Forum Tips and Help

• 21 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Forum Tips and Help
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:25 PM »
I've created this thread to be a place to offer some tips about these forums as well as a place for members to ask questions if they are uncertain about how to do something or how a certain feature works.

Tip #1
Many members may not know that there is a dark-themed version of SGW. If the default theme is too bright or is hard on your eyes, you may want to try using the dark theme.

To change themes, click on the "Profile" tab on the top menu to bring up your profile page. Hover the mouse over the "Modify Profile" tab and a drop-down box will open. Click on "Look and Layout". At the top left, it will say "Current Theme:". Across from that, it will say "Forum or Board Default (change)". Clicking on "change" will take you to a page that lists the themes..."Forum or Board Default", "SGW Default Theme," and "SGW Dark Theme." The first 2 themes are identical. This simply means that the Forum default theme is the SGW Default theme. If you want to change to the Dark Theme, then click on "Use this theme." Or you can simply preview the theme by clicking on "Preview theme." Once you've changed themes, you can switch back any time, by simply following the same steps listed above.

*And on a side note, the Shoutbox has been fixed so it now matches the dark theme's color scheme.

I'll have more tips coming soon. If you have a question about how to do something, feel free to post here. Or if you have your own tip that you think will be useful to the community, feel free to post it here as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:54 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Tips and Help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Great idea for a thread! :up: Even though I've been here for a couple of years, there are still features I don't know how to use. I know how to add a standard link like this:

http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,5150.0.html

But I see people adding links that don't show the code, only a word or phrase like "Here"  How does that work?

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Great idea for a thread! :up: Even though I've been here for a couple of years, there are still features I don't know how to use. I know how to add a standard link like this:

But I see people adding links that don't show the code, only a word or phrase like "Here"  How does that work?

It's called a hyperlink. When you make a post click on the picture with the earth with a white sheet in front of it like this Picture

It will have a pair of tags. Place the URL inbetween the tags, then place a "]" after the URL (without quotes) and then select the word you want. For example, I used the word "picture" in the link above.

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Haha you don't even need a picture. All you have to do is quote my message and you can see the code. ;)

Here is the code without the tags of course.

"http://gyazo.com/682d0f404b835483919a61860157f6f3]Picture"

here
 Thanks RTRC, but I still got it wrong. Could you post a picture of the way way the code looks when done correctly? :-[
Quote my message and you can see what I did different.

Ah, actually I noticed something. When you click preview or post the website automatically inserts a "]" and then reposts the url after.
For example here is the code. (without the tags)
"http://shyguysworld.com/"

This is the code after you preview/post

"http://shyguysworld.com/]http://shyguysworld.com/"

So what you want to do is click the hyperlink button, put the link inbetween the tags, press preview, then delete the url after the "]" and replace it with the word you want.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 02:39 PM »
For Elizabeth...

Tip #2
Creating a Hyperlink using Hypertext and code.

Hypertext is a word or words that when clicked on, will take you to another page. It may be a page from this site, or a page on another website. Hypertext is made up of an url that begins with http:// or https://. These forums will automatically create a hyperlink when an url is typed into the post.

To take Elizabeth's url as an example...

When the url is typed or pasted into a thread, as seen above, it will look like this...

The forum engine automatically changes the color and makes it clickable. But you don't have to show the entire url in your post. You can substitute the long url with a single word or a short phrase.

Once you have typed or pasted the url into your post, you will have to edit it, as seen in the above pic. This tells the forum engine to simply show the word "HERE" instead of the entire url.

This is now how it looks...

HERE

But there's even more you can do. Let's say you want to create a sentence saying "Click HERE to view the page, with "HERE" being your hyperlink. You would edit your post like this...

Now it looks this this...

Click HERE to view the page.

Now, if you want want your hyperlink to really stand out. There's more you can do.

First, highlight the word "HERE" and then click the "B" to make it bold, the "u" to underline it, and change the color by choosing one of the colors from the drop-down menu.

Your code will now look as it does above. (I chose the color teal)

And this is how it will look in your post...

Click HERE to view the page.

And that's how it's done. If you need clarification of any of the steps, let me know.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:14 PM by shyguy »

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:05 PM »
How do you embed a video?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Tip #3
How to embed a YouTube video.

We have a new video embedding mod. You simply right click on the video while you are on the YouTube page and a drop-down menu will open. Click on "Get video URL". Copy and then paste it into your post.

It's that simple.

Note...You do not need to remove the "s" from the https, as you had to in the past. Also, the preview function will NOT show the video embedded in the post. But when you save your post, it will show up correctly.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:48 PM by shyguy »

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Let's try:

HERE

Omg, thanks shyguy! Your step by step tutorial with pictures was perfect.  :up: :) :up:

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11 PM »
/\ You're very welcome.  :)

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Wait a minute, that's the new RCT?

It looks like cancer.
I've lost my mind, isn't that great?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Wait a minute, that's the new RCT?

It looks like cancer.
I probably shouldn't have used this video as an example. Please reserve any comments for the RCT World Board. http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/board,120.0.html, and keep this thread on topic.

Offline Tornado96

• Fire is the element of Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 05:21 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but it seems closest to what I'm looking for. Let me know if it isn't the right place.

It seems recently in the last week or so the reply box has undergone changes (i.e. changes to font, colourr etc. actually appear in the reply box instead of as code). Ever since these changes, random stuff seems to happen when I post that didn't happen before. I would make a title a different size and centre it. Then when I post it, the title is now on the left instead of centred. Then when I try to fix it, the rest of my post becomes a different size instead of fixing what I was trying to fix.

Is this an issue anyone else is having? It seemed to work a lot better when I could see the code as I knew exactly what was going on. But seeing the actual outcome, instead of the code, means I can't figure out what the issue is when I try to fix it.   :confused:

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Go to your Profile page, and then Modify Profile > Look and Layout. You'll want to unselect all the options for the WYSIWYG editor.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but it seems closest to what I'm looking for. Let me know if it isn't the right place.

It seems recently in the last week or so the reply box has undergone changes (i.e. changes to font, colourr etc. actually appear in the reply box instead of as code). Ever since these changes, random stuff seems to happen when I post that didn't happen before. I would make a title a different size and centre it. Then when I post it, the title is now on the left instead of centred. Then when I try to fix it, the rest of my post becomes a different size instead of fixing what I was trying to fix.

Is this an issue anyone else is having? It seemed to work a lot better when I could see the code as I knew exactly what was going on. But seeing the actual outcome, instead of the code, means I can't figure out what the issue is when I try to fix it.   :confused:
What CoastersPaul said.
Or, you can simply turn off WYSISYG by clicking on the icon of the little blue arrow inside red brackets. It's the last Icon in the second row, right above the smilies.

Offline Tornado96

• Fire is the element of Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 03:35 AM »
Thanks heaps for the reply guys! Works like a charm!  :up:

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I posted the parkitect tutorial thread and panicked.
How do you embed a video?
Now I need to know, how do you not embed a video?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 05:48 PM »
You can just paste the page url.

Offline CoasterPug

• Just a coaster-lovin' pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 07:56 AM »
How do I post an image? I'm totally new to this and want to post some screenshots, but when I click "add image" it appears to be asking for a URL and all of my images are on disk.

Offline Cyrbuzz

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 03:01 AM »
What happened to the Parkitect Forum page?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55 AM »
It's been moved to the "Other Games Forum" board.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 08:25 PM »
The best is when you go under "Who's Online," I catch the lurkers  :n00b: