Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3353 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier Announces Planet Coaster for 2016(trailer)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 04:26 AM »
Was reading that this game will use Frontier's Cobra engine - which was developed for RCT3.  Being the same engine, I'm wondering if that might slightly increase the chances of porting custom items created for RCT3 over to the new game? 

I know there were some complaints about RCT3's engine and coding, will those same concerns pop up in the new game?

And if I recall correctly (it's been awhile...), Frontier was in favor of adding the ability to import Custom Content into RCT3, it was Atari that was against it.  At least that was the scuttle-butt back then.  Remember how the game had the ability to check for updates?  My understanding was that originally was for ease in downloading both community-created custom content as well as official for-pay content. 

Offline Nolfy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 04:54 AM »
Yeah i remember that also Wabigbear. I am glad Frontier is not tied up to Atari or any other publisher.
Also remember the unofficial patches (nighttime patch) which wasn't even made available by Atari. It could only be found on Frontier forums.

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03 AM »
^I remember that.

And yeah Frontier was the one that was fine with "mods". If you can find the archive of the old CS thread with the first posted pictures of CS the entire first 5 pages it talk about the legality of it all and I think someone mentioned Frontier giving the green light on releasing the CS for download.

Offline R-R Ltd.

• Arr-Arr Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55 AM »
I know there were some complaints about RCT3's engine and coding, will those same concerns pop up in the new game?

If they found the same concerns we did then it's very possible they fixed them. If you look at other game engines, such as unity, they get updated with new features and such but are still considered the same engine.
"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29 AM »

The engine was also used for Frontiers most recent game Elite. Go and look at that - the games vast and highly impressive. I don't think the concerns about the performance of the engine when it made RCT3 are valid. You can tell it's had a lot of care and attention and refinement....
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59 AM »
I believe the minimum CPU for Elite Dangerous is a 2.0 GHz quad core.  I'm not sure if the min specs come from the engine or the game (I'm thinking it's the engine, but somebody tell me if I'm wrong).  RCT3 only runs on one core, so it seems to me that the engine has been upgraded if it now uses four cores.  This gives me hope that there is at least the possibility that this new game will take advantage of multiple cores to reduce lag and/or have high FPS.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 08:19 AM »
^ Yeah I agree.

David Braben frequently says in interviews that he wants the games to last for 10 years.

I remember when RCT3 was coming out, my friend told me that RCT3 was so demanding on hardware they hadn't been able to test it properly on Max settings. I don't know how much truth is in that - but I'm pretty sure that we may all have to buy new PCs to get the most out of Planet Coaster!

* Just realized, Planet Coaster = PC...this may get confusing.   :confused:
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Yeah gonna be super annoying to abbreviate that. The engine has 100% evolved since RCT3 go look at the games that they said they made with the same engine. They look a million times better than anything that came with RCT3.

Building a new PC this summer... can't wait to max the heck out of this game when it comes out. :)

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it being the same engine as rct3. A well written game engine can be used for years while you continue to take parts out (rendering/shading systems, sound systems, physics, etc) and improve them as necessary. Writing a good solid 3d game engine from scratch at a big video game company takes years and millions of dollars which is why most companies either license one or use one they've already built and improve it.

RCT3 was also released at a weird time when multicore processors were almost about to hit the mainstream but they couldn't take advantage of it so we end up with a single threaded, single core game that had to make due with little ram. None of those things are a problem anymore.

I do hope it's 64bit only though. A game like this will benefit immensely by being able to use more than 2gb of ram

I believe the minimum CPU for Elite Dangerous is a 2.0 GHz quad core.  I'm not sure if the min specs come from the engine or the game (I'm thinking it's the engine, but somebody tell me if I'm wrong).  RCT3 only runs on one core, so it seems to me that the engine has been upgraded if it now uses four cores.  This gives me hope that there is at least the possibility that this new game will take advantage of multiple cores to reduce lag and/or have high FPS.

Typically that's the game's requirements. I'd bet Elite Dangerous is going to be considerably more demanding on hardware than this game will be.

Re: Official Coaster Planet Discussion Thread
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 01:16 PM »

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Of the upcoming coaster games this is the one I'm the most enthusiastic about. Whilst what was shown in the preview clips is clearly not gameplay I'm still excited!

Offline SwissCheese77

• Late to the party
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 01:45 PM »
From a quick google search, it looks like Elite: Dangerous still uses the OVL file format which bodes well for it being used in Planet Coaster.  I'd have to imagine that they've updated and revised the file format since 2004 though, so I doubt that our old CS would just be plug and play in the game.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35 PM »
I don't think the trailer is indication of the graphic we will see but the models on sketchfab, and the video on the website, http://www.planetcoaster.com/, are entirely possible for the real game graphics.

The graphics aren't going for realism so they can cut corners on some things and add details in other more important places. So an art style such as the one they chose allows for that amount of detail. Just look at The Sims 4. The in game graphics are beautiful and detailed albeit not super realistic.

I'm not saying it's supposed to look realistic. It's the style of RCT3. I just want to see more gameplay footage before I say I like it.

I was looking at the tree in the background video at http://www.planetcoaster.com and it appears the leaves fall off. So i'm guessing we're gonna have landscapers now, kind of like the janitors in RCT3!
You need to lower your standards cause it's never getting any better than this.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 03:11 PM »
I'm looking at the screenshot that shows the pizza stand. There are 4 benches in front. Is there a reason why all the developers creating theme park sims have such an aversion to creating tables and chairs for the peeps to eat their meals?  >:(

When I see that in a theme park sim, then I might actually be impressed.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Yoshi

• So, I kind of fell off the wagon for a while...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Yes, the whole thing about Planet Coaster being on the same engine as RCT3 is true. Remember how I've been saying that the only way that there was even a remote chance that CS could be transferred is if the new game used the same engine... Well, this game uses the same engine, so there definitely is a chance that current CS could be updated to be used in Planet Coaster. Hopefully Frontier provides us with tools to make CS this time.
I suck. Really.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DinoYoshi133

Re: Officiat Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10 AM »
About goddamn time.

I too am concerned about the ability to import CS, but what I really want to know is, if they are using the same engine, will this thing lag to Hell and back just like RCT3?

Looks amazing though.
I've lost my mind, isn't that great?

Offline Nolfy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2015, 03:06 AM »
Some interesting articles i found with a tiny bit of more information. Maybe some of you haven't seen them.

“Let’s do something fresh, is the intention,” he continued. “We’re doing that with each aspect—to revisit the genre properly and do it really well, and do every aspect of it really well… because we love it, and we’ve done so many coaster games over the years—we know how to do it.”..........
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/elite-dangerous-developers-talk-to-ars-about-planet-coaster/

“One example which I wish we’d done before is you get a very different experience if you ride in the front of the train or if you ride in the back. If you’re doing a loop-the-loop if you’re towards the front you go fast into the loop and then slow down. It’s actually quite a nice experience. If you go in the back you go into the loop and you slow down on the nice flat bit then you whip round. It’s horrible. I hate it!..........http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/19/planet-coaster/

Re: Officiat Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2015, 06:09 AM »
About goddamn time.

I too am concerned about the ability to import CS, but what I really want to know is, if they are using the same engine, will this thing lag to Hell and back just like RCT3?

Looks amazing though.

It's a much updated version of the engine, and I believe I saw somewhere it'll use the same engine as Elite: Dangerous (could be making things up here). That game has worked extremely well in my experience and looks beautiful, so I don't think it should be lag on an RCT3 scale.

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Engines don't mean the EXACT thing RCT3 runs on. Engines are updated as hardware gets better - but they're still considered the same engine - I think it's for proprietary reasons. It costs a lot of startup cash to license and protect a custom engine.

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2015, 08:08 PM »
I hope the do DLC type things. Like adding more rides every now and then, new features, etc. I'm not talking about them adding new cars to old tracks. The community can do that stuff. I'm talking about like whole new coasters. Kind of like Soaked and Wild. But more than that. Like continuously update until Planet Coaster 2 or whatever they come up with.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 01:11 PM »
I hope they do DLC type things. Like adding more rides every now and then, new features, etc. I'm not talking about them adding new cars to old tracks. I'm talking about like whole new coasters.
Search for the PEP expansion tracks. Indeed,
The community can do that stuff.
As cool as RCT3's expansions were, I'd prefer to have expandability.

Offline KrakatoaCoo

• Epic Stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 04:15 PM »
So this must be the project Frontier mentioned last year. Looks exciting.  :)
Youtube = LINK
Coaster Counter = LINK
~Bizarro/S:ROS Ride Count: 17~

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Search for the PEP expansion tracks. Indeed,As cool as RCT3's expansions were, I'd prefer to have expandability.

Why not have both? I don't think either of those are too much to ask for.

Offline bswas98

• I am a person who enjoys things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 11:53 PM »
If the game is on steam then doing DLC shouldn't be an issue. I grew to enjoy the water park expansion of RCT3 and I wonder if an improved version of that will ever make it into the game. Overall I have much more confidence in this than I do in TPS and RCTW. Parkitect is still cool, but the fact that Frontier is running the show here gets me pretty pumped up.
Hyuk!

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 10:49 AM »
^I feel that Parkitect is aimed in a slightly different way than RCT-World or Planet Coaster. I also think Atari knows this [although they may also be under the fallacy that Parkitect is in no way a threat, which isn't true at all] which is why they're only starting to show more pictures now that Frontier is stepping up. When a studio that worked under you is now generating more hype than you, you know you jeed to try harder.

Offline Nolfy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 01:14 PM »
I never played Kinect Disneyland Adventures, but i think this will show a glimpse of what we could expect.

That game is older now, but i remember it didn't look bad and just look at the screenshot. Of course game itself was totally different, but i hope these kind of graphics will be there. I know this game needs to have balance between graphics and processing power, but i am positive.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:18 PM by Nolfy »

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I hope they include an in-game video recorder like RCT3. Pretty important feature in my opinion!

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I hope they include an in-game video recorder like RCT3. Pretty important feature in my opinion!
If it slows things down as badly as RCT3 did, I'm going to just use Fraps or something. Which, TBH, I probably will regardless.

Offline TheCodeMaster

• Freelance 3D Designer and Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2015, 12:42 AM »
Pretty excited for this. Looks like the game we have always wanted.
huh

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29 AM »
If it slows things down as badly as RCT3 did, I'm going to just use Fraps or something. Which, TBH, I probably will regardless.

Heck no. An in-game recorder that actually renders a smooth footage no matter your PC config instead of capturing the lag is mandatory! RCT's lag was never a bug. ;)