Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3505 replies

Offline gecaum

• View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3270 on: August 02, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I advise you to go and see  Fisherman's waves  in the forum :https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/33668-Beach-waves-effect?p=237751#post237751

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: August 13, 2018, 01:39 PM »
1.7.3 Update Is Out

Among other things, it fixed the problem with lit windows and billboards not loading stock, Frontier images and videos.  YAY!  I went back and turned on several hundred windows in my contest park :).

Also, they say that they've made some progress on the Advanced Move crash thing.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3272 on: August 13, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Acknowledging that the advanced move crash exists is progress in itself, given all the forum posts I found where they kept treating it like some new thing.

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #3273 on: August 14, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Just getting back into PC (the vintage pack did that to me) and I have a Q about coaster friction. Does the slider information on a coaster save along with its coaster blueprint and/or park when put up on Steam?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: August 14, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Just getting back into PC (the vintage pack did that to me) and I have a Q about coaster friction. Does the slider information on a coaster save along with its coaster blueprint and/or park when put up on Steam?

Yup, the per-coaster friction slider saves with the coaster, both as it sits in a park and as a blueprint.  Same as other operational settings like station delays.  It's a wonderful thing ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #3275 on: August 14, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Thanks, Bullethead! I can exhale now.  :D

« Reply #3276 on: September 21, 2018, 06:35 AM »
some great news for planet coaster:

Hello coaster friends,

One of our favourite parts of Planet Coaster is seeing all the amazing, funky, and creative blueprints our players display on the Steam Workshop. There's so much attention to detail, so much originality and creativity, and it blows us away every day to see what you've put together - whether that's a recreation of your favourite theme park, a super spooky haunted mansion, an elaborate Go-Karts track through the gears of a clock, or a scene straight out of a Hollywood action movie. There seems to be no limit to what you all build and create!

The team have been hard at work as we’re getting ready for another Planet Coaster update, but we've got a very special announcement for you today, which we hope enables and strengthens that creativity even further:

Thememaker's Toolkit

The Thememaker's Toolkit is a pipeline system for 3D models to be added as scenery items to your parks. It is a free feature we have been working on for a while now, and will truly challenge players who'd love to try their hand at creating all-new items for their parks! Skilled artists within the community will be able to create a host of items such as a sci-fi spaceship, or an amazingly crafted piece of foliage. The Thememaker's Toolkit will give you the ability to bring your 3D models to life and share them with everyone.

This much-requested community feature will make its way into the game later this year. We wanted to let you know today as some Thememaker's Toolkit files will be visible in the game folders after our next update. We also hope this gives you plenty of time to prepare your gaming stations with the necessary tools, or start planning your next creations which will be infused with boundless variety once the feature launches.

We will have even more news for you soon regarding the next Planet Coaster update, but for now: thank you for your ongoing support!

Bo

p.s. We've also got a Support FAQ for you if you have any more questions, but feel free to pop any below this forum post as well.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34140-Coming-Soon-to-Planet-Coaster-Thememaker-s-Toolkit

« Reply #3277 on: September 21, 2018, 06:40 AM »
some great news for planet coaster:

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34140-Coming-Soon-to-Planet-Coaster-Thememaker-s-Toolkit
Great news indeed, and exciting times ahead! :D

There's a FAQ about the upcoming Thememaker's Toolkit for Planet Coaster here: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=464
Positivity : ) • Passionate about zoos, theme parks, Disney Pixar, art & games • Frontier Ambassador

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 21, 2018, 07:48 AM »
This is definitely great news! Though comes with the downside that there probably won't be many more official packs from Frontier after this one, and their art style is going to be certainly difficult to match.

EDIT: I see no mention if this will have tools for making things like particle effects, lighting, animations, etc. so I'm hoping it will..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:05 AM by Grrt »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 21, 2018, 09:19 AM »
This is definitely great news! Though comes with the downside that there probably won't be many more official packs from Frontier after this one, and their art style is going to be certainly difficult to match.

EDIT: I see no mention if this will have tools for making things like particle effects, lighting, animations, etc. so I'm hoping it will..

The FAQ says you CAN make animations and therefore triggerable items.  You CANNOT make lights, particle effects, or rides.  All these things are more than just models, they also have to have some sort of compiled program code to function.  All that's happening so far is making models, although they can be animated.  Apparently animation is handled by the base game engine so no extra coding required.  And while it wasn't mentioned, I'm guessing nothing user-made will be recolorable, either, for the same reason.

Anyway, while custom content is definitely good news, this snippet from the FAQ is a bit depressing.

What 3D models can I use?
You must upload a .fbx file with the textures for the file as .png. When the feature launches, we are expecting to support .fbx created in Autodesk Maya, but we are looking at other packages like Autodesk 3DS Max and Blender as well.

For them as don't know, Autodesk Maya is a professional package (probably what Frontier uses) with a $2500/year subscription fee.  This is definitely not something everybody has access to.  Also, the .fbx file format is proprietary and owned by Autodesk.  As this is the only type of file the online ThemeMaker accepts, this rather limits other options.

Autodesk 3DS Max ain't cheap, either:  $250/year subscription.  Also it appears to lack the ability to make animations.  I don't know for sure as I've never used it myself, but I'll assume it at least has native .fbx support.

Blender (which is free) DOES allow animations.  Also, supposedly the Blender crew has cracked the secret .fbx format and includes an import/export routine in Blender so you can make the model in the Blender format, then export it as an .fbx.  While I have used Blender a fair amount, however, I've never used this feature so can't say whether it works or not.  But I'll definitely try it as, of course, it costs nothing ;).

In any case, given the above limitations, I don't think we've seen the last of Frontier-made packs.  Maybe not so much scenery any more, but I'm sure they'll still be making rides and coasters for us for a while yet.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 21, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Autodesk 3DS Max ain't cheap, either:  $250/year subscription.  Also it appears to lack the ability to make animations.  I don't know for sure as I've never used it myself, but I'll assume it at least has native .fbx support.
3DS Max is $1500/year, not $250/year. And it does pretty much everything Maya can do.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 22, 2018, 09:08 AM »

Blender (which is free) DOES allow animations.  Also, supposedly the Blender crew has cracked the secret .fbx format and includes an import/export routine in Blender so you can make the model in the Blender format, then export it as an .fbx.  While I have used Blender a fair amount, however, I've never used this feature so can't say whether it works or not.  But I'll definitely try it as, of course, it costs nothing ;).

it works Bullethead. I have exported many .fbx files using Blender.
I will wait with getting excited about this new tool. If they wont allow blender as creating tool, it will only be a few who can make items. I wont be buying Autodesk Maya (to expensive).

« Reply #3282 on: September 22, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Well... If you have any friends with student IDs, you can get some of that software for free ;)

Very exciting to hear we're going to get custom scenery. I really think that can take this game to a new place.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 22, 2018, 11:19 PM »
@ShyGuy:  I stand corrected.

@Forgath:  Glad to hear it ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 24, 2018, 12:06 PM »
And while it wasn't mentioned, I'm guessing nothing user-made will be recolorable, either, for the same reason.

Dealbreaker if true. Okay, that's probably overdramatic. There'll still be some use for UGC - custom signs, some specific set pieces or furniture, rocks and foliage - but nowhere near the versatile sets from RCT3. Or Parkitect, or RCT2, or even the few scenery packs for No Limits 2.

What I really want and what would really fit Planet Coaster are just more recolorable shapes. But even fancier things - windows, chairs, doors - would be way more useful if we could make them recolorable, so I'm hoping that's a possibility. Otherwise UGC's pretty handicapped.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: September 24, 2018, 12:32 PM »
The FAQ states...

"After creating your 3D model, you upload your .fbx file and its required textures to the Thememaker's Toolkit website. There, you can set values like name, in-game price, scenery browser category, and default colours."

Sounds to me that you will be able to make re-colorable objects.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 24, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Sounds to me that you will be able to make re-colorable objects.

Could be.  Be nice if that's true.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 24, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Could possibly be why they're stipulating .png's? Could be the only way to allow recolorability in the engine perhaps? I'm not familiar on how it worked in RCT3 enough to know the details on that.. The game might do something similar to layers to accomplish recolor so only a .png could hold layer info or transparency like that.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 26, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Hi all,

Just a quick check. There is a special effect in the game like a tumble weed, right? I remember using it in Planco. Is it a false memory, cause I can't seem to find it...

« Reply #3289 on: September 26, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Hi all,

Just a quick check. There is a special effect in the game like a tumble weed, right? I remember using it in Planco. Is it a false memory, cause I can't seem to find it...
I'm not aware of this, but I may be wrong.

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Guess it's a false memory, thanks for the quick respond ^^

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 26, 2018, 03:07 PM »
HEY!  We seem to be getting new food vendor stalls!  They accidentally revealed it during the video when they were picking videos to play on the screen.  Maybe they hold a clue to what the DLC might be?  Maybe some sort of international theme?  Everyone was guessing it's an Asian theme...but Gelato and Ribs?  Hmmm....

I see:
-Hayo Sushi
-Just Ribbin'
-L'Angelo del Gelato
-Le Vingt Six

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:13 PM by Fisherman »

« Reply #3292 on: September 26, 2018, 04:25 PM »
None of the free stuff announced really grabbed my attention, but I'd definitely throw some money at the chance for more food options.  Especially if they flesh out all the signage varieties as with the earlier shops.

Offline BBordewyk

• Just another armchair imagineer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Fingers crossed on new entertainers! But if Asian themed things and a sushi food vendor are on their way I'm going to hold off on working on Reptarland for a bit. Was about to start on the Sushi & Karaoke Restaurant, but definitely going to wait now. :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 26, 2018, 06:36 PM »
The bait shop (known to those who can neither fish nor cook for themselves as a "sushi bar") is greeted by a great lack of enthusiasm here on the bayou where we catch our own bait for free AND are world-famous for how we actually cook real fish.  However, despite also being equally world-famous for how we cook ribs, we're always happy to taste the recipes of others, if for no other reason than to gloat that our own recipes are better, so everybody at BSI is quite happy to see a ribs shop :)

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: September 27, 2018, 05:46 AM »
I think we get more like an international set.
Vingt six, is french: 26.
L'Angelo del gelato, is Italian: Something like the Angel of Ice-creams.
Ribbbin', no idea...
Sushi sounds like an Asian theme.

But the other two are European countries. So my guess: An European set (but Sushi is off), or an international set.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Ribbbin', no idea...

But the other two are European countries. So my guess: An European set (but Sushi is off), or an international set.

"Just ribbin'" (properly spelled "ribbing") is American slang for "I'm just joking" or "I'm kidding".  It's based on the gesture of elbowing the person next to you in the ribs when you tell a joke, especially if it insults that person.  So I figure this will be an American-style BBQ shop.

The idea of an "international" set is actually quite encouraging.  I figure this will allow a steady flow of DLCs for quite some time to come, as each one focuses on the architecture of a specific region of the world.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 27, 2018, 07:34 AM »
"Just ribbin'" (properly spelled "ribbing") is American slang for "I'm just joking" or "I'm kidding".  It's based on the gesture of elbowing the person next to you in the ribs when you tell a joke, especially if it insults that person.  So I figure this will be an American-style BBQ shop.

The idea of an "international" set is actually quite encouraging.  I figure this will allow a steady flow of DLCs for quite some time to come, as each one focuses on the architecture of a specific region of the world.

Aah thanks, just learned something today :)

Then the question is, what do they all have in common?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 27, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Then the question is, what do they all have in common?

That none of them will be as popular as burgers and hotdogs?  Seriously, it certainly used to be that burgers and hotdogs, water and juice were far and away more popular with peeps than all the others.  I don't know if that's still the case, though, so I need to re-run that experiment.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 27, 2018, 08:59 PM »
We're getting barbecue? Okay, this next DLC sounds worth it already.