Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3747 replies
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3630 on: February 12, 2019, 04:52 PM »
I also thought of and tried to save the parks on the workshop, but they are failing...something about a content issue, so I'm note sure what it is...never saw this before.

« Reply #3631 on: February 12, 2019, 06:13 PM »
I just updated Fisherman's bug thread with the following:

I took a couple months off from the game and went back to it over the last couple of days. What I'm noticing now is this:
1) The game crashes on exit EVERY TIME. This seems to be new since the last time I played. Not a deal breaker since I was exiting the game anyway.
2) The TMTK menu doesn't seem to be caching it's icons; that menu takes forever to load every time, even if I was just in it a few seconds earlier.
3) My in-game framerate has improved very slightly since what it was right after the TMTK update in November, but it's nothing like what it was prior to that.

I've been seeing a lot of recent posts by concerned players in that thread but no recent responses from Frontier, in fact I don't think they've added a response since they told us this was fixed back in December.  I'm really trying to give them the benefit here (partly because I was starting to get bored not playing the game :P) but this is frustrating, especially because we had a game that for the most part worked JUST FINE until they decided to let people make their own stuff.  And what they're doing with wowman making him re-install...  just wow.  Man. 

EDIT, something else I noticed that didn't mention in the bug report... the auto-save seems to be much more intrustive than it used to be, like you'll get knocked out of what you were doing for a few seconds until the save is finished.   But I also haven't had an advanced move crash (yet) in the last two days, so maybe we're trading one thing for a lesser issue there.  Anybody else notice that?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:17 PM by JPAlmighT »

« Reply #3632 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22 PM »
I just updated Fisherman's bug thread with the following:

I took a couple months off from the game and went back to it over the last couple of days. What I'm noticing now is this:
1) The game crashes on exit EVERY TIME. This seems to be new since the last time I played. Not a deal breaker since I was exiting the game anyway.
2) The TMTK menu doesn't seem to be caching it's icons; that menu takes forever to load every time, even if I was just in it a few seconds earlier.
3) My in-game framerate has improved very slightly since what it was right after the TMTK update in November, but it's nothing like what it was prior to that.

I've been seeing a lot of recent posts by concerned players in that thread but no recent responses from Frontier, in fact I don't think they've added a response since they told us this was fixed back in December.  I'm really trying to give them the benefit here (partly because I was starting to get bored not playing the game :P) but this is frustrating, especially because we had a game that for the most part worked JUST FINE until they decided to let people make their own stuff.  And what they're doing with wowman making him re-install...  just wow.  Man. 

EDIT, something else I noticed that didn't mention in the bug report... the auto-save seems to be much more intrustive than it used to be, like you'll get knocked out of what you were doing for a few seconds until the save is finished.   But I also haven't had an advanced move crash (yet) in the last two days, so maybe we're trading one thing for a lesser issue there.  Anybody else notice that?
Welcome to club...what you describe is right on, except a slight increase in performance and most others have gone down. My autosaves lock me up for several minutes. Build time is way slow right now with all the waiting I do. I will work on the reinstall soon and test it and report back later.

« Reply #3633 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Well...here we go. I've just about had it with this game. I was like the number 1 advocate...but now....

the uninstall whacked everything, including all my TMT items, so my Renee Feu park is decimated right now. Still working on seeing if re-selecting everything will repopulate, but this could take me days. Also, if I have to rebuild all this stuff..I may just quit all together - not having a good feeling or having fun right now.

My initial open of the park findings are:
FPS - no improvement
Reloading again right now to see if the UI tabs work better with no TMT items loaded (now that they have all been whacked).
BTW - I did copy them to a completely different folder and somehow the uninstall still found them and deleted them.
All the park file were still out there and all my user files (for billboards were also still out there)

« Reply #3634 on: February 12, 2019, 08:09 PM »
One other tidbit. even with no TMT items in the folder...its been over 45 minutes so far to get past the Cobra screen...and still waiting

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: February 13, 2019, 03:22 AM »
So frustrating.  Your Renee Feu park was fabulous.  I wish Frontier would provide a way to go back to 1.8 for those having all this fps lag trouble.

« Reply #3636 on: February 13, 2019, 05:41 AM »
One other tidbit. even with no TMT items in the folder...its been over 45 minutes so far to get past the Cobra screen...and still waiting
After 2 hours it was late and I had to can it to go to bed. I will try again today

« Reply #3637 on: February 13, 2019, 07:12 AM »
I have an update and now even more confused.
-last night I shit-canned the load after 2 hours of waiting to get past the Cobra screen
-today tried again and the game loaded after 'only' 30 minutes of the Cobra screen
- opened the same park as last night
- and somehow all the TMT stuff was back. Something I also didn't mention yesterday was that it was not only TMT itmes that were gone...there in game rocks, water features, glass items etc. that were also gone
-so I'm trying to figure out how this is happening. I double checked and both the original TMT folder and where I backed them up too are still empty.
-where is everything now - I don't know.
-also the reinstall I did on the new drive only seems to have some Steam stuff, but no game attributes

All said and done...I still have bad lag and actually zooming around the park seems even more jerky now than ever, and the UI tab opens are still long and delayed as they were, and the game still crashes on an exit.

I reported all this to support, so we shall see where it goes next.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: February 13, 2019, 02:57 PM »
I'm so sorry, man.  I had a bad feeling about it when you said they wanted you to reinstall.  And I knew it would not work.  I just cannot believe they did not test all of this stuff thoroughly before each release.  I mean...sideways log flume boats and Cascade coaster cars?  Upside down flying turns coaster cars?  And all of this stuff...bleh.  I just want my old Planco back.   :'(

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: February 13, 2019, 04:24 PM »
That all sounds horrible.

I haven't touched Planco since before these many problem reports here.
Right now I am making big plans for future projects, but this makes me all very insecure about whether I will be able to use the game at all. Can't wait to return to my Windows PC to see whether I'm affected too.

Or is everyone affected? Is that the reason why it's even more quiet here on SGW in the new year?
I really hope they can get the game back to work as it should. I'm afraid this affects the community even further :(

« Reply #3640 on: February 21, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Just another update on my struggles with the game. When I open the game the previous loaded TMT items are in the game and I can select them...but the items are not in the folders (not the original folder or the new one I created on the new drive). SO where the game is finding them...your guess is as good as mine. I also added a few new items and those too can't be found. Support doesn't know where else they might be either.

AS far as making progress in better loading of the menus, etc. They have basically told me to remove the TMT items and not use any. I said I would not do that as it would mess up weeks of work I have done in my parks. I also said if this is a feature they added to the game it should be working properly and causing these issues.

So basically, I don't this is going to get fixed.

« Reply #3641 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Just another update on my struggles with the game. When I open the game the previous loaded TMT items are in the game and I can select them...but the items are not in the folders (not the original folder or the new one I created on the new drive). SO where the game is finding them...your guess is as good as mine. I also added a few new items and those too can't be found. Support doesn't know where else they might be either.

AS far as making progress in better loading of the menus, etc. They have basically told me to remove the TMT items and not use any. I said I would not do that as it would mess up weeks of work I have done in my parks. I also said if this is a feature they added to the game it should be working properly and causing these issues.

So basically, I don't this is going to get fixed.
So the weird thing about this now is...that the support group is telling me to abandon all my TMT items totally, and earlier today they officially announce that the next update in a couple weeks will be addressing these issues? Left not talking to the right here?

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: February 23, 2019, 03:43 AM »
Chante posted on the Official PC Forums...

We will be releasing quality of life updates that we hope will improve the game for everyone, specifically loading times and Thememaker's Toolkit issues. If you still have problems after, we are completely dedicated to making the game more enjoyable for everyone through the quality of life updates! We are looking at an early March window for this update, but we will have more on this soon for you all!

Great to hear they are addressing the load time and TMT issues.  I'm hoping they'll also take a crack at some of the other outstanding issues that crop up for some people, and even some lesser game play issues some have, but fix the load time issue for opening menus would go a long ways towards making the general lag in large parks more bearable if it can't be identified and fixed...

Offline AUS_Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: February 23, 2019, 04:56 AM »
Be interesting to see the results if Denuvo was removed from PC as I remember very clearly once that was added later on in the Alpha / Beta the game took a lot longer to load into the menu and loading parks.

I mentioned this in a FB group at the time and everyone was all hush hush about it, definitely not the first or last time copy protection has screwed over legit players.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: February 23, 2019, 07:35 AM »
I will believe it when I see it.  I fully expect them to announce it and release it without testing it only to realize it doesn't work...and then we'll wait 3 more months for another attempt.  Me?  Bitter?   >:(  Oh...and in the mean time the Ferris wheels will all be sideways, and the water will be pink...and Miss Ellie and King Coaster will walk upside down....and all the blue things in our parks will be orange.   :w00t:

Nah...let's all hope for the best.  They know they've frustrated their main cool kid fanbase so they know how serious this is and how much it affects them making money.

« Reply #3645 on: February 23, 2019, 07:56 AM »
I will believe it when I see it.  I fully expect them to announce it and release it without testing it only to realize it doesn't work...and then we'll wait 3 more months for another attempt.  Me?  Bitter?   >:(  Oh...and in the mean time the Ferris wheels will all be sideways, and the water will be pink...and Miss Ellie and King Coaster will walk upside down....and all the blue things in our parks will be orange.   :w00t:

Nah...let's all hope for the best.  They know they've frustrated their main cool kid fanbase so they know how serious this is and how much it affects them making money.
Don't forget sideways water ride vehicles

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Don't forget sideways water ride vehicles

well...we already have those.  ha ha.

« Reply #3647 on: February 24, 2019, 05:08 AM »
I haven't touched Planco since before these many problem reports here.
Right now I am making big plans for future projects, but this makes me all very insecure about whether I will be able to use the game at all. Can't wait to return to my Windows PC to see whether I'm affected too.

There are a lot of issues right now, but they are sporadic and people are all experiencing a different combination (if any) of the issues being reported.  When I first loaded up my park after the break the peeps WERE in fact riding backwards on a couple of rides, but after stopping the rides and restarting them that seemed to go away quickly.

A lot of annoying stuff, but not all of the issues are game-breakers.  My advice is to load up your park or start anew depending on how far along you were, and just see what your experience is.  Newer and smaller parks shouldn't have the severe lag.  I've got some lag in mine (although it is kind of a big park, but I did some testing and it doesn't seem related to how much if any TMTK content I subscribe to or use.  Therefore I'm still subscribing to everything I want.)  But the long game loading time has NOT affected me (yet), and most of my menus load normally except for the TMTK menu, that thing is a little bitch because it seems to struggle with generating the icons.   I am able to build as much as I want, for hours even, without issue.  I'm just not letting in any peeps for now.

I'm kind of anti-Frontier at the moment, but they did fix the advanced move/alignment thing and I can also say I haven't had any of the advanced move crashes in a couple of weeks, I think maybe they knew the auto-save was a major cause and did some tweaking with that.  I agree with Fisherman that they know the community is upset (take a glance through the comments at all of their recent facebook postings  :o) so I think that even if they wanted to or were planning to walk away from the game now they have no choice but to get it fixed if they want to save their new little franchise.  Just my thoughts.  But anyway, give it a shot because I love your RCT3 work and really want to see what you can do with this game when it's working.

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #3648 on: February 24, 2019, 11:45 AM »
I just recently got back into this. I have maybe about 25-30 TMT objects from the community. My loading screen is about 3-4 minutes which when you think about it, is pretty insane (some people reported a half hour).  I was getting 15 minutes hanging on the Cobra screen last week, until I removed about 15 TMT objects. Like everyone else, the TMT icons fills in frustratingly-slow, even sometimes, just going back to it in the same session. What's annoying me most is, while I do some 3d modeling, I have PLC idle in the background, with a practically empty sandbox in order to test objects without reloading the whole game. It crashes randomly, on its own, while I'm not even touching it. This happens at least 1-2 times an evening. Also, upon quitting, there's another long wait time, and then it crashes with the Frontier crash report window (this is everytime). 

I really hope they address a lot of these issues in March. It's a shame, because there's a number of excellent TMT entries, but it comes down to having to delete some you have,  in order to accommodate new ones in fear of crashing/slow down.

« Reply #3649 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20 AM »
IS anyone else experiencing weird Steam stuff lately with PC? It seems like it wants to do an update every time I try opening the game now (through the Steam portal). I f I just try opening it from my desktop...when trying to open my park it says that the park is missing subscribed items and I have to reload...which never stops reloading. I have to kill the game, update Steam, and launch from Steam, and it all works fine?

This may have something to do with the Support group having me move stuff around trying to fix my problems...as I can't find any of my downloaded items in a folder anymore...anywhere on my drives. But, when I play that park...they are all there. Very Strange.

« Reply #3650 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26 AM »
IS anyone else experiencing weird Steam stuff lately with PC? It seems like it wants to do an update every time I try opening the game now (through the Steam portal). I f I just try opening it from my desktop...when trying to open my park it says that the park is missing subscribed items and I have to reload...which never stops reloading. I have to kill the game, update Steam, and launch from Steam, and it all works fine?

This may have something to do with the Support group having me move stuff around trying to fix my problems...as I can't find any of my downloaded items in a folder anymore...anywhere on my drives. But, when I play that park...they are all there. Very Strange.
Also want to mention that when this happens, I can't even open Steam without rebooting. Its like my connection to Steam is getting corrupted or something. After a reboot all seems to work normal.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: February 27, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Believe those updates are when a TMT item has been updated. So the more object you have, the more likely you get updates everytime. Though not 100% sure....

« Reply #3652 on: March 04, 2019, 06:55 AM »
So, here is some interesting info on game lag and optimization.

My son, who works for a pretty major game software development company did some testing for me. He had his tech/PC expert load PlanCo on a few of their top rated machines they use.

He said the first one was a PC that had over $5000 of stuff put into it.
5820k i7,  1060 graphics card, 32 gig RAM.

He tested using my huge Star Wars park, which has no TMT items in it. They also did not download ant TMT items.
The park was still running at a max of 12 fps. The UI tabs were also delayed, about 2 minutes or so to open and populate.
He said the cpu seemed to be performing fine, but the gpu was maxed out.

The then tested on a even better machine, with a 1080 gpu. The fps went up a couple frames, the gpu was not maxed out as much, but was still working hard, and the UI menus were still lagged.

They were also asking about if we could build and then load building, etc as a single piece instead of all the thousands of smaller pieces as they convinced that would improve game play. I explained that this has come up in discussions and basically we were told it really doesn't matter...but (with their limited exposure to how this game works), they still didn't believe this. They also asked about DX12.

Funny how the same things come up from people that are new to these challenges..but even more amazing on how a very powerful machine being run by someone that  for all intents can be called an expert in what he does, still couldn't make it any better.

« Reply #3653 on: March 04, 2019, 09:59 AM »
So what I'm hearing is that Frontier broke something that now even the most powerful desktop can't handle.  And they haven't fixed it in over three months and continue to downplay the issue.

But thanks for the update, now I know there's no point going out and investing in a stronger computer.  Which is good, because $5000 seems a bit steep.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:40 AM by JPAlmighT »

« Reply #3654 on: March 04, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Thats what it sounds like. Lets see what happens in this next update.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: March 04, 2019, 02:03 PM »
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/35808-Multiple-reports-of-random-crashes-and-freezes-since-last-update

This topic concerned me a bit about the freezes and crashes...
This specific person fixed it with updating the drivers (glad for 'im), but the last post looks to me like: "Okay, after all there is no issue". Though more people are experiencing it (almost everyone)...

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: March 04, 2019, 09:00 PM »
We'll just have to see what Frontier's so-called "Quality of Life" patch will do...

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: March 05, 2019, 03:46 AM »
So...the patch dropped...but...

NO improvements noticed for me in my game this morning.  Menus still take 2 minutes and 17 seconds to open.  I'm not impressed, Frontier.  They didn't address the main problem builders of large parks are experiencing.  Wowmanrct, are you still experiencing this in your big parks?

« Reply #3658 on: March 05, 2019, 05:02 AM »
I was just about to post asking if anybody knew when the "QOL update" [cough] was coming out.  I guess now I get to fire it up and see if my life quality improves.  Be back in a bit. 

Edit #1: 

TMTK menu icons are showing up as soon as I open the menu, and my other menus seems to be populating with their icons quickly as well.

The extremely intrusive auto-save glitch is still there, but then the patch notes didn't mention anything about trying to fix that.  It's annoying but I'm convinced it's the reason I haven't had any advanced move crashes in a couple weeks, they're freezing you from doing anything in the second before an auto-save fires off so that the two tasks don't have to compete anymore.  (totally a theory)

Somehow I was able to never really have a big issue with game and park loading times, so that's something I can't really test.

FPS seems entirely unimproved, maybe even a few frames slower when unpaused.  I'm getting 8-9 unpaused, 15-ish when paused.  It's bearable for building but horrible for making videos.

Only other thing I can think to test is seeing if the game still crashes on every exit.  That one wasn't really detrimental to my builds so I'm not overly in a rush to test it.  Just a mild annoyance at best.

I will note here that PPII is significantly smaller at this stage than either Kaleidoscope Piers or Star Wars Land, so the limited success I've reported probably has a lot to do with that.  The frame drops since TMTK was added was the biggest remaining bug in this game and it still has not been fixed or improved.

The best news I can give is that I haven't noticed any new bad things (yet) and nothing seems to be any worse than before (yet.)  My heart breaks that the big park builders aren't getting any noticeable relief because those seem to be the projects I enjoy seeing the most :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:03 AM by JPAlmighT »

« Reply #3659 on: March 05, 2019, 05:37 AM »
So...the patch dropped...but...

NO improvements noticed for me in my game this morning.  Menus still take 2 minutes and 17 seconds to open.  I'm not impressed, Frontier.  They didn't address the main problem builders of large parks are experiencing.  Wowmanrct, are you still experiencing this in your big parks?
I will do some testing later today and report back