Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3747 replies

Offline cap396

• View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3600 on: January 15, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Is there any new news about the lag bug?  Last I heard Frontier said they fixed it with 1.10, but that it didn't actually get fixed with that release.  Are they still working on it?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: January 15, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Is there any new news about the lag bug?  Last I heard Frontier said they fixed it with 1.10, but that it didn't actually get fixed with that release.  Are they still working on it?

Here's the thing....

1.  Not everybody has the so-called "lag bug" so that tells you right off it's not so much a bug but something that has an unexpected result on certain systems.
2.  Frontier identified a cause of performance issues and changed it.  This fixed the "lag bug" for some but not others.
4.  If you still have the so-called "lag bug", it's probably something about your system that's doing it.  Corrupt files, bad RAM, using virtual cores, that sort of thing.  The exact cause will vary from person to person.  So really, the only way you'll ever get over this is to fill out a support ticket.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3602 on: January 15, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I still am trying to get an offical ticket submitted, but the lag for me started after the update, so I don't think its something on my side else its a major co-ink-i-dink.

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I'm curious to know if anyone reading this who has/had the problem was able to resolve it by filing a ticket.  Did filing the ticket produce results?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:24 PM by cap396 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: January 15, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I'm curious to know if anyone reading this who has/had the problem was able to resolve it by filing a ticket.  Did filing the ticket produce results?

Um, yeah...   

(counts to 10 very slowly to stave off another rant at having to say the SAME FUCKING THING FOR THE 300th FUCKING TIME......)

OK....  Where were we?  Oh yeah...

When 1.9 came out, I WISHED I only had severe FPS loss.  For me, my GPU would always crash about 5-15 seconds after opening any park, even starting a new, blank one.  When this happened, my screen would go totally black, not even a cursor.  There was no way to interact with my computer so the only recourse was to hard reboot.

This didn't happen before 1.9 so at first I blamed Frontier and bugs and all that.   Or thought maybe my nearly 9-year old computer had finally met its match.  But it quickly became apparent that not everybody was having this sort of problem, which cued me in to the fact that it was some problem on my end that, for whatever reason, 1.9 found and aggravated.  So I opened a ticket.  After a few exchanges of emails with the techs working exclusively on my issues, we found and fixed several things wrong on my end.  Since then, all has been bacon coated in butter and washed down with beer.

So as I've said many times, open a fucking ticket.  What's the worst that could happen?  That you'd be no better off than you are now?  So what harm is there in trying?  And as I've said countless times, it's probably the only way you'll ever get your issue resolved.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3605 on: January 15, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Hey BH - I understand your frustration in listening to all this over and over, but chill out please. This isn't worth getting irate over (I know you were directing this at me at least a little bit) as we all need to stay forum friends here.

I was doing the best I could to escalate this officially but continually ran into issues. Seriously, they don't make it all that easy (at least IMO) to submit a ticket....understandably so as they would otherwise be swamped.

I finally was able to sub a ticket - and was very frustrated as every time I tried it was booting me out because of user ID and password issues. it was an endless loop. Then I was having issues with the steam IP ID they were asking for. My profile has no specific ID and and they didn't like that. It would not take what I was entering. It was one of those things and believe me...not because of my ignorance...there were absolutely issues going on that were out of my control. I did get past all that muck and a ticket was finally submitted (after over 2 hours of messing around trying to do this).

Also just to reiterate my issues and frustration as well, not saying that the problem isn't something on my system, but its probably something that happened in the update and how it reacts with my system. Either way, the update caused the identification of the problem. I can't believe that the moment the update went in that I started having RAM issues or core issues, etc. 

All of this started the first time loading the game after the update...and I have a real hard time believing that Long load times (every time), the worst playtime speed (every time), lags opening every, and I mean every tab or menu item (every time) and crashes when I close the game out (every time) no matter what the size of the park have nothing to do with the update. As much strain as the game is currently putting, or at least seems to be putting on my system...it never crashes during game play...or more like game wait. :)

I tried everything everyone, and Frontier, recommended and nothing changed, except in some cases it got even worse. I'm not PC illiterate, or at least I don't believe I am, and as far as I can tell, everything is working correctly and as it was before the update.

I really hope they can help find out what the issue is because All the normal stuff just isn't making a change. I assume I will be going through all this again to no avail, but I will keep the group informed if any progress is made.

Shake and make up??? and seriously thanks for continually pushing me.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05 AM »

Wonder what is updated :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26 AM »
I was doing the best I could to escalate this officially but continually ran into issues. Seriously, they don't make it all that easy (at least IMO) to submit a ticket....understandably so as they would otherwise be swamped.

Yeah, the support page has some issues.  Most of it seems to be that it takes a while for a new account to percolate through the system.  But eventually it does and you're never bothered by that again.

As to your Steam ID, just go to your profile page, right-click, and copy the page URL same as when sharing a link to a blueprint.  Past that URL into the ticket box.

I finally was able to sub a ticket

Great!  I'm sure you'll get something useful out of this experience, even if it doesn't totally help.

Shake and make up??? and seriously thanks for continually pushing me.

Glad you're not totally pissed.  As I said, I'm not mad at you or anybody else personally, it's just that I want to help you all so badly.  But it's seemed like one of those nightmares where you see an impending or ongoing disaster happening to your friends and you're trying to warn them but they can't hear you.  Such things are only nightmares if you care about the victims.  So the only reason I got so frustrated is because I conciser you all friends and hate to see you all having problems.

Anyway, sorry for the outburst.  Please consider it "tough love" :D.

Wonder what is updated :)

As I didn't get this message, I'm going to guess it was some workshop item you have and I don't.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:29 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3608 on: January 21, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Wanted to provide an update here. They have been unable to help. After several back and forth emails and recommendations, they indicated that nothing was really wrong from what they could see with my set up and system and are blaming the issues on just having a park that too big...even though I have explained multiple times that the 'extreme' lag and specifically the opening of any UI tabs or setting started up after the update and they these issues still happen on a new, empty park. (they basically seem to be ignoring this last issue about the UI loading slowness). As far as the game crashing when closing...they said they don't have a solution to this yet. It took me like 4 hours to build a bridge today because of the lag (mostly the slow tab openings). My updates my be coming out really really slow and delayed going forward. Still not done yet, so I will update again later.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: January 21, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Wanted to provide an update here. They have been unable to help. After several back and forth emails and recommendations, they indicated that nothing was really wrong from what they could see with my set up and system and are blaming the issues on just having a park that too big...even though I have explained multiple times that the 'extreme' lag and specifically the opening of any UI tabs or setting started up after the update and they these issues still happen on a new, empty park. (they basically seem to be ignoring this last issue about the UI loading slowness). As far as the game crashing when closing...they said they don't have a solution to this yet. It took me like 4 hours to build a bridge today because of the lag (mostly the slow tab openings). My updates my be coming out really really slow and delayed going forward. Still not done yet, so I will update again later.

That's certainly disappointing.  Might want to open another ticket solely about the slow UI load even on a new, empty park, just to make sure they know what you're talking about.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3610 on: January 21, 2019, 03:38 PM »
I was thinking about that, but I have explained it in detail a few times now and provided screen shots, so its pretty clear in my opinion.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: January 21, 2019, 05:15 PM »
I was thinking about that, but I have explained it in detail a few times now and provided screen shots, so its pretty clear in my opinion.

Never underestimate the depth of a failure to communicate :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3612 on: January 24, 2019, 07:26 AM »
I have another update in case this may help others.

They had me validate all the Steam files for the game. I did it and everything for me was validated, so no effect or change.
Here is a link on how to do this.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Just another note. After I did and then tried to open the game up again...it took over 90 minutes to get past the Cobra screen. I swear...and I did swear.

Then they had me try a clean boot to see if anything else on my system was to blame...did that and nothing changed as far as game play either. here is a link on how to do this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

So, back to the drawing board.

« Reply #3613 on: January 24, 2019, 07:29 AM »
I also want to add that I have been running task manager a lot more to try and monitor and track what is going on when the game is off, on, idle, etc. I am starting to see a pattern that my GPU is really getting taxed during certain times of game play. I don't have the pattern yet, but I'm starting to think its my graphix card and something they changed in the last update is causing it not be a viable card anymore as far as power goes. I think I may invest in a new one later today and try it out to see what happens.

Part of my testing was also using different setting in the game...from all low to all high and mixes in between. I saw a slightly less strain on GPU when all settings were off or at their lowest, but I would have expected a much larger drop when I did this.

I also tested a full park and an empty part and the strain was about the same.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:32 AM by wowmanrct »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: January 24, 2019, 07:34 AM »
Well, sorry there's been no solution yet but at least you've eliminated a number of potential causes so are getting closer to finding the problem.

What vidcard do you have now and what do you plan to replace it with?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3615 on: January 24, 2019, 07:53 AM »
My kid is in the video game industry and he talked with his crew just to be sure. They are recommending a 1060 with 6gig ram. The one I have now has 2gig ram and I'm thinking thats the issue, even though this is within the recommended power needed (I believe). 

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: January 24, 2019, 08:26 AM »
"Hayo everyone, it's our 25th anniversary this month here at Frontier Developments and we want to celebrate it with you!!

If you can collectively lay down 25,000KM of rollercoaster track before 31 January 2019, everyone will unlock a brand new F25 Rollercoaster for free! Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2S97dAQ "

__

From the FB page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58 AM »
If you can collectively lay down 25,000KM of rollercoaster track before 31 January 2019, everyone will unlock a brand new F25 Rollercoaster for free! Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2S97dAQ "

Well, that sounds interesting :).  Let's do some math....

The standard map is 1000m square so 1 lap around the perimeter is a bit less than 4km (due to being just inside the edge, rounding off the corners, etc.).  So, we only have to make 6250 such laps to reach the goal.  At 20m per track section, 1 lap is about 200 pieces of track.  As realism is not a concern, laying this track is mostly just repetitive clicking of straight sections, so should go pretty fast.  If you can build 5 laps, that'll give nearly 1% of the total, so we only need about 1000 folks to do this ;).

Given that folks have build coasters hundreds of km long, it shouldn't be that much of a challenge for the community.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3618 on: January 27, 2019, 07:02 AM »
I have some questions about the poor performance topic.
I'm not really clear how files are kept and accessed in the game when using Steam, so excuse my ignorance on that part of this.

1. Does internet connection and speed maybe have something to do with this issue. Meaning are files accessed continually from Steam, during load and during game play? I don't think that's my issue as I clock very high download rates when I check, usually over 100-115. I will be going to fiber=optic soon and they are telling me it may even double from what I'm getting now.

2. Hard drive. Spinning drive vs. SSD. Also, do you think any improvement would happen if all the game files were saved on a dedicated SSD drive. Can we even save all game file exclusively on its own drive? I'm thinking some or all of the UI delays may be file access issues.

« Reply #3619 on: January 27, 2019, 09:39 AM »
I don't know, these performance issues are pretty perplexing. I don't have as fast an internet connection as you, and everything is on a spinning drive yet my performance has hardly been affected at all. I don't have a very beefy video card either and I can still play the game in 2k ultra wide resolution with pretty decent performance.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: January 27, 2019, 12:14 PM »
As I understand things, it works like this:

1.  The Game Itself
All the actual game files are on your HD, which comprise all the GBs you've had to download to play to the game.  Those don't get exchanged back and forth with Steam, but they do get copied from HD into RAM and GRAM continually. on an as-needed basis, as you play the game.  See, you never have all your memory available because Windows takes a big chunk, plus any background apps you're running, and the game itself needs some memory for calculations, not just storing data.

So anyway, the game is always accessing your HD to get what it needs at that moment.  This is a slower process than crunching numbers so it sometimes happens that the game has to wait on the disk I/O, which causes performance hits.  Especially if a background app is doing disk I/O so the game has to wait on that before it can do its own.  But the actual copying of data from HD to RAM/GRAM is highly hardware-dependent.

The more RAM you have (up to the max your system and/or the game can use), the more stuff it can hold at once, so the game doesn't have to load new stuff as often.  That's how increasing RAM increases performance, by reducing the need for slow disk I/O.  Then there's speed at which data can be read from your HD.  SSD is about as fast as RAM, way faster than traditional HDs (and more reliable) but modern HDs are plenty fast.  The real limitation to disk access speed is the size of the pipe between the HD and the rest of the system, which is generally determined by your motherboard.  The fastest HD in the world won't help you if the data can only flow at a slow speed due to your motherboard.

And then there are autosaves.  When these happen, the game has to stop everything it's down so it can take a snapshot of the whole park and then write that to the HD.  This is why you generally see a hiccup during an autsoave.

2.  Steam
Steam is a background app that's always using part of your system and doing its own disk I/O.  If you're offline, its effects are minimized because most of its performance-robbing features require a connection.  Steam does a lot of stuff, including but not limited to:

*  DRM checks.  This it can do offline.
*  Keeping track of what your friends are doing (requires connection).
*  Keeping track of achievements (if you're offline, it just saves this until you're next online, but that's disk I/O).
*  Running the whole overlay thing and all that implies if you have that enabled.
*  Keeping track of any updates available for all your games, and even downloading them in the background if you have that enabled.  That's a LOT of disk I/O there.
*  Keeping track of how much time you've played the game.
*  Recording various logs on your system that it will upload during post-game synching.  Some of these are for Steam's own purposes, some are set up by devs for troubleshooting (which is why Frontier wants your Steam profile page when you file a ticket).  But it's still a lot of background disk I/O either way.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3621 on: January 27, 2019, 02:08 PM »
So do you think a dedicated SSD drive would help?

I also have an update.

installed a new 1060 video card with 6gb ram. it gave me about 2 fps better than what I was getting and almost all 6gb of ram are being used for the game.

I also still have the delays opening tabs and saving, so That is why I was asking about the drives. My CPU seems to be ok (in the 65-70% range) when the game is playing.

Its just unbelievable how resource dependent this game is quickly becoming. Again...most of the delays I'm having isn't the FPS, but the stops when tabs open and saving etc. (my auto saves, and forced saves are taking about 3-5 mins...way more than a hiccup) even on small parks.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 27, 2019, 05:58 PM »
So do you think a dedicated SSD drive would help?

ONLY if 1) your motherboard can take advantage of it, AND 2) you're willing to reinstall EVERYTHING as if you'd bought a new computer or are recovering from an HD crash.

SSDs have 2 advantages over conventional HDs.  1)  they have no moving parts so are way less likely to fail than conventional HDs, and 2) they're essentially the same as RAM chips only bigger so have WAY faster access speeds than conventional HDs, but this is limited by the pipe between the SSD HD and the rest of the system.  So you should only consider this if your motherboard is can handle the speeds SSDs allow.

Your existing HD _IS_ your system.  The CPU is the muscle, the motherboard is the skeleton, the vidcard is the eyeballs, but the HD is the brain because it's where the OS lives.  This is why you can recover easily from all failures EXCEPT HD failures.  So, changing out your HD is NOT a trivial thing and is best accomplished by buying an entirely new system so everything in it can take proper advantage of the enhanced brain capacity.  The logistics of buying a new system and replacing your HD are exactly the same amount of pain but if you have a new system, you have better results afterwards.  If you're going to go through all that, just buy a new, modern computer.

installed a new 1060 video card with 6gb ram. it gave me about 2 fps better than what I was getting and almost all 6gb of ram are being used for the game.

The point of increasing GRAM is that it should be used.  So that's good.  But if this isn't improving your overall performance, it means you have bottlenecks elsewhere in your system, either between the vidcard and the rest of the system, or between the HD and the rest of the system. or not enough RAM, or not enough CPU.  Maybe there's some hardware setting that might improve things but, probably, its a systemic problem such as inadequate data pipes between all the parts.  You can't upgrade components in excess of what the motherboard can move.

Its just unbelievable how resource dependent this game is quickly becoming. Again...most of the delays I'm having isn't the FPS, but the stops when tabs open and saving etc. (my auto saves, and forced saves are taking about 3-5 mins...way more than a hiccup) even on small parks.

How old is your system?  Was it designed specifically for gaming or just as a general use PC?  Gaming PCs typically have the widest pipes between components while general use PCs typically have narrow pipes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:00 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3623 on: January 31, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Game update today, one new coaster and some minor fixes, nothing about performance or anything too significant from what I can tell.  These are the only notes that stood out to me:

"Improved upon an issue where video billboards would stutter during playback in complex parks" -- Fisherman, isn't this something you've been reporting for awhile?  I hope so.

"Due to valuable feedback, Position and Orientation of objects again uses the method used prior to 1.10. The newer mode can be selected in the game options under "Averaged Orientation in Advanced Move (Experimental)" -- I really haven't played much since 1.10 so never really got used to the new way of doing it, I guess this would be good for me. 

Anything else in the update notes that feels like a significant improvement for anyone?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: January 31, 2019, 09:37 AM »
Well, the 1.10 3D gizmo was certainly bad and I'm glad they've at least gone back to the old way.  (I hope, I haven't tested it yet).

No, I don't see anything else I was interested in, such as the BROKEN transport rides.  But I'm glad they fixed the video stutter for them as use videos ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: January 31, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Must say all Skies fixes are very welcome. That ride was buggy as hell... Will check it out after the weekend, but a brief summary of my issues;
People flew in the air (sitting animation while not in attraction)
Cables did not connect
Huge swinging when going up (read this one is fixed)
Bars opened two times in station and people left when it was closed again
People sat "in" other people (too many peeps in one cablecar)
The attraction was wayyyy too populair (not sure if that's a bug, but half of my visitors were heading to or in the queu)

Think I covered the most important bux, believe I missed some minor (:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 01, 2019, 06:06 AM »
I won't get a chance to play with this until tonight.

I never heard of most of the Skies issues they claim to have fixed (the clipping ones especially), and I've never had several of yours (the floating peeps, the peeps-in-peeps) although I've heard of those.  But I agree, it's good they worked on the excessive swinging at elevation changes.

I had not heard if they did anything about the double restraint movements.  It looks like whoever animated that made a single sequence of the complete cycle instead of breaking into separate opening and closing movements.  This makes me think the person who did that is new to the coaster genre as none of the other rides do that :)

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3627 on: February 12, 2019, 03:44 PM »
After many attempts at different resets and downloads and stuff, my lag stuff still has not changed. So the next thing we are going to try to see if it fixes my playtime issues is to uninstall and reinstall the game on a separate dedicated drive. I only have a HHD right now (but I really want to try this on a SSD). They told me what to move/backup, but I have undulating fear that I'm about to lose everything. Anyone out there care to make any other recommendations on what to backup and what I may be missing here?Here is what I'm being told to back up as a safety measure, even though they are telling me a reinstall will not wipe the parks out. I'm going to attempt this a bit later this evening.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: February 12, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Back up your saves folder - it contains all your game save files and blueprints.  But also back up your User Media and User Music folders.  Seems like they are really grasping at straws...which is terrifying since so many of us are having the same issues. 

I just timed 2 minutes and 17 seconds to open the Building menu during normal game play.

« Reply #3629 on: February 12, 2019, 04:50 PM »
After many attempts at different resets and downloads and stuff, my lag stuff still has not changed. So the next thing we are going to try to see if it fixes my playtime issues is to uninstall and reinstall the game on a separate dedicated drive. I only have a HHD right now (but I really want to try this on a SSD). They told me what to move/backup, but I have undulating fear that I'm about to lose everything. Anyone out there care to make any other recommendations on what to backup and what I may be missing here?Here is what I'm being told to back up as a safety measure, even though they are telling me a reinstall will not wipe the parks out. I'm going to attempt this a bit later this evening.
Sorry - didn't include this, but this is what they told me

Your game saved files is stored at C:\Users\%username%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster by default.