The Most Influential Coaster in the Past 10 Years?

• 10 replies

Offline Guy_With_A_Stick

• Come for the creds, stay for the Taco Bell
    • View Profile
The Most Influential Coaster in the Past 10 Years?
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:14 PM »
The amusement park industry constantly changes. New technology and ride types come out every year, which then cause more technology and rides to be developed to compete. Now my question is- what coaster in the past 10 years has been the most influential?

Here are some notable examples:

2007:
  • Boardwalk Bullet
  • Furius Baco
  • Griffon
  • Kirnu
  • Maverick
  • Mystery Mine
  • Phaethon
  • Troy
  • Wicked
  • Vertigo

2008:
  • Behemoth
  • Fahrenheit
  • Kawasemi
  • Lynet
  • Piraten
  • Ravine Flyer II
  • Steel Hawg
  • Time Machine/Led Zeppelin

2009:
  • Anubis
  • Bluefire
  • Diamondback
  • Fluch von Novgorod
  • Insane
  • iSpeed
  • Manta
  • Saw
  • Stingray
  • Wooden Coaster Fireball

2010:
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Formula Rossa
  • Huracan
  • Intimidator
  • Intimidator 305
  • Sky Rocket
  • Thirteen

2011:
  • Cheetah Hunt
  • Dare Devil Dive
  • Extreme Rusher
  • Any of the Green Lanterns
  • Hair Raiser
  • Krake
  • New Texas Giant
  • Raptor
  • Shock
  • Starry Sky Ripper
  • Takabisha
  • Van Helsing's Factory
  • Wood Coaster
  • Wooden Warrior

2012:
  • Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
  • Bullet Coaster
  • Dauling Dragons
  • Dinoconda
  • Divertical
  • Iron Shark
  • Leviathan
  • Manta
  • Oziris
  • Shambhala
  • Skyrush
  • Superman: Ultimate Flight
  • Swarm
  • Wild Eagle
  • X-Flight

2013:
  • Abyss
  • Deep Space
  • Flying Turns
  • Full Throttle
  • GateKeeper
  • Gold Striker
  • Iron Rattler
  • Karacho
  • Orkanen
  • Outlaw Run
  • Ring Racer
  • Smiler
  • Storm
  • White Lightning

2014:
  • Alpina Blitz
  • Arthur
  • Banshee
  • Firechaser Express
  • Flug Der Damonen
  • Goliath
  • Helix
  • Lightning Run
  • Medusa Steel Coaster
  • Seven Dwarves Mine Train
  • Thunderbolt

2015:
  • Acrobat
  • Baron 1898
  • Batman: The Ride
  • Cannibal
  • Cu Chulainn
  • Fury 325
  • Impulse
  • Jungle Trailblazer(s)
  • Junker
  • Oblivion the Black Hole
  • Karnan
  • Switchback
  • Thunderbird
  • Twisted Colossus
  • Wicked Cyclone

2016:
  • Cobra's Curse
  • Flash
  • Flying Aces
  • Flying Dinosaur
  • Lightning Rod
  • Lost Gravity
  • Mako
  • Monster
  • Pulsar
  • Roller Coaster Formula 1
  • Storm Chaser
  • Taron
  • Tron- Lightcycle Power Run
  • Wildfire

2017:
  • Captiol Bullet Train
  • DrageKongen
  • Gale Force
  • Gold Rush
  • InvadR
  • Merlin's Mayhem
  • Mine Blower
  • Mission Ferrari
  • Red Force
  • Star Trek: Operation Enterprise
  • Wave Breaker: Rescue Coaster
  • >Insert all unnanounced/unknown coasters here

Personally, I feel like New Texas Giant and Outlaw Run were the two most influential, since they rang in a whole new era of roller coaster technology. Honorable Mentions go to Maverick and Bluefire for pushing Launch Coaster Technology, Wooden Coaster Fireball for starting the China Coaster Boom of these recent years, Leviathan for allowing B&M to push past their limits, and Kirnu for essentially birthing the new 'Vertical 4D Coaster'.

What are your thoughts?
Top 10: Voyage | Goliath(SFGAm) | Skyrush | Maverick | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | Viper(SFGAm) | Superman: Ride of Steel | Top Thrill Dragster | Lightning Run

I'm the guy who is supposed to be smart, but has less work ethic than a senior after getting accepted to a college.

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Influential Coaster in the Past 10 Years?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I think Texas Giant was the most influential. Like you said it started the RMC conversions and generally helped the company getting established in the industry. I also agree on Blue Fire because it helped Mack getting more popular.

What surprised me a lot is that how many iconic coaster such as Maveric are still very young. I never expected Cheetah Hunt to be as old as NTG for example.

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I 100% agree with RMCs prototypes being the most influential. It has forced a whole new perspective upon the wooden market and has made a new horizon for woodies in general with the likes of timberliner & GCI now also experimenting with inversions; not to mention their unique hybrid & topper track.

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05 PM »
Definitely an interesting question. For me it's difficult to answer because I feel like the roller coaster industry is being advanced significantly in two distinct directions, the improved technology side (like RMC as you guys have already pointed out) and the improved narrative side. We're starting to see more coasters that are about more than just high speeds and high thrills. While definitely not your standard coaster by any means (in fact you don't even list it lol) Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts is a milestone in my opinion. It's definitely on the slower and tamer side and is barely even a coaster, but in my opinion it shows the extent to which the coaster concept can have an immersive and story-driven experience. Pretty much every story-driven coaster out there right now pales in comparison to your average coaster if you're looking at speeds and thrills. But take these narrative show scenes, add in a few bigger drops, some twisting turns, and maybe an inversion or two and you have a legitimate coaster that's also a legitimate dark ride. I think it's only a matter of time until someone comes up with the perfect idea to make this happen, and I believe eventually we'll see many bigger coasters that are built with narrative elements.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:25 AM »
I do feel a lot of the ones listed in the opening post are great coasters and very popular, but not necessarily influential. For example, Griffon is popular, but what rides did it actually influence? No new Dive Coasters were built in the US for 9 years after it opened so I wouldn't say it influenced anyone.

The RMC conversions were very influential, as they redefined what a wooden coaster could be like.

I would also argue that Kingda Ka has been influential (OK, it's further than 10 years ago...just) but in a different way. There was a time period where parks were trying to build taller and taller and faster and faster. In the 12 years since Kindga Ka no-one has tried to make a ride taller. It signified the end of the 'Coaster Wars'.

Offline Thomas_the_Minty

• Prepare to succumb to my Mint Imperialism!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17 AM »
RMC for sure. They completely re-defined what a wooden coaster can be. Also, while technically just over ten years ago, I think Gerstlauer may have influenced the modern idea of a small, compact coaster, including beyond vertical drops.
"Minty Fresh"

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:31 PM »
No new Dive Coasters were built in the US for 9 years after it opened so I wouldn't say it influenced anyone.

Well the theme park industry doesn´t only consist of the US. Five Dive Machines were build in Europe and Asia so Griffon was an influential coaster for sure, even though it probably wasn´t the ride that was the most influential in terms of B&M Dive Machines/ Dive Coasters in general.

I think Gerstlauer may have influenced the modern idea of a small, compact coaster, including beyond vertical drops.
... the improved narrative side. We're starting to see more coasters that are about more than just high speeds and high thrills.

The so called Hansa Park in northern Germany has two highly themed Gerstlauer rides. One Eurofighter called "Der Fluch von Novgoroth" and an Infinity Coaster called " Der Schwur des Kärnan" (aka just Kärnan or Karnan if you don´t have an "ä" on your keyboard  :n00b: ). Kärnan opened 2015 but with basicly no theming. During the following two off seasons they started to theme it. The park will reopen in a couple of days.

They started with this:

And started themeing the queue for the 2016 season:

And finished the queue and the Tower for 2017:

It is technically a a Hyper coaster with a vertical Lifthill and a vertical twisted drop. It also drops on the Lifthill and climbs it again.

Here´s my point:
To me it is a perfect example for a highly themed thrill ride. It could show other parks what they can achieve with, ...well what I would call "early access" rides. Kärnan is a great coaster. It didn´t influence any rides, but I think it could become a very influential one. 

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Congrats to Guy_With_A_Stick for winning the Best Topic of Discussion Challenge.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:47 PM »
* Snip *

I would say this is really up there. I'd say in the story driven aspect, the most influential coaster I can think of that really changed the game was also a popular one at Universal: Revenge of the mummy.

I mean, that was in 2004 and they used the motions of the coaster as an integral drive of the action in the story.  There'd been themed coasters before, but that really was something different.

We actually had a discussion at work about the possibility of the roller coaster as an effective storytelling and education tool and how effectively and purposely exploiting and influencing the motion of an audience is one of the next big frontiers in the field. Which isn't hard to see with the popularity of simulation style rides.

Offline R-Furz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56 AM »
I think it's only a matter of time until someone comes up with the perfect idea to make this happen, and I believe eventually we'll see many bigger coasters that are built with narrative elements.

Exactly, and beside the very good exemples Loundlim provided, we can say one of the trend in the industry for the very near future is the arrival of immersive coasters. Basically an indoor coaster with special pieces elements (launches, drop tracks, tilts, etc) as well as medias and special effects. I think Revenge of the Mummy would fall under this category.

But the trend gathered a new start when Dynamic Attractions presented the  SFX coaster back in 2014:

But it was only a concept. ... And that was actually Intamin that opened the first of these with Escape From Gringotts.

Fianlly, this year Dynamic Attractions will open their first iteration of the SFX Coaster at Ferrari World. And this time, this is more thrilling than the mild Gringotts. It will feature two launches, two inversions and two dynamic track pieces:

Look at the tilt track piece on the right (in white):

Note that they tested an even bigger version at their factory. One more SFX coaster is scheduled for... soon.

We heard that Zamperla developed their own version, called the Factory Coaster - and S&S teamed up with Holovis to create an Immersive Elevator MediaCoaster.

So... Just a trend or a real-game changer?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:00 AM by R-Furz »

Offline Bogeybo

• Ex G-Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Where does Th13teen at Alton Towers fit into all this? I can't help but feel it sort of inspired the "dynamic track" trend with its freefall.