Blast Point Resort - Things Are Going Up

• 115 replies

Offline TOGOFan

• Everyone can be nothing!
    • View Profile
Re: Blast Point Resort - Now Open
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Award for largest update in SGW history?

This is truly spectacular and we're thrown with so much here that I don't think any comment could quite do justice to all the work you put into this. And work that quite clearly did not go into vain — it's really refreshing and inspiring seeing such level of creativity put into brilliant execution. After seeing the same ol' parks (at least over on the PC forums) with the same ol' themes over and over again, you start looking out for those that stand out from the herd and this is one of those rare few.

I love that you made the interior for some of the structures (shown better in the video than in the screens), which add more life to an already very vibrant main street & we know that they're really real & not Potemkin village type structures.  :P

Now I'm really curious how we're going to transition into that spooky-themed area!
"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 08:47 AM »
I adore this park....I never thought I could love something so unconventional and bright but....man it has such a brilliance about it...an energy...

I'm so inspired.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 09:37 AM »
First off, I just want to say thank you Shyguy for featuring this on the front page. It's such a buzz to be the SGW Snapshot.

Secondly, thank you all for such amazing comments. I'm really honoured when artists I admire say I inspire them.

@Quinn  Thanks very much. As for the crowd, I was really sneaky. I made a cattle-pen queue out of bins on the plaza.

Once the guests had snaked round it and filled the area, I paused the game and deleted the bins. I then let them all move forward until they were at the turnstiles and then paused it again. I took the pics I needed and then when I was ready to film the actual grand opening, I un-paused it again and let the stampede happen.

@zyned He He Thanks. The music choice was because I wanted something really fresh that would give you that sitting around a pool in the Med on holiday kinda feel. I also wanted it to be totally separate from the usual orchestrated epic scores, most theme parks have. And the  day/night transition on the video was designed to have a bit of a music video feeling and I wanted it to blow people's socks off a bit. I'm quite new to this video editing malarkey though so I'm nowhere near the skill level of N7, for example.

@Gravity  Thanks. It was a massive relief to finally get it open. It makes such a difference seeing people in your parks.

@shyguy  Thank you so much. That is one big compliment. No pressure then  ;)

@JayBlastOne  Thanks buddy. I've still got a looong way to go on this project, but I'm sure I can still do a little side project  ;)

@TOGOFan  Thanks. As for the themes, I wanted this park not to use any of the in-game themes as they are. Like you said, it ends up with a lot of similar looking parks.  Even my planned Sci-fi area isn't going to look like the in-game sci-fi set. It will use it, but will look different.
As for the transition into the Tormented Woods, you see the entrance on the video and a couple of the pictures. The lake with the rock is a buffer between the areas so it isn't such a shock to the retina when you wander down the winding path between them.

@n7. Thank-you. You've inspired me so much over the years that it's nice I can return the favour.

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 03:58 PM »
All these stunning shots leaving us wanting more, more, more!  :balloon:

We're just waiting for that cinematic moment where you'll finally hit us with the real thing like you did with that huge update.  :love:

These are just the type of screens that need to be advertised on the Planet Coaster page for a wider appeal.

Btw, ditto with the part about not limiting yourself to nothing but the in-game theme pieces for whichever theme you're going for. I had the same line of thinking with Mount Rudolph ("avoid using the new gingerbread pieces too much, and don't restrict yourself to only the new pieces introduced in the Winter update -- the last thing you want is for this park to look like another generic Candy Land...")

:balloon:
"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 02:45 AM »
SGW Snapshot brought me here and I'm glad it did.  This is amazing work, very realistic and creative.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 02:09 AM »
ahahah Nemmie the idea with the bins is just great!  :up:
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 11:44 AM »
Well this is just fun. I love the abstract mountain as your central focal point. Especially the way you incorporated a restaurant into it. I find experiential dinning that like to be something thats really missing from modern day theme parks. The wonky architecture and detailing have a sort of miami beach meets the colorful architecture of places like El Salvador and Turkey (Reference). Just be careful on overdoing the arch and curved white pieces. Less is more with elements like those. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what other lands will pop up!
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.
@andreizsmart  As for the restaurant, I thought the views up there would be brilliant, once the park fills out a bit. I also wanted the rock to have a purpose apart from being a focal point and a way of blocking the view to the back of the park. I thought it would be a very expensive folly unless, it had a way of earning revenue for the park.
Thanks for those reference shots. I've never seen them before. The colours are crazier than the ones I chose.
And the curved white pieces are pretty much done with now as I'll be moving into the other themed lands. The reason for the amount of them is that I wanted the hotel and Blast Street to have similar look. Also, the white pieces also are about continuous lines and flow in some cases. Lines flow through each other and sometimes flow from one building to the next. It's a bit like how I draw sometimes or when I'm designing something very streamlined.

As for now, I'm finally getting the 2nd part of the update together. I've done pretty much nothing on it in the last week so I'm going to try to get it done over the next few days.

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Wow, that picture is awesome, the building is perfectly placed and integrated into the wonderful themed area. The coaster in the background looks fun and realistic as well. Nice view on the whole area at all.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Soooooooo beautiful! This is an amazing piece of artistry!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Blast Point Resort - Into The Tormented Woods
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 10:01 AM »

Thanks, you two.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Into The Tormented Woods

Away from the bright colours of Blast Street, something darker is lurking.

Along the side of the Guest Services building, a shady path leads you to the entrance of Tormented Woods

Signs welcome you and remind you that The Dead Are Watching You.........Always

Early morning on opening day. This is the first view you get entering the Tormented Woods.

Most of the crowd are bypassing the Haunted Carousel and heading straight to Nightshade. Everyone wants to be the first to ride

Wicked Bites sells tasty snacks. To the right, next to Nightshade's exit path is Nightshade Photography selling on-ride photos

Between them, you can just see the path that leads to the toilets

Nightshade entrance

The Rack is a torture device that's never short of victims

And right behind The Rack is Tormented Treats gift shop

Nightshade, an intense B&M Wingrider with 6 inversions and plenty of head-choppers

When entering the queue, you either turn left, into the Fast Pass, or turn right and go through the crypt and into the graveyard. You then go past the abandoned house and round the lake. Don't look too closely into the water as you may see faces of the dead looking back at you and into your soul. The dead are watching you.

Nightshade's station sits inside this creepy old house on a hill

Unwary souls wait to be dispatched

Flying through the abandoned house for the first time, floorboards and roof beams narrowly miss your head before you're thrown through a Zero-G roll

Smashing through the abandoned house, riders hope to keep their head and feet.

Through the final smash-through, then around past the photo shop and toilets and into the brake-run

The late afternoon sun throws long shadows

As darkness falls, things get more sinister

Behind the trees, the bright colours of The Blast Point Hotel seems so far away

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14 AM »
That video was EVERYTHING.  Trying to pick a favorite thing, I think I really like how the station for Nightshade becomes the focal point for the area, the architecture, the colors, the grandness of it all.  And seeing a winged coaster swooping about in the sky over the entire area just nails the whole theme.  So much.  Daytime shots of this don't do it justice.

Offline RCT D!

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 10:43 AM »
One of the most accurate and realistic parks I´ve seen so far. Fantastic video with amazing soundtracks and sound effects, so realistic. I love the atmosphere you´ve created with the video and the whole themed area. The flat rides are perfectly integrated into the buildings and scenery, espacially the carousel. The wing coaster is superb as well, well done!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Damn Nemmie. Nightshade is maybe one of the greatest coaster if seen so far. that details, that flow, that story. just great work! love the screenshots. i think i need also to try one of that flyers :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 03:31 PM »
The whole new is area is wicked. ;)

That video was simply mesmerizing. Excellent coaster and great park design. Love it all.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline n7

• This stupidity must be immortalized
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Geezus iceberg on a ham sandwich...

Nemmie you are freaking awesome.

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 05:28 AM »
Just watched the whole video. What a fantatsic area you have here. I still remember when Nightshade was the only thing there and it alreayd looked excellent, but now is perfection.
Also, is that Alton Towers or Thrope Park music? It reminds me a lot to one of those.

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30 AM »
Just......WOW!!!!!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 07:09 AM »
So wickedly delightful that you have turned Nightshade into this amazing park section!  The Rack!  Brilliant name!  Ha ha!  Wow...everything is so awesome here!  YOU'RE Awesome!

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:18 AM by Fisherman »

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26 AM »
I love the Gothic theme! IT works so well! Nightshade looks awesome with its haunted house!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 03:33 PM »
With all those similar (but all equally "like-worthy") teaser screenshots you were posting on the Best Pictures Thread, I kept thinking to myself, "when is he going to finally reveal the area in full?" "Is any progress being made?" Now I understand why... you've given us way more than we could have ever imagined.

The sheer interaction of Nightshade with the pathing & structures is just phenomenal, with sights to behold from every angle. But just enough of it is also tucked away so as to leave a sense of unpredictability (including for those who are waiting in the queue, they have a glimpse of what's coming up, but much of it is also kept a mystery), which is what I love to see in theme parks. Those thematic structures like Tormented Treats are also very cute and well-crafted (but that station really takes the cake... I mean that in the positive sense, the way the idiom has traditionally been used, not in the more modern, sarcastic sense, but I think that was clear lol).

Also, I would have never thought that a "Gears of Fear" type of ride could work in an area like this, but it goes to show that even those forced-themed rides we get can work if we think a little bit outside-the-box, "outside the grid" (to use a term used in the PC world). It can be a hassle, but it makes for a very interesting result.

:up:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:45 PM by TOGOFan »

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Blast Point Resort - Nightshade POV
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01 AM »

Thanks to everyone for your amazing comments. I really appreciate it. Replies below.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Give yourself to Nightshade. Don't lose your head.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:19 AM by Nemmie »

Offline ThemeCrafter264

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Nice layout but rough in some sections and the drop was weird

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I'm in love with this area, great design. That last nighttime picture is great, but maybe a little dark in some areas.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Nemmie, that intro with the logo was great!
The coaster is super nice, great layout, I think the drop is great, remind me of something like hulk. Lots of fantastic and narrow headchoppers also!

Offline TOGOFan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 02:25 PM »
I just realized I wrote it as "Nightwing" in my previous comment, so I went ahead and corrected that.

"Nightshade" + Wing coaster, you know.

This has to be one of those attractions that forbids people taller than 6'4" from riding, as the number of close calls were too many to count. LOL. I loved it, Nemmie. So majestic and haunting at the same time, with enough queue + path interactions to appreciate. This can easily pass for a real layout and I'm so glad to see you have a real understanding of how pacing works on these coasters because not many people do. Yes, they slow down at parts, and the inversions are taken at fairly moderate speeds, that's how it's supposed to be!

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45 PM »
This is top notch - incredible work.
I would vacation there in an instant!

-JMAinAZ

Offline RCT D!

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21 PM »
At night it´s amazing as well, fantastic work as I said in my posts before. I love this park.

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2017, 09:10 PM »
I enjoyed the POV of the wing-rider very much.

However I have some points for (hopefully) constructive critcism:
- The layout is really nice, especially the hang-time-surpirse at the end
- I admire the station-building from the outside - and the general shape of the building.
- the inside was nice too, but maybe I'm too picky: the roof was a bit simple
- The other buildings were good, expect from the last break: that was a little bit odd (3:30)
- the environment was ok: some more stones would have been nice.

But overall it was just an awesome ride, the criticism is on a high level and that were some things I wanted to point out.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12 AM »

Thanks for all the kind feedback everyone.

Nice layout but rough in some sections and the drop was weird

Thanks. I wanted the drop to be different to the normal wing-over drop Wingriders usually have. I'd done it on one of my NL2 coasters a while back. I think it seems weird because of it's twist on the drop, but it has hardly any lateral G. It briefly hits 0.4 g for a split second. As for the roughness, I tried my best to iron out the kinks but especially on the barrel roll and some of the other custom inversions, it wasn't having any of it lol.

I'm in love with this area, great design. That last nighttime picture is great, but maybe a little dark in some areas.
Thanks. You're right about the darkness though. I think that the night time in the game is so bright that you forget that in real life, it wouldn't be and the moon won't always be shining. On your suggestion, I've added some more lighting, but hopefully still enough darker areas for guests to trip over in  :D

Nemmie, that intro with the logo was great!
The coaster is super nice, great layout, I think the drop is great, remind me of something like hulk. Lots of fantastic and narrow headchoppers also!
Thanks very much mate. 

I just realized I wrote it as "Nightwing" in my previous comment, so I went ahead and corrected that.

"Nightshade" + Wing coaster, you know.

This has to be one of those attractions that forbids people taller than 6'4" from riding, as the number of close calls were too many to count. LOL. I loved it, Nemmie. So majestic and haunting at the same time, with enough queue + path interactions to appreciate. This can easily pass for a real layout and I'm so glad to see you have a real understanding of how pacing works on these coasters because not many people do. Yes, they slow down at parts, and the inversions are taken at fairly moderate speeds, that's how it's supposed to be!
Thanks very much. I hope that taller people can ride as the hitboxes in Planet Coaster are usually a bit over-zealous. The pacing was something I really wanted to try and get right.

This is top notch - incredible work.
I would vacation there in an instant!

-JMAinAZ
Thanks. Ha Ha! There isn't much to do there yet, but you're more than welcome to stay.

At night it´s amazing as well, fantastic work as I said in my posts before. I love this park.
Thank you

I enjoyed the POV of the wing-rider very much.

However I have some points for (hopefully) constructive critcism:
- The layout is really nice, especially the hang-time-surpirse at the end
- I admire the station-building from the outside - and the general shape of the building.
- the inside was nice too, but maybe I'm too picky: the roof was a bit simple
- The other buildings were good, expect from the last break: that was a little bit odd (3:30)
- the environment was ok: some more stones would have been nice.

But overall it was just an awesome ride, the criticism is on a high level and that were some things I wanted to point out.

Thanks. As for roof, I'm always trying to balance detail with performance. I really like to cram detail in but I want to build a park before my PC explodes lol. Nightshade was also built in Alpha as a Blueprint when we had the 1000 piece limit. I've added to it since then but I still need to keep it below 2000  so it can be re-uploaded as a blueprint. Any suggestions on the roof, I'd love to hear.
Also the breakrun was built before we had the optional catwalks and the smash through just before it was inspired by Thunderbird with all it's slatty woodiness.  I agree, it is a little odd, but I'm kinda used to it now.

Thanks everyone.