Miracle Strip Amusement Park

• 24 replies
Miracle Strip Amusement Park
« on: February 13, 2017, 03:59 PM »
From the 1960's to the early 2000's, Miracle Strip amusement park stood in a narrow strip of land near the beach in Panama City Florida. It's claim to fame was it had the oldest coaster in Florida, the Starliner. It also had a Bill Tracy created dark ride, the Haunted Castle. As with most small parks, the land became too valuable, and the park was sold in 2004. The park also featured several domes that contained rides with huge statues at their entrances. There arre a number of sites around the internet that give you some excellent background information about this nice little park.

Interestingly, the park was reborn in 2010 when a couple started to purchase and reopen many of the original rides from the park. The new park was also named Miracle Strip.

I am still in the planning stages, and have only built a few buildings in that sort of 1960's funky "modern" style.

Here's the Mexican restaurant, the Shooting Gallery, and a restroom;

The shooting gallery is from the workshop, modified and expanded and temporary.

Here's the remains of the actual mexican restarant;

Here is the facade of the Haunted Castle, day and night;

The actual abandoned Bill Tracy dark ride. People actually entered through the tree! Interestingly, I could set up the spooky tree over the queue entrance (no collision) but it looked kind of weird to have the peeps walking into the mouth of the tree, so I built a doorway instead. There is a cat ride with no scenery, and it's still the most popular ride in the park!

Just a nice little side project while we wait for the April update!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:07 PM by citytrader »

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Re: Miracle Strip Amusement Park
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:37 PM »
Glad to see someone attempting the classic amusement park theme... don't think it's been attempted yet. Are you doing the dark ride interior?

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Near my hometown! I made a Sea World Destin in RCT3 so I understand the small park feel.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:46 AM »
This is a nice project idea! I like seeing the real photos alongside the in game ones. Really well done.
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:17 AM »
Nice project, and a very good subject matter for a small loose recreation. I'm looking forward to seeing the other rides, especially the Starliner.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Thanks guys! Some of the rides, like the abominable snowman might not make it in this recreation, just too hard to model.

But here is the original and recreated Route 63 car ride. Obviously needs a lot more scenery!

I also decided to switch to the gravel path. I think it gives it a more small town park feel.

As I mentioned, the park was pretty small, and sat on a narrow bit of land. Here's the original map;

Kinderly, my coaster building skills are pretty terrible.In RCT3, I usually utilized the same four or five old Steve Franks track plans!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25 AM »
Not much to update. Been rather busy, but here's a few shots.

The Pizza place has been shrunk!

Bumper Cars joins the Midway;

As does a Zipper ride;

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 03:57 AM »
That Route 63 looks spot on to the picture. Great work there! Enjoying the new update.
The shot of the map is nice. How does your park currently compare?
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Well, I guess the biggest hurdle is that the original park was almost all concrete, very little trees or bushes, with no queues at all, just sort of line up at the fence sort of thing. Combine that with lack of depth in rides, and it is getting a little frustrating.

The other thing that is driving me crazy is in sandbox mode my staff is constantly quitting and my shops close down faster than a jackrabbit on a date. I want to build to park in sandbox, not micromanage my staff. I finally kicked all the peeps out, shut down, and fired everybody. When the park is complete, I'll just hire a whole new staff.

Guest Relations building;

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 01:04 PM »
You're really doing a great job with the atmosphere here.

As for trouble with staff, what I do is add another 0 to their $250 salary. They end up being ecstatic about their job and never quit. ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Thanks Kinderly!

Here is the recreation and the original entrance booths;

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Pretty proud of this little shop;

The original;

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44 AM »
Damn those staff  :shifty:
Glad to see the park is progressing without employees! Nice updates

Offline TOGOFan

• Everyone can be nothing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:33 AM »
I had a look at that entrance sign for a while and was trying to figure out which CS pieces you used to make the lettering in particular and then I realized it was a single piece.  :sweat: For something with such few CS pieces used, the whole sign looks surprisingly great.

I've been to a fair share of "wacky" theme parks in Florida, but this is not one. This is a really interesting project to undertake and I love what I'm seeing so far.

"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Very nice work! I love the comparisons between your work and the real pictures! :)
Click the banner to visit my thread!

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Thanks everyone! Glad you are all enjoying this little project!

The Old House was a walk through attraction;

Not quite complete, but here is my version;

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Looks wonderful, Rich.   I went there when I was 5.   I barely remember it. We drove from Texas to WDW and stopped at Lake Pontchartrain Beach Park and Miracle Strip on the way.  I have more vivid memories of Pontchartrain though.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31 AM »
That's a perfect haunted house. Nice colour scheme, It does look very haunted. It's a shame there isn't more haunted scenery like spider webs and that. :(
Maybe frontier will do a halloween pack later!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34 AM »
that looks great. i like the real photos. to understand that right, the park is closed? and if you "want" you can go inside illegal and have a look at the whole thing?

Damn i like areas like this :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 03:55 AM »
Looks wonderful, Rich.   I went there when I was 5.   I barely remember it. We drove from Texas to WDW and stopped at Lake Pontchartrain Beach Park and Miracle Strip on the way.  I have more vivid memories of Pontchartrain though.
Thanks Derek! I've never been to the FL panhandle. Isn't Pontchartrain a lake or something in LA? Was there an amusement park there? Is it still around?

That's a perfect haunted house. Nice colour scheme, It does look very haunted. It's a shame there isn't more haunted scenery like spider webs and that. :(
Maybe frontier will do a halloween pack later!
Yes, some spooky stuff is on their to do list, I'm sure! The green alien doesn't really work that well as a skeleton, but we make do, right?  :D  Also, the original structure was not that decrepit, as the pic shows. I know nothing about it except it was one of those old walk throughs. The same guy that built it built a duplicate in Gatlinburg, TN, called the Mysterious Mansion of Gatlinburg, which I believe is still around. I've been to Gatlinburg several times, but never to this attraction.

that looks great. i like the real photos. to understand that right, the park is closed? and if you "want" you can go inside illegal and have a look at the whole thing?

Damn i like areas like this :)
My understanding is that the park closed in 2004, but was not fully torn down until 2010-2011. Even today, much of the concrete is still there. The land was sold to build condos on, then the real estate market collapsed, and no condos!!! If you search up the park on Google or similar, there are literally thousands of pictures of the abandoned park.

Thank you all again for your interest in my park!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:02 AM by citytrader »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Yeah, Rich.  Lake Pontchartrain is a huge lake in Louisiana just north of New Orleans.  Six Flags New Orleans is VERY close to the site of the old park.  Sadly, it is long gone now.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15 PM »
The Old House!

Enter if you dare!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:17 PM by citytrader »

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 03:42 PM »
Ooh, spooky!  :shifty:

I bet that queue never gets full because almost no one dares to go inside (or at least you should tell the people that  :P)
Click the banner to visit my thread!

Offline sam_

• I tend to change, that's nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I like the fact you didn't replicate the entire park, rather add a little of your own spice to it while keeping in the overall base general idea. Nice park, looking forward to future updates :)

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I love this idea!  And your execution is outstanding.

-JMAinAZ