What did you just do in Planet Coaster

• 2625 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you just do in Planet Coaster
« Reply #2430 on: January 14, 2019, 03:41 PM »
OK, Maylene, I can see why you did what you did ;).

I finished my life-size "Colossus the Fire Dragon".  It's over in the Rides section if you want it.

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2431 on: January 15, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Nice Video BH!
As I never had really time to play a bit with the pieces of the world fair dlc, I now started to build a small diorama very focused on height differences.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: January 15, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Thanks, Kind Swasi :)

Your work here captures the realistic feel of a place that was built up haphazardly over a few centuries.  It's got some old stuff, some new stuff, and nothing really lines up with anything else.  Which is as it should be :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: January 16, 2019, 04:36 AM »
Nice coaster Bullethead!

KingSwasi, looks lovely. Perfect surroundings for taking a break :)

Tried to renew a part of my MIB coaster. The subway now has some effects that simulates another subway passing by:

This is what it used to be on the inside:
Spoiler (hover to show)

« Reply #2434 on: January 16, 2019, 05:50 AM »
great idea and very creative

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #2435 on: January 16, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Yeah, I love that effect. Looks very convincing.

« Reply #2436 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Thanks BH, the "modern buildings" are only raw building shapes of what it should look like in the future, im not so sure how it will turn out, but I imagine a Theme Park in the middle east, built in the mid 2000's wich is obiviously quite modern but tries to bring some culture to the guests :D

Really love the sounddesign of the subway! The coaster than launches backwards or is it an optical illusion?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: January 16, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Wow, Redhair, that fake train passing by is BRILLIANT!

KingSwasi, The Emirates have some very impressive theme parks, but then there are things like FantazyLand in Egypt..... :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2438 on: January 16, 2019, 02:50 PM »
I know the motion park and this bollywood one in Dubai, also the arciture in some of Dubai's mall's was what I thought of.
Woooow, this egyptian one looks more like a map in COD than a theme park :D

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Thanks for the positive comment :)

-Really love the sounddesign of the subway! The coaster than launches backwards or is it an optical illusion-

Launches forwards (but goes a bit back first)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: January 16, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Woooow, this egyptian one looks more like a map in COD than a theme park :D

Or Fallout New Vegas ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: January 17, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Ok so two questions.

I placed the rope, being the only straight "pipe" piece i could find, only to find out it cannot be colord. I do not own any of the packs, just the game itself. Are there ANY pieces I can use that are more suitable for creating the bracing?

2, This piece is stuck on a grid, but if i built outside of the "building" could this be able to be angled in any direction to line up with the lift?

The possibilities that are endless only stumped by the limitations of the controls  :'(

Thanks in advance!
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

« Reply #2442 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Ok so two questions.

I placed the rope, being the only straight "pipe" piece i could find, only to find out it cannot be colord. I do not own any of the packs, just the game itself. Are there ANY pieces I can use that are more suitable for creating the bracing?

2, This piece is stuck on a grid, but if i built outside of the "building" could this be able to be angled in any direction to line up with the lift?

The possibilities that are endless only stumped by the limitations of the controls  :'(

Thanks in advance!
How about the straight cable, or even the street light pole (may be to thick for what you are doing)

« Reply #2443 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54 AM »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: January 17, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Are there ANY pieces I can use that are more suitable for creating the bracing?

Besides the pieces mentioned by Wowman, there's also the traffic sign pole which I believe is in the stock game (came with the go-carts free update).  Unlike the rope and cable, the sign pole can be repainted.

There are 2 types of parts in the game:  gridded and non-gridded.  Non-gridded parts (such as all those mentioned here) can be rotated in any direction even if they are part of a "building" which has a grid.  When placing non-gridded parts, if you have "align to surface" and/or "align to center" checked, and you put the non-gridded part up against a previously existing gridded part, the non-gridded part will initially appear lined up with the grid.  And will remain so as you drag it over other existing gridded parts. 

However, if you hit X (to enter advanced move mode) prior to clicking to place the non-gridded part, you can then move the non-gridded part off the center of the gridded part and rotate it out of alignment with the surface.  If you click and place the non-gridded part first, just select it and hit X to do the same.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33 PM »
The Grey,

The TMT Ski Resort Pole might work for you. It's thin and colorable.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1593820195
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 17, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Wowmanrct - I actually tried to see if those would work and kinda like the look!
Bullethead - I couldn't find the sign post  :confused: unless you are talking about the same post Shyguy suggested
Shyguy - Thanks for pointing this out, though it is a tad bigger than i would like, it still doesn't look bad

So I used both suggestions, I kinda like the cable one, but the post's being flush aesthetically make me like them. What do you all think?
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: January 17, 2019, 04:22 PM »
It's a sign POLE, not post.  I think that's a Brit thing.  But you found it.  It's the one on the right, white with black rings.

I recommend saving the cables for when you actually need bracing cables and using the poles otherwise.   Or, to reduce part count t, use the stuff in the building/wall/scaffolding tab
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31 PM »
It's a sign POLE, not post.  I think that's a Brit thing.  But you found it.  It's the one on the right, white with black rings.

I recommend saving the cables for when you actually need bracing cables and using the poles otherwise.   Or, to reduce part count t, use the stuff in the building/wall/scaffolding tab

that's a Brit thing? Never knew that, in the midwest out in cornfields we called anything to do with signs or fencing a post minus telephone poles lol

yeah I did not have those until shyguy left the link. The cables look a lot like Vortex at kings islands set up. How is part count actually counted? Does a huge in game piece count more than say the snowman pipe? or is it literally a 1:1 scale?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39 PM »
that's a Brit thing? Never knew that, in the midwest out in cornfields we called anything to do with signs or fencing a post minus telephone poles lol
yeah I did not have those until shyguy left the link.

Yeah, in the US, a post is anything about as tall as you are or less, and a pole is something considerably taller.  But it appears to be the opposite across the pond, at least as things are named in the game.

Anyway, if you have the go-cart ride, then you have all the traffic signs and their associated POLE.  IIRC, that was all a free update so you should have it.

How is part count actually counted? Does a huge in game piece count more than say the snowman pipe? or is it literally a 1:1 scale?

I'm pretty sure it's more about polygons and different textures than it is the actual number of parts, but as we can't measure either of the others, we use part count as a general guesstimate.

-----------------

Meanwhile, somewhere in the loess belt along the east bank of the Mississippi River, stuff is happening at an old, worn-out farm recently sold at auction.  State Highway 642 has grown some turn lanes and an intersection that currently lead nowhere and the locals are already griping about the addition of a traffic light and the reduced speed limit there.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2450 on: January 18, 2019, 04:32 AM »
Are you building a park BH?  That excites me, it's been awhile.

Also, is this the map you submitted for the summer challenge last year?  I always had this idea I wanted to go back to it and build a park on it, very midwestern pumpkin-farm vibe if I recall.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 18, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Are you building a park BH?  That excites me, it's been awhile.

Well, the developer who bought the property wants some sort of park here but hasn't yet decided whether it will be an amusement park or an industrial park.  So right now, I'm just putting in the infrastructure that will support either option.  I'm widening the road (and making the resulting required adjustments to its drainage).  Soon I'll be massively upgrading and rerouting the power line, and installing a new substation sufficient to power a lot of 3-phase electric motors and a refrigerated warehouse.  Then I'll start building a parking lot.  By then, hopefully the developer will have come to a decision.

Also, is this the map you submitted for the summer challenge last year?  I always had this idea I wanted to go back to it and build a park on it, very midwestern pumpkin-farm vibe if I recall.

Yup, this is my Pharqueson Farms map.  I envision it as being on a back road a short distance off US Highway 61 within about 20 miles either side of Natchez, Mississippi, but if you think it looks like somewhere else, feel free to make it so :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 19, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I am sorry if this post is a bit big with photo content, but had a few questions and hopefully you all can help!

So I have been trying to figure out the alignment and footing for the turn and cannot seem to figure this out. I think the only reason I haven't gone completely mad is that in building the supports, I can easily copy paste repeat and build it rather quickly. Each angle set of supports on this turn is an individual "building" because once I start building i cannot get the pieces to go off grid, is there an easier way to do this? Or am I on the right track?

I have updated the supports as well with ski pole for the tiny crossbeams and the other thicker pole for the angled crossbeam at the top of the support. At least, unlike RCT3, I can completely break form and customize the fitment of the supports to fit correctly.

Any tips on getting this turn supported? I am not sure if I should abandon the checkerboard style supports [Ninja SFSL]

or go to full supports[Viper SFMM]

The entire ride is not going to be girder supports, but will be post supports once the drop is complete.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:30 AM by The Grey »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 19, 2019, 12:41 PM »
First off, you're definitely on the right track making each tower a separate building.  This is, in fact, the only real way right now to work around the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned mess they made of the 3D gizmo's relative axes in 1.10.  By making each one a building, you can at least have a consistent vertical axis when copying the tower and moving it down the track to the next position.

As to supporting your turn, I typically make custom supports from the top down.  When I copy the previous support, as I'm moving it, I raise or lower it as required so that its top intersects the track at the right altitude.  If it's a building, I can raise it by holding SHF and dragging it up or down.  This lets me get it centered on the track and rotated relative to the track to follow the curve.  Then I rebuild or adjust all the lower parts from there down to the ground.

So, with the tower in the proper position in the horizontal plane and its top at the right altitude, you next adjust the lengths of the vertical legs.  Either CTRL-X and pull down to make them reach the ground, or cut off extra pieces that are now below the ground because this tower is shorter than the last.  Then move the footers up or down as needed to be on the ground surface.  All this is no problem and you should be able to use relative axes.

Where you're likely to get seriously annoyed is that now you'll have to adjust all the crossbars up or down to match those on the next tower.  Here, you'll have to use WORLD axes to keep a consistent vertical axis.  Select all the crossbars, hit X, make sure you click "Use World Axes", and slide them up or down as needed, not worrying which way the horizontal axes are pointing because you're not going to move the parts in those directions.  Then, if you have to add more layers of crossbars, you'll select 1 set of them, hit CTRL-X, again make sure you're using world axis, and drag the copy straight up or down as needed.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: January 21, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Not "in" but "for" Planet Coaster...
I have lately been collecting lots of ideas, drawn maps, and hopefully get to build my first proper PC park soon. :) I might not be very active on SGW these days, but I'm very active behind the stage, and hope to have something cool to show in a few weeks.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 21, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Not "in" but "for" Planet Coaster...
I have lately been collecting lots of ideas, drawn maps, and hopefully get to build my first proper PC park soon. :) I might not be very active on SGW these days, but I'm very active behind the stage, and hope to have something cool to show in a few weeks.

I look forward to seeing more from  you ;).

BTW, your avatar brings home a funny and inexplicable difference in language between America and Europe.  The Europeans have called Alces alces an "elk", "elch", "elg", or something similar since the Indo-Europeans first entered Europe (even the Latin "alces" is from the same root).  And the European colonists certainly used those same names for the exact same animal when they first got off the boat in America and saw a familiar face.  But somehow, almost immediately, the colonists started using an Indian (Algonquin language) word for this animal, "moose".  Thus, in America, Alces alces is now universally known as "moose",

But meanwhile, the colonists also soon encountered Cervus canadensis, a larger-than-moose-sized critter that looks more like a normal deer than Alces alces.  This animal also crossed the Berringian land bridge so is found in NE Siberia and nearby areas as well as America, but apparently was unknown to Europeans before they met it in America.  And they had their word "elk" currently unemployed since "moose" stole its job, so they applied it to this animal.  And so it's been ever since.  There have been some pedantic efforts at disambiguation by trying to say the name "wapiti" (another Indian word, this time Shawnee/Cree) is better than "elk" for this animal, but nobody pays attention any more than trying to get Americans to say "maize" instead of "corn".

So, bottom line, the European elk/elch/whatever is the American moose, and the American elk is something else entirely.  Strange how things work out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:59 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: January 21, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Thanks for that history/etymology lesson, BH. I wasn't aware of that. I've been wondering why Elch uses a moose for his avatar... I guess you were wondering, too. ;)
And Elch- I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been working on.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 21, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Thanks for that history/etymology lesson, BH. I wasn't aware of that. I've been wondering why Elch uses a moose for his avatar... I guess you were wondering, too. ;)

Actually, I already knew that :D.  I'm into deep American pre-history so have been trying to correlated when various animals walked between Siberia and Alaska to help pin down when people did, too.  Turns out the American moose and American elk, along with the woolly mammoth and some folks from NE Siberia, were the most recent migrants, only about 10Kyp, but that many other critters and a fair number of people had made the trip at other times when Berringia was a thing long before the Last Glacial Maximum.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:15 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 21, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Thanks Bullethead! I knew about the differences, but didn't know much about the background, so thank you.

Elch means indeed "moose", and I use it because I was obsessed with Sweden many years ago, and that's when I started to name myself to something with "elch" in all different kinds of places on the internet. :)

Today I find my nickname somewhat stupid, but it's what you all know me by already, so changing it is not an option.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: January 21, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Today I find my nickname somewhat stupid, but it's what you all know me by already, so changing it is not an option.

Au contraire!  In both America and Europe, Alces alces has since time immemorial been regarded as a potent totem of testosterone.  Teddy Roosevelt even named his own political 3rd party after it, for that very reason.  In more modern times, in America at least, it has become stereotypical to regard most humans as having either brains or brawn but not both, so nicknaming a person "Moose" has acquired the connotation of somebody big, strong, and stupid.   But this does a disservice to both the animal itself, which is no more stupid than other varieties of deer, and the people, who can be both strong and smart simultaneously.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page