Kaleidoscope Piers: Random shots from around the piers

• 1016 replies

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Kaleidoscope Piers: Random shots from around the piers
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:12 PM »
So I think I'll try a pier park (or more maybe 2 or 3 piers in one park - RCT3 couldn't handle even one so I'm looking forward to fully realizing Kaleidoscope Pier(s) in Planet Coaster!).  So far I have a couple of woodies and this cool guy.   B)  A shark that likes to surf!  Who knew?

TIGER SHARK

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:42 AM by Fisherman »

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
Re: Kaleidoscope Pier - PlanCo edition!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:34 AM »
I love the theme and colours. The signs are great and it fits perfectly onto that space on the pier!

Looks like a great layout! I can't wait to see this pier grow. I'm sure the ride would look even better with traditional pier attractions around it
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Looks like a crazy ride with lots of banana rolls! Although I would be a bit irritated as a guest at the low capacity without a MCBR.  The entrance is great. The shark with sunglasses is hilarious.

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Oh my days that looks so much like what I envisioned would fit in with the RCT3 park, it looks so charming and acute! Very much looking forward to this  :up: :up:

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Haha, I love your signs! It's great to see you making a pier again. Because of the bright colors you often see on a pier, combined with the elementary objects in PC, this must be very feasible.  Your first steps are perfect!

Offline TOGOFan

• Everyone can be nothing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Wow, this is tremendous work. Those signs are brilliant... that color scheme is gorgeous and it looks like a very inspired and realistic layout. I had wanted to try a pier park at some point but the lack of flattened maps (with a disappearing horizon...) dissuaded me from doing it, but with what you're doing now (& if you can fill the area just "enough"), it won't matter!

Is this park going to feature some more "wacky" attractions like those funhouses, etc, also some midway games that are almost staples in pier parks? It will give so much life and realism to the general area, but I'm convinced that whichever direction you take us, this will be a hit.
"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:41 AM »
HA! I love those signs. As someone who loves tinkering with them myself, you've done a far better job than I could have. That layout looks great, as well! So nice to see you building in PC. :)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58 PM »
I love the theme and colours. The signs are great and it fits perfectly onto that space on the pier!

Looks like a great layout! I can't wait to see this pier grow. I'm sure the ride would look even better with traditional pier attractions around it

Thanks!  Been adding more stuff today.

Looks like a crazy ride with lots of banana rolls! Although I would be a bit irritated as a guest at the low capacity without a MCBR.  The entrance is great. The shark with sunglasses is hilarious.

Thanks!  Yeah, it's based on Iron Shark in Galveston near where I live.  It is also compact with no MCBR...and it too only runs two trains.   :scared:

Oh my days that looks so much like what I envisioned would fit in with the RCT3 park, it looks so charming and acute! Very much looking forward to this  :up: :up:

Thanks!  Yeah...my RCT3 Kaleidoscope Pier killed my game...I ended up having to delete the second pier I had started to I could film on the first one...otherwise it would crash.

Haha, I love your signs! It's great to see you making a pier again. Because of the bright colors you often see on a pier, combined with the elementary objects in PC, this must be very feasible.  Your first steps are perfect!

Thanks!  We'll see where this goes!  I figure a pier park is a good idea because no matter what they add in the April update, it doesn't really matter because pier parks use localized theming around specific rides...so you can have a jungle themed darkride right next door to a sci-fi ride and no one will complain.  Hee hee.

Wow, this is tremendous work. Those signs are brilliant... that color scheme is gorgeous and it looks like a very inspired and realistic layout. I had wanted to try a pier park at some point but the lack of flattened maps (with a disappearing horizon...) dissuaded me from doing it, but with what you're doing now (& if you can fill the area just "enough"), it won't matter!

Is this park going to feature some more "wacky" attractions like those funhouses, etc, also some midway games that are almost staples in pier parks? It will give so much life and realism to the general area, but I'm convinced that whichever direction you take us, this will be a hit.

I basically took a blank map, flattened the entire thing, gently sloped it to one end and added water...then raised the "seawall" part of the map by the entrance, and built the piers.  And yeah...of COURSE I'll build lots of wacky, cheesy darkrides and things.  Hee hee!   :D

HA! I love those signs. As someone who loves tinkering with them myself, you've done a far better job than I could have. That layout looks great, as well! So nice to see you building in PC. :)

Thanks!  Yeah this is the first time I've really played around with the primitives to make custom signs.  There's always that missing piece you can't find but you desperately need.  I wish they had smaller versions of all of them...and thinner flat pieces.

So here are some shots from this morning:

overall shots of the map (just pretend there's a nice ocean with a horizon out there...and a quaint seaside town at the other end.   :P ):

Sea Explorers beneath Tiger Shark's cobra roll:

Rocktopus at the other end (I love the water path):

Added some shops and tweaked the placement of things:

Some shots of Tiger Shark's layout (it's really smooth and fun!):

The twisty finale including a dive under the station that will guarantee the POV will have hands covering the screen  :P :

train storage (for that one extra train...  ;) ):

And the woodies:

The Ocean Cyclone...based on the defunct Texas Cyclone (RIP  :'( ):

And Fireball (name may change): on the other pier.  It is based on The Boardwalk Bullet at the Kemah Boardwalk near where I live...although this version is much more extreme with a 90 degree bank on the first drop!  As crazy and twisty as it is, it still has great ratings though!

And one last pretty shot:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:17 PM by Fisherman »

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Love the colors on Tiger Shark, love the signage, and looking forward to watching that panoramic shot at the end of your post grow in complexity as the gaps begin to fill in.  This is going to be fun.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09 PM »
MY GOD I LOVE THIS!

The vibrant colour scheme of Tiger Shark really makes me smile. I love bold colour choices. They're so tricky to pull off as they usually end up looking tacky, but you've absolutely nailed it here. That colour combo works so perfectly with the ride. And the entrance really made me giggle.  It's so good. And let's face it, if you're going to end up in a shark's mouth, you'd want it to be bright orange and sporting a pair of cool shades.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Love the colors on Tiger Shark, love the signage, and looking forward to watching that panoramic shot at the end of your post grow in complexity as the gaps begin to fill in.  This is going to be fun.

Me too!  I'll probably make a third pier as I make new stuff!

MY GOD I LOVE THIS!

The vibrant colour scheme of Tiger Shark really makes me smile. I love bold colour choices. They're so tricky to pull off as they usually end up looking tacky, but you've absolutely nailed it here. That colour combo works so perfectly with the ride. And the entrance really made me giggle.  It's so good. And let's face it, if you're going to end up in a shark's mouth, you'd want it to be bright orange and sporting a pair of cool shades.

Thanks!  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  The color scheme came from my goofy mind saying..."tigers are orange...so why not tiger sharks too?!"   :n00b:

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:14 PM »
As always, Derek, you bring your "A" game to everything you touch. Love the Tiger Shark facade, using the glasses! The orange works perfectly to bring a really fun vibe to the whole coaster. Love how you shoe-horned the Whirly Rig in. It's a pier, and space is at a premium, right?

Really looking forward to seeing what you accomplish with this. How did you make the pier itself? How tall is it? I'm curious what the underside looks like.

Just a thought. Why not put the plain landscape up on the workshop? A lot of people are asking for an ocean scenario.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 04:47 PM »
As always, Derek, you bring your "A" game to everything you touch. Love the Tiger Shark facade, using the glasses! The orange works perfectly to bring a really fun vibe to the whole coaster. Love how you shoe-horned the Whirly Rig in. It's a pier, and space is at a premium, right?

Really looking forward to seeing what you accomplish with this. How did you make the pier itself? How tall is it? I'm curious what the underside looks like.

Just a thought. Why not put the plain landscape up on the workshop? A lot of people are asking for an ocean scenario.

Awwww.  Thanks, Rich.    :blush:

I kept the pier very simple.    The surface is "Modern wood roof flat" pieces and the supports are "Wood frame square" pieces...stacked where the water is deeper.  To bring the ride footers up onto the pier, I had to raise a thin pike of terrain up the middle of each one and then cut it off at the bottom...took forever but it looks pretty realistic, I think.

And I used castle walls to make the seawall

I might release the map eventually...   ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Thanks Derek! It looks terrific!

Have to say I'm not in love with the fireball. It just looks a bit odd. Maybe too tall? But you probably have to do that so the cars make the circuit, right? Or perhaps the footprint itself doesn't seem to be pier worthy...I don't know, just something missing...

Can't wait to see some of your other creations! Are you planning on a large glass pavilion like in some of the other piers? And dark rides... :drool:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Thanks Derek! It looks terrific!

Have to say I'm not in love with the fireball. It just looks a bit odd. Maybe too tall? But you probably have to do that so the cars make the circuit, right? Or perhaps the footprint itself doesn't seem to be pier worthy...I don't know, just something missing...

Can't wait to see some of your other creations! Are you planning on a large glass pavilion like in some of the other piers? And dark rides... :drool:

Yeah...it's a weird-looking coaster.  It's 100 feet tall.  Boardwalk Bullet is 96 feet tall.  The layout is similar, but, of course The Bullet isn't on a pier...it's on land.   :mellow:

If we get glass pieces in April, I'll consider it.  Hee hee!  Darkrides for sure.  I'm doing a jungle one first.  Waiting to see what new themes we get in April too.

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 04:02 AM »
While Im really liking you are making a pier and the shark coaster (that one looks so cool!) I dont know about putting a big wooden coaster at the end of the pier looks good, i dont feel that he wood and some cement pillars are strong enough for that kind of structure at the end. I like much more the one inside the beach, it feels more real (just as the photo you added).

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Actually, a number of famous piers were anchored by woodies. Probably the most famous one was in Venice, CA, the Some Kick Coaster. It anchored the end of the pier. The Giant Dipper was also on that pier. The Million Dollar Pier, also in Venice, sported the Grand Canyon Scenic railroad, which took up the entire length of the pier. And lets not forget the Cyclone at Long Beach, also in California.

Interestingly, all the coasters at world famous Coney Island were land based. There were no large piers at Coney.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I based the placement on the Great White at Morey's Piers in New Jersey...modern woodie on a pier.  The far end is even built on the sand!   :ohmy: 

However, that pier is concrete...not wood.  Sooooo...my engineering brain kicked in and I moved it closer to shore and turned it 90 degrees...now it's a major wienie for the piers!   :D  Thanks for the idea, SPRidley!

I like it much better here...and that frees up space down at the end for more portable rides and darkrides and such.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:50 AM by Fisherman »

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Actually, a number of famous piers were anchored by woodies. Probably the most famous one was in Venice, CA, the Some Kick Coaster. It anchored the end of the pier. The Giant Dipper was also on that pier. The Million Dollar Pier, also in Venice, sported the Grand Canyon Scenic railroad, which took up the entire length of the pier. And lets not forget the Cyclone at Long Beach, also in California.

Interestingly, all the coasters at world famous Coney Island were land based. There were no large piers at Coney.

Interesting, ia lways thought there were small woodies or small metal coasters.
And I read somewhere that sea air affects A LOT the structure of woodies, so its surprising so many of them where near beaches.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Pirate's Plunge!  It's a Reverchon portable log flume ride from the 80s.  It has lots of neato triggered effects on it.

Hey did you guys know that bodies of water in the game don't have to have terrain bottoms?  You can basically make a floating terrain ring and put a layer of water across it!  I discovered that by accident!  Forgive me if that's already common knowledge.  Hee hee.  Anyway, that's how I made the splash pool for the flume ride.

Onto the screenshots:

First, the actual model I based my ride on:

Now Pirate's Plunge:

(that's quite a booger you've got there...):

Looks pretty at sunrise:

...and it looks neato at night too:

Enjoy!

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 08:07 PM »
EXQUISITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Pirates Plunge looks really fun. This park will be eye candy when filled to the brim with extensively themed rides.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Totally over the top without crossing the line to silly overkill. You do such amazing work!

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Interesting, ia lways thought there were small woodies or small metal coasters.
And I read somewhere that sea air affects A LOT the structure of woodies, so its surprising so many of them where near beaches.
Also, don't forget, the timbers back then were completely saturated in coal tar creosote, the same stuff they used to use on railroad ties. It sure prevented or at least greatly reduced corrosion and rot, but burned like heck if the wood ever caught fire. Dangerous stuff!

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10 AM »
great work on that pier! i like that wired looking woodie! And the theming of your piratplunge looks cool. And damn i love the color and build of your Shark coaster! Yeah :D
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Wow. You've made what is in effect, a travelling fair type Log Flume and made it really beautiful and wonderfully themed. And those sunset shots are just :drool: :love:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 06:22 PM »
EXQUISITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww...thanks.   :blush:

Pirates Plunge looks really fun. This park will be eye candy when filled to the brim with extensively themed rides.

I hope so!   :D

Totally over the top without crossing the line to silly overkill. You do such amazing work!

Awww...thanks, Rich!

great work on that pier! i like that wired looking woodie! And the theming of your piratplunge looks cool. And damn i love the color and build of your Shark coaster! Yeah :D

Thanks, man!  Glad you like the weird woodie!  It's really fun but intense.

Wow. You've made what is in effect, a travelling fair type Log Flume and made it really beautiful and wonderfully themed. And those sunset shots are just :drool: :love:

So last night and today I worked on a new indoor/outdoor darkride coaster type thing.  It's sorta like a more thrilling version of Knotts' Calico Mine Ride...but set in a volcano.  Hee hee.

Fire Mountain!

At sunset:

And at night!

View from the top of Tiger Shark

Here's the layout...pretty simple with just one drop

The back...not sure what to do with it...maybe big billboards to advertise the piers?  Any suggestions?

Some interior shots:

Sorry for all the repetitive shots!  Ha ha!

-Enjoy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:23 PM by Fisherman »

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 07:14 PM »
You did that in one night? It would take me a month of Sundays!!!

Like the billboard idea, maybe they will be coming from Frontier!

Offline TMH

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I really like that! Especially the cut outs in the back. A nice twist on the Knott's mine train.

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 05:46 AM »
That log flume and the volcano coaster look INCREDIBLE! Wonderful small stuff.
Love the size of all this rides and how you play with it to fit them n the boardwalk. Love the theming of the volcano coaster.