Garden Tour 2015 - Interest? Ideas?

• 27 replies

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
Garden Tour 2015 - Interest? Ideas?
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:28 PM »
It is fast-becoming May and that means we're in Garden Tour territory. I really enjoyed hosting this comp last year and it ended up being one of my favorite things this site has done in a long time! I want to bring it back, however not fully in the form we started.

In short, for me it was a LOT of work to put this together and the end result didn't entirely match the frantic planning (like the good neighbor score) and RCT3 restrictions still keep me from having the single-park botanical garden of my dreams. So with that in mind, I raise this question out to you potential competitors:

What kind of garden tour do you want to see?
Should there be space limits / size requirements?
Should there be a planning phase like last year - where you had to collaborate with other competitors?
Should the garden tour be more park-centric - design for theme parks?
Should there be a team design option?

I'm thinking of eliminating the 'single garden' approach and offering you the chance to design gardens in existing parks, as part of existing projects, as an entirely new project - with a similar set of criteria from last year. So in a sense, this would be an Internet-ional tour.

I think by opening up where these gardens can go, we could see even more unique designs and applications.

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
Re: Garden Tour 2015 - Interest? Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:17 PM »
I'd be interested.  I completely missed this competition last year.

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Yes, I would love to see another Garden Tour competition. Would I participate, not sure. I don't know if my pc would handle it, but I can always try (I guess).

For the questions:
- Just like last year, but I think the idea of making one entire park of it, would make it too time consuming.
- I think there should be some size requirements, but every garden should be as big as the others, no one gets a bigger or smaller garden.
- No. Like I said, I think that would take too much time. And as far as I remember, some didn't pay attention to it last year...
- That could work. Maybe they should make a Hub or something. Like the center of the park garden. Similar like the ones disney has, but with it one style. You could make a lists of real or fictive parks with a special theme or a special demand for something. To make it more competitive, you could be the park and ask for a park. The creator of the best park, wins. Be creative in that part. But the idea sounds good.
- No. Just no.

Like I said, I would love to see another competition, but if would enter? Not sure ;)

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Gardens are not my thing, so unfortunately I will have to decline on the possibility of entering.

However with the success of last year's competition, I think it would be cool to see another Garden competition.
'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

Offline Liam.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Last years was fun, and didn't take a chunk of time. I'd be open to participating again. :)

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03 PM »
I might be up for participating, as well.

What about a seasonal garden? A fall garden? Use lots of mums and deciduous trees in all their fall glory? Or even some that have lost their leaves completely? Bales of hay and pumpkins? Mmmm...that's be nice to see.

I was blown away by my trip to the Dallas Arboretum in November last year. It was gorgeous, even though things clearly weren't in bloom. I think that could be a really neat twist.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Certainly open to doing this again! I really like the idea of using an existing park, you could dream up the idea of an international expo or convention at your park or something in that vein. Then you get the whole 'good neighbor' score already built in to what you've got existing in your park. What kept people interested was the fairly minimal time investment and getting kudos for working on your park as you normally would anyways is always a plus.

Offline Pat

• It's Captain Professor Pat the Pirate for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Perhaps the parks should have a theme. Like themeparks...

Offline MyGirlPepper

• Not your average 'Player'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55 AM »
I have been away from the game for awhile , but I might be drawn back for this . I had a great time last year participating.

Done.

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 09:37 AM »
The crocuses are emerging! So cute. Awesome - so it seems we've got some general interest then.

The question I've been mulling - was there anything about last year's garden tour that didn't work for you? I'm trying to think of anything that was 'broken' and if I should reinvent the wheel...if the wheel isn't working. If it did work (and I think a lot of it did), then I probably shouldn't mess with success.

How important was the money prize btw?

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Money prize isn't a deal breaker for me. Super nice incentive, but I'd feel bad about taking your money, even if I totally earned it.

Offline Remnantboy

• i am awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29 AM »
I'm totally interested in this :)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Money did make me want to strive for a really great entry, as opposed to just a pretty good one, especially being near the top of the list. Though it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

The one thing that didn't work for me was maybe that the point scaling was maybe a little rough around the edges. Why is it that only x people can get credit for a water feature and what not? I thought that was a little strange in its execution though I like the idea of a great special feature being worth bonus. I just think that there's maybe a better way to implement it.

Offline TheDarkStar

• Whoah dude...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I'd participate. I've learned a bit more since the last one. Mainly in design. And to not go mental with space and trying to fill it all lol

Offline MyGirlPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 08:57 AM »
I liked the way it worked last year , The money was also a great incentive , but not a deal breaker . Money always makes it more interesting.
I like the judging point from last year . Benches and views were very important and some people forgot about that and payed for it.
I would kind of like to see everyone have the same challenge ,
example : In a 25x25 area , make a garden with an entrance on 3 walls , use the forth wall as your 'focus' wall , must have some sort of structure w/ interior , Judged on paths , Flower beds , benches , features , etc. 
I don't think that the part last year where you had to transition to the other participants gardens worked too well or was important .
It was fun to try to work with others to make some way of a good transition . But that seemed to fail.
Either way - This was one of the best contests I had ever done and will do it again.
Oh I forgot - The variety of gardens  last year was pretty cool as well - eg: Wooded , Formal , Asian , freelance , so each garden did have its own personality.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:00 AM by MyGirlPepper »

Offline Cartus

• Wealth is in diversity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 03:04 PM »
I'm seriously considering to participate this year. It was really great to follow this last year.

Offline develeigh

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Message to N7... Did the Garden Competition 2016 ever happen?  Or is anyone considering a Garden Competition in 2016?

Offline Dell1862

• Aspiring Park Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Only thing I didn't like last year was having to make you garden work with a competitors.  It just kinda made it really difficult to plan anything out and since I was limited by what they would do I kinda lost interest.

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Must include a petting zoo.  That's the only criteria I demand otherwise I will have no interest.

FlightToAtlantis

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Here it is January and there’s already interest in a 2016 contest.  This is great!

….. In a 25x25 area , make a garden with an entrance on 3 walls , use the forth wall as your 'focus' wall , must have some sort of structure w/ interior , Judged on paths , Flower beds , benches , features , etc. 
…..

Looks a bit like you’ve already begun planning your entry for this year?  Structure with interior … would that be so we could see how great the garden works from indoors?

…..
I don't think that the part last year where you had to transition to the other participants gardens worked too well or was important ……

I recall some of the judges’ comments about ‘that’ structure in Garden A didn’t integrate well visually when viewed from ’this’ part of Garden B.  I can imagine how the contestant who built the structure felt about that comment.

I agree that this transitioning should not be required, as did some of the contestants who did not even consider this a necessity.  I remember a few of the entrants had to alter their already submitted garden to suit the later submissions that did not concern themselves about the need for this transition.  As far as I was concerned because transition was required in the rules, the submissions that didn't bother with transitions should have been disqualified because by not following the entry rules they had already excluded themselves from winning.

…..
Oh I forgot - The variety of gardens  last year was pretty cool as well - eg: Wooded , Formal , Asian , freelance , so each garden did have its own personality.

The variety was indeed refreshing to see and in view of this I don't think every entry should include a petting zoo.

This year each garden should stand on its own and I could suggest that each garden be enclosed in some sort of structure but that would require designing and building a huge structure and then ensuring the garden’s integration with the structure - a lot of time and work.

I would further suggest that the garden should integrate well with the theme park that should be included with it.  The only drawback to this suggestion is it takes a very long time to plan and build an excellent garden.  To additionally plan and build a theme park around such a garden would take even longer.  Many of us just don’t have that sort of time any more and by the time such entries were completed it would be 2017.

Perhaps the only transition required should be that the park sits well on the park map and look good with the background or the skybox chosen.

Offline tayspru

• Bitches beware xox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54 AM »
It would be cool to see a monorail or something to tour through the gardens, so everyone has to build a station and fit in whatever section of track / terrain they are given? I.e. every downloads the same map with the full monorail track and terrain, with their "segment" defined by some kind of walls? Would unify the gardens and the walls could be used to show everyone their entrances and exits?

- Tayler

FlightToAtlantis

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 12:16 PM »
It would be cool to see a monorail or something to tour through the gardens, so everyone has to build a station and fit in whatever section of track / terrain they are given? I.e. every downloads the same map with the full monorail track and terrain, with their "segment" defined by some kind of walls? Would unify the gardens and the walls could be used to show everyone their entrances and exits?

These are excellent ideas.

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:01 PM »
It's exciting to see that people are talking about a Garden Tour for 2016! How about including a small garden category, for those of us with less-than-awesome computers? :)

Offline MyGirlPepper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I like the idea of using a monorail or tourboat to transition from garden to garden for a final video.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 06:12 PM »
Maybe something disney. Ex. EPCOT flower and garden festival

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 05:11 AM »
I missed the tour last year as well, but kept a close eye out on the whole competition.  I may consider joining this year.  Would any unreleased or our own custom scenery be allowed?

FlightToAtlantis

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 11:48 AM »
I’m sure unreleased and own scenery is allowed if last year is anything to go by.  The sets will get zipped and passed along with the park to the judges for evaluation.  If I remember correctly n7, with members’ permission, generously included a few unreleased sets in a special pack he offered during the contest.

Offline Chromin

• I mostly just lurk nowadays
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 03:45 PM »
I'd be interested in one later this year, if I have the time.
Nothing to see here