Kaleidoscope Piers: Random shots from around the piers

• 1016 replies

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Stunning. This dream pier is so wonderfully nostalgic of my family trips to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and my visits to some of the east coast pier parks. The colors and vibrancy of all the attractions really draws your attention but nothing is more iconic and reminiscent of a true pier park than the Ocean Cyclone. The dressed fence hugging the perimeter of the coaster, the "watch-me-go" turnaround at the beginning of the coaster passing by the queue, and the massing of each of the coaster's peaks and troughs. Ocean Cyclone is one of my favorite attractions built in Planet Coaster that I've seen thus far. Can't wait. I recommend adding a mini golf course an can't wait to see a gokart track work its way in there too.
Initiating power transfer...

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2017, 02:23 PM »
More like Around the World in 80 Seconds

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Mini golf would be perfect for the boardwalk! Fingers crossed we get something next week. If not, I guess you could always mock something up that would work, at least visually.

I grew up along the New Jersey shore, and all the best mini golfs were on the roofs of the arcades. Saved space!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Ha ha.  Thank you so much for all the kind words, guys.   :blush:

Well...I'm signing off until after my surgery.  Hopefully I'll wake up to news from spoiler Sam and all the goodies we're getting in the big update!  Crossing my fingers for chairlifts or skyrides, big carousels, flying scooters, and heck...wooden flying turns coasters.   :love:

So for now, I'll leave you with this lovely sunset postcard image of the piers so far.

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Have fun! I had mine removed a few years ago. Not too big of a deal. Take care--hopefully you'll have lots of time to play during your recovery!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Take care mate. We'll be thinking of you. Have a speedy recovery and see you when you get back. :up:

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08 AM »
Your shots of this park as so magnificent, and your inspirations are so clear. I love that arrow hyper, it looks really really good, and now theres more substance between each ride you can really see it all fabricate. I'd say keep it up but I know you will  :up:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Get well soon, Fisherman!  May the nurses be pretty and the hospital food only slightly disgusting (it's impossible for it to be better than that :D )
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15 AM »
All the best, Derek! The wife and I are thinking of you.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys!  I was in LOTS of pain last night...I guess the pain meds from the hospital wore off and I underestimated how much I would hurt...kinda overdid it with dinner, etc.  But I'm feeling much better today and I have to say that I have the best partner in the world.  He is an awesome caretaker and he even gave up his favorite recliner and moved my computer so I can still play PC while my abdominal muscles heal up.   :blush:  So here I am saying 'hi' and building neato stuff for you guys.    :love:

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00 AM »
WebMD says that "building neato stuff" is the fastest way to heal.  Awesome news, can't wait to see what your recovery time brings forth!   ;D

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27 AM »
WebMD says that "building neato stuff" is the fastest way to heal.  Awesome news, can't wait to see what your recovery time brings forth!   ;D

Ha ha! 

I made you guys this!   :w00t:

An American-style red city fire hydrant!  Just sink it into the ground so that the bottom scaffold pipe's top flange sticks just above the ground.

Workshop link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899586281&searchtext=hydrant

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2017, 10:59 AM »
That is amazing! I hope more little details like these keep popping up, they are amazing!

Best of luck with the recovery, Seeing the pic above, you are in good hands! :)

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Hey buddy.

It's really great to see you're on the mend and back home with a big smile on your face . Just take it easy and get well soon.  :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2017, 06:47 PM »
An American-style red city fire hydrant!  Just sink it into the ground so that the bottom scaffold pipe's top flange sticks just above the ground

Glad to see somebody's finally paying attention to fire safety in their parks :D  But even gladder to hear you're getting better.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2017, 12:06 AM »
Thank you, guys...still having lots of mysterious pains...I have no idea what's supposed to hurt...ha ha.

I spent all day on this.   Sea Serpent!  And old-school Arrow corkscrew coaster.  Sure these were one-trick-ponies, but they were fun.  The ride is one of the oldest on the piers.

What do you guys think?  Once collision detection is off next week, I can slide the posts in to touch the track.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:44 AM by Fisherman »

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2017, 01:54 AM »
I find it a good looking coaster.
I am not certain though what you mean with 'i can slide the posts in to touch the track'. Are you talking about the supporting beams?

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2017, 01:57 AM »
This looks incredible once again. Love the corkscrew supports, though they feel a bit too big/wide.

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2017, 03:53 AM »
Fisherman, just catching up with this thread/project now and it's super work! I really love how colourful it is - you kind of have carte blanche on the colour palette with a theme like this, huh? Keep up the good work and get well soon.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2017, 06:58 AM »
This looks incredible once again. Love the corkscrew supports, though they feel a bit too big/wide.

Yeah...I agree.  Working on scooting the ends in and making the triangle cross-section smaller right now.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Now keep in mind that I'm building under the influence of major pain killer drugs.  Hee hee!   :w00t: :n00b: :whistling: :drool:

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2017, 07:17 AM »
Glad things went okay. I hope your recovery goes well!

Great to see the new updates particularly those corkscrew supports
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Yeah...I agree.  Working on scooting the ends in and making the triangle cross-section smaller right now.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Now keep in mind that I'm building under the influence of major pain killer drugs.  Hee hee!   :w00t: :n00b: :whistling: :drool:

Ya know....  given that the whole area under the corkscrew appears to be a path plaza, you could use the corkscrew supports to hold up a sort of quonset hut roof over that area.  Not a totally solid or opaque one, so as not to block too much view or be too big for the adjacent coaster, but to provide some welcome shade in the heat of summer.  Plus, it would focus and amplify the sound of the coaster going through the corkscrew onto the peeps below, making this "1 trick pony" seem more intimidating :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Let me know what you guys think of this version...not as circular as it should be...but I edited the old supports instead of starting over...hmmm...definitely takes up less room on the boardwalk this way.

THIS...frustrates me to no end:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Let me know what you guys think of this version...

I think they're better scaled to the ride as a whole.  They look great to me.  Remember how you did the originals, though, as they'd be useful in another setting.

Yeah, but at least it's right there in line with one of the big legs, so can be incorporated into the scenery fairly easily.  An extra support leg?  A sign post?  A fire hydrant?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2017, 10:10 AM »

A fire hydrant?

HA HA HA!!  That!

Offline Stream

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42 AM »

I don't know why but that made me laugh out loud! Also, I hope you'll have a speedy recovery!!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Great updates as always. I love Sally's and the employee area. My only single criticism would be that the colors on the Around the World ride and surrounding buildings are overly saturated. I understand the reasoning, but they look out of place compared to the rest of the color scheme. Plus, you would expect colors on a pier park to be a bit faded due to the elements. I suppose as it's brand new, the strong colors are feasible. But I would expect to see them fade quickly over time. :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:00 AM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Guys, if you haven't checked out ZapWizard's Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier recreation yet, you MUST!  It's so amazing...and ACCURATE.  Really inspires me to up my game.  Hee hee.  Here's the Workshop link:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=896370590&searchtext=

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Took your advice with the balloon ride, Shyguy.  Thanks for the suggestion.

And then I made this:

:D

:P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 04:02 PM by Fisherman »

« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2017, 06:40 PM »
So, those pain killers have you seeing sea serpents, huh? I'll have to ask my doctor for some!!!  :D

Looks wonderful, and works perfectly with the coaster!

Now where the heck are those dark rides, Derek? Get to work, man!