Rammstein - Light Show/Concert Recreation

• 9 replies
Rammstein - Light Show/Concert Recreation
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:46 PM »
It's not really a park or coaster, but I wouldn't really consider it custom content, so I guess it might fit better in the former. If a mod thinks it would be more at place in custom content, please move it.

I originally got the idea to do this after experimenting with lighting in NL2 for the first time about 1.5 years or so ago now, and after playing around with scripting I saw that it could be done. I'd been putting it off for a long time until about 2-3 months ago when I fell a bit ill and thought to myself "If I'm going to be stuck in bed for the next few days, I may as well start work on some sort of big project", and that's when it all begun.

The band I chose to do this to was Rammstein, my all time favourite band as well as the first band I ever saw live. Their shows typically feature very elaborate lighting set ups (not just big wash lights, but also lights flashing in time to the music) and pyro, so I thought they'd be the best show to try and replicate. I chose the song since it's lighting set up is generally a lot more simple than some songs (lighting rigs rarely move) but also not too simple (lights just staying on and not much happening).

After scouring the internet for a bit, I managed to come across articles including lists of all the lighting fixtures and speakers that the band use, up close shots of various parts of the stage and lighting rigs and even schematics for the stage. it's at the point where I'm trying to replicate the real thing as best as I can.

On to some pictures of my current progress

Shot of the point of the show where the most amount of lights are active (970, in case you want to know)

Shot of the stage with most of the lights off so you can see some more details (Probably the best shot I can find for comparison)

One more shot of the night time shot of how it looks in the editor, where all the lights are on by default and cannot be turned off. Average about 0.25fps

Most up to date video of the show

As of right now, all that needs to be done is that the script needs a little bit more touched up to get some of the fade outs right on some of the lights, and I need to do quite a bit of modelling to get the stage and lighting fixtures right.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:01 PM by Projektion »

Re: Rammstein - "Links, 2, 3, 4" - Light Show/Concert Recreation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Little bit of a small update, I've started work trying to get the massive cell backdrop the band uses modelled and ready for the next song I'm doing after this one.

In sketchup:

In NL2 after being lit up:

The IRL equivelant

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
Re: Rammstein - "Links, 2, 3, 4" - Light Show/Concert Recreation
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:19 AM »
Oh wow, that is a real cool backdrop. Love this so far, makes NL2 looks very different from how it normally looks haha.

Re: Rammstein - Light Show/Concert Recreation
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:12 PM »

After some time away, I had to completely scrap my previous attempt at this and start over again from scratch. Since then, I've completed 3 shows.The first 2 are based on kind of an amalgamation of the Lightshow the band used during the 2012 "Made In Germany" tour and the 2013 "Wir Halten Das Tempo".

While the 3rd one is based on the show the band used during the 2016 tour. The reason I changed was due to the new NL2 Lighting Update. To make the previous lighting setup with the new update would have required a massive overhaul, so instead I decided to start from scratch with a new light show.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31 PM »
I can't believe this was made with NL2. This game really has no limits. :P

Offline Jake C

• Stone cold Steve, 3:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:13 PM »
That was really cool haha, all you need now is an animated crowd moshing  ;)

Like shyguy said, its pretty crazy you can do something like this in a roller coaster sim  :P
I live in the NoLimits board, come stop by and say hi.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:59 AM »
^ & ^^:Thanks. I think I probably take the cake for the most unique NL2 project.

As for a crowd, that's the dream. I want to put something in the crowd area just to make it not so empty but I don't want to think of how much slower it would make the video rendering (the first 2 took around 10-14 hours due to the blur being turned on, 3rd one took 6 hours with no motion blur).

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:40 AM »
That is AWESOME! You really create something unique I´ve never expected. That´s totally mind-blowing. I love that. The first song is the best one and the best show. Da kriegt man Lust!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 05:10 PM »
I've recently begun work on the next song. This time I've chosen Engel, and it is proving to be a lot more difficult than I first though.

The one main part I've finished so far is the keyboard solo.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16 AM »
Update on where the next song is at right now. Lighting for this one is far more elaborate and complex than I was initially expecting.

Now I just need to find a good reference pic of the backdrop they've been using to recreate it.