More Concept Images of Super Nintendo World

• 14 replies

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« on: December 12, 2016, 03:00 PM »
The area is set to open first at Universal Studios in Japan, and will come to Universal's American parks some time after that.

Looks interesting so far. I'm not a huge Nintendo fan, but this is something I'll be watching closely.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:47 PM by Future Imagineer »
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Guy_With_A_Stick

• Come for the creds, stay for the Taco Bell
    • View Profile
Re: First concept art of Super Nintendo World
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:16 PM »
I just hope they don't do ONLY Mario. A LoZ Dark ride would be amazing.
Top 10: Voyage | Goliath(SFGAm) | Skyrush | Maverick | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | Viper(SFGAm) | Superman: Ride of Steel | Top Thrill Dragster | Lightning Run

I'm the guy who is supposed to be smart, but has less work ethic than a senior after getting accepted to a college.

Offline thylacine

• Expect something soonish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:32 AM »
I am super excited about this! I can't wait. Its also inspired me to work in RCT3 again, so expect something soon. Did you guys also see the new patents that Universal has filed? One is for a mine cart ride which we are assuming is for Donkey Kong.

-thy1acine

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:57 AM »
That's cheating on the jump  :P

The project certainly looks interesting, if ambitious.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42 PM »
I saw info about the patents a few days ago. it's an interesting idea for sure, but I have reservations about how effectively it can be executed, particularly in relation to the maneuvers the vehicle is realistically capable of and the extent to which they can hide the mechanism.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:49 PM by Future Imagineer »
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Wait... Ive seen this before.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Similar but not quite the same thing ^

I think this one the top flat track is just to have an illusion of a track and doesn't serve a purpose other than looks and perhaps to hold the weight of the car.  This allows the car to "jump the track" at points.  The real track is the bottom sideways one which is out of sight of the riders.

I could see this being used for both Donkey Kong and Mario Kart functions.

Jumping over barrels.  Jumping over lava.  Jumping over infinitely deep pits of nothingness.

Offline LoneWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 09:20 PM »
I'm all for this if they limit the movie screens. Universal has a nasty habit of making every ride 3D and basically more movie than darkride. The new king kong for example is basically all CGI movies. Awful.

Unfortunately I think Nitendo will be a lot of movies. It kinda has too.
Proud Member of: Dutcher's Outer Worldly Network, fun for all and all for fun!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I'm all for this if they limit the movie screens. Universal has a nasty habit of making every ride 3D and basically more movie than darkride. The new king kong for example is basically all CGI movies. Awful.

Unfortunately I think Nitendo will be a lot of movies. It kinda has too.

If you noticed some interesting things spoken when it was announced of all three major UPR parks getting Nintendo (Osaka, Hollywood, Orlando); it mentioned very clearly that they don't want it to feel like your just playing a video game. Along with some internal hearings i've had; SNW will be something that UPR needs as they have heard complaints about Screen-based attractions as they intend on resolving that issue very massively with Nintendo.

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 09:17 PM »
I can certainly see this fitting in very well in Japan. But here... I dunno. It seems so easy to cross that border where the whole land is tacky and bland. It'll take some serious designing skills to pull it off.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 03:58 PM »
^ I think that's probably my biggest concern about this whole concept. It's going to be difficult to pull off this area aesthetically and the balance between an authentic and a realistic/appealing look will be tricky to find. Go too far in one direction and it won't work. If it looks too simplistic and cartoony, then they run the risk of creating an area that just looks tacky. If they make it too realistic, then there's an issue of it not feeling like the source material. Both ends of the spectrum are a problem for the level of immersion. If it's tacky, you feel you're not in a real place; if it's too realistic you feel you're some place else, but not in a Nintendo world.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I stumbled across this article from about a month ago that has some more patent images and drawings. If these patents are in fact for the mario Kart ride it looks like projections will be used pretty extensively (as expected) but there also seems to be a handful of practical effects and physical scenes thrown into the mix.

This drawing has me the most confused:

Are those doorways, or whatever they are, on a track that moves...?

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Universal just released a lot more concept images depicting what we we ill see in SWN.

Mario Kart ride:

Castle:

Donkey Kong roller coaster:

Donkey Kong playground:

And finally, some sort of Zelda theater show, maybe?

Re: More Concept Images of Super Nintendo World
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 02:37 PM »
It should be wise, to keep in mind of what is seen here being from the original pitch given to Nintendo back in 2014.

It does not represent the accurate depiction of the upcoming land for Universal Studios Osaka, Orlando, and Hollywood.

Offline Oink`

• It's a small world...
    • View Profile
Re: More Concept Images of Super Nintendo World
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:01 AM »
A video summarizing much of the above:

Manager of:
1. Nintendoland U.S.A.
2. The Land of Ooo (Adventure Time theme park)
3. Silent Hill: The Theme Park
4. Atlantea and Pacifica (Pirates vs. Ninjas theme park)