Re: The ''What did you just do in REAL LIFE?'' Thread
« Reply #960 on: July 16, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Yes.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 16, 2020, 11:07 AM »
What did I just do? Procrastinate like usual, but these summer classes have been more demanding than the other 2 summers I have had classes. Weekly essays and now 2 research/term papers. Gotta love it!

Offline loopycoasterfan

• Conceptualize our world
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 16, 2020, 01:16 PM »
What did I just do? I just finished watching enchanted (2007). Such an underrated movie.

« Reply #963 on: July 18, 2020, 12:15 PM »
I just attended my first multi person social event in a long time (because of the pandemic). Didn't really want to go (because of the pandemic), but it was a very special niece's wedding. Did what I could to stay away from most people and only took the mask off one time for a family photo. Had it off about 20 seconds. Phew. I made it through that very stressful evening. Pray we all stay well now and hope that this event doesn't become a local hot spot.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2020, 01:59 PM »
^ Funny, and sad, how we have to think about things like that now. :-\  The vaccine can't come soon enough. Although, there seems to evidence that people can get the virus more than once. If so, a vaccine probably won't do much good; like having to come up with a different flu vaccine every year.

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 02, 2020, 11:08 AM »
I just had a blast playing a pipe organ in a church just about 10 miles from the cathedral I work in!
I didn't know that such an huge instrument was there. A good large full-tracker organ, built in french baroque style, lots of fiery reeds and of course roaring Bombardes  :drool: .

Needless to say, I'll need to come back someday, equipped with some good recording machinery...

Offline loopycoasterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 02, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Just finished submitting our tickets for me and my younger cousin to be heading over to Tivoli Gardens in 2 weeks! Should be fun and interesting heading over there during a pandemic. (First time vist too)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 02, 2020, 02:16 PM »
^ @francescoaster: Lucky you! Looks like the organ has plenty of stops to have fun with. I bet those trumpet (reed) pipes sticking out the front are LOUD.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 10, 2020, 09:59 PM »
Just thought I would post a couple of pics showing the smoky conditions here in the wildfire troubled West. This is in my hometown of Eugene, Oregon; but the whole West Coast is suffering from the same affliction; California in particular. The smoky pics were taken Wednesday shortly after noon in a vacant field behind our house:

The above scene was an otherwise clear, cloudless day. The temperature was supposed to be in the low 90s but because of the smoke, it only got up to ~75 degrees. Here's the same scene from a slightly different angle on a regular day:

And here's a 3D image of the same scene:

The fire that's causing all this smoke (called the "Holiday Farm" fire) is about 10 miles to the East; so we're not in any danger here (at least, I don't think so). This started on Monday evening and the air quality has been rated "Hazardous" since then (Hazardous is worse than "Unhealthy".) You can see soot, ash, and blackened leaves falling from the sky and coating everything (including me as I took these pictures). Needless to say the air smells very acrid. Also, the city tap water tastes like smoke and ashes, because it comes from the area where the fire is burning. Normally it tastes great, coming from the snow-fed springs and streams of the McKenzie River.

They say that the wind is going to start coming from the West/Northwest beginning Friday; instead of the East, like it is now. That should start clearing the air here (and make fighting the fire easier) over the next few days. They say that the fire will probably burn till the Winter rains come.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:53 PM by JB »

« Reply #969 on: September 11, 2020, 05:36 AM »
Wow - I see the coverage, but that is crazy. Hope it stays far enough away from you. And even though the content is not that happy, love the #d version of this as well.

Offline GreenCollarDrums

• #RootedInOakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 15, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Just thought I would post a couple of pics showing the smoky conditions here in the wildfire troubled West. This is in my hometown of Eugene, Oregon; but the whole West Coast is suffering from the same affliction; California in particular. The smoky pics were taken Wednesday shortly after noon in a vacant field behind our house:

The above scene was an otherwise clear, cloudless day. The temperature was supposed to be in the low 90s but because of the smoke, it only got up to ~75 degrees. Here's the same scene from a slightly different angle on a regular day:

The fire that's causing all this smoke (called the "Holiday Farm" fire) is about 10 miles to the East; so we're not in any danger here (at least, I don't think so). This started on Monday evening and the air quality has been rated "Hazardous" since then (Hazardous is worse than "Unhealthy".) You can see soot, ash, and blackened leaves falling from the sky and coating everything (including me as I took these pictures). Needless to say the air smells very acrid. Also, the city tap water tastes like smoke and ashes, because it comes from the area where the fire is burning. Normally it tastes great, coming from the snow-fed springs and streams of the McKenzie River.

They say that the wind is going to start coming from the West/Northwest beginning Friday; instead of the East, like it is now. That should start clearing the air here (and make fighting the fire easier) over the next few days. They say that the fire will probably burn till the Winter rains come.

I'm from the SF Bay Area, and the past month has been incredibly weird.
Yes.

Offline loopycoasterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 16, 2020, 08:10 AM »

Saw this story the other day on my social media. Seeing this as a resident in the uk is truly surreal and scary! Stay safe out there.