Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread

• 3747 replies

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Official Planet Coaster Discussion Thread
« Reply #3660 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57 AM »
After updating my video card just now, menu load times improved, but only by 15 seconds or so.   :(

« Reply #3661 on: March 05, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Instead of editing my original report I'll post a new reply so it stays chronological.

Looks like I might have spoke too soon on my framerate comments, I posted those within the first ten minutes of loading the game.  After building for a couple of hours, I just rode a couple of rides (at night, one coaster and a dark ride.)  My FPS on both occasionally went as low as 9, but it averaged at 12-13 and at times went as high as 17.   That might actually be compatible with what I was getting before the November update.

First time in 2 months I was able to exit my game without a crash.  They seem to have fixed something there.

AMD doesn't have any driver updates at this time, but I'm ok with that.  In fact, now I'm afraid to change anything.  I'm also still afraid to let any peeps into this park.

Fisherman, since KP is so big, if you want me to get you a copy of PPII to compare framerates with you're welcome to it.  Only problem is it may make you subscribe to a whole bunch of TMTK content :(

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: March 05, 2019, 08:35 AM »
The Cobra screen loaded quickly (I don't have much TMT stuff downloaded anyways, but it was quicker than before this update...).  The game file loaded a little faster.  I had fraps running and the speed when loading seems improved...still a few times when it basically froze or was in low single digits, but much of the rest of the time it was hitting 62-66 fps.

Upon the game file opening I saw an improvement with 15-16 fps paused (no peeps) and I thought 'this is great!', but I noticed that as I worked the framerate slowly sank again until I was back down to 4-6 fps, which is where I was before.

I noticed a little problem using the directional keys to move around...however it's also entirely possible I bumped something and that's why, but pulled back and using the arrow keys to go left or right it barely changed the view.

I didn't open the TMT menu, but the other menus showed improvement in opening time, and in populating the thumbnails.  It's still slow, but it's certainly faster than it was.

Exiting the game is a little quirky still...seems like there was a new frame (?) around the screen for a second, then it froze for about 10 seconds until it popped off and went to the Steam screen.  I always make a habit of saving before deciding to exit anyways.

All-in-all... I do see improvement, so I know they worked on it.  It's still not like it was a before that update back in November (?) when this all seemed to go downhill, but then again my park file isn't the same either. 

I still think PC struggles with large park files, which is sad because many people build large, detailed parks, especially in sandbox, and I'm not thinking that is going to be improved.  I'm not sure if hoping that they increase the size limits for TNT items so that rather than structures and such having to be entirely pbp would help or not, we might be able to create in TMT parts of entire structures that use far less resources, like for domes, etc.

« Reply #3663 on: March 05, 2019, 01:12 PM »
So I guess I originally posted this reply in the wrong thread somehow...

Here is my report:

- Opening the game (Cobra) was much better. Back to a couple minutes (like before the problems started happening). It was up towards 30-60 minutes, depending on who knows what.

- Park load was about the same as it has always taken about 10-15 mins and I really didn't see any change here unless it was minimal.

- FPS still the same. around 5-6 during build and play, and down to 1 or zero when opening tabs. No improvement here.

- Menu tabs are still as bad as they were. When clicking one to open it still take 2-3 minutes, sometimes longer to open any of them. One improvement is that the TMT thumbprints do almost populate immediately (and the regular pieces still take a little longer, but not as bad as they were). They had been taking another few minutes to populate. Still a delay when selecting a piece to place, especially and TMT pieces.

- Selecting a building to edit already in game. when selecting the building and then clicking on the edit button, still has a long lag of a minute or so for the edit menu to open.

- Saving. Auto saves are still taking several minutes of locked game play while the save happens. Manual save are the same way. really long save times.

- Exit was almost real time now and no more crash, so this was obviously fixed.

So some improvements getting in and out of the game, but the game play itself still suffers major with the slow menu issues...which is what I was really hoping would be fixed as thats the more aggravating part of playing the game right now.

« Reply #3664 on: March 05, 2019, 01:13 PM »
So I guess I originally posted this reply in the wrong thread somehow...

Here is my report:

- Opening the game (Cobra) was much better. Back to a couple minutes (like before the problems started happening). It was up towards 30-60 minutes, depending on who knows what.

- Park load was about the same as it has always taken about 10-15 mins and I really didn't see any change here unless it was minimal.

- FPS still the same. around 5-6 during build and play, and down to 1 or zero when opening tabs. No improvement here.

- Menu tabs are still as bad as they were. When clicking one to open it still take 2-3 minutes, sometimes longer to open any of them. One improvement is that the TMT thumbprints do almost populate immediately (and the regular pieces still take a little longer, but not as bad as they were). They had been taking another few minutes to populate. Still a delay when selecting a piece to place, especially and TMT pieces.

- Selecting a building to edit already in game. when selecting the building and then clicking on the edit button, still has a long lag of a minute or so for the edit menu to open.

- Saving. Auto saves are still taking several minutes of locked game play while the save happens. Manual save are the same way. really long save times.

- Exit was almost real time now and no more crash, so this was obviously fixed.

So some improvements getting in and out of the game, but the game play itself still suffers major with the slow menu issues...which is what I was really hoping would be fixed as thats the more aggravating part of playing the game right now.
So, I'm trying again to be sure...
And I've been stuck on the Cobra screen for over 30 mins now.
SOAB

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: March 05, 2019, 02:27 PM »
my cobra screen is on for only 12 seconds...but oddly it was never an issue with me even with 60+ toolkit items.  I'm gonna make a demo video per their request in a few minutes.

« Reply #3666 on: March 05, 2019, 04:35 PM »
So I just canned the Cobra screen after 3+ hours of trying to load. I swear...

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: March 05, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Here's my game play video:

« Reply #3668 on: March 05, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Looks pretty much just like mine. I was going to try and record as well for your bug post, but I couldn't get the game to open. Will try again later.
Actually...your's looks almost slower than mine. sorry dude. I so want this to get better because I love playing the game.

« Reply #3669 on: March 05, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Update #2: After killing that 2nd attempt and rebooting...it now loaded the game in just a minute or so again. Not sure what happened with that previous attempt.

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 05, 2019, 07:12 PM »
How are your menu load times?

« Reply #3671 on: March 05, 2019, 10:12 PM »
terrible. no change. I will post a video with examples in the morning. 1 -2 minutes

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 06, 2019, 03:23 AM »
My game posetively improved;
Cobra screen now for a few sec.
FPS huge improvement: 22 fps has become 40, park full with visitors 12 -> 20 (6250 peeps).
Loading time of objects still the same but was about 20 seconds.

« Reply #3673 on: March 06, 2019, 05:30 AM »
here is my lag examples

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 06, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Dang.  That's terrible too. Mine's about 15 to 30 seconds slower than yours so this seems pretty consistent across the board for big files.  Thanks for posting this in the bug report too.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: March 14, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Even adding a few more TMT items the load to Cobra remains fast.  Loading my current park hasn't improved much, but I noted that if I first load my test bench where I sometimes build on rather than fight the in-game lag, it's loading at around 60 fps, then when open it's around 30 fps.  If I leave there and go back to the Main Menu and then load the current park file rather than taking nine minutes as usual, it's taking four.  I assume something were loaded for the test bench and then remained loaded as long as the game was open so didn't need to do it again.

My current park file is just about at the end of being able to work on it.  4-6 fps paused with no peeps, all shops and rides closed. 

The menus still take s little bit to open.  A matter of a few seconds so nothing like the trouble others have, but when you go back and forth between different menus while building it still is a pain.

Now today when I closed the game it froze.  I left it and 20 minutes later it was still froze.  I tried opening the task manager and the game interfered with that  so I had to do a hard boot by turning off the computer.  It's not done that for over a month and I though it was something they tweaked in the update, but it's back it seems.

When downloading Workshop items, wasn't there a way to filter so the most recent downloads show up first?  When I select 'recent' it shows me the Workshop items I recently viewed, not what I recently added.  If I don't write down the exact name or note a keyword when I download it, then later I end up having to scroll down through dozens and dozens and dozens of thumbnails trying to recognize something like a building from those small thumbnails, and if it's a building style that can sport different names for a similar style (think Tudor, Fantasy, Medieval, English, etc. all looking very similar at first glance...).  What am I doing wrong???

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: April 08, 2019, 04:41 AM »
Chanté at Frontier announced this this morning...

Spring is in the air and that means that around the world, theme parks are re-opening for the year ahead. We can't wait to get back to our favourites and we know many of you can't either.
We are delighted to announce we have partnered up with Carowinds in North Carolina to bring you the Copperhead Strike! This 50mph twisting and looping coaster train is beautifully themed like the original American hot-rods. It packs a real punch with its double launching track layout, which boasts an inverted top hat, two 360 loops, a corkscrew, and a unique jojo roll straight out the station. The track has been faithfully recreated from its real-life counterpart’s technical specifications, so it’s as close as you can get to riding the real thing!

We are also overjoyed to announce the Classic Rides Collection, which will be arriving alongside the free 1.11 Copperhead Strike update on 16 April, 2019! Similar to our last content collection, this one will have nine new rides for you, one of which with two variations. Make sure you keep an eye on our social channels over the next few days, as we have exciting ride reveals that we cannot wait to share with you all!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/carowinds-copperhead-strike-and-classic-rides-collection-coming-soon.508045/#post-7720999

The Carowinds tie-in is great, but I'm far more interested to see what they are considering 'classic rides'...

« Reply #3677 on: April 08, 2019, 05:29 AM »
I agree Wagi.  In lieu of a new scenery set (which I figured wasn't going to happen), "classic rides" is pretty much exactly what I wanted, and what the game needs.

Disappointing that it seems like maybe they've given up on enhancing the game itself.   I'd really love to see a full-blown expansion to help flesh things out some more.  But I guess at this point it's just best to take what we can get.

It's always a let down to speculate, but just curious what "classics" people would like to see that aren't in-game yet.  I'll vote for a Rotor.  And I really hope they include at least something for little kids.

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: April 08, 2019, 06:19 AM »
I hope for a Huss Condor, a looking-forwards-boat ride (both with and without own channel), a small "open-air" monorail, spinning barrels, a more neutral vintage steel coaster, just to name some.
Generally, I hope the new rides are designed neutrally enough to fit to many different themes, and would be more realistic for small or vintage parks.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: April 08, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Paul_Crowther had this to say in response to some comments wanting more scenery objects in dlc's...

Rides are tricky to develop and require a lot of development time and resources. By focusing specifically on rides we're able to give you a lot more high quality rides than may be possible in a combined pack and still keep the pack around the same fair price. If you have specific scenery you really want to see in the game reach out to one of the talented Thememaker's Toolkit creators and see if they can make something for you!

I suspect that, as some people predicted, Frontier is going to concentrate on adding rides and coasters (which we can't create ourselves) and leave scenery objects to TMT (where we can...).  Perhaps there will be some ride specific scenery items (like signage) they'll provide, but personally I'm not looking much of anything else coming from them scenery-wise.  There IS some really nice scenery coming out in the Workshop, although I'm still being careful with what I download...

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: April 08, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Toolkit stuff still messes up the game.  I was building in a mostly empty flat park file all weekend and that 20 second lag waiting for menus to open is getting really old.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: April 08, 2019, 11:33 AM »

Tonight I wanted to work on the Netflix park, after two immediate crashes after opening the scenery tab I decided to do something else... F* Planet Coaster

« Reply #3682 on: April 08, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Classic rides, huh?  I wonder if that is classic amusement park rides, or classic carnival rides?

A Rotor, a Whip, Shoot the Chutes, Walk throughs of any kind, a Helter Skelter, and please, at least one kiddie type ride! Small footprint circle ride, like fire engines, cars, ladybugs, anything!

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: April 09, 2019, 04:18 AM »
So the first new ride is the Sky Temple.  Ummm... okay.  Not sure if I'd call this a "classic" ride.  Isn't there only one of these Flying Island rides in the world?  It does look very pretty though.  Would look nice in some of the zoo and adventure themed parks lots of folks are making lately.

I guess Frontier has a different definition of the word classic.  I assumed it implied rides that lots of parks have had over the years.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:52 AM by Fisherman »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: April 09, 2019, 04:45 AM »
It looks nice and is welcome, but the theming kind of limits it's usage for many people I'd say. 

Hoping for more generic rides that can serve as a base to add our own theming and can work in a wide variety of park themes.

« Reply #3685 on: April 09, 2019, 04:51 AM »
So the first new ride is the Sky Temple.  Ummm... okay.  Not sure if I'd call this a "classic" ride.  Isn't there only one of these Flying Island rides in the world?  It does look very pretty though.  Would look nice in some of the zoo and adventure themed parks lots of folks are making lately.

I guess Frontier has a different definition of the word classic.  I assumed it implied rides that lots of parks have had over the years.

if i recall correctly there were quite a few flying islands in the past, many of which are now broken down and only a few still operate, the most famous flying island where this one is clearly inspired by is pagode from the efteling(which is also a classic/iconic ride of the park) then yeah i would consider it a classic, only downside is the theme which limits it's use

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: April 09, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Yeah I did some research and there are a small handful of them still operating. They have an enormous footprint so they aren't too practical compared to other sorts of observation towers but they sure are pretty and are engineering marvels to watch.

« Reply #3687 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02 PM »
true, they do take up some space but i think the main advantage of them is the lack of a constant tower in the view from every angle,  i can still remember as a kid and we went to the efteling to stare out of the car window in the hope to see the pagode rise up above the treeline

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: April 10, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Oh my heavens guys we're getting a Whip ride!!

Beyond Drew just showed me this.  Take a close look in the lower left!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/239870277251497985/565715095045537807/unknown.png?width=1200&height=676

« Reply #3689 on: April 10, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Oh my heavens guys we're getting a Whip ride!!

Beyond Drew just showed me this.  Take a close look in the lower left!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/239870277251497985/565715095045537807/unknown.png?width=1200&height=676
Sweet