NL2 tips, tricks and tutorials

• 9 replies

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
NL2 tips, tricks and tutorials
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:30 AM »
As a lot of people is starting to play the game, and we all know it's a bit hard at the beginning, I thought to make this thread. I don't think I have to explain it. I'll start:

- Want to make some paths and don't know/want to use a 3d modelling program? Well, there is an easy solution for that: use the paint layer feature on terrain tab. Search google for a tileable texture of your liking, make a new layer and paint it. Use vegetation (or rocks or something) to cover the zones where it blends with other textures. It looks perfect from walk view.

- Using supports to build things. You can make your buildings, railings... with supports. Take a look at the new wing rider park that comes with the game now (the one that isn't Keymaster, can't remember the name now) to see how to use it correctly.

- Environment: some touches to the environment makes wonders. Change the ambient colour to something near black to get better shadows. Disable the dynamic sky and use your own skybox. You can get nice sky textures for free at
CGSkies. And for getting it ready for skybox use I have a program called CubeTheSphere. Just open your picture and click on extract all. Keep in mind this method doesn't support day/nighy cycle. But it looks way better.

So this is all for now. Please post your own tips here too.

And now some great tutorials made by other people out there. Let's start with TheCodeMaster tutorials:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:43 AM by dapalm »

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: NL2 tips, tricks and tutorials
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:32 AM »
And Turbo tutorials.

Full Tutorial Part 1: Beginner by Turbo

0:00 NL2 and Editor introduction
8:40 Track Building
21:30 Style Separators
23:30 Simple Terraforming
26:57 Simple Custom Supporting
42:50 Detailed Custom Supporting
57:45 Test Ride

Full Tutorial Part 2: Details By Turbo

0:00 Video Goals
1:25 Top Down Straight Sections
2:08 Track Triggers
3:17 Transfer And Storage Sections
15:42 4th Dimension Spin Controlling
18:49 Changing Rides In Sim
18:54 Plague Test Ride
19:35 Sim Control Box
19:42 Crow Test Ride
21:24 Changing Car Colors On Trains
23:41 Editing Terrain (Painting)
28:11 Making The Path
32:52 Adding Custom Scenery
43:35 Adding Trees And Shrubs
49:18 How To Make Custom Benches
49:56 More Scenery Additions
54:02 How To Make Custom Handrails
55:23 Changing Environment (time, weather, etc.)
56:11 Park Final View
56:19 Walk Mode ("Q" In Sim)
57:02 Outro

Full Tutorial Part 3: Complex Elements And Support Scenery by Turbo

0:00 Video Intro
0:17 Loop Creation
3:20 In-Game Smoother Demonstration
11:27 Corkscrew Creation
15:05 The Power Of In-Game Smoother
23:30 Spline Selection
25:02 Heartline Roll Creation
27:08 Make Sure You Have The Right Ride Style
28:36 Cobra Roll Creation
34:09 Support Scenery Creation
34:20 My Personal Snap Preference For Support Creation
34:51 Queue (waiting line) handrail Creation
36:05 NODE PLACEMENT BUG
37:15 Copy And Paste
38:38 Decent Looking Fence Creation
44:09 Things You Can Do With What You've Learned Here

Once you learn this, you can make anything with the program. I want to thank both Turbo and TheCodeMaster for taking the time to make this tutorials. They are some of the best I've found, and they are a lot of help for someone new to this program.     
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:38 AM by dapalm »

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:42 AM »
FVD++ Tutorials

If you're like me and hate working with splines FVD++ may be your best alternative. However, the learning curve is even steeper.

All videos by L Bosch. Program can be downloaded here:

http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2646&page=1

Also, don't forget to take a look at the documentation provided with FVD. As I said, FVD learning curve is even steeper than NL2. An easier FVD tool is Newton2, since you don't have to mess with the roll per second thing. As someone who started on this with Newton (there wasn't FVD at that time), I can say that your skills will transfer from Newton to FVD easily, but I would recommend to start with FVD.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:49 AM by dapalm »

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45 AM »
Some more tips:

- Ever wondered which maximum forces should you use on your new coaster? Well, BBSpeed 26 made this great article using professional engineering standards:

http://nolimits-exchange.com/news/g-force-lesson/35

Keep in mind that this numbers shouldn't be followed closely. I mean, making a B&M and an Intamin isn't the same thing, and if you are going for a realistic approach forces are quite different. While Intamin often pulls 4-5G's, have lots of sustained G's (Intimidator 305 first turn, for example. That's 3,5-4G's sustained for 3 seconds or so) and rides full of lateral forces, B&M (at least newer designs) is very conservative. Maximum of 4G's, almost no laterals... If you are going for an old school B&M this numbers are higher (Batman the ride pulls 4,9Gs on one of the loops).

- Did you buy a standard or professional license and now want a Steam version? No problem, email NL team at nolimits@nolimitscoaster.com and they will give you one.

- Tip by mcrc.2305

Image by SkyArrow.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:03 AM by dapalm »

Offline Cotda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Topic Stickied! This is a great resource, that many will find very useful!

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Thanks Cotda!

Well, let's take a look at the availible flat rides for NL2:

- First, MGRides:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/magu-s-flatride-madness-omg-t33027.html

About ten different flats (recolorable), some CS objects, some custom trains and a monorail! Perfect to enhance your park!

And I'm going to explain how to use the monorail, since it's difficult if it's the first time using custom trains and rails:

- Create the path for your monorail. Create a new coaster, and draw your track.
- Create the rails. Go to the advanced tab, light pattern creator. Click on open, and load "monorailtrack.altpac". Click on generate, and choose your park directory. Go to the scenery tab, choose the object you just created and place it. Go to object properties and set it's position to 0 in all axes.
- The trains. If you want to have ten cars, set your coaster to ten cars. Then place the monorail cars (scenery) near to the train (car 1-monorail 1, car 2 - monorail 2 and so on).
- Click on hide wireframe and don't freeze the coaster.

And you have a working monorail! But you don't have supports. If you want supports, duplicate your coaster. Set all track to invisible, and in coaster properties check ´remove from track". Then put your supports, and freeze this coaster.

You can also check Projektion flat rides. Not as many flats as MGrides, but they are great models:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/projektions-flat-thrill-rides-t34101.html

Offline Coaster Designs

• RCT3 & NL2 Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Hey,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll ask it anyway  :P
Do you guys know how to change the logo on the train? I can't find any help on the internet  :down:

Thanks in advance!
- Coaster Designs

Offline Tijjer

• The shed is verbolten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I'd love to see more tips and tricks on making better coasters using b-splines!  Anyways heres some

1. Less vertices and roll points is better! 
2. Always use 1/2 for turns
3. NEVER be afraid to change vertices weights

Offline dapalm

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:46 AM »
^ Nice tips!

We all know that coasters look better when they have some scenery in their surroundings... Problem is not everybody wants/knows how to use a 3d modelling program. But thankfully, there are some things you can do to spice your coaster a bit:

- Download (and use  :D) every CSO set out there. Some of the best are nSeven Trees, TheCodeMaster rocks, ByeTom paths...

- Download SketchUp and search its warehouse. You may find a lot of models ready to use!

Those simple things will get your projects to the next level:)

Offline Tijjer

• The shed is verbolten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:30 PM »
So also wondering but does anyone have any tips when working with g-forces?  For example every time I try to make a cobra roll it ends up with the g-force going to 5.0 (my best with shaping got a g-force of 4.0-4.05ish for about maybe 3 seconds?).   Also I would love to learn how to use fvd++ or Newton 2 but I can't stand how monotone the speakers are or how Newton 2's tutorial narrator expects you know everything before hand so would anyone mind helping me learn any of those two programs?  Thanks!