Has anyone been on a coaster/attraction where a serious accident has occurred?

• 14 replies

Offline StormWarning

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
After the two major accidents at Australia's Dreamworld in the last year, it's occurred to me how many people have been on those rides. In fact, I've been on both the log and rapids rides dozens of times as we held VIP passes for the park at one time, and both have been there at the park at least about 30 years. The log ride re-opened after a rider being a moron stood up on the massive drop and fell out (what did you think would happen?!) and I have ridden it a few times since. It now has literally dozens of warning signs, and cameras everywhere (the moron sorry man claims he was run over by two more flumes and was only noticed when his friend got to the end of the ride and raised the alarm). The rapids is being demolished after the recent accident where a raft jammed and another flipped. I did hear a rumour (I know a couple of people in the police force) that despite having gone over the ride with a fine-tooth comb, having correctly weighted crash-test dummies and knowing the faults that caused the accident, it still took them two weeks to re-create a similar resulting accident. I can only imagine how many times that ride can go around in two weeks of solid testing, it's not a very long ride, really.

Has anyone ever been on a ride before or since where there has been a major accident? Just those two for me. It is truly scary to think it could have happened to you, such a freak thing. Not the log flume, obviously, because I'm not that stupid, but the rapids for sure.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
Yes. I have been on Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland Paris. There were one or even two deadly accidents on that one. That was before my first visit though so it should be perfectly safe now.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
I rode Verrückt a long time ago. I had to do an engineering disaster report and presentation for a class this year, so I wrote about the death on it. It's tragic by itself, but whrn you've ridden it before, it's downright terrifying.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
I since you didn't mention what happend on Verrückt I did some research. I wish I didn't... To anyone who doesn't know what happened don't try to find out. In case I'll ever get to that park I won't ride Verrückt for sure.

I've also been on DLRP's RNRC but the death that occured there had notghng to do with the ride so
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 09:30 AM by Loundlim »

Offline Guy_With_A_Stick

• Come for the creds, stay for the Taco Bell
    • View Profile
^Even if you wanted to, you couldn't. They're removing it at the end of this year.
Top 10: Voyage | Goliath(SFGAm) | Skyrush | Maverick | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | Viper(SFGAm) | Superman: Ride of Steel | Top Thrill Dragster | Lightning Run

I'm the guy who is supposed to be smart, but has less work ethic than a senior after getting accepted to a college.

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
They're being very tricky with their wording, though. They said that they would make a new ride to replace it and that they would be removing the slide from the tower, but it doesn't sound like they're actually taking down the tower itself.

FlightToAtlantis

I've ridden the Cyclone at Coney island.  It’s also the first coaster I’ve ridden.  We rode in 1984.  There were deaths in 1985, 1988, and 2007.  The first two deaths were brought on by the guests themselves.  The third death, a rider over 50 years of age, may have been due to his poor health.

Offline Christipher

• Drachenfire!!!
    • View Profile
Let's be honest here, nearly every issue in an amusement park is either caused by a guest doing something stupid or a guest that went on a ride that they should not have gone on.  Because this defines nearly every accident, there's only so much the park could do before someone does something ridiculously stupid.  The majority of the remaining problems are pretty much caused by lack of maintenance, and a few are simply freak accidents on nobody's part (the one death on Revenge of the Mummy in Orlando was a bad slip and fall onto the track).

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
Or like in the Smiler's case the ride wasn't properly operated

Offline Slurpee_Man

• Mysterous...
    • View Profile
I knew that Verrukt kid...
Ride roller coasters! I command you!

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
Being on Hellevator at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom a few days before the girls feet got cut off was nice.

And I mean, there was that lady who stood up on the Raven without a seatbelt and died at Holiday World, but that's not an "accident." That's suicide.

Offline Tijjer

• The shed is verbolten
    • View Profile
yes I have: Son of the Beast.  When I was tall enough to ride it I always liked going on it a lot even when they switched to lighter trains, took out the loop and replaced it with I think a straight section of track (need conformation on this)?  Thankfully when it had its major accident I was at the water park that day, but despite Son of the Beast's problems I would love to see a wooden hyper coaster attempted again someday.

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile

Accidents are freaky, but if you only think about it, you'll barely walk on the street again...
I think worst than being on a ride that was involved in an accident, knowing somewone who was affected by one is quite heart-breaking as well. Slurpee_Man, this is very sad to hear. :(

I knew a girl who's cousins were killed on that freaky Booster accident where a gondola flew off and crashed onto the ground. I don't know if she was on site and saw members of her family being killed, but anyway that was totally devastating to hear.

Yes. I have been on Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland Paris. There were one or even two deadly accidents on that one. That was before my first visit though so it should be perfectly safe now.

BTM at DLP had two accidents but nobdy died on that ride. A piece of fiber-glass rock fell off on a guest, and a train derailed at low speed.

Offline JKNori

• The one formerly known as Jackoasta
    • View Profile
Runaway Mine Train at Alton Towers. It had an accident in June 2006 where the train split into two. Luckily I didn't go to the park at that time, but the last time I went on it was in September 2017 where it was just me and my best friend on it (no, seriously, the ride train was empty). It still is a popular ride, but we just happened to go on it when kids were at school.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I was there for a very serious accident at an "attraction" but it wasn't a park.  It was the collapse of one of the obstacles at a Warrior Dash event that was held in my town.  It happened 2 years ago yesterday.

It was a real mess.  The city park where they were having the event is just down the road from my main fire station and, as it happened, my fire department was having its annual family picnic thing that day so we had nearly all our troops less than half a mile away when it happened.  We had several dozen folks hurt, some quite severely, and to deal with them we had 5 helicopters on the ground at once and 50 yards of ambulances waiting in line.  I haven't heard of any folks dying from this since, but I'm sure at least a few ain't back to 100% and may never be.

Here's an article from a year ago after we finished the investigation and got the arrest warrants.  It has a pic of the thing shortly before it collapsed.  Note that there are no internal diagonal braces, amongst a number of other serious deviations from the official plans.  The whole thing folded over from right to left due to the absence of diagonal bracing, and folks got pinched between the arches as they came down flat on top of each other.  There were also a number of issues with how the race was run that contributed.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/crime_police/article_1585204e-8394-11e7-bdac-3367ce30ccbe.html

Warrior Dash has not been allowed back in the state of Louisiana since.  The whole obstacle course got thrown together without any inspection by the state fire marshal, so he now won't give them a permit to come back.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page