Owens Mesa - More and more walls

• 177 replies

Offline matt9537

• View Profile
    • Subscribe to BackwardsProductions
Re: Owens Mesa- Update 3 - La Baux
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 07:16 AM »
The new areas great! I love the focus on the food and drink stalls. TBH, they are always an afterthought for me. But here they are the star of the show and I love it!
Planet Coaster Tutorials - If you're new to Planet Coaster or an experienced player you'll find something new you can learn! [Updated]
Planet Coaster Blueprint Essentials - Don't start a new project without these!

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 4 - Pueblo del Rio and Morphie Gas...
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2017, 02:34 PM »
very nice, and on the third photo...there is a weird optical illusion as it looks like the planter box in the middle of the path is floating, but its not.
TBH that was kind of a half-assed attempt at a planter. One complaint (and this is just one aspect of it) is the paths and how they have to rail or curb both sides, and if you have to "hide" the path, the adjacent path that has a path railing looks silly. If that makes any sense...
The new areas great! I love the focus on the food and drink stalls. TBH, they are always an afterthought for me. But here they are the star of the show and I love it!
It seem that in this park, peeps cant get enough food and drink, which would be great if I was actually paying attention to finances.
Wow this is super impressive. So much character and your facades are so visually dynamic that theres always something to look at. Feels VERY theme park-y and thats a good thing! You've done a really great job with area development, your streets just seem to make sense.
Thanks! I'm trying to create something interesting to look at "around every corner".

In our update 4, we are continuing the tour around the park. The focus this time is on Pueblo del Rio. This area is divided into two parts. The Pueblo is geared more towards families, with a "kids" coaster and a flat ride. As always, shops and eateries are available.

This lush next-to-the-river town is abundant in warmth and charm.

It's always popular with the families. The queue for the coaster (we will get to the actual coaster in another update), is always full, and several peeps turn away unhappy.

_____
In the other section of this area, themed to a nearby town of the Pueblo, is the abandoned service area  surrounding a Nuclear facility.

There may or may not have been a radioactive leak...

A B&M Invert dominates the skyline in this area. Word from the locals is the Plant was experimenting with radioactivity and devices to scan for uranium. Said device may have gotten out of hand. The queue starts with Morphie Gas, a subsidiary of DelMass Power Conglomerate.

Thanks for viewing!
Owens Mesa

JC8

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Dat gas station, tho...and that pueblo architecture.

This is awesome. It's great seeing how PC has allowed you to really unleash your design abilities and creativeness. This is quickly rocketing up the list of "masked's favorite park projects." Haha. Can't wait for more!

Offline CTRSind

• Made from real Fruit!
    • View Profile
    • CTRSnet.com
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2017, 08:02 PM »
I see so much of Lumiere in this park.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2017, 08:56 PM »
^ Funny you should mention Lumiere. A PC rehash has been in the back of my mind, as a sister park naturally. (Great to hear from you!)

mb- Cheers! Here's to hoping the Mesa doesn't disappoint, or Morphies gas prices don't go up.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2017, 09:00 PM »
I'm really liking this park.  Looks like the Old Town of Albuquerque and the old nuke plant puts a weird spin on it.  Very nice!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 04:17 AM »
I really like the style so far! Very clean, yet it breaths so much atmosphere. I can't wait to see how this develops over time :)

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 07:07 AM »
That contrast between the first photo and the nuclear facility shots is fantastic.  I would struggle to make either area look this good and you've succeeded at both.  I love everything in every picture, but I think I keep going back to that first photo because that's a scene that would look good in any park, just so cozy and comfortable.

I think I'm anxious to see the transition between these two very different areas to see how one blends into the other

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 5 - Escalante
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I'm really liking this park.  Looks like the Old Town of Albuquerque and the old nuke plant puts a weird spin on it.  Very nice!
I believe one of my 'inspirational' pictures was of something in Albuquerque, and Santa Fe (naturally). Thanks!
I really like the style so far! Very clean, yet it breaths so much atmosphere. I can't wait to see how this develops over time :)
And develop it shall! I have big plans for every area of the park, lots of future development!
That contrast between the first photo and the nuclear facility shots is fantastic.  I would struggle to make either area look this good and you've succeeded at both.  I love everything in every picture, but I think I keep going back to that first photo because that's a scene that would look good in any park, just so cozy and comfortable.

I think I'm anxious to see the transition between these two very different areas to see how one blends into the other
If I had to live in one picture, I think I would chose the first. The atmosphere speaks to my soul haha. The transition it quite simple, as if you were stepping out of town limits and onto a wandering road into a small industrial power district.

We are down to our last two areas of the park. This update will focus on Escalante, by far the largest section of the park. The town has a long and tired history involving outlaws, heists, rangers with little-man-syndrome and a long shut down house of ill-repute. Needless to say, Escalante is now "family friendly" (for the most part). I have been told that the town still has a dark secret, but even the locals won't give into gossip and tell us.

The town crossroads feature the quintessential Saloon, a gambling hall, hotel, and even an auto repair shop for those new fanged Model-T's. The town has created their own color for these new automobiles, they grew tired of only having black as a color option. (Take that Ford)

To the right is the entrance to Steamers, a tracked Model-T ride. Old Jim Mullins has fallen head over heels for this new mode of transportation, and has decided to make an attraction out of it, touring the countryside. Just be careful, he might try and price-jack you. (more on the actual ride later)

And in probably our most boring picture of this update, we can get a glimpse of said vehicles. In the background is Escalate Station. Express service to area X (our only uncovered section of the park, and its not literally called area X) and Padre Springs. We also have a random flat ride, a spiny vomity thing called Spark Shocker. A Prospector got inspired for the ride watching a train brake, the wheels shooting sparks in every direction. Quite a sight.

The crowing jewel of Escalante is The Outlaw. A wooden coaster of which we will get to later.

The Outlaws ride prestige is through the roof, so the peeps don't mind waiting over 20 minutes in line (in-game time)

That will be all for Update 5. I will leave you with a nice twilight photo.

Thanks for viewing!

Owens Mesa

JC8

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:21 PM by johnycanon8 »

Offline MrBill2455

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Owens Mesa- Update 5 - Escalante
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Good looking park, can't wait to see that wooden coaster.

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 5.1 - Escalante & The Outlaw
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Good looking park, can't wait to see that wooden coaster.
Your wish is my command.

I would like to present the jewel of Escalante; The Outlaw.

Length - 3480ft
Max Speed - 65 mph
Average Speed - 20 mph
Biggest Drop - 137ft
Airtime Count - 3
Prestige - 5

(I never claimed to be a good video editor ;D )

Thanks for viewing!

Owens Mesa

JC8
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:24 PM by johnycanon8 »

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I'm jealous of your coaster skills.  That one is both good-looking and a very fun ride.  You're really succeeding at a park style I've tried at many times with much lesser results.

Normally I'd say the monorail is breaking up the theme, but since you've already established that this isn't purely a rustic park I'm confident it's all going to work out.  Nice job.

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Great Coaster!  I love the curved drop and back up!  Excellent job!
How many times to Disneyland in one year is too many???  There is never too many.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I love the layout of outlaw! Its quite balanced and has interesting dynamics! Keep it up!
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

Offline SPRidley

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Those modern mexican building look amazing! Im really loving everything. Town of Escalante also looks really cozy!

Offline _mister_MR_

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 07:51 AM »
Loving the progress on this park. You've kept the realism throughout. I really like the gas station, very unique. I really simplicity yet realism of your architecture. You've created visually appealing structures and landscaping without adding layer upon layer. Awesome work!

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 6 - Breaux Swamp
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2017, 11:30 AM »
In update no. 6, we will explore the last section of the park; Breaux Swamp. The Swamp is the second largest area of the park, yet the smallest in terms of peep "explorability". The area is dominated by a B&M Dive Machine, as well as a river rapids ride, both of which taking up a large footprint. Peeps can eat, drink and shop in a small portion of the land.

The areas premier attraction is Specter. Themed to the spirit that haunts the industrial park of Breaux Swamp, Specter is the dark and underlying mystery that guests are too curious not to encounter. A POV video will follow within the next few days along with stats.

Shadow Swing is an S&S Screamin' Swing, The areas least favorite attraction. Tucked into the back corner of the land, it doesn't get the foot traffic it deserves (although its a terrific thrill). 

Swamp Loggers is the parks only water ride. The river adventure takes you deep into swamp logging country.

As the park is in Texas, the heat definitely drives Swamp Loggers to always have a full queue.

Swamp Loggers comes alive at night with an array of lights and effects.

An overview of the Intamin River Rapids.

I will leave you with a beautiful shot of Specter, dropping into the swamp.

Thanks for viewing!

Owens Mesa

JC8

Replies:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Look quite inviting both day and night.  But I feel a bit teased.  There are some very interesting buildings partially seen in the background but never fully revealed :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Spector looks wonderful! Love the abandoned factory look, with the boarded up windows!
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

Re: Owens Mesa- Update 6.1 - Breaux Swamp & Specter
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53 AM »

In the days where banjos and big band were in full swing, a spirit took home in a lumber mill. Reports of mysterious deaths and hauntings eventually caused the mill to close, although this never stopped the curious. Eye witness reports claim purple auras out of the corner of their eyes, some claim to have seen it moving towards them at a mesmerizing speed. Local authorities have dismissed rumors of the abandoned the mill for a lack of evidence, and sold the property to a development company out of eastern Texas. Surveyors and architects flooded the scene with dreams of a new and high-tech factory.
The main atrium was dark, and the bulbs of their flashlights burst. Beams above their head began to creek, and dust feel all around as the daylight that poured in the broken windows disappeared. The Specter was upon them. The men heard an horrifying shriek from above and black mass with a glowing purple center dropped down and consumed them. The Specter burst through the roof and up into the clouds as its aura grew larger, leaving behind soot and ash in its trail. It climbed to a dizzying altitude to devour the men, and when it was done, dropped what was left of the men down into the swamp.
Needless to say, the old lumber mill remains empty. Curious tourists and ghost hunters still attempt to break in, though they are always watched by the hungry Specter.

Length- 3,201 ft
Max Speed- 69 mph
Average Speed- 21 mph
Biggest Drop- 157 ft
Airtime Count- 2
Inversions - 3
Prestige- 5

Thanks for viewing!

Owens Mesa

JC8

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:04 AM by johnycanon8 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57 AM »
That's a nifty ride, and the story is suitably scary.

I noticed in the video that this type of coaster makes an appropriately spooky howling/moaning sound as its normal track noise---how convenient :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Well done. Great coaster.

I have a question...When the trains skims the water, did you make the splash with triggered events, or does it splash automatically?
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2017, 07:19 PM »
^triggered events. I would prefer more of a jet coming from the back in an arc, but the in-game effects work just fine.

Re: Owens Mesa- Park Map
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2017, 04:20 PM »

Now that we have explored all areas of the park, I felt it was necessary to release a "park map". The grand opening is near and regular season updates will begin soon!

Thanks to everyone for their kind replies and I hope you are enjoying the park so far!

Owens Mesa

JC8

Replies:
Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:23 PM by johnycanon8 »

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Love that aerial shot.  Nice work!

Offline mineraljunction

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2017, 01:56 AM »
A beautiful project, and really nice to see how the whole thing comes together in the aerial overview. Looking forward to taking a stroll through the park.

Owens Mesa - Season 1 - Fanboy Update
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2017, 07:20 PM »

Season 1 has officially commenced. Lets go into first person trip report mode:

A bright and beautiful morning at Owens Mesa! Grand opening was a few days ago and the park has been PACKED since.

First and foremost, I need my coffee.

I love the open market shop there, great place to grab a piece of fruit or something on the go.

I had to stand here for a few moments and take in the view. I'm ready for a day of adventure!!

I headed over to Steamers first, and the queue was already full. I'll follow the fellow peeps and come back another time.

I did however go up to the exit and tried to get a glimpse of what the ride had to offer. I see some animatronics and mountain-work!

Escalante was packed so I ventured over to Pueblo del Rio. Bearded Dragon's queue was long as well, but I sucked it up. +2 Credits!

Next I ran over to XB-1. The whole area had a great disaster/abandoned feel!

The area was rather light with foot traffic so I rode it twice!

Grab some snacks??

Shadow Swing was empty! Everyone was attracted to Specter so this poor ride was neglected. Oh well, more for me!

More to come!!
________
Thanks for viewing!

Owens Mesa

JC8

Replies:
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
Re: Owens Mesa - Season 1 - Fanboy Update
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 08:34 AM »
I think this the most realistically designed theme park I've seen with this game. A lot of that has to do with the scale at which you're building. It fits the peeps well, but also fits the coasters and larger rides well. Really well done, the detail is incredible.

Offline Quinn

• Whahaha... No.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 12:30 PM »
I love the way you present your park! It has a lot of charm just like the park itself. In almost every shot there's a nice coaster view in the background, very well done!  :)
Click the banner to visit my thread!

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49 PM »
The gas station is an unique idea, well themed! The rest of the park is not bad as well, I like your general style of building.