Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3513 replies

Offline cap396

• View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3360 on: November 02, 2018, 08:26 AM »
^ No problem with game crashes for me at the moment.  I hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 02, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Noop, I am having regular crashes as well. It's weird but since a few days it has been more and more and on the weirdest moments. When I load a file, when the file just opened, when I build something, when it autosaves. But not even 'game-related'. It even happens when I switch tabs and say I want to look and Google Maps for reference, it crashes...

The weirdest thing though, it doesn't always say it is a crash. Sometimes it just closes without any signals afterwards. No popup with a crashreport, no signal when I reopen the game. Sometimes it does, sometimes is doesn't.
I had this problem earlier, but back then it was a problem with my Nvidea driver, but I updated that one yesterday and the crashes still happen. So trust me, you are not the only one and I have heard stories from BroNation where people say the crashes increased after the recent DLC and big update. So that means it IS a problem by Frontier and they should be able to fix it.

I hope they do, cause right now I am not really motivated to play the game.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 02, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I've yet to have a single crash except for one time after I'd already saved and then quit to the main menu trying to quit the game anyway.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 02, 2018, 09:31 AM »
I was going to post this in the "What did you just do" thread with "Just rebooted my PC for the 9th time in 2 days because the game crashes are getting worse, not better."   This park is a fraction the size of my previous builds and I'm now saving at 5 minute intervals because the lockups have become THAT predictable.  Has anybody else noticed an increase in frequency on these?  Are there still people out there who have NOT had this happen yet, or are those all just paid forum trolls that Frontier sends out to downplay a problem that they can't seem to fix?

If by "crash" you mean "total system lock-up requiring hard reboot from the button on the tower when trying to do an advanced move + copy", I haven't had that happen in a while, but OTOH I've only been making blueprints on a clear field since I finished my summer contest park.  When I was still working on that park, however, I had this problem an annoying number of times, although nowhere near as often as you're reporting.  And somewhere along in that time, some patch went some way towards fixing this, so that as park complexity increased towards the end of the project, the frequency of such lock-ups decreased somewhat.

However, I have had the game actually crash to desktop occasionally, with the pop-up box asking for a report on what was going on at the time.  These have been few and far between, with no apparent connection between them.  Sometimes it's happened as soon as I hit the PLAY button, sometimes it's after a LOT of editing, sometimes it's when the game is closing down.  More seriously, I had a glitch in the save system where the game got confused about where to save the park, under its own name or as a quicksave.  Attempting to load this park under its own name would actually power down my whole system and hose game files requiring me to verify my installation before PC would run at all again.  Fortunately, this was only an issue with 1 saved game which, even more fortunately, was an empty field for making blueprints so no real harm done.

Anyway, Elch -- I agree with Shyguy.  The jungle boats are not very useful, not just because of the side-seating but that smokestack gets in the way of about everything.  The water coaster works well for dark rides and the like, and peeps will still ride it even if you don't give it a coaster layout.  The boats are more versatile to various theming as well.

Heheh, I like the jungle boats :).  But they, and ALL transport rides for that matter, do have a serious problem.  Fortunately, after a couple months of reporting, some of which was barking up the wrong tree, Frontier finally acknowledged the problem and is taking steps to fix it.

The problem is not with the rides themselves but with peep behavior as a result of 2 changes Frontier has made with transport rides.  These changes made transport rides completely useless for their intended purpose of being a quick way for peeps to move about the park.  In the beginning, transport rides were just that---transport.  They had no prestige and HAD to have at least 2 stations because peeps only considered them as part of the path system.  But folks wanted to use transport rides as entertainment rides and Frontier obliged, giving transport rides prestige and allowing them to have only 1 station.  Unfortunately, transport rides, being a species of track rides, get stupidly high excitement and, thus, prestige, for their low speed compared to coasters, so they are HUGELY popular entertainment rides.  More recently, Frontier changed the transport side of things by making peeps consider the price of the ride when deciding whether to take the ride or just walk to the other side of the park.  And it turns out, peeps have a VERY low tolerance for transport ride prices.

The net result is that unless you make the transport ride free, NOBODY will use it just to get from Point A to Point B.  But because transport rides are immensely popular due to their excessively high prestige, EVERYBODY wants to use them for entertainment, and this is regardless of price.  Those on the ride for entertainment always make full laps, getting off at the same station they boarded.  So if the transport ride isn't free, the stations are all packed and you make lots of money, but you can't use the rides to get to otherwise inaccessible areas of the park because all the riders are making full laps.  OTOH, if the ride is free, then the stations are doubly packed because you get both the entertainment and the transport crowds but you then don't make any money to cover the high operating cost of the large, multi-station, multi-train ride.

I'd as soon go back to how things were originally.  But to keep the existing features, Frontier needs to BOTH increase peep tolerance for transport ride costs AND lower the prestige at least transport rides get for their speed compared to coasters.  Even better, they should reduce the excitement-to-speed ratio (and thus prestige) of all track rides in general, which IMHO is one of the main factors contributing to the lack of business at flat rides.

But anyway, Frontier has at least acknowledged there's an issue here and is working on it, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:13 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3364 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Bluespirit, I agree that the lockups/freezes/crashes/whateveryouwanttocallthem has changed with this recent update...  it used to be somewhat predictable, like if I was building something round and rotating multiple pieces I always knew to save first.   Or even trying to clone and move multiple pieces at once was a common scenario.  But now it doesn't seem tied to anything, like cloning one piece will trigger it.  And one of my crashes today happened not even during an advanced move of any sort.   So frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I think today I just needed to hear that it wasn't just me.

« Reply #3365 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I was going to post this in the "What did you just do" thread with "Just rebooted my PC for the 9th time in 2 days because the game crashes are getting worse, not better."   This park is a fraction the size of my previous builds and I'm now saving at 5 minute intervals because the lockups have become THAT predictable.  Has anybody else noticed an increase in frequency on these?  Are there still people out there who have NOT had this happen yet, or are those all just paid forum trolls that Frontier sends out to downplay a problem that they can't seem to fix? 

Sorry, but had to vent before I consider loading the game for a third time this hour.  Anyway, Elch -- I agree with Shyguy.  The jungle boats are not very useful, not just because of the side-seating but that smokestack gets in the way of about everything.  The water coaster works well for dark rides and the like, and peeps will still ride it even if you don't give it a coaster layout.  The boats are more versatile to various theming as well.

I'm clearly in an anti-Frontier mood this morning.  It will pass.
I have no issues with crashes (and I'm loading and working in some pretty large parks)...so maybe its you. :)
Did you try updating all your drivers?

My comment on the boats...while they may not be fully ideal...I do quite like them a lot and the smoke stack does make you raise bridges a bit, but I like the way they look and will work through that. I have these all over my new park and haven't really run into any major design issues yet because of this.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 03, 2018, 06:17 AM »
I've had at least four crashes since World's Fair.

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 08, 2018, 07:24 AM »
I have no game crashing problems at all.
Only when I use the in game custom supports objetcs for a long time the game crashes into a freezed screen.
It don´t crashes to desktop with an error message. I have to make a hard reset on the tower.
I don´t know if this is because of the new update, but if I remeber right I have not used the custom support objects before the World´s Fair update.
So it could be...

greetz
zeroG

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 10, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Three crashes so far for me today.  just doing simple things like moving an object, changing the image on a screen, and once with the game just idle while I watched a Youtube video on the other monitor.  Starting to bring back memories of the end of RCT3 for me when my park got too big for the game to handle.   :no:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 10, 2018, 05:53 PM »
I had another of my blackscreen, powerdown, need to validate the game crashes this evening.  But when I restarted PC, it said I'd had a GPU crash and to turn on the debugger for the next run.  So I did but nothing bad happened.  Off to check my drivers AGAIN.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 10, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I was never experiencing freezing. But lately more often. Not every 10 minutes, but at least once in a gameplay session (1-5 hrs)... Hopefully the reports helps...

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 11, 2018, 12:40 AM »
I had a Driver update and now my Planco works again. It is weird though, how much the game relies on a Driver... I don´t experience this with other games, so I am not sure where the problems is anymore.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 11, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Yeah, PC told me I had a GPU crash last night so I went to Device Manager and updated my driver, then went to bed.  This morning I had 2 BSODs and 2 black-screen powerdowns when trying to play, so I restarted in safe mode, went to the Nvidia site, and manually updated my driver.  Things have gone OK since.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 13, 2018, 06:41 AM »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 13, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Looks like they broadened the supported software list too.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: November 13, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Also, that guidebook or whatever they linked in that post answers a lot of the technical questions, such as how much texture space, which is fairly generous IMHO.  Some other things...

* Biggest thing we can make is 8m x 8m x 8m.
* Smallest object possible is 0.5m x 0.1m x 0.1m
* Triangles are limited but it seems reasonable given the dimensional limits
* CAN use Flexicolor
* CAN include code modules (in TMT) to including funky things like building a display sequencer and speakers into the part, which can be quite useful.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: November 13, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Lots to unload in that guide. And should be miles easier to accomplish things than with RCT3's importer, where for years we had no clue what certain flags even accomplished or any real error checking.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: November 13, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Aaargh, planco just crashed again... So much frustration   >:(

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: November 13, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Any word on if blueprints will be supported?

I find the six triangle minimum a little weird for them to mention, but for the few shapes where that would be a problem  (flat rectangles, triangular pyramids) you could just add more anyway.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: November 13, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Any word on if blueprints will be supported?

It's my understanding that user-made parts are treated in all respects like stock parts.  So, you should be able to create blueprints that include user-made parts.  I suppose then 1 of 2 things will happen:

1.  If somebody downloads the blueprint but doesn't already have the user-made part(s), it will be like blueprints with DLC parts---they can't edit or otherwise use the parts they don't have, but can still use blueprints containing them; or

2.  The user-made parts will automatically download with the blueprint using them, assuming the parts themselves are also on the Workshop.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: November 13, 2018, 02:34 PM »

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: November 13, 2018, 04:11 PM »
That's what I get for thinking up a question then trying to type it on my phone while taking an elevator. I meant billboards. I didn't see any mention of it when I skimmed the PDF, so I'm guessing not?

Blueprints does bring up an interesting question, though. I'm hoping it works like #2. (Stonehearth lets mods require and automatically download other mods to work, so I know it's possible to do that on Steam. Parkitect lists the required CS mods for its workshop blueprints, but I don't know if it actually downloads them for you because I've downloaded almost all the mods already and I never download blueprints.)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21 PM »
You can make signs that have your own text on them embedded in the texture. No mention of billboards as in being able to change them in game or change text in game.

It will work like two. You subscribe to the custom items. Seemingly, if you install a workshop item with something custom, you will also by default subscribe to that one, since you don't have to pay for items.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: November 13, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Hmmm...I was hoping smaller objects would be possible...like tiny art shapes.  Like smaller than 0.5m x 0.1m x 0.1m.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: November 13, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Why on earth would there be a minimum size requirement when so many people are crying for tiny objects?? And we REALLY REALLY need more custom sized billboards!
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #3385 on: November 13, 2018, 09:44 PM »
* Biggest thing we can make is 8m x 8m x 8m.
It says it must not exceed 8m on any axis, doesn't that mean it can be up to 16x16x16m big?

It's pretty clever of them to do the compiling on their servers. Not only they can keep track of what users create (and shut it down if it violates any rights), it also doesn't make it any easier to reverse engineer the file format.

Let's just hope it will be available for a long time, it will support other content types in the future and there won't be any tighter restrictions imposed, because enforcing artificial limits (like the CTR Creator did in the RCT3 days) is never a good idea.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: November 13, 2018, 10:17 PM »
It says it must not exceed 8m on any axis, doesn't that mean it can be up to 16x16x16m big?

I don't think so.  How do you get 16m?

It's pretty clever of them to do the compiling on their servers. Not only they can keep track of what users create (and shut it down if it violates any rights), it also doesn't make it any easier to reverse engineer the file format.

I think it also gets around a licensing issue.  The original model and texture files are the intellectual property of their authors.  However, once run through the Frontier server and converted into a proprietary game file format, they become a derivative work of the game and thus the final, in-game part is the intellectual property of Frontier.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3387 on: November 13, 2018, 10:35 PM »
I don't think so.  How do you get 16m?
You're correct, for a moment i mistakenly thought of the negative directions in a coordinate system as additional axes.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: November 14, 2018, 09:29 AM »
You're correct, for a moment i mistakenly thought of the negative directions in a coordinate system as additional axes.

Yes, the .fbx format only encodes an x, y, and z and you tell it to be z+ up or whatever, like with RCT3. Though if you build across the cube, you could feasibly get about 14m of length. sqrt(8^2+8^+8^2)=13.85 which works so long as your object is fairly skinny at the tops and bottom.

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39 AM »
@Shyguy : With the Thememakers Toolkit coming next week, are you creating a new subboard for UGC?