringotts building.

The Gringotts Bank exterior, from the Harry Potter films.

Diagon Alley, looking down toward Gringotts, from Pottermore.
Besides the restaurant to the left, I can't tell from the plans I saw what will occupy the other spaces in the buildings along the sides of this main street, which I presume to be Diagon Alley. There is a small, 500-square-foot "walk-through attraction" listed on a spur street to the left of the Gringotts entry, a spur that leads to the entrance to the second attraction. (Another Ollivander's? Your guess is as good as mine.)

Now let's get to that Gringotts ride.

It looks like we can expect another elaborately themed walk-through queue tour, along the lines of what we got with Hogwarts Castle in the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter. From the "Entry Hall," the queue appears to leave the building into shaded, then covered, areas before re-entering into the large "Bankers Hall." The next room in the queue is "Vault Display," then the "Reading Room." From there it's into what's labelled "Office Hallway" before we reach "Bill Weasley's Office." The next feature is labelled "Elevators," which take us up a level in order to cross over the ride tracks to access the center load island.

There are two load channels for the ride, with loading on the center island, and unloading off to the outsides. The ride vehicles are twin, 12-person, open-air cars, arranged in three rows of four. Each row is placed slightly higher than the row in front of it, in a "stadium seating" effect. The look of the cars is very Victorian, with individual lap bars and six Dolby speakers per seat for on-ride audio.

After the load platform, the two load channels merge to the south, then bearing to the left and entering Scene 1: "Turntable." In this scene, you'll face a brick wall, with two tunnel entrances, to the left and right. But before you proceed, the track below the first of the twin cars will drop from underneath that car. The track will come to rest at a 40-degree angle. Then, the track under the trailing car will begin to rise, matching the 40-degree angle of the leading car.

At that point, the two cars will drop in tandem into a third tunnel, below the tunnel on the right. Basically, we've just ridden a teeter-totter-like vertical track switch, attaching to the roller coaster track for our initial drop.

From there, we drop into Scene 2: "Dark Tunnel," a kinetic ride section with a small bunny hop and a hard right turn before we hit a block brake in preparation for Scene 3: "Ledge."

The Gringotts ride won't be a traditional roller coaster. It appears to be a hybrid roller coaster and motion-base ride, a la Spider-Man and Transformers. There are 3D projection screens throughout the ride, embedded in the rockwork of the tunnel walls, creating an illusion of open space, within which we'll watch battles taking place.

The first is in the Ledge scene, where some concept art shows a battle with wizards and giant-like creatures. The plans detail a shaker table under the track, and there's a waterfall effect at the end of the scene, including a fogscreen and water spritzers.

There's a slight free drop and turn to the left as we proceed through the waterfall, leading us into Scene 4: "Thief's Downfall." There are wind and heat effects in this scene, along with our first look at a dragon. Meanwhile, the ride's making a chicane-type turn to the left, then the right.

That leads us immediately into Scene 5: "Sirius Black's Vault." We hit a fog blast before entering the vault, where we see illuminated treasure ahead. The car makes a turn to the right, where the physical show scenery opens up a bit, with a large vault area with a flat 3D projection screen along the far wall. We then bear to the left, turning into Scene 6: "Ruins."

We're curving to the right through the rubble of what looks like a collapsed tunnel in this scene, which leads us into Scene 7: "Chasm." We're inside a large projection cone for this scene, which appears to involve Harry, Ron, Hermoine and… could it be? Voldemort? (The concept art I saw wasn't clear - it almost never is.) I do see a heat curtain and cold-air blast noted in this scene, though. (Shades of Revenge of the Mummy?)

From there, we launch into another dark tunnel (Scene 8), which banks up and around to the left, taking us into Scene 9: "Passage," our finale, where Harry and company bid us farewell before we return to the load/unload platform.

And yes, we do exit through a retail shop.

That's all I've got from these initial concept plans. They lack any information about the narrative of the ride or the imagery we'll see on those projection scenes. But the plans do detail a unique hybrid ride system that takes us through scenes that set up a potentially ambitious narrative.

So, what do you think?

Me? I can't wait to ride.

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 10:49 AM »
well that's quite a load of information.  It is certainly amazing news, but I won't get excited until everything's confirmed.  If this does get built, Universal will definitely get the jump on Disney here.
visit my professional website at http://www.shaynebock.com

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 11:43 AM »
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20 PM »
A great classic that was innovative then and still would have remained original today.  Really a shame it's gone.

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 06:01 PM »

Holy.  Shit.

For some reason I just love those "revving" sounds they added to the Scoop.  It makes things seem so much more urgent and gives the ride a little more edge.  Plus, those graphics... :drool:  I need to get to Orlando again. 

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I didn't hear the rev sounds, but man I really want to go back!
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I just finished part 1 of a 2 part review of transformers, found here:

http://www.theturnstiletribune.com/2012/04/24/transformers-the-ride-at-universal-studios-hollywood-part-i/

CAUTION: SPOILERS!

I can honestly say that the Disney v Universal battle has officially begun.

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Apparently USF is getting Transformers. Stage 44 has been demolished in a matter of weeks, and they've nearly started vertical construction. They're moving very fast.

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Apparently USF is getting Transformers. Stage 44 has been demolished in a matter of weeks, and they've nearly started vertical construction. They're moving very fast.

They have not announced transformers yet but when I went on transformer's in Hollywood on my birthday and the one thing I could say is wow!

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser...  8|

This was posted on various sites. Planned leak perhaps? Or another false lead?

EDIT: apparently it's fake, but that doesn't mean Transformers isn't still coming.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:11 PM by TMH »

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Nah, all signs point to a clone for Orlando, strange as it is seeing as Transformers is nearly identical to Spidey, especially now with Spidey's recent upgrade. 

The space is there, some sources have apparently confirmed the plans.

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Yeah, have you been watching Orlando United?

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 06:56 PM »
^Woah, that's a name I haven't heard in a while.  I had no idea they were still around, I'll have to go check them out.  I was one of their first members. ::)

But no, I've just been reading screamscape mostly.

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Haha. I just decided to start posting there again. Several years ago, I had an account, but I forget the passwowrd.

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10 PM »
HHN Update: the walking dead is coming to universal studios Hollowween Horror Nights on both coast's of Universal Studios Florda and Universal Studios Hollywood. location for hollywood is the wild west arena and in Florda the maze will go in the disaster's extended quene line. and for hollywood silent hill will be in shrek 4-D's extended quene line space.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2013, 03:44 PM »
A little bit old news, but since these boards have been reopened, I think its appropriate to post them.

"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2014, 06:41 AM »
I thought it'd be best to bump this due to a lot has been going on for the past year.

*Soundstage 28 *Phantom of the Opera stage* is meeting its demise for 'Theme Park Expansion'

*All HHN content revealed (Some shared IPS include; AVP, TWD, Etc)

*House of Horrors after HHN Hollywood will be removed to make way for Dining/Retail

*'WonderSea Island'; Universals first waterpark has gotten another Trademark titled 'Volcano Bay'

*Universal Singapore announced a Puss in Boots family suspended coaster

*Fast & Furious - SuperCharged and Springfield announced for 2015 in Universal Hollywood

So yea, sorry for the Bump but I thought those wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Over in Islands of Adventure, work is progressing nicely on the King Kong area. They've even begun to paint some of the rock work.

For a more comprehensive photo update, visit the original update from Orlando Theme Park News here.

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2015, 10:55 PM »
I've seen this in real life and the pictures don't do a good job conveying the size of this attraction. Its massive. Big enough to be its own island, if fact I bet Skull Island will be added to the list of islands at the park.

Rumor has it that it will be another 3D/4D ride with a mix of actual animatronics. I'm hoping they lean more of real animatronics for this one and less 3D as the 3D element seems to be the cheap way out these days and its getting to the point of overuse. Almost every new attraction has had the 3D element.

I want a animatronic that rivals Rexy next door.

Whilst talking about Jurassic Park, its rumored that Triceratops Encounter may finally have a purpose again. Its been whispered in some places that it could be re-themed to Velociraptor Encounter inspired by the new Jurassic World movie that contains trained Raptors. Would definitely be the most cost efficient of the rumors since they wouldn't have to change much. I'd be a fan because it wouldn't be a 3D ride. Another popular rumor was that Camp Jurassic and the old Trike Encounter would be demoed for a wooden coaster. Not really a fan of that one as I think it would really ruin that skyline the Discovery Center provides when you look at it from the other side of the lake. Truthfully I don't see it happening as Camp Jurassic is pretty popular with the kids.

Something is happening with the old Trike Encounter though, as it was tapped off with fresh caution tape when I was there a few weeks ago and it was reported rather recently that some Universal Executives were seen touring the area.

http://www.aliciastella.com/blog/2015/03/27/theme-parks-something-happening-at-the-old-triceratops-encounter-at-ioa-new-attraction-coming/

Also,

Even though this is technically old news, some of you guys might not have heard. But apparently it was discovered Universal bought a new huge chuck of land in Orlando somewhere. (Or at least it was rumored to be Universal, I can't find any recent articles on it) Possible 3rd Gate? Universal is expected to make a Billion dollars on Furious7. So if they really wanted too, there isn't a shortage of money here. They have the resources to take Disney head on.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I read some time ago, don't remember where, that there was rumored to be another massive Kong animatronic. The rumor was that the arms would've been pretty sophisticated and powerful. I agree though, 3D is pretty over used these days, and any animatronic is a plus in my book.

The rumors surrounding Jurassic Park are interesting though. With the movie coming out this summer, I'm sure they've got something planned, especially if they intend to make even more Jurassic movies. A revival of Triceratops Encounter would be amazing and I'd love to see it happen in some way or another. Its definitely possible to outdo the old one with all the advances in interactive and more life-like animatronics that have happened in recent years. There's a lot of possibilities of what they could do with it, and even more for what they could do if they decide to go an entirely different direction. I'd love to see anything new in this area, really. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite franchises, and it's got a lot of potential for a theme park setting.

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I read some time ago, don't remember where, that there was rumored to be another massive Kong animatronic. The rumor was that the arms would've been pretty sophisticated and powerful. I agree though, 3D is pretty over used these days, and any animatronic is a plus in my book.

The rumors surrounding Jurassic Park are interesting though. With the movie coming out this summer, I'm sure they've got something planned, especially if they intend to make even more Jurassic movies. A revival of Triceratops Encounter would be amazing and I'd love to see it happen in some way or another. Its definitely possible to outdo the old one with all the advances in interactive and more life-like animatronics that have happened in recent years. There's a lot of possibilities of what they could do with it, and even more for what they could do if they decide to go an entirely different direction. I'd love to see anything new in this area, really. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite franchises, and it's got a lot of potential for a theme park setting.

The Kong animatronic is real and apparently, from Teebin on OU (Very creditable). The Animatronics for the new Kong attraction would be made from the company of Creatures Technology. They were responsible for the
Puppets of Shows like, Walking with the Dinosaurs; How to Train your Dragon and surprisingly, a Broadway re-telling of the King Kong film.

The other thing is that there were Auditions for Full-sized Puppet actors which makes me more believe a Raptor M&G is on the way at Ole Trikes and there is work being Done there already so anything can happen.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30 PM »
There's been some rumors that Disney and Universal may soon have talks regarding the future of Marvel within Universal's parks, specifically Islands of Adventure.

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2015, 09:56 PM »
I just don't see it happening... With the recent renovations at Spiderman, immediately closing that section of the park would be foolish. HOWEVER, Islands of Adventure is running out of free space. Removing Marvel could lead to some interesting re themes of the land, Universal does have some interesting themes it could pull off.

Offline TheRevolution

• Welcome to the Revolution.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2015, 02:43 PM »
In recent news, there is a new restaurant coming to Citywalk Orlando: NBC Sports Grill and Brew to replace NASCAR Sports Grill.

This is your Life, are you who you want to be? 
                                                               -Switchfoot

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24 AM »
That looks so much less...republican?  Is that the word I'm looking for?

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 07:05 PM »
You'll still see a lot of Nascar there though. They just landed a contract with Nascar and apparently they even get the 4th of July race. Personally, I'm happy about this change. Mainly because I'm a fan of f1, Indy car, and hockey. Pretty much every part of the year there should be something exciting being shown on the weekends.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 10:43 PM »
As long as they show hockey I'm fine with the change.

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Oh the NASCAR Sports Grill... run up quite the bar tab there a few times. Sad to see it go, new place probably won't be much different, though.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Disaster! and Beetlejuice's Review are out...all new Fast and Furious ride are in at Universal Studios Orlando.  Disaster! closes September 8th, Beetlejuice later in the year (probably after Halloween).  They are supposedly keeping the San Francisco over-all theme on the new ride.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Disaster! and Beetlejuice's Review are out...all new Fast and Furious ride are in at Universal Studios Orlando.  Disaster! closes September 8th, Beetlejuice later in the year (probably after Halloween).  They are supposedly keeping the San Francisco over-all theme on the new ride.

This is such a shame to hear! I know that Universal hardly keep their rides/shows as sacred (see Jaws and Kongfrontation) but it's still sad to hear.