• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Future World 1899 - Iron Bullet POV
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Wow Wow Wow!!! Absolutely incredible!

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
Re: Future World 1899 - A Development History...
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Thanks for the great comments everyone :D

I received a comment on the Twisted Steel Youtube video recently which struck me:

Pascal Gunzenhauser
2 days ago

"It's a great and beautifully themed coaster and i cannot oversee the inspiration you got from Baron and Nemesis. But if i look at it  as an addition to the park, why add another invert? in my opinion a t-rex also fits the theme and would have added another coaster type to the parks portfolio."

Pascal didn't realise that Flying Ace wasn't in the park anymore. After all, why would he? Apart from posting every couple of months that I'm reworking the park yet again it's hard to work out exactly what is or isn't in the park.

I have therefore decided to take trip down memory lane. Here is a quick overview of the versions of the park from the past, what is in the present version, and how we got here.

1. Future Expo 1893

Released rides:
None

This version is the first version made. It didn't get all that far, but you can spot screenshots of it on page one of this thread. It was made before the many expansions and updates to Planet Coaster and is mostly me just playing around. I only include it in this list because it happens to have been where this thread started.

2. Future World 1899 - v1

Released rides:
-Iron Horse (v.1)
-Autobhan

This version begins to become a bit more familiar. The entry ticket booths are made for the first time, and the core colour scheme of the park begins to become apparent. A few rides were released from this version, which were the first Iron Horse POV and the first car ride, Autobahn. Flying Ace is present in the park, as is a first draft for Da Vinci River Adventure, though neither version of these rides is released as a POV from this specific version of the park.

This park was abandoned for two main reasons. The first was that the release of the Spooky Pack meant that Revolutions (a key ride from the RCT3 version of the park) was now possible, however I had made no space for it. You'll note that, whilst not built in any of them to date, all subsequent versions of the park have the facade ready for the ride. The second reason was that the park was not all that 'futuristic' and really I wanted to try and have more buildings in the park.

POVs:

3. Future World 1899 - v2

Released rides:
-World of Motors (v.1)
-Iron Horse (v.2)
-Flying Ace (v.1)
-Underground Express
-Da Vinci River Adventure
-Gears of Power (steam only)
-Energiser (steam only)

This version features space for Revolutions (again, still not even started as a ride!) and has a more built up feel to it. Autobahn has become a more themed World of Motors and more coasters are included. Da Vinci River Adventure was made, but never properly positioned in the park. Flying Ace was first recorded here and Iron Horse was updated as a POV in this park.

To date this version yielded the most POVs and many of the buildings and structures of this version have been carried through to the most recent version of the park. Amongst the structures retained to this day are the Underground Express, the city skyline skyscrapers, the 'refuel depot' snack building, Gears of Power, Turbine and the Revolutions facade building.

The reason for the abandonment of this park is Underground Express and Skyrider. Underground Express was the last ride made and released from this park, and the moment I made this I began to see a missed opportunity for the park to become like a futuristic city and not, as it currently was, a spaced out park. I wanted to make a densely built metropolis with rides mixed together. I started to build Skyrider to make this happen, however I decided that it may be better to start over again.

Worth noting that, whilst I generally re-recorded videos for retained rides when I rebooted the park, Underground Express' current POV was filmed in version 2 and remains this way still. You can notice this in the off-ride facade footage, which doesn't match the current (v4) park.

POVs:

4. Future World 1899 - v3.

Released rides:
-Underground Express (video recorded in Future World 1899 - v2)
-Skyrider
-War of the Worlds
-Flying Ace (v.2)
-Cafe Chaos (steam only)

This version of the park really amped up the 'city' style of the park as I had desired upon abandoning Future World 1899 - v2. The Skyrider coaster was a great success, Underground Express fit in nicely and even Flying Ace slot into the park well. War of the Worlds was added as a completely new ride as well.

So why abandon it?

The main reason for scrapping this version of the park was a layout one. I wanted the city to really envelope guests, and I wanted the city to feel complete. The Skyrider was cool, but it never crossed over paths or really surrounded guests. Likewise I wanted to movement around the city, like cars or a monorail or both. In the end it was this really killed the park. It was architecturally interesting but sterile. I never scrapped Skyrider because it was bad, but just because I wanted to make it better. Another minor factor was that I was in such haste to add the finished War of the Worlds ride into the park that I placed it somewhere which, in hindsight, was just not great for the 'flow' of the park.

You can see from the overview that rides were already in progress as this park version was ditched. Iron Bullet is in progress, and Cafe Chaos was constructed and released as a workshop blueprint. Both of these would find there way into the next (current) version of the park.

POVs:

5. Future World 1899 - v4

Released rides:
-Underground Express (video recorded in Future World 1899 - v2)
-Hotel Futura
-Twisted Steel
-Iron Bullet
-Gears of Power (steam only)
-Cafe Chaos (steam only)

As you can quickly see, this park is a lot more compact than previous versions. Rather than have the Skyrider coaster on its own, its replacement (Iron Bullet) soars over paths, a car ride and above and under a peoplemover style ride. This is really what I wanted out of the 'city' themed section. Underground Express fits in quite close to the newest dark ride, Hotel Futura, and they are both tight with Iron Bullet and the city theming. Cafe Chaos has a home in the park now too, as do the previously created Gears of Power and Turbine from Future World 1899 - v2. World of Motors (similar to the one found in Future World 1899 - v2, but goes around the Metropolis scenery) and Magnet Rail are nearly finished and should be released in a few weeks/months.

I won't pretend I'm totally happy (let's face it, I'm never completely happy), but it's much closer. I'm still uneasy with how the two dark rides block expansion to the right, which annoys me a bit. I also think the industrial section (of which the only POV is Twisted Steel), is a bit half-baked at the moment. However, both of these things aren't critical, nor do they require the overhauls which have happened with other 'issues'.

POVs:

The plan now is to reach a point of 'opening' the park with 10 or so rides finished, and then expand it with other rides, many of which are already planned. Things like War of the Worlds may reappear later, but don't fit in with the 'opening' of the park.

The big elephant in the room at the moment is Revolutions. I have every intention of making it, but I'm scared to start it! This might sound mad, but I'm so determined to make it perfect that I'm nervous to being until I've found the perfect way to make it. I'm essentially delaying it until I've had enough practice and enough DLCs have been released to make it fantastic. Whether I get it to open with the park on 'opening day' I don't yet know. I feel I should start it really!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:11 AM by Hethetheth »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I enjoyed seeing all the early versions, and how this park has changed and improved over time. It's obviously a labor of love, and a bit of an obsession too I think. ;). I look forward to the day you finally open the park and I can a stroll through it in person. That will probably be v99, at the rate you're going.  :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2018, 11:51 AM »
V99 if you're lucky! Since posting this I've already relocated Cafe Chaos. I'm destined to be at this forever.

I'd definitely call it an obsession.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2018, 02:25 PM »
I'd definitely call it an obsession.

I think psychologists would have several other names for it, most ending in "-osis" :D.

I certaily hope you can find a new home here for War of the Worlds, which was totally awesome, and that you don't scrap it all again because, while you've definitely improved the park over time, I find the current version totally good enough and just want to see the whole thing finished so I can download it ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2018, 03:40 AM »
I am fairly certain War of the Worlds will eventually re-appear in the park. There's a planned section of the park I'm provisionally calling the 'Outer Limits', which I'd like to contain War of the Worlds, Sub Terra (a Journey to the Centre of the Earth themed dive coaster) and Lunar Voyage (indoor launched coaster). Neither of those last two have been started as I definitely don't plan them to be in 'Phase 1' of the park.

I've done some layout changes, though mercifully this is all within the most recent park file and not a complete rebuild ;). I've moved Cafe Chaos to the left side of the park to clear roof for an expansion path and an additional ride where Cafe Chaos used to be. I've also moved some of the 'Industrial World' themed section away temporarily to accommodate for another new ride.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Those two new rides are Sky Wheel and Roller POSTer.

Sky Wheel occupies a portion of the Cafe Chaos site, allowing for a larger expansion path next to the ride. I really liked the idea of a ferris wheel in the park, and you can even see the ferris wheel build and themed but not yet placed in the above 'before' image. Originally I wanted it to be wanted it to be a in park/festival type area, but I decided this weekend to put it in the city instead.

Roller POSTer came completely out of nowhere. I had decided I wanted to expand the Metropolis area since I was relocating Cafe Chaos, but hadn't really thought of what additional rides I could have. I sat down with a pen and paper and noted down what mundane activities might happen in cities that I could turn into quirky steampunk rides, and thought of the idea of a high-speed delivery service. Think Amazon on wheels, flying around skyscrapers and up to apartment doors.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2018, 04:51 AM »
Good choice on the ferris wheel location.  I think it fits in perfectly.

That Roller POSTer is hilarious.  I love those big cargo cranes on the roof.  Your description of the ride reminds me of the delivery system in the Earth Kingdom cities in the "Avatar" anime series, too.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Hey guys, not quite an 'update...more of a 'down-date'. I've decided to remove a few rides. Twisted Steel and the unfinished World of Motors. If I'm being honest, both rides were slightly weak. World of Motor's main issue was that it greatly restricted expansions and its removal means I can add in more smaller rides.

As you can see here, the left side of the park is now wide open for a proper Metropolis expansion.

This leaves the current roster of rides as:

- Iron Bullet (will receive new theming as it bordered World of Motors)
- Hotel Futura
- Cafe Chaos (still likely to be moved)
- Underground Express (ol' faithful still remains)
- Magnet-Rail (will receive an amended layout)
- Revolutions (facade in place, yet to be started though!)
- Sky Wheel

As you can see, it's not the largest list of rides, so I have a few which I'd definitely like to try and add back in for 'Phase 1':

- A car themed tracked ride (I just love them and really want to put some back in)
- A carousel
- A drop tower
- Another dark ride.

Sorry for the weak update, as you may have seen Spectre is keeping me occupied!

Heth.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Long time no see SGW!

I have been incredibly busy in my personal life, and also spent a bit of time on Phantom Factory.

Recently I have begun reworking the park yet again. Twisted Steel met its end (RIP), as did a few structures. Rather than bore people with tiny changes that occurred over the last few weeks I thought I'd let things progress further and then post once I had something more concrete.

Iron Bullet has had its station repositioned and layout amended. The reason for this is to put its station building in a more prominent location. Now the station is immediately visible when you exit the entrance hall / covered entry. I have also changed the layout so that is goes over more paths. You will also notice that there's another inverted coaster visible. This is a new flying themed coaster  which soars over Iron Bullet and interacts with buildings in the Metropolis.

Image is 'Work in Progress'

On the opposite side of the main plaza is a new structure: the clocktower.

Image is 'Work in Progress'

Other changes in progress:

- Revolutions' building had been amended to add in more 'rustic' colours, as have other minor buildings
- The entrance hall / covered entry now has exits to either side in order to enable easier expansion.
- The inverted coaster, now in the location of the former Iron Bullet station, has a lengthy esplanade leading up to it, which will form a flight themed area.

That's all for now,

Heth out. :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Love all the iron scrollwork and gears on the clock tower, the Sky Wheel and everywhere else. :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Heth, I love all your work so I'm always pained when you destroy some of it, even if you replace it with something even better.  It seems so iconoclastic ;).

Are you married?  If so, your spouse must have the patience of a saint :D

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16 AM »
I'm engaged rather than married, and if anything I'm probably the patient one of us haha.

With rides and parks of other themes I'm less fussy because I'm just happy to release rides. However, futuristic themes (and also haunted theming) are my favourites, and so I'm always striving to absolutely perfect them. I guess if I wasn't so picky I'd have finished this by now, but in the end I enjoy working on this.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
Re: Future World 1899 -Starting Again....Again
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2019, 03:05 PM »
The future can be changed!

Future World 1899 is a pet project of mine (/obsession) for YEARS. It is a park themed to a retro-sci fi as imagined by the Victorians, a theme I've been exploring for literally years. I keep starting and abandoning different 'versions' of the park so often that I've lost track of which number I'm even on by this point.

I finish rides, record POVs and think I'm on to the 'final' version, and then I look back and eventually conclude I could do better. This often means chucking old recorded and released rides in the bin. It also often means scrapping EVERYTHING and starting again.

A couple of months ago I decided to do just this....again. I abandoned a park which took months and months to make and started again, piece by piece. I thought this would be risky, maybe a bit mad. At the risk of boring everyone by presenting yet another new version of the park, I decided to keep updates to myself for a while until I reached a certain point.

Today though I am pleased to be able to show you the newest version of Future World 1899. This time I really have binned virtually everything, starting all but a few small structures and objects again in their entirety. I am pleased to say that I feel this decision was a good one, as I feel the park looks much much better.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Ooh, both versions are beautiful and exciting. The new (latest ;)) version is still recognizable as Future World 1899. Mainly by your building style, but also because of the juxtaposition of the Victorian structures with modern coasters and such. Will there be another Hotel Futura?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:12 PM by JB »

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2019, 01:22 AM »
Hotel Futura will actually be the only ride carried over exactly as it is, though the exterior may change. It's a rare ride where there's nothing I want to change internally!

Underground Express survives...sort of. I've merged the themes of Underground Express, Skyrider and Iron Bullet into one train themed mine train ride with the interior dark underground themed section and a big outdoor section going around skyscrapers and buildings. It is called Metropolis Express.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:20 AM by Hethetheth »

Offline Tim_K

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2019, 04:30 AM »
Man that looks amazing! I can't even imagine scrapping the previous version of your park. Although I have to admit there are some clear improvements.
First in the architecture with the Deco windows, that look so much cleaner than the previous buildings.
Secondly that first shot is incredible and it really shows how nicely the coaster flows around the city. It makes the previous version's coaster look stale in comparison, but I'd never have noticed it if you didn't go around and make a better one.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and happy to hear you're keeping Hotel Futura as I think it's an impeccably designed ride.

Offline Germs

• Respectable Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I've loved every version of this project so much. The new buildings definitely pop a bit more with those big windows, and the flying coaster looks very fun!

Offline Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2019, 02:25 AM »
Iam in awe!
Really awesome work , was already wondering when Planet Coaster released what you will do with it. You pulled off the Victorian style perfectly.
Very nice done and looking forward to see more!

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2019, 10:12 AM »
If I had a pound for every time you restarted this project.... jeeeeze

Excited to see what comes next!

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2019, 07:23 AM »
The flying coaster is perfectly integrated into the town. Looks fresh and unique. GReat style!