Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3766 replies

Offline Chems

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #2430 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Nope you still can't... :no:

I hoped they'd fix the segment minimum lenght as well, as the flume and suspended are stuck with 10m sections, and dark-rides still either 4 or 8. They said minimum lenght are related to chassis or who-knows-what, but that's just wrong and annoying.

But anyway, I sound negative but I love these updates. I mean, they are free and they fix things, slowly but surely. Just remember the alpha and see what we got - not much content-wise, tho (except for scenery).

I love the X-car, very versatile!

Oh yeah I completely agree. The free updates have been pretty good, even if you don't particular care about their content. It's just that they often don't address the small issues people have with the game. That's why the change to the Tiamat makes me so happy. Frontier didn't even list it in the patch notes! It can feel a bit mean to point out flaws while they just released they biggest patch yet. But ultimately this feedback will result in a better game.

About the coaster restrictions.. It's one of those things that make me go 'Frontier why......'. Their argument for these restrictions is 'realism', which imho, is a stupid argument. I can make a coaster that will crush the guests to death while heavily clipping through itself in a matter of seconds. The only thing these restrictions 'succeed' at is restrict those who want more control to create better and more realistic coasters.

But hey, once they are done with the no-collision implementation (only paths to go!) I am sure coaster restrictions will be next on the list. At least I hope so!

The x-car is awesome, but at the same time I hate it. It should have been a Mack Mega..  :n00b:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:48 PM by Chems »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 27, 2017, 04:37 PM »
With this update, came the ability to add no clipping to the camera. Now you can go underground and find/select/remove any objects you've buried and could no longer access. You can also get a creepy view of the underside of your park. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #2432 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50 PM »
So... they didn't fix the track length issue. *sigh* Better luck next time I guess.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: June 27, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I don't see why the couldn't have just used something like the mixmaster timeline from RCT3. Just looking at the display sequencer UI is scaring me away from using it.

Offline Xol

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: June 27, 2017, 07:10 PM »
Yep. I'm seeing lots of complaints about how poorly implemented the Fireworks "mixmaster" is. Sam Denney's "demonstration" of it in the last stream was horrific, as he stumbled and mumbled throughout it. More disappointments. >:(
If I'm being honest, Frontier either needs a better person to demo a lot of the content or he needs to be a lot more prepared. Beyond the fireworks section, the amount of times he's waving the camera around like crazy & zooming in and out (sometimes accidentally displaying the wrong things), rambles, or is unsure of the answers to basic questions makes the streams a bit hard to watch. I think there have been times when he was really good, but for a lot of the last stream he seemed a bit frazzled and all over the place.
Partner @ Curse
Game Developer, Digital Artist
----
My Twitter:
https://twitter.com/MCXolova

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: June 27, 2017, 07:15 PM »
If I'm being honest, Frontier either needs a better person to demo a lot of the content or he needs to be a lot more prepared. Beyond the fireworks section, the amount of times he's waving the camera around like crazy & zooming in and out (sometimes accidentally displaying the wrong things), rambles, or is unsure of the answers to basic questions makes the streams a bit hard to watch. I think there have been times when he was really good, but for a lot of the last stream he seemed a bit frazzled and all over the place.

If I recall he was pretty sick the day before.
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59 AM »
Woohoo curved screen!

Yes it works perfectly, and yes it's as nasty as it sounds. Sorry for the dull and crooky border, tho.

It's really easy to make: Copy, paste, rotate, pull (with related axis), repeat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:41 AM by R-Furz »

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2437 on: June 28, 2017, 02:47 AM »
i never watch the Frontier Streams, i dont know but alwayse when i watch the streams for me it looks childish, so much bla bla and not really showing the new stuff, or just kiddie style (sry that iam that harsh) i watched the first streams back in the days (haha) but after that i quit watching them..
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: June 28, 2017, 03:21 AM »
i never watch the Frontier Streams, i dont know but alwayse when i watch the streams for me it looks childish, so much bla bla and not really showing the new stuff, or just kiddie style (sry that iam that harsh) i watched the first streams back in the days (haha) but after that i quit watching them..
Well you must realise that they want to attract as big of an audience as possible, not only SGW coaster nerds  :P
I am sure there are many people out there who just build the most ridiculous rides with as much fire and fireworks around it as possible and that's also what makes this game so great, you can choose how you want to play it. You don't have to follow the rules and go 100% realistic, but if you want to, you can do that as well.

With their streams I think they try to please as many people as possible, but of course you can't always please everybody. I think it's already quite special that they stream like this and have such a connection with the community. I've honestly never experienced a connection like this between devs of a game and the community. Many publishers and developers (I'm looking at you, Paradox) could learn something from the way frontier interacts with their audience and listens to what they want.

Woohoo curved screen!

Spoiler (hover to show)

Yes it works perfectly, and yes it's as nasty as it sounds. Sorry for the dull and crooky border, tho.

It's really easy to make: Copy, paste, rotate, pull (with related axis), repeat.
That's such a neat idea! I'm sure I'll make some Imax theatres using that technique eventually. The only problem is that the guests don't see billboards as an attraction, so nobody would come into a building just to watch a screen, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Also, do you think it would be possible to make 180 or 360 degrees screens like in the Simpsons ride at Universal? Or would you have to split the video up into multiple different videos and use that technique multiple times? I haven't really tried too much yet with the screens because I'm very busy learning for tests at the moment.

One thing I just noticed while playing around with the billboard flags is that you have to be very careful with videos! They may crash your game. I had 4 flags with a video of a waving flag on them (which looks quite good I think) but my fps dropped from 60 to 1 whenever I wanted to look at them. So don't make your videos very high resolution or very long!

Edit: Only happens if you use multiple different videos. Not if you use the same video on all flags.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:01 AM by Dazzyls »

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35 AM »

Just spotted in the patch notes that these pieces are now re-colourable which is nice.

Also noticed while checking stuff out these roof pieces now have little white caps... anyone else also getting this? This is a bug right?

Re: the update generally - I was really hyped for yesterday, getting the update and getting my Summer Competition entry in and then the whole black windows thing really soured the day for me. Along with the billboards having this odd kind of washed out appearance that lots of people are observing, the things I was keen for have been a bit of a let down. I'm trying not to be too down on the free update which I'm ultimately grateful for, but I share some other folks' disappointment at which things get fixed/implemented when these updates come around. I feel the billboards are quite a big thing to implement so there will probably be a bit of a grace period as the devs and community work out the best way to format media so it looks great in game. The asphalt path texture is a nice addition but there's something slightly off about it. Conversely, the fireworks - which I honestly couldn't have given two sh*ts about before the update - are actually pretty fun to play around with. The display sequencer requires way too much thinking about numbers but you can get some pretty stunning results. Also excited for the new invert being able to do full circuits although it has various bugs at the moment that they're hopefully working to resolve... after a deflating launch day, I'm looking forward to all the awesome ideas in the new features being discovered over the coming days/weeks/etc.

Offline Chems

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: June 28, 2017, 05:55 AM »
ashore, one of the Planet Coaster devs posted some very interesting information about billboards regarding performance and tech used:
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/25214-Summer-Update-How-to-use-Billboards/page4?p=196365#post196365

Offline Dazzyls

• View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17 AM »

They fixed some of the stuff we were complaining about!  ;D

« Reply #2442 on: June 28, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Make sure when you save your images (assuming your in Photoshop) that you do save as, and then save as JPG. If you save for the web, it will dull the colors. I think this might help, I could be wrong!

« Reply #2443 on: June 28, 2017, 01:06 PM »

Oh yeah I completely agree. The free updates have been pretty good, even if you don't particular care about their content. It's just that they often don't address the small issues people have with the game. That's why the change to the Tiamat makes me so happy. Frontier didn't even list it in the patch notes! It can feel a bit mean to point out flaws while they just released they biggest patch yet. But ultimately this feedback will result in a better game.
Yeah, the two things that made me the happiest from this update were things that weren't advertised. I was a bit frustrated with the implementation of the new coasters. I jokingly said to myself "Haha, I wonder if they fixed the Tiamat." I go to check it and, astonishingly, I saw the new curved lift end piece. Not exactly what I was hoping for when I wanted the lift on the Tiamat fixed, but it looks beautiful, and makes the coaster much more usable now. (Just need to add a single spine segment, make the spines thicker, and remove the track limits and I'll be happy with the Tiamat). After seeing this, I wondered if there was any other secret things that they changed. I immediately went to look at one of the other things that had been bugging me; the trains on the Malice Unchained. They were finally recolorable. This also gave me a bit of excitement. Now, if only instead of making a single piece of wood on the optional catwalk recolorable, they would have given us the ability to color the rails individually. (like The Joker at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)

About the coaster restrictions.. It's one of those things that make me go 'Frontier why......'. Their argument for these restrictions is 'realism', which imho, is a stupid argument. I can make a coaster that will crush the guests to death while heavily clipping through itself in a matter of seconds. The only thing these restrictions 'succeed' at is restrict those who want more control to create better and more realistic coasters.

But hey, once they are done with the no-collision implementation (only paths to go!) I am sure coaster restrictions will be next on the list. At least I hope so!
Yeah, I'm a bit upset about it, too. Especially after Sam Denney showed off the Degen using a 4 meter track segment on the livestream. It was too good to be true. I went back and looked at the livestream the other day. It turns out that he showed off the lift hill segment, not the normal track segment. It seemed odd to me that the normal track on the Degen was 8 meters while other segments on it went down to 4. Then I took a look at the Bolt. Four meter minimum segment length for the standard track. I saw how lazily (Sorry to the people working on PC, but it's true) the Degen and Bolt were made. The Degen was just the Trident with some code from the American Arrow slapped onto it, and the Bolt was the other way around.

Also, if they were so concerned about "articulation and realism", why does the Thalette blueprint still exist in-game/was there to begin with? Track limits is mostly hurting people who want to build realistic coasters. If others want to build unrealistic coasters; let them. Planet Coaster is a game, after all, and all track/segment limits do is suck the fun out of the game for all.

The x-car is awesome, but at the same time I hate it. It should have been a Mack Mega..  :n00b:

Yeah, I like it and hate it, too. Segment length, the lack of block brakes, I wish we could scale the tower section; I also wish we could color the metal part of the trains (the only part you can color right now is the back side of the seats).
Mack Megas would be nice, let's just hope they don't put track limits on them. :P

On a side note, what do people think of the new heatmap system? Honestly, it is just destroying my will to play PC right now. I miss the old system where it would show the data from the current run and the previous run at the same time. Also, having to switch back to previous run data every time I go between Vertical G's, Lateral G's, Excitement, etc. is really annoying.

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15 AM »

Anyone noticed these in the update  :scared: :love: ???

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2445 on: July 06, 2017, 05:37 AM »
wtf is this? o.O

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 06, 2017, 05:52 AM »
wtf is this? o.O

Ping pong ;)

Actually, it's scaffolding, but I'm sure it will be more often used for ping pong tables
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:54 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2447 on: July 06, 2017, 05:58 AM »

Ping pong ;)

Actually, it's scaffolding, but I'm sure it will be more often used for ping pong tables

ahahhahaa now i see what you mean :D

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 06, 2017, 06:01 AM »

Ping pong ;)

Genius!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 06, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Anyone noticed these in the update  :scared: :love: ???
Yes. They showed these off in the livestream.

Did anyone discover the new metal Western-themed editable signs? They snuck those in. (unless I just never noticed them)

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 06, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Yes. They showed these off in the livestream.

Did anyone discover the new metal Western-themed editable signs? They snuck those in. (unless I just never noticed them)

I did notice those! The small ones are AMAZING, since they are legit smal... I wish they would have sneaked in more scenery items though :/

« Reply #2451 on: July 06, 2017, 10:48 AM »
That scenery piece is scaffolding to hold billboards/screens

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 06, 2017, 10:37 PM »
I love the new smaller metal signs.... But I wish we had even smaller signs.  Heck... I wish we had smaller versions of lots of things in the game.   Everything seems disproportionately large compared to the peeps.    Giant 12 foot doorways and stuff... Hmmmph

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Yeah, signs being too big is one of my biggest complaints. The road signs might work for fast-moving go karts but they make paths look tiny.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09 PM »
I love the new smaller metal signs.... But I wish we had even smaller signs.  Heck... I wish we had smaller versions of lots of things in the game.   Everything seems disproportionately large compared to the peeps.    Giant 12 foot doorways and stuff... Hmmmph

I totally agree,  That said, it's quite possible to make more peep-sized doors with the art shapes and small detail parts.  And that's now even more possible with the smaller billboards thrown in.  It's actually simpler than making a pimped-out dome.  But OTOH, it's a pain compared to having stock parts the correct size to begin with.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Dazzyls

• View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 07, 2017, 07:37 AM »
...Or an observation tower as tall as a skyscraper...

Actually, wouldn't a 3m grid have been more realistic for making stuff suit the height of the guests? Because a lot of stuff that's 4m in PC would barely be 3m irl. (Small ticket booths, normal walls, etc.)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 07, 2017, 07:54 AM »
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!  Frontier did it again.  They changed the shape of parts that've been in the game 6 months and were used for many purposes.  The new shape makes the parts useless for many things we used to do with them  :mad:

I refer to the snowman's bowties.  They originally were a nice, flat dogbone shape, which not only looked more like a bowtie, but could be used to make all sorts of scenery, ESPECIALLY T-shirts in gift shops.  But now they split the things and made them more 3D, so they look like bow ribbons on packages.

The new shape does have its uses, but PLEASE don't change stuff that's already in the game.  Make a new friggin' part.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 07, 2017, 10:33 AM »
YUP!!!  My sea serpent's tongue and eyelashes did the same thing...I looked at her and suddenly she was tongue-tied!  Ha ha!

And I had used the santa hats to make the giant bolts on my Polaris coaster structure.  They used to have a perfectly smooth sphere for the ball on top.  Now it's a lumpy blob...so all my bolts look like asteroids full of craters now.   :mad:up:

...Or an observation tower as tall as a skyscraper...

Actually, wouldn't a 3m grid have been more realistic for making stuff suit the height of the guests? Because a lot of stuff that's 4m in PC would barely be 3m irl. (Small ticket booths, normal walls, etc.)

Yeah...I recall them mentioning that decision in one of the early videos.  I don't know why they picked 4m over 3m.  Most US buildings have 8 or 9-foot ceilings...NOT 12 or 13-foot ceilings.  I mean people are only 6 feet tall!  ha ha!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:38 AM by Fisherman »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Yeah...I recall them mentioning that decision in one of the early videos.  I don't know why they picked 4m over 3m.  Most US buildings have 8 or 9-foot ceilings...NOT 12 or 13-foot ceilings.  I mean people are only 6 feet tall!  ha ha!
They did it for aesthetic reasons. They decided taller, oversized buildings looked better than realistically scaled buildings. ::)

Offline Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44 AM »
i gotta be honest, the disappointment over summer update has finally struck me... Realistically, we wont be seeing a major patch until late september I guess, which will either feature halloween stuff, or more american thanksgiving stuff with turkeys etc. Could also be a mixture of both... But that seems so far from here. The new patch basically added like nothing new scenery or building materials, which is what usually inspires me the most. The fences from spring update was such a gamechanger imo, they are used for so many things, and can really make a park look good... I know, billboards and fireworks are great, but i'm having the "is that all?" feeling at the moment :/