Parkitect - Discussion & Update Thread

• 901 replies

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Parkitect - Discussion & Update Thread
« on: June 01, 2014, 03:41 AM »
I just stumbled across this game just today. It has been in the works for a couple of months. You should really check it out and read about the game for yourself. It looks really great.

The devlog for the game:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39904.0

These are a few photos from the devlog. I would really suggest checking out the rest.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:59 PM by shyguy »
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Re: 3D Theme Park Game Being Created in RCT1&2 Style
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:56 AM »
wauw this is freakin' awesome :w00t:

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Meh... Although it is really amazing someone can build something like this on his own, it's just RCT2.2

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Meh... Although it is really amazing someone can build something like this on his own, it's just RCT2.2
Yea I understand the sentiment and I may slightly agree. But the game is also at such an early stage that they have not really gotten to the point of adding new features. The game has only been in existence since April.
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Yeah, while I DO appreciate anything new to the theme park genre...doesn't it seem a bit strange to do a game that looks just like something that was done like two decades ago?

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I have zero knowledge of how game design works but I find it amazing someone has been able to single handedly recreate a commercial game in such a short time. I'll be taking a closer look at the thread...

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:04 PM »
It makes sense that the developer took this approach. This is just a fun indie project for this guy and this is something he's probably very knowledgable with. Remastering an old game with better graphics will certainly gain attention.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Edit: You beat me to it RTRC :P

Yeah, while I DO appreciate anything new to the theme park genre...doesn't it seem a bit strange to do a game that looks just like something that was done like two decades ago?

Well there are actually a lot of indie games that look like they are from decades ago. Most indie game creators are not usually artists and, with simpler graphics being easier create, simpler graphics are usually the choice.

Plus just by what he said in the first post of the devlog I don't think there is anything too serious about the game, just something they are making for fun.

Quote from: Sebioff
Last week I started working on a rollercoaster simulation, just to see how difficult it would be to implement. It went pretty well and was a lot of fun to develop, so now I'd like to continue developing it into a theme park simulation in the style of RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2

Plus since this is going to be an actual theme park game the business features could be more detailed and laid out better than RCT.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:16 PM by R-R Ltd. »

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39 PM »
I don't know, this just looks like the old games with modern graphics. Unless it's a improvement upon that like TPR is striving to be for RCT3, I'd much rather pop in RCT1 & RCT2 with all the expansion packs, CS, cheats and so-forth.
I've lost my mind, isn't that great?

Offline Wes

• Daddy, what's an update?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16 PM »
It's charming to say the least.  I would probably stick to the RCT games myself, but It's nice to see that somebody is making something similar.
The Game

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49 PM »
How the hell am I supposed to make a haunted hayride in this? :whistling:
'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

Offline Gravity

• Oh, hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Cute, but don't see a need for it.  Personally, I mean.

This is probably something I'd tinker with for an hour or two and never give it a second thought.
something something something dark side...?

Offline Yoshi

• So, I kind of fell off the wagon for a while...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18 PM »
So I suppose I'm one of the few people here that really like what I see. And really it wouldn't surprise me if this would appeal to a more mainstream audience than something like Theme Park Studio, which is very complex and people outside the intended audience probably won't want to take hours to learn the interface and follow numerous tutorials to set up simple things.
I suck. Really.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DinoYoshi133

Offline Elmer BeFuddled

• Where's me Wine Gums? Hic!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Doesn't appeal to me, but I do admire the work put in by whoever's project it is.

Hell, it's even got working rides!
I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.

Nothing is foolproof to the talented fool.

FlightToAtlantis

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 03:58 AM »
I don't know, this just looks like the old games with modern graphics. Unless it's a improvement upon that like TPR is striving to be for RCT3, I'd much rather pop in RCT1 & RCT2 with all the expansion packs, CS, cheats and so-forth.
Ditto.

Offline Metrea

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Oh look its RCT4 Mobile. but that doesn't completely suck. I commend the developer of the game and I personally wouldn't mind giving it a try. Will it get me to switch... no. But it seems like it could be a fun little time killer. 

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Will it get me to switch... no.
Get you to switch from what? They aren't trying to get anybody to switch from anything.

Offline Metrea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Get you to switch from what? They aren't trying to get anybody to switch from anything.

What I meant by switch is this. I enjoy the original RCT's and still play them regularly. When I stated to get me to switch I was referring to this piece of information, I felt was implied.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Skip to 18:00 for some in game footage.

Also this:

Offline JAKool

• #chiefbeefbelief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 02:10 PM »
I'm not too sure what I think about that. I think it does have some issues, but looks like it has potential. That Topspin model is fantastic. But he really needs to fix the coasters. I like the mechanics of it, but the track looks horrible. Hopefully he'll stumble across sites like this and implement things that people really want, diagonals, CS, etc.
My Skype: jak.oasters

Offline mrcobra92

• You just got jammed!
    • View Profile
    • RealTycoon3
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 02:16 PM »
I am less than impressed to be honest. It looks like a blunt rip-off of RCT3 with worse graphics, ugly UI (though I do like the transparent buttons), and no potential. The models look great, but that's the only real positive I see for this game.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I am less than impressed to be honest. It looks like a blunt rip-off of RCT3 with worse graphics, ugly UI (though I do like the transparent buttons), and no potential. The models look great, but that's the only real positive I see for this game.

They are very aware that the AI is not friendly at this state. Someone asked about an early access and this was their resposne. Though I am curious as to why you say that there is no potential?
Quote from: Sebiof
We're considering some sort of early access, but that's a few months off (most importantly, there is no player-friendly UI yet).

Also this is going to look like the RCT series but they have some interesting ideas for the management unlike RCT.
Question from a member: Borrego
2.Not sure if you ever played Theme Hospital, but here goes: TH had an interesting staff management system. Staff needed to rest in staff rooms, they could be trained, and they would sometimes demand wage increases if the hospital wasn't warm enough or they were forced to work for too long. This contrasts RCT 3's management, which was where you trained them to level 3 or increase their wage to stop them getting unhappy... that was it. Was wondering, how do you plan to implement staff (when you get to them) into this game, and what tactics could one use to keep them productive?

The response from: Sebiof
2. That's pretty much what we plan (still got to see if this is any fun though! If it turns out to be no fun it won't make it into the game). Definitely no RCT 3 management, we think just hitting a button to insta-train is boring. We're currently thinking shop keepers and ride operators in addition to what RCT 2 had. What happens if they get unhappy is still open - ideas are they work slower, annoy your customers (shop keepers), make rides more unsafe (ride operators). I guess mostly make sure they don't overwork and can relax in staff rooms to keep them productive.

But he really needs to fix the coasters. I like the mechanics of it, but the track looks horrible. Hopefully he'll stumble across sites like this and implement things that people really want, diagonals, CS, etc.

I was thinking similar thoughts about the track. At some points, especially corners, the track looks really odd although that's less design related and just how the track bends and works.

I actually jumped the gun for them a bit. After I shared the game here and then realized they might not have wanted me to. I asked permission and I was given it but found out they had not planned to share the game with the RCT community just yet.

We were really hesitant to share the game with RCT communities at this early stage since we don't have much to set ourself apart yet - but now it happened and it's alright, no worries! Thanks for the support!

From the sound of things the team is quiet aware that the game is not much right now. I like to think of this game as being mentored by RCT. The game may never be as great as RCT was but the game can still be fun in and of itself.

Also the game has a name now too, Theme Parkitect.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:06 PM by R-R Ltd. »

Offline mrcobra92

• You just got jammed!
    • View Profile
    • RealTycoon3
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 10:56 PM »
They are very aware that the AI is not friendly at this state. Someone asked about an early access and this was their resposne. Though I am curious as to why you say that there is no potential?
I think it has been done already. It looks and acts just like RCT, but is sort of a hybrid between RCT2 and RCT3. To me it feels just like a copy of what has already been done. Even the coaster builder is almost the same as far as track pieces. That's why I don't think it has potential.

Offline StickyGum32

• Atonal Noise Maker
    • View Profile
    • Clay Barnard | Compositions
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Should we really be holding it to the standard we hold new games in the RCT series though? Can we not just have a roller coaster simulation game that's just fun instead of ground breaking and revolutionary? That's more of what I see this as. Yeah, it's not going to be much different, but it would be a lovely change of pace, and it's certainly charming as hell (really loving the building animation with the dirt and what not when you place something like path or an exit).

I also think this is another one of those things where we have to wait and see what happens to it. Like R-R Ltd. said, it's only been a thing since April. That's not long at all, and for that amount of time, they're doing damn good work, but anything could happen in the months to come.

- StickyGum32
Take a look at my portfolio! http://www.composerclay.com

Offline mrcobra92

• You just got jammed!
    • View Profile
    • RealTycoon3
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Should we really be holding it to the standard we hold new games in the RCT series though? Can we not just have a roller coaster simulation game that's just fun instead of ground breaking and revolutionary? That's more of what I see this as. Yeah, it's not going to be much different, but it would be a lovely change of pace, and it's certainly charming as hell (really loving the building animation with the dirt and what not when you place something like path or an exit).

I also think this is another one of those things where we have to wait and see what happens to it. Like R-R Ltd. said, it's only been a thing since April. That's not long at all, and for that amount of time, they're doing damn good work, but anything could happen in the months to come.

- StickyGum32
Fair Enough.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 11:56 PM »
Yeah, it's not going to be much different, but it would be a lovely change of pace, and it's certainly charming as hell (really loving the building animation with the dirt and what not when you place something like path or an exit).
- StickyGum32
The management system has a lot of potential to be different. Especially if they go anywhere near the route of a game like Theme Hospital where workers actually get upset and do their job poorly. I could see that turning out well. Your right though, this will be a charming game with similar properties. There is only so much you can change without the game become something. Most of us should know how Thrillville tried to be different and how well that worked out. Thrillville was a not a bad game just not the success it set out to be.

Also just linking the gif of the build animation you mentioned for anyone not watching the devlog.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:18 AM by R-R Ltd. »

Offline StickyGum32

• Atonal Noise Maker
    • View Profile
    • Clay Barnard | Compositions
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43 AM »
The management system has a lot of potential to be different. Especially if they go anywhere near the route of a game like Theme Hospital where workers actually get upset and do their job poorly. I could see that turning out well.

RCT3 does this slightly, but not enough. If you look at a janitor's panel, they have a laziness (or something like that) meter, and scolding them or training them makes this go down. From what I can tell, it doesn't affect their job performance by much though. Especially if you have several janitors. (btw this happens to all staff, not just janitors, I just used them as an example). In sandbox, all staff are trained to their fullest potential, so I doubt it ever matters to any of us. :P

- StickyGum32
Take a look at my portfolio! http://www.composerclay.com

Offline RCTSpanky

• Old RCT fart :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Thanks for the link, it's worth to follow this game. Looks nice.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02 AM »
I enjoy the older style, I just hope that the gameplay can be more fine tuned and expansive. If they do it this way I'd expect at least twice the amount of features, especially considering the jump computers have made. Oh, and of course I expect copious realistic scenery options.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 09:47 PM »
While it looks like a RCT2 clone, I can see this having some potential to be a fun little game. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on its development.

p.s. Doesn't this thread belong in the Simulation Games board?  ;)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot