Wonder World (Rocky River Rowboats)

• 1198 replies

Offline Guy_With_A_Stick

• Come for the creds, stay for the Taco Bell
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder World (Sneak Peek)
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58 PM »
I really really like it, but I can't help but to think that it looks a bit clean? It's not your fault, the art style in PC is cleaner than the one in RCT3, but I still think the area could do with a few props here and there. Make it look a little more rustic, and less modern(especially the chimney area).

The building still looks great regardless, and am super excited to see more!
Top 10: Voyage | Goliath(SFGAm) | Skyrush | Maverick | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | Viper(SFGAm) | Superman: Ride of Steel | Top Thrill Dragster | Lightning Run

I'm the guy who is supposed to be smart, but has less work ethic than a senior after getting accepted to a college.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12 AM »
I really really like it, but I can't help but to think that it looks a bit clean? It's not your fault, the art style in PC is cleaner than the one in RCT3, but I still think the area could do with a few props here and there. Make it look a little more rustic, and less modern(especially the chimney area).
I agree 100%. But keep in mind this is early construction. Props and landscaping will be added later. And I expect as Frontier adds more objects and building materials, things could change drastically. But I do appreciate the helpful criticism. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54 AM »
Definitely an improvement over RCT3! That's a great way to make some shutters BTW.

May I ask how you chose the themes for the lands of Wonder World? For us it was quite logical to make an alpine village in RCT3 simply because we had alpine scenery, but toothsticks and cardboard don't really have a theme...

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 04:15 AM »
YEAH that building looks great! i like the build where the smokes came out (dont know the word in english -.-)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Good Job!  :up:
I agree with jay, the building on the first picture is very nice.
Life is a rollercoaster...

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Everything's looking great and it's so great to see Catfish Cove making it's return. I really like the new chimney. It gives the building more character, I think.

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 08:15 AM »
OK, I'll bite. What did you make the shutters out of?

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Looking wonderful. Loving the clean builds. Are you going to keep the rigidity of the original catfish cove or are the facades going to be more mish-mashed together and staggered a little more? Just curious.

Really enjoy the waterfront restaurant ant the jagged edges of the seating area. It contrasts well with Expo3000 in the background.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42 PM »
YEAH that building looks great! i like the build where the smokes came out (dont know the word in english -.-)
Chimney ;)

Good Job!  :up:
I agree with jay, the building on the first picture is very nice.
Thanks tornado.

May I ask how you chose the themes for the lands of Wonder World? For us it was quite logical to make an alpine village in RCT3 simply because we had alpine scenery, but toothsticks and cardboard don't really have a theme...
I really can't remember what my original motivation for creating each land was. I know I created Alpine Village because I really like that style of architecture. But if memory serves me right, there was no alpine scenery in vanilla RCT3. I made it. ;)

Looking wonderful. Loving the clean builds. Are you going to keep the rigidity of the original catfish cove or are the facades going to be more mish-mashed together and staggered a little more? Just curious.
Catfish Cove is going to follow the layout of the model fairly closely. I'll finally be able to make the main street on a 45 degree angle which will make it fit alongside Alpine Village much better. The town is built mostly alongside the water with much of it upon rustic docks. This is incredibly difficult to do in PC. Couple that with the fact that I'll be doing interiors makes it hard to create a mish-mash style. But it will be much less rigid than the RCT3 version.

Everything's looking great and it's so great to see Catfish Cove making it's return. I really like the new chimney. It gives the building more character, I think.
Thanks. The old chimney's position made little sense, as it was right behind a window. So moving it and making it more prominent was a needed change.

OK, I'll bite. What did you make the shutters out of?
The edge of the 2m Thick Wood Beam. Not perfect, but I'm hoping for some stand-alone shutters from Frontier for replacement in the future (or UGC, when that gets implemented). In fact, I expect to make a lot of changes in the future, as many objects I'm settling for now are placeholders until something better is available.

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2017, 05:10 AM »
Totally love the custom shutters.  Totally plan to steal the idea.

I'm not worried about the mountains, a few swampy trees and peeps will never notice them.  (Please tell Mr. Wonder not to move the mountains, it will deplete the entire budget.)   :P

Can't wait to see more!

Offline Mr. Wonder

• CEO Wonder Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2017, 03:44 PM »
I'm not worried about the mountains, a few swampy trees and peeps will never notice them.  (Please tell Mr. Wonder not to move the mountains, it will deplete the entire budget.)   :P
If I could do it cheaply, I would. ;)

The Expo 3000 skyline so far.

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27 PM »
I wonder what that big dome is for. Is there gonna be a ride in there, perhaps a coaster?

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Lol, it's just crazy how iconic those buildings have become...it's like I've been there so many times and it's so fun seeing it recreated in PC...until you realize this is a recreation...of a recreation...of a recreation...of a model. Ha. It's so good.

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09 PM »
That dome... I wonder what it is.  ;D

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Holy crap it looks awesome. Such a cool skyline. I seriously cant want to see people in the park. I envy you for attempting interiors.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Mr Wonder strikes again...  And its looking better than ever
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Lol, it's just crazy how iconic those buildings have become...it's like I've been there so many times and it's so fun seeing it recreated in PC...until you realize this is a recreation...of a recreation...of a recreation...of a model. Ha. It's so good.
Thanks. I'm hoping this is the last recreation. :)

That dome... I wonder what it is.  ;D
I wonder what that big dome is for. Is there gonna be a ride in there, perhaps a coaster?
Perhaps...

Mr Wonder strikes again...  And its looking better than ever
Thank you.

Holy crap it looks awesome. Such a cool skyline. I seriously cant want to see people in the park. I envy you for attempting interiors.
And I've got another interior to show...

The Space Port Storage Lockers. Perkins looks excited.

The interior.

« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2017, 02:10 AM »
I love that some day people who have never been on these forums will be downloading this on Steam and being mindblown when they discover all of the interiors.

But that skyline shot above is my favorite thing you've posted so far on this project.

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2017, 02:40 AM »
Looks great! What else can I say?

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Every time I see an update, I kinda giggle a little. It just amazes me how you get a RCT3 vibe so it looks so familiar, but then everything has this new, modern, shiny polish.

That skyline picture is epic. And that dome. A new up to date War Of The Worlds, perhaps?

And as others have pointed out, these buildings are just SO iconic now. You show us little sneak-peaks and sometimes it's just the edge of the building poking into view, but we recognize them immediately. And when you stop to think about it, we're recognizing buildings that aren't even real, that none of us have ever seen in real life, that have never existed except for your wonderful models. And yet, we're all so familiar with them, it's like we're all recognizing something from fond childhood memories. And that is an amazing achievement.

Offline Gianni

• Hello there
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2017, 03:59 AM »
Overload on nostalgia here. I remember being baffled by the first wonderworld, even without the CS.
So far the recreation looks amazing. The pictures have a level of detail even RCT3 CS can not reach, good job Planet Coaster, great job shyguy!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2017, 11:30 PM »
that dome! Damn shy you naild it! great work!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21 PM »
But that skyline shot above is my favorite thing you've posted so far on this project.
Thanks. I'll post lots more as the project continues.

Looks great! What else can I say?
Thanks, citytrader.

Every time I see an update, I kinda giggle a little. It just amazes me how you get a RCT3 vibe so it looks so familiar, but then everything has this new, modern, shiny polish.

That skyline picture is epic. And that dome. A new up to date War Of The Worlds, perhaps?

And as others have pointed out, these buildings are just SO iconic now. You show us little sneak-peaks and sometimes it's just the edge of the building poking into view, but we recognize them immediately. And when you stop to think about it, we're recognizing buildings that aren't even real, that none of us have ever seen in real life, that have never existed except for your wonderful models. And yet, we're all so familiar with them, it's like we're all recognizing something from fond childhood memories. And that is an amazing achievement.
Yes, this is definitely bringing back that giddy feeling I had when first seeing Wonder World materialize in the early days of RCT3. Planet Coaster is making it possible to imagine Wonder World as a real park...the game looks so good. And the dome is not War of the Worlds, but part of the World of the Future complex. WOTW was not part of the original plans and model, but I still have tentative plans of bringing back that attraction, either in Wonder World or perhaps another park...

that dome! Damn shy you naild it! great work!
Thanks Jay.

Overload on nostalgia here. I remember being baffled by the first wonderworld, even without the CS.
So far the recreation looks amazing. The pictures have a level of detail even RCT3 CS can not reach, good job Planet Coaster, great job shyguy!
Thanks Gianni.

The Transport Center Monorail Station. (Still working on getting the announcement signs to sink with the monorail arrival ;))

Offline KiDFoX

• Legendary RCT3 Architect - Planet Coaster Newb..
    • View Profile
    • Fox Amusements - The site I have not touched in years
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Love the interiors 
Fox Amusements is the largest, longest continuously running, most successful virtual theme park company in the Tycoon type games communities.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMkrN91L2KiAfAyu_Zi6HDw

@foxamusements

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02 AM »
Next level, next level!

You have managed to really push the limits here. Sleek, modern, wonderful interior!

Syncing the signs, really? Amazing!

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2017, 07:39 PM »
That panorama is exciting. All the monumental pavilions are coming together nicely to give it that Expo look.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :)

Progress is quite slow right now. Just a lot of early construction and laying foundations. Nothing very exciting to show.

There is this, though...

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 02:48 PM »
That looks great! Love those supports! Are they entirely made with the shapes?

So, I'm curious, are you laying out the entire footprint for Wonder World? Or just the Expo area? I guess I'm interested in your process. When I was working on DA, I would lay everything out on paper, paint the terrain for that bench, do the general terra forming, then create all the paths, then build section by section, sometimes structure by structure.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I only wish PC gave you more control over the sun. Those massive atriums would look amazing if you could perfectly point the sun patterns. The lighting engine is so underutilized in this game, it frustrates me. The architecture is amazing, I hope that you can figure out a good way to get the night shots to turn out once you get that far. Or maybe by then the floodlights won't be the size of a person.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2017, 03:22 PM »
That looks great! Love those supports! Are they entirely made with the shapes?

So, I'm curious, are you laying out the entire footprint for Wonder World? Or just the Expo area? I guess I'm interested in your process. When I was working on DA, I would lay everything out on paper, paint the terrain for that bench, do the general terra forming, then create all the paths, then build section by section, sometimes structure by structure.
The supports are made from the shapes.

As for the process, I am laying out the entire park. I have roughly marked the borders for each land and am roughly placing the foundations for major attractions, etc. I have started building simple shapes for some of the buildings, to get the proper scale and to make sure things are going to line up properly. Especially Catfish Cove and Alpine Village, which are built facing each other on opposite sides of a river. So right now, there a construction "projects" going on all over the map. I don't know if I will be able to build the entire park on one map. The size is fine. Just don't know if the lag will kill my computer.

I am concentrating heavily on Expo 3000, including detailed interiors. So this bench will include a fully detailed Expo 3000. If lag gets bad, I'll make a 2nd bench, rip out all Expo 3000's interiors, and then fully detail another land or two. I'm just going to have to see how it goes.

I only wish PC gave you more control over the sun. Those massive atriums would look amazing if you could perfectly point the sun patterns. The lighting engine is so underutilized in this game, it frustrates me. The architecture is amazing, I hope that you can figure out a good way to get the night shots to turn out once you get that far. Or maybe by then the floodlights won't be the size of a person.
Lighting works a little oddly, so I'm not concentrating much on that yet. In fact, there are a lot of things I'm just putting on hold until we get another update or two before I can decide how I'm going to tackle some things.

BOATS! I need BOATS! :D
And a full-size carousel! And a shuttle loop coaster! And better path and terrain tools! And......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:24 PM by shyguy »