What did you just do in Planet Coaster

• 2391 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you just do in Planet Coaster
« Reply #2340 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44 PM »
I wonder if that's the one that replaced Omaha's old Galaxi... I knew it came down this summer but didn't hear about a replacement...  looks similar in size

The one I'm doing replaced a Galaxi, but that was in Maine.  According to RCDB, there are 4 of these in existence:  1 in Romania, 1 in Pakistan, 1 in Tajikistan, and 1 in Maine (which is so far from me it should also end in -stan :D ). 
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 10, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Queues are in my opinion as much important as the ride itself. That's why a major attraction always should have a decorated queue imo.
Still working on the stranger things ride:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 10, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Somebody's going to be in trouble for writing on the walls ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline BBordewyk

• Just another armchair imagineer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 10, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Those couches are genius! :up:

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 10, 2018, 10:25 PM »

Branching out into something a bit more modern and lively. Having lots of fun with it so far.

« Reply #2345 on: November 11, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Redhair, those couches!  Reclining seats even!   :P

Beautiful Grrt.  Love the contrasting light colors and your technique for round structures is spot on.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 11, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Very nifty, Grrt, both building and lighting
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 11, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Very nifty, Grrt, both building and lighting

Here is the end result, with a fade sequence between different colors etc. programmed.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 11, 2018, 09:44 PM »
That's a real neat effect. At first I thought the video was 'stuck' :P I didn't see anything happening. But then I started to see the subtle color shift. Very nice. :up:

« Reply #2349 on: November 12, 2018, 05:40 AM »
very nice lighting work.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: November 12, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Very cool light changes there, Grrt.  I'll have to try that someday.  Any real trick to it?  I'm thinking you must have a BUNCH of lights in there in shades of darker to lighter, each firing sequentially, to get those perfect fades.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: November 12, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Very cool light changes there, Grrt.  I'll have to try that someday.  Any real trick to it?  I'm thinking you must have a BUNCH of lights in there in shades of darker to lighter, each firing sequentially, to get those perfect fades.

It's simpler than that, it's actually just one area light per bay, which then encircles the building for a total of 24 lights. The odd bays follow a different color sequence than the even ones. In total, there's 6 color combinations. The roof is currently not coded.

My coding sequence is very straightforward and expandable.
1. Snap to color
2. 5 second color fade to next color, in a 6 second window. (So it sits at a color for 1 seconds) If you put the window too close to the fade time, the game likes to skip over the next cue every once in a while and blow the whole illusion.
3. Fade to next..
4. Repeat for each color combo...
5. Fade to color from step one.

The fade to color 1 and snap to at step 1 keeps the cue stack in a closed loop, so it will always begin and end at the same condition.

The main troubleshoot was picking the colors and the order they showed up in. Some shifts had a tendency to make really gross colors come up as they faded. The game just does linear color paths, so it goes straight across the wheel from one point to another. A better, but more complicated path would trace around the edges like this, avoiding white. So I tried to mimic this type or circular movement when I could, and also prevent colors like yellow from popping up.

In total, it was 24 lights, each with 6 cues to write, for a total of only 144 cues. Once I got the bugs worked out the actual sequencing of it was pretty simple.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:50 AM by Grrt »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47 PM »
@Grrt:  Thanks for the explanation but it went over my low-brow head.  For instance, I didn't even know that lights could be made to fade, and have no idea how to do it :)  Also, how do you make the same light be different colors?  Maybe a tutorial for absolute idiots is called for?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: November 12, 2018, 10:19 PM »
I'll get one eventually haha I almost finally have a strong enough park to detail some of these things.

You have to attach lights to the sequencer piece and then you can address the various properties. Color fade, on/off, and basically variations on that are all you can really do with lights. It's super primitive so if you tell the sequencer to put a light a certain way, but don't tell it to change back, it will just stay that way forever. And if you don't explicitly tell a light to turn on before you change anything, it'll just stay off.

A normal color change is you going in, selecting a new color, and clicking ok, and that becomes your lights new color forever. With a fade it's going in, changing the color a tiny bit, assigning that color permanently to your light, and then doing it over and over again until it hits the end color that you told it you wanted, as if you could somehow manually change the color of your light a bunch of times a second and click ok. If you stopped the fade before it gets to the end color, and severed it from the sequencer, you'd just have whatever color you stopped it at forever. The sequencer is basically just a fancy, really fast version of you with pre-recorded stuff that it does endlessly till the end of time.

Color path is simple, if you faded from pure red, with no green or blue present (255,0,0) to pure green (0,255,0) the game would drop the red light off at a steady linear rate and raise the green light at a steady linear rate. So at some point, you'll have a color that is equal parts red and green (128,128,0) Which is um... this really gross color in the middle. So when you fade you wanna make sure that all the colors in between your two points on the color wheel are colors you're ok with showing up.

Complex lightboards allow you to specify all the values that a color stops at on the way, instead of drawing a linear path. In this case, you might prefer your fade go thru white and go nowhere near yellow, so you could tell your light to add in some blue so it could stop at (128,128,128) white, basically, before it fades off to green, thus avoiding the banana.

It becomes a rabbit hole if you go any further down than this.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: November 13, 2018, 06:04 AM »
It becomes a rabbit hole if you go any further down than this.

LOL, it still is to me.  Thanks for the info.  I never knew the sequencer allowed more with lights than merely turning them on and off :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: November 14, 2018, 08:02 AM »
@Grrt That is incredible!!
@Redhair I don't have Netflix and I haven't watched Stranger Things but I LOVE this park. That looks so much like the real thing. The jellybean sofas are very clever.

I haven't used the fireworks before so I thought I'd have a mess around so I could enter the Frontier Anniversary competition. Here's some pics from Blast Point Resort

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: November 14, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Great Nemmie! Hopefully you'll get that goodiebag ^^

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: November 14, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I finished the supports for my life-size Preston & Barbieri Anaconda 2.0, modeled on the "Sea Viper" at Palace Playland, Old Orchard Beach, Mainestan.

It's on the Workshop already if you can't wait but I intend to add a few more things to it, at which point it'll get a proper blueprint thread.  That'll probably have to wait until this weekend, though.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53 PM »
That looks FANTASTIC, buddy!!  I LOVE the "cage" of supports with all those headchoppers.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29 PM »
That looks FANTASTIC, buddy!!  I LOVE the "cage" of supports with all those headchoppers.

Thanks!  It was an arduous job making these supports as nearly all of them are of unique design.  I was lucky to get more than 3 built per day so this took quite a while ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: November 15, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Love your creations Bullethead, always very realistic. I believe a certain Netflix park will order soon a coaster by your company ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: November 15, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Love your creations Bullethead, always very realistic. I believe a certain Netflix park will order soon a coaster by your company ;)

BSI is quite honored and more than happy to be part of Netflix Studios.  This particular coaster isn't quite ready yet, however.  Still needs a couple of small sheds for the lift motors, some lights, and probably a few more struts I missed.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: November 15, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Being unable to sleep and having other plans suddenly for the weekend, I stayed up too late and finished the P&B Anaconda 2.0.

'

It's over in the rides and blueprints sections if you want it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2363 on: November 20, 2018, 12:28 AM »
Taking a little break from Adventure World...decided to see if I could pull off Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Kings Dominion,

Not too shabby for a quick rush job!  Saving this for my next park.   :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:36 AM by cerealfruitcakes »

« Reply #2364 on: November 21, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Finally got a working object in game, from zero knowledge of blender to learning the very basics of the importer in about 10hours (al beit 7 of those were me trying to get a sketchup export into blender and finding out the importer doesn't like it) Still a lot to learn, and a lot of practice getting my blender skills up to my sketchup skills!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: November 21, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Bravo!  :up: :up:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17 PM »
You just raised the bar. Ha ha!  That's so professional looking!

Offline Redhair

• View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: November 22, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Ow wow, if you learned to produce that in 10 hours... I'll fasten my seat belt ;)

While everyone is learning how to import objects, I've been focusing on a little picnic area surrounded by trees and nature (kind of).

« Reply #2368 on: November 22, 2018, 01:10 PM »
I finally found the time to come back to Planet Coaster, especially to see how thememaker's toolkit works and what people bring up in the early days. I didn't build anything but for the first time in my life I tried to create a video of one of my older projects "Rio Viento". It's not really "What did you just do in Planet Coaster" more like "What did you just do with Planet Coaster". For me it was learning the basic skills of video editing  :D

Online Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: November 22, 2018, 02:06 PM »
KingSwasi, that was delightful!  I love the multiple smaller drops.  What a fun and beautiful family ride!