Peony Park - April 1994: THE END.

• 273 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park (1976: Spirit In The Sky)
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2017, 01:04 PM »
Yeah, that Galaxi does look a bit big now that you mention it.  So big, in fact, that I didn't recognize it for the Galaxi until you mentioned it :)

But otherwise, the park's looking great!  Really like the wooden coaster.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Ha, I love your mural! And of course, everything else. Such a charming project.

Offline sam_

• I tend to change, that's nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40 PM »
AHHH , this is so good! Everything from pathwork, coaster layouts, shops and eateries to foliage is astounding. I really enjoyed your latest update. Also, it's become a habit of mine where every time I see your thread in the forum I automatically assume your map is named pony park. Nonetheless, looking forward to more.

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06 AM »
That thing where the comments on the last post are split into 2 pages, thus making it hard to quote each comment in the replies because I'm fairly incompetent like that.  Thanks Plokoon, Abbi, Shyguy, Bullethead, Bandit, and Sam!  (I think this is the most comments I've had between posts since starting this park, hopefully a summertime trend!!   ;D)

The "mural" wasn't necessarily supposed to be pretty, just fill up the big blank space on that empty wall, plus work a 70's catchphrase into the park to help set up the timeline.  Sometimes I build something in a certain year and it doesn't convey that year very well. 

As for the Galaxi, the wooden coaster IS taller but not as much as I'd like.  I'm hoping one of the new coasters we get will let me revisit the Galaxi, as well as the haunted house.  I do want to put this up in the workshop before the park shuts down and I'd really like if those 2 things are fixed.  The funhouse will probably remain a facade for the duration, sadly.

-------------------

I've tried to gloss over the darker side of the park as much as possible while telling this story, but in this case it's relevant to the eventual demise of the park.  Like any park I suppose, there were a number of deaths in the park over the years, usually involving young children.  One such notable occurrence happened in 1977 on the Blast Off ride, when a pin holding the cage door came loose and the door swung open in mid-ride.  One boy fell to his death while 2 others inside the cage were able to remain inside and survived.

[It was actually 1978, and the ride was the Skydiver, kind of a cross between a ferris wheel and a loop-o-plane from what I can tell.]

While the repairs to the aging ride would have been insignificant, the park opted to remove the ride completely, and the budget for adding a replacement was already dispersed elsewhere.  The tall fencing obscured the large backdrop of the ride from view of the park, though it was certainly still visible to riders of the Galaxi coaster next door.

[I'm not certain the park actually did remove the ride, this is just how I would handle it with the lesser budget limitations of an imaginary recreation.  I also don't have any decent flat rides left to replace it, so this fencing will probably stay up for the duration of the story.  I'll try to remember to put the Blast Off back into place before I upload this to the workshop.]

This rising insurance costs from this and the other park deaths (most were drownings in previous years, though another ride-related death would happen in 1988) were a major factor in the mounting debt that would eventually bring Peony Park to a close in 1994.  But that is still 17 years away, and there's more fun to be had.

--------------

In my own attempts to add a little more architectural significance to the closing of the park, I've been adding or modifying a number of buildings, including the existence of a tiny main street.  And while all of my previous main street efforts were relatively low budget, for this next one I decided to up the ante a little bit.  The new shop is called the Fontenelle Boutique, the name taken from a prominent local business family who ended up with a number of things named after them in town.  I think they had a downtown hotel at one point.

Even though the building was added in 1978, these photos seem to come from the early 80's when the Corner Coffee (or is it Coffee Corner, I can never be sure) was repainted with an 80's pastel palette.  Those 1970's colors went out of style very quickly, didn't they?

The idea is to sell items a bit more upscale than the emporium down the street, mainly clothing type things, an emphasis on swimwear and such since the pool entrance is only a few feet away.  And to charge higher prices for these things, the building exterior needed to reflect that.

Which brings me to my next clever contest idea, because those are always fun.  And this is one that you won't be able to Google, hehe.  In order to make room for this new building in this congested park, something had to go.  What was in this location previously?

I'll incorporate the winners screen name, or park name, or something, into the title of the empty store next to the Fontenelle Boutique.  (Please everyone, start guessing quickly before Abbitibbi wins this because I have no idea what to do with that name  :D)   Shyguy and RubleTrillion are still eligible since their previous prize was temporary.  And if you think someone else has already guessed correctly feel free to add your own submission because, and no promises here, I might be able to cram some more buildings into this area. 

The thing that was here before was large enough that we also got a new flat ride out of the deal (hence that oddly shaped coffeepot in the first screenshot, we'll get to that in the next update.  Also, even though the Royal Terrace was carefully cropped from these photos, it is still standing.  I've got big plans for that place in 1980.

*Colors, and theming of the new shop subject to change.  Taxes may apply.  Void where prohibited.  Total cash value of prize:  Zero U.S. dollars.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:55 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park (1977 and 1978: Dark Side of the Moon + a contest)
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Ingenious way to make a tall fence.  I'll have to remember that trick!  Too bad about the kid, though.

The new mainstreet definitely looks more upscale.  Very nice buildings!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2017, 05:10 AM »

These new developments look great. I'm a huge sucker for the pastel colour palette  :D

And my guess for what used to be in that spot...I think I have to go with the mini golf?

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2017, 06:49 AM »
Thanks Bullethead! :)

And my guess for what used to be in that spot...I think I have to go with the mini golf?

Good job.  It's been relocated to some otherwise blocked land behind that new wooden coaster.  Didn't really make sense to me that people would go into the park to play 18 holes of golf, should've been a separate attraction all along.

I'll get to work on your new sign, once I figure out whatever it is that you're going to sell...   :P

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Love your fence, might have to borrow it! I haven't noticed this until now but I love how the park sits on a lot of plain concrete instead of just grass, it gives off a realistic feel for this type of park. Enjoyed the update!

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Plokoon -- I was using the brick path in that area but when I took out the golf course and added a flat ride it really messed up the way my different path types were lining up.  So I had to use the basic concrete for the entire midway.  I'm getting my brick back in the last expansion area though :)  But yes, in most of the pictures I found there was much more concrete than grass, and concrete was the only path type in the entire park.

------------------

Speaking of the golf course, congrats to mineraljunction for becoming this week's grand prize winner.  I'd have preferred it if you called it by name:  "King Putts" because that is just the awesomest name ever for a mini golf course and somebody somewhere should really be paying me for that one.  So without further ado, here are the keys to your new shop.  Since the boutique next door seems like it would be catering to the ladies, I made this one into a place for menswear.

I probably should've mentioned that the store needs to be open by 8 am, 7 days a week, April through October.  On the plus side you only have to do this for the next 16 years.

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2017, 05:24 AM »
And I thought I'd left my retail years behind me... seriously though what an honour! Love how the façade came out in the end.

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49 AM »
First, some backstory:  This water tower has been sitting along the interstate on the west entrance to the city for as long as I can remember, when I was a kid seeing this is how I knew we were almost there.  It's still there today.  Boring, I know.

So when I moved the golf course, there was all that extra land left behind, and it's a prime location for park real estate (especially since there's pretty much no real estate left in the park at this point.)  I added those 2 shops, and in the extra space there was room for a flat ride.  Not many options left, especially ones that would be appropriate to the timeframe.  And I'm not really a fan of the teacups (too Disney) but what if we made them into coffee cups instead?

There was a Butternut plant in town, so combining that with the Sapp Bros. advert was a good way to provide funding for all this fancy new construction while keeping the corporate tie-ins at a local level, like they did with Brandeis in the dark ride.

As for the golf course, there was some "locked" land behind the wooden coaster, so by moving King Putts to that location the park could get revenue from guests who didn't want to commit to an entire day in an amusement park.

(and yeah, that photo is from 1990 when the go-karts were added.  It's not much of a spoiler at this point.)

Next up is 1980, and we'll get to see why I've been hiding the Royal Terrace in all these latest screenshots.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park (1979: Cream, no sugar)
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Nice coffee pot ;)

BTW, in the photo of the real thing, is that thing up on top a old siren?  If so, was it for fire or tornadoes?  Back in the pre-radio days, many towns had a big siren on some high point that called the volunteer firemen to the station, where they could learn where the fire was.  And if that's what it is in the pic, then it's very appropriate because fire departments run on coffee ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Totally guessing but I'm gonna say tornado siren, given the geography.  And if so, it's already been sounded twice this year.    :ohmy:

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2017, 06:50 PM »
I like the color scheme of the teacups. It gives them a whole new look. Although it looks more like it's themed to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to me. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Looks like I missed an update here.

Nice job, I really like the tall work fence from two updates, and of course, I really much like the water tank you did.

This place is really turning great, you just need them to add some cars or other vehicules. I like very much the street, and parking.

Minigolf is really looking very nice from the drone view...

Thanks for the story that comes with it as well, very cool!

Very great work overall, have fun with the rest of the building.
-Imagination at work!

-We are the PC makers. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.

« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Shy:   I was pulling the colors off the butternut logo, but now I've changed the orange to red because this isn't RCT3 and Hershey has nothing to do with this park.

Abbi:  I did check to the workshop for some parking lot filler but didn't come across anything I liked, I'll keep looking though.

Thanks guys!

------------------------

[I've been looking forward to this update for 50 years.  Or maybe it just seems that way.  Welcome to 1980!]

By the end of the 1970's the original primary owner of the park passed away and left his majority holdings to his son.  The son had always been known as somewhat of a party boy and may have been somewhat responsible for the "penthouse" that was added a few years back above the bath house.  Also by the end of the 1970's it had become clear that the Royal Terrace was a very aged building in both structure and concept.  Big band and swing music were no longer in fashion, and the types of shows being booked at the park worked much better in the Royal Grove outdoor venue next door.  The logical step was to tear down the Royal Terrace, but in this case the son was (easily) persuaded to spend a small fortune that the park didn't have in an effort to save it.

So he did.

^Not sure, but I think the Dundee theater has had some exterior upgrades as well...

"Dance Dance Dance?"  I don't remember the name of that band.  But look!  After over 40 years, the Royal Terrace, er, just "Terrace" as it seems to be called now, finally has an actual, um, terrace.

I am intrigued, and I think we should all go inside.

To be fair, the original stage was moved to the opposite end years ago when the valet entrance was added, you just never got to see the interior when it happened.  And aside from some paint, lighting, and new furnishings it really hasn't changed much structurally inside, I think most of the money was spent outside.  The curtains behind the main bar are even the original stage curtains from the 1930's.  But that disco floor?  The fools clearly didn't realize that disco would be dead in less than 6 months. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:46 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30 PM »
But that disco floor?  The fools clearly didn't realize that disco would be dead in less than 6 months.

And may it burn in Hell forever :D

Shame to see a classic swing club turned into a disco, but OTOH, you did a virtuoso job on the construction.  Very, very nice ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park (1980: The place where nobody dared to go)
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2017, 09:57 PM »
That's the awesomest thing ever.   ;D

Offline Kinderly

• Enjoy it while it lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46 PM »
Mmm. Art Deco. I love it. That theater really caught my eye.

The rest of the park is looking spectacular as well!

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Yooo, a couple of really great updates. I love the coffee cups with the giant pot and man, that theatre interior in the last update is amazing. You've really nailed the 70s vibe with the lighting.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2017, 03:55 PM »
You did that so damn well! Good job with that!

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2017, 10:14 AM »

And may it burn in Hell forever :D
Sort of a disco inferno, then?

That's the awesomest thing ever.   ;D
Thanks buddy!  I thought of you as I was putting the lights on the spires  ;)

Mmm. Art Deco. I love it. That theater really caught my eye.
Thank you Kinderly, I like the deco too.  One of my ideas for after the park closes is to give it a whole bunch of money and an art deco makeover :)

Yooo, a couple of really great updates. I love the coffee cups with the giant pot and man, that theatre interior in the last update is amazing. You've really nailed the 70s vibe with the lighting.
Thanks, not sure the lasers are 70's but I figured if I want to keep the club going into the 80's and 90's all I really have to do is take out the disco floor and it would look like any other nightclub

You did that so damn well! Good job with that!
Haha, thanks.  It was one of the first buildings in the park so I've had plenty of time to work on it :)

----------------------

^^Not the dramatic difference I was hoping for, but at least some of the new scenery came in handy.

^^And it was  nice to get the Planet Coaster logo off of all my streets and parking lot.  Beyond that, not much in this update for my park.  The haunted house will remain unfinished when this goes to the Workshop, and all of the improvised rides and such will remain improvised.  But at least the woodie is white.  I also put this into a custom biome to green things up a bit, the yellow grass was fine in the beginning but after 60 years you'd think they'd have figured out basic lawn maintenance by now.

The park heydey truly was the 70's, and from what I can tell not a whole lot was added after that.  I did make the assumption that by 1982 the pinball machines would all be replaced with arcade games, so I gave that building a slight makeover.  New entrance, new roof (with Shyguy-esque skylight), some new booths for seating.  Glow in the dark carpet, and a whole bunch of generic arcade cabinets. 

Consider the last shot a teaser for the upcoming log flume that I improvised.  Mostly it's just meant to show the new biome colors and give an overhead angle I that I haven't been able to show for awhile...

The build part of this project is done now.  Maybe three or so more updates and then I'll put it on the workshop and figure out what to do with the rest of my life.  Thanks for following! 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park (1982: Pac Man Fever)
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I like the detail polishing you did here.  A little of that goes a long way to improving the overall looks.  Yay for new path textures and white woodies ;)

Congrats on completing the building (pops champagne).  But I'll be sorry this story is ending, especially because I figure it will be a sad story :(.  I've really enjoyed it, though.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Dazzyls

• *Insert inspiring quote*
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Oh my, that arcade! It looks like it comes straight from Tron. The lighting and all the scenery is so good.
Also, I really love that last picture. It just makes it look like a really realistic park.

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Man, I love the new arcade  :w00t:
Also, I really like the textures you've chosen for you custom biome.  :up:

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2017, 04:36 PM »
That arcade and the overview are astounding. Your interiors are really something special. I look forward to the download so I can poke around myself!

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Can't believe this project is almost over! I'm happy for you to regain some of your social life as a result, though  ;D Great looking update, I love seeing all these white woodies popping up in people's parks. The overview at the end is amazing! It looks so good with the tower blocks in the distance.

Offline Davinstyle

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2017, 04:29 PM »
This looks very stunning! Really love al the little details on that building style.

« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2017, 09:19 AM »
I am so beyond heartbroken right now.  Sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning my main park file and EVERY SINGLE AUTOSAVE went corrupt.  I've done all the usual things, even put the file on the workshop to download and try it from there.  Just re-installed the entire game and no luck.  My drivers are up to date, my new computer exceeds specs.  Tried loading on lowest graphic settings, still crashes mid-load every single time.

My most recent rename of the park was 3-4 weeks ago, and there is some work in that timeframe that I just don't have the heart to re-attempt again, especially since this seems like it's on the Frontier end and as of now there's nothing to say it won't happen again. 

I was in the process of rebuilding the haunted house, it was literally the last thing I was going to do before giving you guys the finished park file.  Even that rebuild was complete (it was awesome!! <-- he says now that you can't prove otherwise).  I used the new woodie track kind of like I did for a dark ride in Copper Creek and it worked quite well.  The problem, and this is the reason I'm posting this aside from venting, I'm pretty sure is linked to that new triggered speaker from the last game update.

I was using billboards, but I've been using those for a couple of weeks without problems, and I wasn't using videos or high resolution images, just jpgs.  But that **** speaker:  I was using it in my last build session.  I had about 20 of them, all linked to in-game sound effects, and the ride worked wonderfully and then when I reloaded the park none of the sounds were saved.  So I re-added all the sound effects, it was working again, and the next morning... no park.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING THAT SPEAKER.  Start a new park file before adding them, because in an hour of play time all of your autosaves get overlaid.  Let me know if you have any similar issues, because then I'll know for sure this is Frontier's issue and then there's a slight chance I'll get my park back again.

Sorry for the sob story, but like I said, I have to vent.  I'm going to go spend the rest of the holiday weekend not playing computer games.   :'(

Here's the last picture I took just after tearing down the haunted house to add the new track...

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park: Not the ending I had planned
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Even I'm heart broken. What really bothers me is that what we are still playing is a Beta version of PC. As long as major features are still being implemented, that's what it is. And we need to treat this game as such and be very careful when using these new features with parks that we've invested months of work on.

JP, I'd bring this to Frontier's attention and send them the save file and perhaps they can repair it. I believe Nemmie sent them a save file because he wanted his old park expanded to the larger map size, and I believe they did that for him. So perhaps they can find the error that is preventing your park from loading and either edit your file, or fix the issue so your files will load.

I used some triggered speakers in Wonder World, and my save file loaded fine. I later replaced them with regular music speakers, as triggers don't work well with the Go Karts. But I think I'll avoid them for now until we find out more about this. It's been my biggest worry that one day, after an update, that old save files will get broken. And until they stop fooling around with the core features of this game, that is a definite possibility.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:06 AM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot