Kirkmen Island 1974- Six Flags American Adventure?!

• 52 replies

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Join the Fun! Kirkmen Island
Kirkmen Island 1974- Six Flags American Adventure?!
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

I got this in the mail today and I think my family and I might check this park out.

I guess they did a mass mailing in Baltimore, MD. I remember going to the Kirkmen Family boardwalk as a child but it was not nearly as developed. I remember it was more of a typical beach boardwalk with a few rides.  Looks like they have some pretty nice rides and a pricey hotel.  Unlimited rides for one price seems enticing for me and my family of four but that hotel might be out of our price range.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:01 PM by blk_mamba »

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
Re: 1966 Kirkmen Island
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 07:02 AM »
ooo, looks interesting! Like the use of no-CSO. It looks like RCT3 vanilla rather than some of the other non-CSO parks which still try to compete with CSO parks. It's great seeing a park that looks like RCT3!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Kirkmen Island-The Jones' Family 1st Trip Report
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Trip Report- the Jones 

After getting one of the mailers about Kirkmen Island and their new pricing structure I wanted to take advantage of the deal because I have a family of five!

When we got to the park it was certainly packed! The park has a boardwalk feel to it but not nearly as developed as the Ocean City Maryland boardwalk

The first ride we got on was the Observation Tower. My littlest one has been talking about that tower since he saw the flyer. It gave us great views of the park, the beach, the new hotel and most importantly White Lightening

We made our way to the end of the boardwalk and there it was in all its glory, White Lightening! The line was long but it was worth the wait! It was a very intense twister wooden coaster. I felt like I could not tell if I was coming or going after I got off the ride!

After riding White Lightening we took it pretty easy for the rest of the day and spent the rest of our time at the aquarium.

Overall it was a great day! The Jones family will be back!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:44 PM by ferk60 »

Offline blackrider5

• How do you know what you don't know?
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Kirkmen Island- The Jones' Family (1st Trip Report)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:55 AM »
Even though it's not the most beautiful park, I really liked the trip report which I thought was really light hearted to read.  White Lightening also looks like fun and the compact layout is exciting.

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Kirkmen Island- The Jones' Family (1st Trip Report)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I liked the the trip report! Looking forward to the next update. :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
1967 Kirkmen Island- 'Shute the breeze
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

My name is Fred and I am in charge of operations at the park. The off season has brought some great additions and improvements to Kirkmen Island.

Our newest attraction, Shute the Breeze hoist riders over 15 stories in the air before drop them giving the feeling that they are parachuting to the ground. This is sure to be a ride that the whole family will love!

Also new this year are Canoes on the beach front so people can paddle around the beach and get a view of the park from the water as well as a good upper body cardio work out.

At Kirkmen Island we like to think that we take our guest concern very seriously and one issue we noticed from our park goers was they would complain that they were hungry and thirsty despite having two places where our guest could eat drink and shop.

We heard the complaints and listened!

New for 67' two new places to eat drink and shop!
The first one is our first sit down restaurant at Kirkmen Island, Tasty Burger, a great place to beat the heat, sit down and eat.  Tasty Burger has delicious burgers, fries and handspun milkshakes in 10 flavors!

Also we have added another grab & go place to eat, Under the boardwalk, for those guest that want to grab a snack and get back to getting on rides.

Finally our top attraction White Lightning had some major upgrades, for starters we dropped the N so read Lightning, not LightENing. Is it by far the most popular thrill ride in the park. It always runs full trains and has a packed queue.

White Lightning is a coaster that we purchased used from another park that close down so the coaster was broken down and shipped to Kirkmen Island.

We want to make sure that White Lightning is safe and sturdy for years to come. Also Some people were concerned that the coaster swayed way to much so we added more supports, did some re-tracking and gave the coaster a new paint job.

Personally I think that the ride is more fun at night but day or night it is a thrilling roller coaster!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:34 PM by blk_mamba »

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Kirkmen Island- 'Shute the Breeze
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Great update! I love White Lightning. Every park can use an awesome wooden coaster, and this one looks so sturdy. Good idea adding the food stands as well. :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Kirkmen Island-STALLION!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Fred again, When the Kirkmen family decided to make a commitment to an amusement park it was a gamble, and that gamble so far has paid off! In 1968 Kirkmen Island is seeing its biggest transformation ever with its largest capital improvements ever of close to $1,000,000!  :o Lets get into the details!

First we have revamped the entrance!

With that flow of people coming to the park the old entrance was not cutting it. It led to long lines of people trying to get into the park, tt was inefficient and minimalist at best!

For 1968 Kirkmen Island has a new entrance plaza that can handle the large summer crowds from Baltimore, DC and other surrounding areas with ease so guest can get straight to having fun at the park!

Guest Love taking pictures in front of our new modern entrance plaza!

The park also added its first Midway with THREE NEW RIDES for 1968!

The first is STALLION, Kirkmen Island's SECOND major roller coaster! Stallion is an "Out and Back" wooden coaster that dominates the midway, designed and built by the well respected Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc., A leader in world class attractions!

It also has an intense pretzel twist that is sure to leave guest disoriented.

There is also the Stables Gift Shop where there are tons things to buy, this customer looks like she is interested in a  Stallion hat.

Guest love the intimating Stallion Statue and it makes a great photo op!

Stallion is the crown jewel of the new midway but we also added two other rides

First Big Wheel, which can hold over 100 people at a time!

Also new this year Kaos, a ride that will spin you senseless!

With all that, there looks like there is still more in the works.....
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Kirkmen Island-STALLION!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:49 PM »
The new entrance is a great improvement! Much better traffic flow for the guests. Nice choices for the new attractions, especially Stallion. :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Dear Mom and Dad,

I am having a great time at camp. I am making new friends and new memories. Today we went to Kirkmen Island and I hardly recognized the place! Their new Midway was so awesome! I took some pictures!The first ride up was "Other Side of the Moon", the parks first dark ride . It was scary and exciting at the same time.

The ride is themed around someone's response to America going to the Moon and placing the flag on THEIR planet. The ride is full of surprises.

We also rode this really tall roller coaster, Stallion. Even though it was tall and fast my favorite part was towards the end where it bunny hops under the station. I definitely watched my head!

We stayed at the park until it got dark. Here is picture of me in front of the Shipwreck ride on the boardwalk. They have great places to take photos.

A "friend" won me a foam finger at the ring toss game, it took him 3 tries but he was determined.

We ended the night at the final new major addition to the Midway, The Midway Diner. They serve typical diner food, nothing spectacular but after a long day in the park a nice meal in an air conditioned building was great!

Over all it was a good time. Kirkmen Island was a blast. I'll keep writing, and taking my vitamins and eating my vegetables.

XOXO Love,
One Happy Camper

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Kirkmen Island- The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11 PM »

The paper printed a copy of the Indian Trail Mine Train layout, and it looks like it will a monster of a ride!

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Kirkmen Island- The BIG Announcement
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:43 PM »
The park is getting better and better! Great shot of the dark ride in the last update, that looks fun. I'm looking forward to seeing Frontier Village.

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Kirkmen Island- Frontier Village (Construction Update)
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Kirkmen Island is celebrating another great season! After a two year expansion The Midway is complete and it has been a great addition to the park. Attendance has significantly increased as a result and the park is growing into a place that is drawing guest from all across the state.

Frontier Village should increase the park’s profile, adding the parks 3rd roller coaster, Indian Trail Mine Train. After the big announcement the park has wasted no time to get the Frontier Village ready for its opening on Memorial Day 1970.

Since the announcement trucks have been dropping off track pieces and construction materials for the expansion project.

The bridge to connect Frontier Village to rest of the park is almost complete and ahead of schedule. The final plans calls for the bridge to connect Frontier Village to the rest of the park by going under the Shute the Breeze ride and through the Under the Boardwalk food court

Construction crews are also working on  the tunnel that the Indian Trail Mine Train will use to go under the entrance. It requires digging and fortifying the tunnel.

The ride is coming together well and the tallest part of the ride is topped off and the station is almost complete.

Thought this has been the third year in a row the park has made a big investment it is a gamble the park is willing to take!

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Ooh, a mine train! :w00t: I can't wait to see it. :)

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 01:05 AM »
I love the construction shots of this park. To me it adds a nice realism touch. And I love the way the new front looks.

However, transportation could be in order as guests may not want to walk far and save the energy for rides. Also have you thought about a water ride to cool off guests?
Stand By to Dive!
Aye Aye Sir! Diving

The Submarine Voyage!

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- OPENING DAY of Frontier Village!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

The Kirkmen family is very excited to finally cut the ribbon on Frontier Village after months of waiting since the initial announcement of the major expansion. Hundreds of anxious park goers lined up over the newly installed bridge waiting for the next section of the park to be opened and after the official ceremony they all rushed Frontier Village!

The star of the day was clearly the Indian Trails Mine Train! The ride had long lines all day!

Indian Trails Mine Train waste no time  dropping thrill seekers immediately into a series of tight curves and turns before the lift hill. The folks at Arrow Dynamics are very proud of this custom design created just for the Kirkmen Island.

Another interesting fact the longest drop in the ride is not the first drop but the last daring drop under the entrance of Frontier Village. Thrill seekers are already raving about near miss element as the train dives into an underground tunnel.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:01 AM by blk_mamba »

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- OPENING DAY of Frontier Village
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Looks like the Mine Train is a big hit! The dive under the entrance sounds especially cool.

Offline Martins1

• If life gives you lemons-eat them, they're healthy
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- OPENING DAY of Frontier Village
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46 PM »
This is a really nice park! I think it's really beautiful, better than anything I could ever make. It's nice to see someone new have a punt at a park, and I think that you're improving already. Your storyline is really strong and interesting, and you present your park in a range of fun and original ways, I think it's spectacular! :up:

One day I might be as brave as you as to start my own park, but for now I'm going to sit and admire at yours and lots of others.
A few tips though, when going into the future.
1) Take your time, and make sure each and every section or ride fulfils it's potential by adding lots of detail in.
2) Constantly update all areas of your park. With bigger and better and more detailed scenery!

Great start, I'll be watching this like a hawk!  :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:48 PM by Martins1 »

I love coasters! :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
1970 Kirkmen Island- The Jones Family Returns!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

After not visiting the park for a few years my family decided to visit Kirkmen Island for this summer because they have been heavily advertising their park expansion, Frontier Village. We hardly recognized the place because of all the major upgrades!

Last time we were here the park only had a very sparse entrance now they have this grand entrance plaza. It shows the park is serious about becoming a major regional player. The entrance was a great place  to take our family vacation group photo!

The Boardwalk was the only part of the park that felt familiar b/c much has not changed since our first visit besides the new signs where the guest use to enter the park.

White Lightning was just as twisty as I remember it, I got this cool post card from the gift shop.

Frontier Village is literally at the far end of the park but it was worth the walk. I love the mine train theme.  The roller coaster is action packed from start to finish. That last helix really glues you to your seat!

We made it to the Midway later in the day and it was really a great time. KAOS really made my stomach hurt, too much spinning, great to look at though.

Other Side of the Moon was easier on my stomach but just as scary! When the robot looking monster tries to warn us of "evil up ahead" he meant it.

Stallion was my favorite ride of the day, I loved the crazy airtime. I felt like I was out of my seat the entire time!

Offline Martins1

• View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- The Jones Family Returns!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:07 AM »
Nice update again!  :up:
I like the way that you are refining all the areas and the rides etc, I think that's really cool!
However, I'm not too keen on the ride entrance, it feels a little bland! Perhaps you could make it slightly more exciting?

Could we see a park map anytime soon? ;)

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- The Jones Family Returns!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 03:38 PM »
I love how Kirkmen Island is developing, there's something for everybody to enjoy. My favorites so far are Other Side of the Moon and the Mine Train, although Stallion looks awesome too. :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island-Park Operations
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Since the park first decided to make the official leap from lazy boardwalk/beach to amusement park the park has seen some dramatic changes. It seems like every year the Kirkmen family continues to re-invest and try to add more exciting attractions to draw more people to Kirkmen Island. In the last five years alone the park has add three roller coasters (White Lightning '65, relocated from a now defunct park, Stallion '68, and Indian Trails Mine Train '70). With rapid expansion comes rapid responsibilities.

Kirkmen Island is committed to fun and excitement however SAFETY is always first. Every morning before the park opens  the maintenance team walks the wooden track to conduct a visual inspection to repair or replace any wood that is loose or broken on our two large wooden roller coasters.

Before any riders are allowed on a roller coaster for that day it is inspected for safety and there are daily test runs to ensure that everything is running at tip top shape. Even our newest attraction, Indian Trails Mine Train must go through this morning ritual.  The trains looks like they move faster when they are empty, or at least they sound like they are going faster!

At Kirkmen Island safety is important, but so is preparation. At Pioneers Hall where Buffalo Bills Wild Wild West Show is currently playing the performers have at least one full dress rehearsal to make sure they are performing at their best. There are 6-9 performances a day so being well rehearsed is important.

Our Staff is probably at their most busy during the early more hours before the gates open. The groundskeepers like to get most of their work done before the park is over run with excited guest!

Speaking of guest the park goers that choose to stay  at the Kirkmen Grand Hotel get early morning access to the park. Since the hotel is only a short walk to the park there is no need to drive.

While rides are not open, the guest that stay at the Kirkman Grand can grab breakfast in the park  and are the first in line for rides once they open. Because of it's location the Midway Diner is always a popular spot where people grab food.

Offline Martins1

• View Profile
Really really cool! I love the way that you presented this! So original, so well thought through, it's amazing! I wish I thought of this ;)

Also about the entrance. I don't hate it I'm just meh about it, it doesn't make me go WOW! that was amazing, all I'm saying is that there is room for improvement there.

The diner is really beautiful by the way :)

Offline shawnoc

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Im really liking this project. My favourite being White Lightning. A quick question: Where did you get those coaster string lights?

Keep up the good work, the story and park can go really far.  :up:

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I really enjoyed this update's focus on safety precautions. It's easy to forget how much time it takes to make sure the rides are safe. I love the old-school diner, you even remembered the ketchup bottles! :)

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- Elect Clint Bushton 70'
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Mr. Kirkmen here to document some more great developments at my family's park!

My old friend from high school Clint Bushton is running for County Council President so naturally when he asked to hold a summer campaign rally at Kirkmen Island I thought it would be a great idea. We had to close off park of the boardwalk but it was worth it and the people seemed to really believe in what Clint was talking about.

For safety reasons and monetary reason we have closed off the beach. Directly in front of the boardwalk however we have opened up the beach b/c it is the best space to hold such a large crowd. It got me to thinking if the beach is an under utilized asset.

As I watched the TV in my office at the Kirkmen Grand Hotel I was inspired as  Clint highlight how he wanted to wanted to build strategic partnerships for the county and I started think about some of the parks partners.

For example the county tried to initially fight the park on installing the Observation Tower b/c it was too tall. It takes riders over 300 feet int he air and is a little over 340 feet tall if you include the flag post at the top of the ride. The county wants us to scale the attraction back however after much debate we got a special permit to build the rides making it one of the tallest structures in Maryland. Because of our partnership with the county 3 times a year we give free admission to Anne Arundel County residents.

Another major partnership we have with the county is the Kirkmen Island Aquarium, one of the first major attractions on the boardwalk. The aquarium works to preserve and display Maryland aquatic life. All the stingrays in the aquariums collection are from Maryland.

Clint Bushton really me thinking what other partnerships can Kirkmen Island make!

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1970 Kirkmen Island- Elect Clint Bushton '70
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Nice update! The story line is always entertaining and realistic.

Offline Martins1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 01:28 AM »
Again, a unique update! Can't wait to see what other sponsorships the park gets!

Offline shawnoc

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 02:18 AM »
I really like kirkman Island, I love the boardwalk charm about it. Going for the kind of sponsors you have gone for are tactically great for the park, making sure it gets maximum exposure.

I love the detail in the story with the morning maintenance procedure. Awesome work.

Offline blk_mamba

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 Kirkmen Island- Stallions Stable
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Kirkmen here again. We are excited about some of the  major additions and transformations in the park for 1971. Stallion has been galloping across the midway for four years and this year the park is introducing, Stallion Stable. Stallion Stable is a partnership with the Maryland Zoo to allow Kirkmen Island park goers to get up close and personal with some of the most beautiful horses Maryland has to offer.

On the boardwalk the Antique Cars have been transformed to the Chesapeake Turnpike thanks in part to the Gibson Island florist, Always Blooming. Chesapeake Turnpike not only provides a great family ride but now a beautiful ride. The difference between the ride now and this picture from 1966 shows the gravity of the transformation, the only constants are the iconic red cars.

Driving on the Chesapeake Turnpike is now like driving through a garden oasis.

In partnership with Always Blooming There is also a beautiful floral tunnel behind the Chesapeake Turnpike that guest get to enjoy.

The Floral Tunnel leads to New Flying Carousel located between the Boardwalk and the Midway and the new sweets shop, Sweets &Treats.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:27 PM by blk_mamba »