Owens Mesa - More and more walls

• 177 replies
Owens Mesa - More and more walls
« on: March 20, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Needless to say, I have been away from this community for far too long. After several years of hiatus, and a new generation of coaster gaming, I would like to reintroduce myself. Hello, I'm johnycanon8! With a new generation of games, comes a new generation of gamers. I have trolled the forums the past few days and am glad to see a few familiar names, and many new ones. As always, I hope to rekindle friendships, and make new ones. My obsession with the roller coaster gaming world has pulsed within me for over 15 years, and thought life may get in the way from working on a new project, my drive is renewed. So, without further adieu, I would like to introduce my newest creation.

Deep within the heartland of Texas, a new theme park experience awaits.

A place where the springs are crystal clear...

Where the faces are always smiling...

Where mystery and adventure collide...

And thrill finds a home.

A new park is coming. 2017

JC8
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:20 PM by johnycanon8 »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Owens Mesa - Sneak Peek...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Beautiful lighting and landscaping.  Looks great!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Gaaaaaaaaaah! JC8! Missed you, man. This looks great! Can't wait to see more!

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Glad to see you made the voyage to PC! I really loved how good you were at executing unique themes in RCT3.

Offline TOGOFan

• Everyone can be nothing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08 PM »
I remember that name, I just don't know what I associate it with exactly. "Early RCT3 days" is all that comes to mind. Anyway, welcome back and this is a beautiful start! There are some types of scenes that work nicer with the sunset, and these are the ones. I'm looking forward to where you'll take us from here.
"It's weird that pirates would go shore to shore looking for buried treasure when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making."

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39 AM »
Welcome back!
I have trolled the forums the past few days
Trolls make the forums fun to watch  ;D

I love it. Especially that third picture looks so natural and has a great atmosphere. I find it hard to get satisfying lighting on my buildings, this scene looks spot on.

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I am really enjoying this park! It looks to have a lot to offer and the attention to detail is really high! I love the shot of the rapids!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Fisherman- Thanks. Im hoping with the new update coming, more landscaping features will be introduced. Im tired of the same four or five bushes  ;D

mb1.0.2- Ive miss all this too! I saw your PC thread and got a little giddy seeing your amazing work still in action.

TMH- Thanks man. I download PC when it was first released, but now it seems I've gotten a bit more serious about it and wanted to start forum        crawling again. Hopefully I live up to my previous theming!

TOGOFAN- Yeah I was a timid RCT3 poster. I had a few small parks and various rides, but towards the end I was a concept poster in the Guild. I don't want to begin to think what time period this was :D And sunset shots are my weakness haha

FlyingDutchman7- Thanks! I find the lighting to be easier in PC than RCT3. Only catch is the same damn lantern is in every building in one area of my park! One day we will have more options... one day

matt9537- Thanks buddy. The rapids seems to have evolved into my crowning jewel, of one side of my park. My fanboy geek alarm went off when I was doing lighting! (Blue Bayou be my muse!)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45 PM »
It's always a pleasure to see old members return. Glad you're back.  :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Re: Owens Springs- Sneak Peek...
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17 PM »
^ Thanks so much!

Over the next few days I would like to acquaint everyone with the various themed areas of the park. When the park will open (which will be soon), it will be complete with three full areas, and two "sub-districts" which mostly consist of shops and eateries, no attractions. Full tours will commence when the park is open to the public.
The first area I would like to show you is La Baux; A steamship harbor nestled on the lake. The P.S. Charlotte Ann houses a restaurant, as well as an eatery in the "boarding hall". Also on the waterfront is one of several locations of Street Fox Coffee, a corporate sellout in-park coffee experience. The strip of Louisiana inspired buildings behind the harbor contain several quick eats as well as souvenir shops and Information. Restrooms are nestled at the end of the strip.

Thanks for viewing!
________
Owens Mesa

JC8
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:22 AM by johnycanon8 »

Re: Owens Mesa- Sneak Peek...
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Sorry for the double post!
The biggest area of Owens Mesa is by far Escalante. Much of this area is still under wraps, but it is known that it houses the parks wooden coaster, several quick dining experiences and an old time steamer car tracked ride. A grapevine rumor is that Escalante has a big secret under wraps, but no word on what this secret is or whether it will be ready when the park opens.

Owens Mesa

JC8

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06 AM »
Nice to see you johny!  And it looks like you're off to a wonderful start.
Those are so great shots.

-JMAinAZ

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 06:52 AM »
Really liking this, and love that old RCT3 gamers are coming more and more to create in Planet Coaster.

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 1 - Welcome to our world...
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Nice to see you johny!  And it looks like you're off to a wonderful start.
Those are so great shots.

-JMAinAZ
Yay for good starts!! Thanks man
Really liking this, and love that old RCT3 gamers are coming more and more to create in Planet Coaster.
Thanks! I believe my days of RCT3 are behind me, onto greener pastures (coasters?).

Welcome to Owens Mesa.
In our first update, I would like to show off the parks entrance.

Pick your lane people. Did you bring a bag? Man purses and fanny packs count.

Each turnstile building has its own exit, so all traffic isn't diverted to one side, rather an distribution. If you're a fancy person, season passholders enter to the far right.

Inside the park now, the focal building is the town hall. Inside are various souvenir shops and a small restaurant upstairs.

Off to the left is Street Fox Coffee, the parks largest location. Off to the side is First Aid and Information.

To the right of the entrance plaza are restrooms and a small bakery. What a pleasant way to start a morning in the park with fresh baked goodies.

Just a drone picture of the layout of our lovely entrance Plaza. We are just lucky there is shade from the trees, the Texas summer can be brutal.

Thanks for viewing!
Owens Mesa

JC8

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 12:07 PM »
What a wonderful park. So charming. I love the way you've addressed the scale issues that some of the assets in the game has. You've made it feel quaint. Really beautiful!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Walle_Epcot

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Love it!! The layout is nice as each structure has its own placement and naturally transfers to the next structure. More drone pics please!!

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 03:37 PM »
this looks great

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Man purses and fanny packs count
...It's European!

This is truly beautiful work. I'm so glad you're back in the game, so to speak. Your projects are always well-designed and scaled appropriately and this is no exception. Can't wait to see this further develop. It's so charming.

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Nice park entrance and entrance area at all, you create a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere. Well done! The skyline with that wooden coaster in the background is nice as well.

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 08:08 PM »
The park looks great. Love the entrance plaza, the realism is spot on!

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47 AM »
That entrance is great! It looks very realistic. I can really imagine the joy as I enter the park  ;D
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Great park. That Town Hall building looks very nice, I really like the green tower.  :)
Click the banner to visit my thread!

Offline Future Imagineer

• Disneyologist
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 04:50 PM »
It's so charming! I really like the grape vines growing on the second floor of the town hall.
"And here's the tower for originally the PeopleMover, and then the Rocket Jets, and now just a pretty thing to look at. It's not what I really think!" - Tony Baxter

Offline Old-Spice

• Custom Content Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51 PM »
I love how you pulled things from the Disney parks (Well, I do get that nice Disney quality, and comfort when look at your park) and made them your own. Really well done, and captures the atmosphere quite well.

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 2 - Padre Springs
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 03:55 PM »
What a wonderful park. So charming. I love the way you've addressed the scale issues that some of the assets in the game has. You've made it feel quaint. Really beautiful!
RCT3 had some scaling issue from what I remember, but not as drastic as it can be in PC. Thank you!

Love it!! The layout is nice as each structure has its own placement and naturally transfers to the next structure. More drone pics please!!

I cannot personally operate the drone, I typically crash it. So when my specialized pilot stops by the park, I will post what I can get my hands on.

Nice park entrance and entrance area at all, you create a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere. Well done! The skyline with that wooden coaster in the background is nice as well.
Thanks. Every park needs it's staple woodie!
this looks great
Well thank you
The park looks great. Love the entrance plaza, the realism is spot on!

Danke. I do love me some realism.
...It's European!

This is truly beautiful work. I'm so glad you're back in the game, so to speak. Your projects are always well-designed and scaled appropriately and this is no exception. Can't wait to see this further develop. It's so charming.
We have to be accommodating to all walks of life (fannypackers and all). Thanks man, it truly feels great to be back posting again.
It's so charming! I really like the grape vines growing on the second floor of the town hall.
Charming seems to be the word of the day! I love it! I wouldn't recommend eating the grapes though, might be rather plasticy.
Great park. That Town Hall building looks very nice, I really like the green tower.  :)
To be honest it grew on me, I didn't like it at first, so thanks!
I love how you pulled things from the Disney parks (Well, I do get that nice Disney quality, and comfort when look at your park) and made them your own. Really well done, and captures the atmosphere quite well.
Disney somehow seems to be the main root of all my inspiration, in some way or another. Hopefully the Disney charm translates to the rest of the park too
That entrance is great! It looks very realistic. I can really imagine the joy as I enter the park  ;D
Wowza. Its a joy to me at first, then I look at its flaws, get tired of it, and move onto other areas of the park ;D

Located just past the park entrance plaza, Padre Springs welcomes you into the park with beautiful views of the center lagoon, and guides you into the rest of the park.

To the left are two lands, and to the right one. No spoiler alerts though.

Several shops and quick eats are available, but don't spend too much time here, the thrills are elsewhere.

There's a potty off to the side, and the monorail station in the background, next to the immelman.

The area is a crowd pleaser.

Until next time, thanks for viewing!
Owens Mesa

JC8

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Padre Springs is gorgeous.  I think I will spend some time there.  The thrills can wait.

-JMAinAZ

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 03:39 AM »
OMG the entrance plaza and Padre Springs are incredible stuff. They seem super real!
Really liking that Padre Springs is the area of the park with shops and restaurants and no thrills, just like most real theme parks.

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 3 - La Baux
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38 AM »
OMG the entrance plaza and Padre Springs are incredible stuff. They seem super real!
Really liking that Padre Springs is the area of the park with shops and restaurants and no thrills, just like most real theme parks.
Thank you! I have tried to add a lot of places for adults as well. Shopping and eateries, maybe even a bar or two (with restrictions of course).
Padre Springs is gorgeous.  I think I will spend some time there.  The thrills can wait.

-JMAinAZ
HA, thanks! Me too, judging how hot it is! Otherwise I'll be spending all my time in the AC.

The teens can jive with this area, has plenty of places to get their churros and smoothies.

On one side of the lane is the harbor for the Charlotte Anne steamboat, which has the Terminal No.9 Galley, a collection of quick eats and drinks, and naturally, a Street Fox Coffee.

And for some reason, guests in Owens Mesa are constantly thirsty, and simply cannot get enough to drink (Texas drought?), so some more beverage stalls are to the left, as well as the entrance into Escalante, the parks largest themed area.

And its always nice to see the menacing Dive Machine hovering overhead, easily the parks most popular coaster (more on it later)

Thanks for joining us as we continue to tour the beautiful Owens Mesa!

JC8

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Wow this is super impressive. So much character and your facades are so visually dynamic that theres always something to look at. Feels VERY theme park-y and thats a good thing! You've done a really great job with area development, your streets just seem to make sense.
Initiating power transfer...

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 07:01 AM »
very nice, and on the third photo...there is a weird optical illusion as it looks like the planter box in the middle of the path is floating, but its not.