Sycamore Grove Amusement Park

• 35 replies

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Sycamore Grove Amusement Park
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 04:53 AM »
What a wonderful park! I really love the density and history associated with it!

Offline dinoco

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Just like the park itself, this thread needs to rest from time to time, only to bring back nostalgic amusement park memories whenever time is ripe (and my potato of computer can handle the game). And since it's opening time for most parks by now, let's take a look at how Sycamore Grove is doing this season.
Time to raise this one from the dead, I guess.
In our very own non-linear fashion, let's take a couple of minutes for a stroll through the park in the form it would've been after re-opening probably sometime in the eighties. Refresh on what's been and see what's new to come.

Arriving via public transportation, the skyline has not changed at first glance. Rumors had it that the park had been building stuff though marketing wasn't huge.

Due to the expected visitors and to fit the grown size of the park, a new hotel was added. Also the park added a monorail to their on-
property transportation since some guests complained about long walks.

The gateway between reality and a wonderful day out in the Grove. It was always great when the music came up...

... and you were getting closer to your destination.

Looking over the new still being developed area.

Reaching the end of the walkway the rushing of the Log Flume would add to the sounds of the excited guests.

Merging with the guests who arrived by car.

Get your tickets and step right in.

Instead of going straight ahead to the Chairswing and Memory Lane Midway, we turn to our right...

...to head straight to Hydra.

Could not pass by this view.

Now let's continue to Hydra passing under the Log Flume.

There it was, test running in the glorious morning sun.

The tunneled batwing was the ride's most famous element and known to pack a punch.

The layout was a twisted mess of steel, an Arrow design on the pinnacle of their achievement. Two vertical loops, the batwing going
underground, and a pair of twisty corkscrews tied together with a bunch of helixes thrilled everybody.

The layout was low to the ground so there were no good angles from this side. This was to surprise riders again and again. Also, the
queue for the Log Flume was filling up by now.

One of the most popular attractions.

You'd venture out of the cove for a couple of soothing minutes, until the drops eventually had to come.

An indoor drop and some cheap theming.

Let's go somewhere else now, but not without another look at the batwing.

Instead we'll pass the swinging ship and head towards Memory Lane Midway.

It was still early and people were´slowly spreading around.

There was a new path to another area with a couple of new rides and access to Memory Lane Midway. Instead of going down the left as  before, let's head out there.

One of the new rides was this classic flying thingy one.

And then there it was - an actual Flying Turns ride. Despite rumors of not being able to pull it off, the park actually opened their very own Flying Turns.

You'd walk into the guts of the structure to enter the ride.

It also had a straight drop section in the middle of the layout.

This was unheard of in bobsled rollercoasters!

Exiting on the other side was the extension of Memory Lane Midway.

The designers gave it their best to not have the ride destroy the skyline of the park with it's massive wooden structure.

A view from the Big Wheel at the Flying Turns.

And from the lighthouse.

Ending this update with a view from the Gothaburgen Hotel in the evening teasing another new ride to come.

Thank you for sticking with me through this one, hope you enjoyed the little walk through the park.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Lots of great screenshots. It's such a great little park. Love the natural landscaping surrounding it too.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Great presentation, dinoco. I like how the path goes under the Log Flume, but at that point the Flume is themed to look like an Alpine building, so you don't really realize you're walking under the track. And I like how the guests "walk into the guts" of the Flying Turns entrance, seeing all that clutter of wood and track everywhere. :up:

Offline PatrikV

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 07:19 PM »
A cool little story, made fun to read it. The Park looks lovely. Sometimes i really like those little parks witch not that overdose of big rides and theming. Ok it will be growing up, but in a organic way.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30 PM »
"Guts" is quite appropriate for a Flying Turns.  I can never decide if they look more like eviscerated intestines or a dressed and skinned snake carcass ready to be filleted for fritters, whose eviscerated intestines lie in a pile at your feet.  Either way, I like it ;).
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page