Star Wars Land - Galaxy's Edge (Batuu)

• 716 replies

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Land - The desert planets of Tatooine and Jakku
« Reply #630 on: July 25, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Blurring the borders of pictures ruins them for me, especially when it covers like 60% of the image.  Blurring, as in smearing vaseline on the lens, is a thing for aging actresses hiding their wrinkles.  So, at least to me, blurring immediately makes me wonder what you're trying to hide, and it spoils the view of all the cool stuff that isn't wrinkled.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Here is a simple tilt-shift video montage of this land (for everyone except Bullethead  ::))

« Reply #632 on: July 28, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Finally a recap of this land. Moving onto Galaxy's Edge next.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 28, 2018, 06:50 PM »
It was nice to see some of your earlier stuff in this land again.  That makes it even more impressive as a whole ;).  This is my favorite area yet.  I really look forward to the next one, especially because it must have been in one of the more recent movies I haven't seen.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #634 on: July 28, 2018, 08:33 PM »
It was nice to see some of your earlier stuff in this land again.  That makes it even more impressive as a whole ;).  This is my favorite area yet.  I really look forward to the next one, especially because it must have been in one of the more recent movies I haven't seen.
The next land is a take off of what Disney is building in their parks. inspired by concept art and descriptions I have been gathering.

« Reply #635 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Wonderful park! Where can we find a global view of the whole park? must be stunning!
I created these shots right after you mentioned this and I never posted them.
Here is what the park looks like currently.

« Reply #636 on: July 30, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Lets take another look at the whole park with descriptions of where all the lands are as we move into the next area called Galaxy's Edge (Batuu). Here is a park map showing the layout.
Also, listed below are once again all the blueprints that were used in Galaxy's Edge from the workshop as I would never have been able to accomplish the look and feel of this park without other's creative minds and building skills.

Galaxy’s Edge - Batuu
Merchant Street 1 – built by Sdanwolf
Clothing Rack 1 – by jamesviago
[Death Star interior pack] Corridor curve- by elekvault
[Death Star interior pack] Straight corridor section by elekvault
[Death Star interior pack] Hangar by elekvault
Pieces from Greebled Sci-Fi Modular Wall Building Set by madbeachfun
Hat Rack by nancon9501
Little Market  by w8erbahn
Large Sci-Fi Corridor by Shmoebagel
Small Market Stall by mbrady7
Marktstand Gebäck / Market Stall Pastries by Michel
Marktstand Früchte / Market Stall Fruits by Michel
Medieval circus carriage by Kao
Pile of Clutter by Talida die Bärtige
Rope bridge by Captain Crumpets
Many set pieces from Star Wars: The Old Republic collection by Sith'ari
steampunk entrance gears of fear by Petitpoilu
SpaceShip (Fighter) by sNEAKYfISH
Tie fighter - By elekvault
Star Wars: Tie Interceptor - By elekvault

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Land - Galaxy's Edge (Batuu)
« Reply #637 on: July 30, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I like when you occasionally show views of the whole park.  it reminds me of just HOW MUCH STUFF is here, all of it beautiful!

Looks like you've already got Galaxy's Edge done.  Can't wait for a tour.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 30, 2018, 12:09 PM »
This is going to be amazing! The park is already super detailed and has been impressive in all aspects.

« Reply #639 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Zooming in...here is an overview of this new land

Here is a map/explanation of the details of this land
-Blue line is the monorail track going through the edge of this area.
-Green is the queue and building (Jedi Temple) that the X-Wing Trainer coaster resides in.
-Salmon is the queue and track layout for the tracked ride Battle of the First Order
-Dark Tan are the streets and alleyways of vermin and vendors
-Lavender is flat ride and queue
-Yellow are shops, food stalls and facilities

« Reply #640 on: August 01, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Ok, confession: I'm not familiar with Batuu.  Is that something from the extended universe?  I guess not knowing will make everything in this area a nice surprise for me.

I do like how you've incorporated stuff from all three trilogies, with heavy and appropriate emphasis on the original.

EDIT:  I just watched your tilt shift video, that is adorable.  Reminds of the original opening for Colbert's show.  I know how to do it in PSP for photos but never even thought about how it would be done in video.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:51 AM by JPAlmighT »

« Reply #641 on: August 01, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Batuu is the new planet where the Disney parks are placing the lands they are building (in their parks). its a planet at the galaxy's edge. This specific area on the planet that the land will represent is now called the Black Spires Outpost.  I will post some concept art to show the look and feel I was going for.

The tilt-shift on video is an edit option I have in the software I use Cyberlink Power Director.

« Reply #643 on: August 02, 2018, 07:44 PM »
While I didn't recreate this look exactly...as you see the work I did in this area it should represent these concept models and art from what Disney is planning in the real stuff they are building in the two parks.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19 PM »
I am sure you are studying the models and different updates about Galaxy's Edge because I know this is going to be very detailed and realistic. I cannot wait to see the lines for both the real version and your version.  :D

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 03, 2018, 03:51 PM »
You definitely set yourself a worthy challenge to match those concept pics.  But I'm sure you've done it with the same success as the other parts of the park ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #646 on: August 04, 2018, 05:34 AM »
Here is a walk through of this land. AS always, I will follow up with more detailed photos afterwards.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 04, 2018, 06:32 AM »
That looks fantastic, Wowman!  I was really impressed with the tour, all the detail, both yours and SDanWolf's.  Can't wait to see the First Order battle ride ;).

You mentioned you couldn't make black spires.  There actually might be a way.  You could load this park in the scenario editor and swap one of the terrain textures to asphalt, then paint the spires with that.  This might cause problems if you've already used the texture you change out, but hopefully it's the one buried under the path billboards so you'd never notice :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #648 on: August 04, 2018, 06:35 AM »
great tip, but the spires are made of both terri-formed ground and rock scenery pieces. I don't know if I want to get into a "trying to match them all up" situation, but I may give it a try.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 04, 2018, 04:46 PM »
great tip, but the spires are made of both terri-formed ground and rock scenery pieces. I don't know if I want to get into a "trying to match them all up" situation, but I may give it a try.

The tropical rocks are pretty black-ish as they are probably intended to be lava.  If the contrast with the asphalt texture is too great, you might also try using a tropical rock texture or perhaps the concrete texture.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #650 on: August 06, 2018, 06:06 AM »
I already have all my screen captures done, so what I will be showing here is how the park looks right now. I will still try and find time to go back and experiment a bit and see if I can make them darker.

Looking out across this land from above is not as impressive as some of the other stuff I have done. This land is a more view form "ground level" area.

Offline xRBz

• Comeback baby!
    • View Profile
    • richardblok.com
« Reply #651 on: August 06, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Wow! Amazing! Reminds me of Force World I did (shameless self plug lol) but executed 10, maybe 20 times better! Love it!

Offline Kablary

• Kuh - Blah - Ree
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 07, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I haven't played Planet Coaster, but I've been watching a lot of build videos and stalking threads like this and all I can ever say is WOW..... you people are talented. The detail - D E T A I L - that goes into your project is mind-blowing. It's also very discouraging to someone (ME) who has never played and likely won't because they'll never reach the same skill level :p

Really excited to see MOARRRR

« Reply #653 on: August 08, 2018, 05:32 AM »
I haven't played Planet Coaster, but I've been watching a lot of build videos and stalking threads like this and all I can ever say is WOW..... you people are talented. The detail - D E T A I L - that goes into your project is mind-blowing. It's also very discouraging to someone (ME) who has never played and likely won't because they'll never reach the same skill level :p

Really excited to see MOARRRR
honestly, I didn't have this level of detail when I first started. All my buildings were square boxes. You learn as you go, watch what others are doing, and you advance more and more as you play. Or, just download what others already created from the workshop. If you do that and dis-assemble the buildings, you can see how they did it and learn from that.

« Reply #654 on: August 08, 2018, 05:33 AM »
Also, architecturally, my buildings are a mess. I have no sense of how a structure should really be made. I just start piecing stuff together and add stuff to it to get what I come up with.

« Reply #655 on: August 08, 2018, 05:42 AM »
One more overhead shot

Here is a behind the scenes look. This is what it looks like when I first started building (what I'm calling Street 2). Start with the basics and just keep adding stuff. I usually do paths, then shops, then walls and scenery. Lastly I add the ground covers, then the roofs or whatever if I don't use a proper roof. Then I go back and add all the lighting. That is "Street 1" in the background that Sdanwolf created and added for me, so that area is already completed in this photo.

You can also see the indoor eating area right behind this Street 2 where some of the interior and the roofing has already been placed.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 08, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Looks really nice, Wowman!  Yeah, the view from the rooftops isn't as catchy as the other areas, but it's still quite good and the trained eye can appreciate how these parts fit into the cool stuff below.

@Kablary:  You need to get into PC.  You'll really enjoy it.  Seriously, I have neither talent nor imagination but I get along OK with a bit of practice and much stealing of ideas from others :).  BTW, you talk with a Kerbal accent with that "MOOAARRR!!" thing.  Coincidence? :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Kablary

• Kuh - Blah - Ree
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 08, 2018, 01:22 PM »
BTW, you talk with a Kerbal accent with that "MOOAARRR!!" thing.  Coincidence? :D

Not familiar with Kerbal accents...I was channeling Cookie Monster  :-[

And Wowman, I think - at least for the crowded marketplace vibe Galaxy's Edge has - random or chaotic placement of buildings and thematic elements sort of works to your advantage here. But it certainly doesn't come off as haphazard!

« Reply #658 on: August 10, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Here is the main entrance to this land from the 'mainstreet' area of the park. This is the entrance to what I call street 1 that we will take a closer look at now. BTW - Some of these arches and buildings have been posted to my workshop as well.

Here is a closer look as you enter through the arch

The busy marketplace. Note the maggots for sale scenery piece I made that is on the far right. Its pretty cool in motion with them wiggling on the hooks.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:20 AM by wowmanrct »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 10, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Those giant maggots look tasty.  I've had beetle grubs sautéed in olive oil with some Tony Chachere's.  MMM MMM good!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page