Project Krakatoa

• 111 replies

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
Re: Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Project Krakatoa V2 - Intamin Mega Lite
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2017, 08:33 AM »
That was a great POV. Very realistic and enjoyable  :D
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Project Krakatoa V2 - Intamin Mega Lite
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2017, 11:06 AM »
Thanks guys!

Remember that park that had an Intamin Wing Rider and a Prefab? Well, a new friend just joined (and I won't be able to call it Intamin's Park again :P). Funny thing about this B&M coaster is I dreamed the layout. It had Alpengeist's colors, but the layout is 90% straight from my dream.

So, this is an old school B&M Inverted called Uluma. It features 7 inversions and a lenght of 1100m (Will post more statistics later, I don't have access to the file right now). So, in Sri Lanka, Ulama (or the devil bird) is some kind of owl that is supposed to make terrifying human screams. It's kind like a banshee but in owl.

I'll leave you with some pictures:

So it's taking longer than what I originally planned, but there will be more things. Now the general park layout is made, so only queues and scenery is left. Hope you like it :)

P.D: everyone, download NL2Advanced flat rides! They're awesome and fully customizable :)

Offline Jake C

• Stone cold Steve, 3:16
    • View Profile
Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Ulama - B&M Inverted
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Awesome work again on the coaster, the shots of the invert from the car park are really starting to give the park some extra life! it is all starting to come a long really nicely, I especially like what you did with the station design, simple but clever. I also really like the music you used in the video, I remember hearing it for the first time when I was watching animations for maverick before it was open, reminds me of my early days of being an enthusiast aha  :P

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:42 AM by Jake C »
I live in the NoLimits board, come stop by and say hi.

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01 PM »
^ Yeah, I've watched that video a million times, and I've used that music in two videos lol. Thanks!

I started working on how the park is going to look like (and I decided this will be the third iteration of Peak Point. Hope I can get it further this time :P). I've planned 5 phases:

- Entry and Mainstreet: you'll see some pictures today, when released it will have the incredible amount of 0 rollercoasters and 2 flat rides! But I want to have a very detailed entry area, including parking lots, roads and all kind of details.

- Sri Lanka themed area: the inverted coaster.

- Western themed area: Intamin Prefab.

- Rocky Mountains themed area: Intamin Wing Rider.

- Family area: Indoor wild mouse

So let's dive into the first area:

Here you can see the backlot buildings are pretty hidden from the main paths:

You can notice a lot of inspiration from Six Flags New England layout. To be honest, making a detailed park is an incredible difficult task, so you'll probably see inspiration from parks that has google streetview in the entire park. So, the numbers are:

- Blue: park services: tickets, entry, info, express passes, lockers and first aid. I'm npt sure if I'm missing any essential park service.

- Red: these are supposed to be shops and restaurants. I'd love to have some help here: I'm really horrible with names, so please, help me with names for shops, ice cram shops, restaurants, food, anything...

- Green: rides, carrousel and paratrooper.

Another thing I need help with is textures... I currently download my textures from CG textures, but I'd like to know if there are some better/larger free collections. My god, I really miss RCT3/Planet Coaster fantastic textured, recolorable pieces when making huge amounts of scenery.

So well, that's all for today. Not really a NL2 update, but I though it was worth sharing anyway. Thanks guys, suggestions and criticism (and help!) is appreciated :)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Ulama - B&M Inverted
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2017, 07:47 PM »
What program are you using to make these models? The upper right view symbol makes me think it's and Autodesk product, though it doesn't look like Revit.. I would see if you can get a hold of the Autodesk materials library. There's a lot of variety in those textures and they have bump maps as well. You should be able to access them with a student license, maybe? Other than that, I too have trouble finding decent textures. I usually just google "xxxxx yyyyy texture seamless" and look through the list until I find something that looks right.

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2017, 11:59 PM »
What program are you using to make these models? The upper right view symbol makes me think it's and Autodesk product, though it doesn't look like Revit.. I would see if you can get a hold of the Autodesk materials library. There's a lot of variety in those textures and they have bump maps as well. You should be able to access them with a student license, maybe? Other than that, I too have trouble finding decent textures. I usually just google "xxxxx yyyyy texture seamless" and look through the list until I find something that looks right.

Pretty close! It is  an Autodesk product, 3dsMax. Tbh, I didn't think about using the material library (I've only used it one or two times when making actual renders). It could save a lot of time, specially as it also has predefined material settings. Thanks a lot :)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Yeah, the textures can be odd to work out proper scaling and such, and don't necessarily have a ton of character, but they can be tweaked easily and are best of all, seamless. Especially in 3dsMax you can layer all sorts of shaders and textures to get decent results. The strongest textures they have are for brickwork and tiles. Their concrete and asphalt textures are mabye a bit over-detailed and tough to work with, but great regardless.

And as a side note.. how easy is it to learn 3dsMax? I have learned Maya, Revit, and a thousand other modeling softwares, but don't have exposure to 3dsMax. It seems like a way easier way to model complex building things like windows and cornices and such. Revit is sometimes way too much of a pain in the arse to make details.

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Yeah, the textures can be odd to work out proper scaling and such, and don't necessarily have a ton of character, but they can be tweaked easily and are best of all, seamless. Especially in 3dsMax you can layer all sorts of shaders and textures to get decent results. The strongest textures they have are for brickwork and tiles. Their concrete and asphalt textures are mabye a bit over-detailed and tough to work with, but great regardless.

And as a side note.. how easy is it to learn 3dsMax? I have learned Maya, Revit, and a thousand other modeling softwares, but don't have exposure to 3dsMax. It seems like a way easier way to model complex building things like windows and cornices and such. Revit is sometimes way too much of a pain in the arse to make details.

If you already have experience with various 3d modelling software I'd say it shouldn't be very difficult.

Don't know if modelling that stuff will be easier though, I don't have any experience with the other software you said. It might be worth trying, though!

Edit: I don't find specially difficult scaling textures and things like that... Adding a UV Map (box) works great 90% percent of the times on non organic shapes, and it allows you to scale the textures easily. I've already used some of the textures, and they're great. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:33 PM by dapalm »

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Work continues on Project Krakatoa... I'll start working on the custom queue, station and buildings soon, but I wanted to use as much ingame scenery as possible for the railings and things like that. Here's what I have so far:

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
Re: Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Project Krakatoa - 25/04
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Outstanding pictures, I really appreciate your work with Blender and all those models. You take the game into a new level (and as well the virtual park creation). Your videos and screen shots are the best virtual looking theme park/rollercoaster shots I´ve ever seen (as well compared with all other games out there - RCT series, Planet Coaster etc.).

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dapalm's Stuff - Project Krakatoa - 25/04
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2017, 11:09 AM »
^ Thanks! It means a lot coming from the guy who makes some of the best (if not the best) projects in RCT3 and PC :)

Third launch is almost finished, and the volcano has finally reached its top height! (Although I have yet to make the entire back part)

Offline Slurpee_Man

• Mysterous...
    • View Profile
Re: Project Krakatoa
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52 PM »
That is SWEET man.
Ride roller coasters! I command you!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2017, 05:51 PM »
This is such great stuff. I wish we could get more people to view these boards.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I wasn't sure how well that volcano idea you had would turn out, but I'm really impressed with how you've pulled it off! Love the rocky trench area for the launch too, would make for such an awesome sensation of speed.

Offline Ride_Op

• NL2 Developer
    • View Profile
    • NoLimits Official Site
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2017, 09:59 AM »
This is such great stuff. I wish we could get more people to view these boards.

Preaching to the choir!  NL2 is viewed as just a coaster simulator when in reality it's so powerful and open to customization that those with some technical skill have an amazing canvass to paint on. 

-Ride_Op

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Thanks guys!

I wasn't sure how well that volcano idea you had would turn out, but I'm really impressed with how you've pulled it off! Love the rocky trench area for the launch too, would make for such an awesome sensation of speed.

It still needs some work, but I'm happy with how it's turning out. It would be way easier if there wasn't a coaster, but here I need clearance for the coaster track. Thanks Jake!

Well, I have finished the queue! I'm very happy with the result. My goal with this project was using as less custom scenery objects as possible, and so far I've only used 4 (ramps going up to the station, the flags, the lava walls and the screens for the preshow). I think this demostrates how far you can take NL2 even if you don't know how to model! So, the queue... Let's take a look:

We start on the exterior, going around a tropical garden:

Then we enter in a cave, where you would spend most of your time (the lava walls have a scroll down effect):

And then the preshow. My idea for this ride is a volcano tour. While you're doing the tour (queue) an unexpected eruption occurs (preshow), so you have to board the vehicles to run away from it. So, my idea for the preshow is very simple: You see the screens says low risk eruption. I want them to change (Letters changing from blue to red and saying high risk), although I have no idea about scripting. Then an alarm would sound, and you would have those small fireballs seen in the second picture:

And finally you get to the station and get launched (with some more explosions, because explosions are cool)

And that's all for now. I'd say the project is 75% finished. Only parts left are the back side of the volcano, the exit and a few custom buildings. Hope you like it :)

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2017, 08:30 PM »
I really like those queue line effects! some really cool ideas really play into the story behind the ride. Cant imagine how long its taking to place everything though :P

Offline RCT D!

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41 PM »
The layatronic gloom screens are fantastic. I love them. You really get the volcano atmosphere when you look at those poctures. Really great work!

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Thank you guys!

Work continues in the Volcano and now we have the amazing amount of 5094 rocks in the park! Still need to make the back (I won't leave it with an open face ala Universal :p), but I'm finally happy with the shape!

Also, I've began working on the mainstreet... Still need some more detailing and better signs, but it's a start:

The mainstreet is aligned with the Volcano and it gives you a pretty impressive view as you enter the area:

Also I have this flat ride here, which I haven't shown a lot (and I'll remember you again to download NL2A flat rides!)

This is one my favorites perspectives of this ride

Also, before someone asks about the performance. I ran the benchmarking test and from the start of the ride to the end I got an average of 33fps. It isn't a lot, but I think it's more than enough to give a walk around the park and ride the coaster. I don't care about the performance a lot to be honest, I prefer aesthetic over fps.

And that's all for now, thanks for watching!

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2017, 05:32 AM »
So here is another zone. The paths surrounding the coaster will look more or less like this, full of trees and shrubs. Also, there will be 4 flat rides in the area.

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2017, 02:41 PM »
So, I added some ambient music thanks to Best Dani's music sphere script, and recorded a video that gives an insight of the atmosphere of the area:

Offline RCT D!

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2017, 06:10 PM »
You really nailed the beautiful atmosphere of the area with that video. It looks so realistic, totally amazing. Especially the begetation is very lush and the plants look wonderful and idyllic. I cannot get enough from your NL2 creations. Continue that great work, you can only amaze us with your stuff.